*** Official CCOM Class of 2011 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats to all of you attending CCOM :) with any luck i'll be joining this thread in a couple weeks when the next adcom meets! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Are any of you night owls who are going to try to reform and become "morning people" before school starts this summer? I've always been much more of a night person, and I like to study when it is dark outside.
With Monday and Thursday morning exams, I'm worried that I will need to change my habits so that I will be able to get my brain to function in the morning. Not to mention 3rd year when rotations will have us up at 4am...

I'm not sure how to go about reforming myself. I guess the easy answer is to try to go to bed earlier and get up earlier until it becomes routine.

University of Illinois Snow day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anatomy exam is moved to THurs :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what going on at CCOM? From what I’ve been able to gather, it involves tawdry flyers, a website, a petition, and a whole bunch of upset students.

Anyone know what going on at CCOM? From what I’ve been able to gather, it involves tawdry flyers, a website, a petition, and a whole bunch of upset students.

This is the first I've heard of it. Where did you hear about it? I hope nothing serious is going on :(

I hope that it is nothing serious! I've already given up other acceptances. There's no turning back now.

I hope that it is nothing serious! I've already given up other acceptances. There's no turning back now.

Sorry, I didn't mean to freak you (or anyone else) out. I wouldn't worry about it. All will likely be forgotten by next week.

Just FYI before false rumors get started.... these were posted by an unidentified harrassing individual and NOT by the girl. (I think they were photoshopped too) No reason to freak out, this will not "sink the school".

interesting scandal.... i'd stick with it bc it makes school more interesting!!! lol.

Keylimepie- being a night person is the way to go. even with a exam at 7.30 the next morning, sleeping by around 1 should be a-ok. well, i hope.
my only advice is to enjoy the fact that your in, and not worry about what is to come, there shall be plenty of stress ahead of us. :thumbup:

interesting scandal.... i'd stick with it bc it makes school more interesting!!! lol.

Keylimepie- being a night person is the way to go. even with a exam at 7.30 the next morning, sleeping by around 1 should be a-ok. well, i hope.
my only advice is to enjoy the fact that your in, and not worry about what is to come, there shall be plenty of stress ahead of us. :thumbup:

Good advice. I feel like I'm stuck in a holding pattern right now. Part of me just wants to get on with it and start school and part of me is scared beyond belief to begin!

Can't wait to start this fall! As a native Chicagoan, it'll be nice to come home again

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, i'll be coming to ccom in the fall... woohoooo really excited... hey do you guys want to hang out and get to know each other a little bit before classes start... anyway, i was wondering where Redwood Hall is on campus and if these are "nicer" than the regular dorms? on the MWU loan application, they ask if we will be living in dorms, redwood hall, or off campus (they have other options as well). So i was wondering what the differences were between the regular dorms and redwood hall?? thanks for any help??

ladpm & LastDance, congrats & welcome!!! :clap:

hey guys, i'll be coming to ccom in the fall... woohoooo really excited... hey do you guys want to hang out and get to know each other a little bit before classes start... anyway, i was wondering where Redwood Hall is on campus and if these are "nicer" than the regular dorms? on the MWU loan application, they ask if we will be living in dorms, redwood hall, or off campus (they have other options as well). So i was wondering what the differences were between the regular dorms and redwood hall?? thanks for any help??

I'm pretty sure the new dorms (redwood) are right next to the old dorms. Redwood is a lot newer, but is a little smaller. The old dorms are meant for 2 people but you get all the space. Plus, new dorms have the public kitchens on each floor and in the basement. hope that helps.

ND

I'd choose based on the school's reputation, residency match list, cirriculum, quality of education. Where do you stand the better chance of succeeding? If you have no answer, just go to the cheaper place. :thumbup:

Man...I cant decide between CCOM and COMP...california or cold-ass chicago...

someone pick for me...haha!

This is an easy selection - CCOM all the way! Why you may ask??? Well, here goes:
1) Facilities - No Competition - CCOM wins by a landslide. It has nice buildings, a great cafeteria, library, and workout area. COMP is a converted strip mall with the Med students being in one building the WHOLE day. It has no cafeteria, just a room with a microwave, no work out facility, and the library is small.
2) Location - Pomona seems ghetto. All the students I talked to do not live there and even if they do they have to drive somewhere else to do something good. Downers Grove is safe & cute. There is great eating & shopping about 10 minutes away.
3) Clinical Experience - CCOM hospital rotations are diverse & a large variety. COMP's may be similar but it seems to me that you have to alot more footwork to get the same quality.
4) Classroom - I like the idea of doing labs & working with microscopes, which CCOM does. COMP all the path & stuff is online. No hands on labs.

These are my opinions based on interviews, tours, and shadowing done at each school. The weather is not that bad. Unless you want to be close to your family, there is no choice better than CCOM!

After working so hard for it I am super excited to finally do what I wanted to do for so long! I interviewed in September and got my acceptance on Oct 30th! Just found this forum and this particular thread. Very much look forward to meeting classmates for CCOM Class 2011. I decided to live off campus. Kind over the whole roomie thing.. At the same time I realize that reliable friends and study partners are UBER important while going through the most grueling years of med training. So, this is my brief intro. Good to see you, guys, here!

Welcome to SDN KostaDO!

Welcome to SDN KostaDO!

Hi Kids,

Unfortunately, Ive decided to turn down my acceptance at CCOM for a school a little closer to home and a little cheaper. Ive already paid my $1000 total deposit. Does anyone know if there's any way I can get a little of this back, or is it completely gone? Ive heard of a few schools refunding a little bit if they are notified by a certain date.
Good luck this Fall. I really like CCOM and hate to be giving up my acceptance.

Hi Kids,

Unfortunately, Ive decided to turn down my acceptance at CCOM for a school a little closer to home and a little cheaper. Ive already paid my $1000 total deposit. Does anyone know if there's any way I can get a little of this back, or is it completely gone? Ive heard of a few schools refunding a little bit if they are notified by a certain date.
Good luck this Fall. I really like CCOM and hate to be giving up my acceptance.

That's too bad :(
I think there might have been something about refunds in the matriculation agreement that we signed. I can't remember and don't have it with me right now, but I'd check there first.

Alright, let's get this thread fired up again. I'm getting too antsy not knowing what I'm doing for housing next fall. At first, I thought it'd be easiest to just live on campus in a dorm, but it's extremely expensive and there isnt' even food provided. Therefore I'd rather find a decent priced apartment off campus that is really close to school. If I were to live in a 1 bedroom, I might as well live on campus. So.... I need a roomate or roomate(s). Some of the places I have looked at are moderately priced (500-600$) including a exercise room, pool, etc. Is anyone else interested? My gf would probably say that I am preferring a male roomate/roomates. Please PM if you're serious or would just like to talk and to see if we'd get along living together. I'm a pretty cool guy to live with (I think) and I currently have 4 other roomates in an apartment at the University of IL.

I have found a few apartments that may be of interest.

Clover Creek
Yorktown II
Covington
City View - closest one and nicest, most expensive

anyone know what's the parking situation CCOM?? Do we register the vehicle and get a parking permit?? Any parking related forms to be filled out before the school starts???

agreed, supervic. does anyone know if ccom will put out a list of roommates...? and how early are you guys reserving apartments? i live pretty far away so i might have to fly out for a week within the next few months to get this stuff going.

I saw a post that indicated that we had to purchase our notes for next year. I know that we don't have to purchase many books since the notes are so great, but it seems crazy that we're paying $40,000 a year for tuition and still have to purchase notes. Does anybody know how much the notes cost per quarter.

I have the feeling that this is the first of many times I'll feel like the outstanding tuition doesn't cover very much.

I hope that it is worth it :rolleyes:

I spoke to a Family Practice doctor who works in the Chicago area. He was very excited when he found out I would be attending CCOM. He told me he has been precepting medical students for many years and CCOM students are some of the best prepared academically and otherwise he has ever worked with. He said I would be very pleased with my choice. Can't wait to start.

Does anyone who has been accepted for a while now have their financial aid package yet? Any clue on the timeline about when to expect this information?

You mean the packet that CCOM sends with all the fin aid info? I recall receiving it 1-2 weeks after I got the health info packet. I had it all w/in a few weeks of my acceptance.

Even if you don't have it you can still fill out & file the FAFSA (& you should probably start on it). CCOMs deadline for priority aid is 3/2.

I interviewed early February, and was wondering if anyone has received any info yet about when the decisions are made in the month. Has anyone received any news? CCOM is my first choice and I am tired of traveling around the country interviewing.

I have a question for those of you who have completed the on-line financial aid stuff. I am almost certain that I will need Graduate Plus loans beyond the federal loans to cover the cost of tuition and living expenses. My question is should I complete Step 5 now (the application for Graduate Plus loans) or should I wait until I receive my financial aid award information? Does it even matter when we apply for those? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've turned into the resident CCOM fin aid adviser. :D

Ok, here goes...I, too, just completed my institutional stuff for CCOM (steps 1-4). I then asked the fin aid office if they recommended that I complete step 5 and received a totally noncommittal response. So, I decided I'd do it, just to have it done. The problem was that the 3rd question was "how much will you be borrowing?" (or something of that ilk). Unfortunately, the computer wouldn't accept my answer: "????"

Long story short, there's no way to complete step 5 until you know how much you'll be taking out in plus loans. I don't think you can do it until you get your award letter.

Congrats! You're done with the fin aid stuff (for now).

Is anyone else living about an hour away from school and commuting? I just wanted to hear your thoughts on this. I think I too will try to stay over on campus with friends for the two tests/week.

Long story short, there's no way to complete step 5 until you know how much you'll be taking out in plus loans. I don't think you can do it until you get your award letter.

Thanks for your help :D I appreciate it!

Do you get your financial aid ID and password (the things you need to fill out the financial aid stuff on line) via email or snail mail? Thanks!

Do you get your financial aid ID and password (the things you need to fill out the financial aid stuff on line) via email or snail mail? Thanks!

Snail mail.

Is anyone else living about an hour away from school and commuting? I just wanted to hear your thoughts on this. I think I too will try to stay over on campus with friends for the two tests/week.

I currently live & work in the city (Chicago), as does my husband. We decided to move to DG, b/c I’d rather dissect my own left arm than battle Chicago traffic every day (especially the Eisenhower). I didn’t want to have to deal with the stress of being stuck in traffic and thinking “I should be studying now” or “I’m going to be late for class, damn it.” Also, I wanted the convenience of being close enough to campus to visit whenever I wanted/needed to (left those notes for tomorrow’s test in the library…oops).

I realize that you’re situation may be different (maybe there are children involved?). It’s just the two of us, so we can pick up and move whenever. I’m sure you can commute and make it work. If you can manage to stay on campus the night b4 exams I think that would be really helpful. I know there’s no other way I’d make a 7:30am test (hell, I’ll be living 10 minutes away and I’m still worried about the 7:30am exams).

Those are my thoughts, for whatever they’re worth.

I am commuting..I have friends that have offered me a plce to crash on pre test nights. I guess I will see how it goes before I decide. I do not hink I am quite an hour away though, at least not when 355 is completed (which should be around the beginning of September). Good Luck!:luck:

I will be commuting. I live about 45 minutes to an hour away. It seems long, but the cost of living is cheaper, I own my home and there are many clinical rotations very close to me.
Besides, I am a morning person, so I may be one of the few people not dreading the 7:30 exams.
I do have friends who live close by if the weather is bad.

i've been eyeing this thread for some time now and i'm finally glad to say that i will be joining you all this august! i'm so excited! :)

Just to introduce myself, my name is Christina, i'm 23 and i grew up about 1/2 hr away from ccom. I went to University of Michigan for undergrad and then went to University of Massachusetts in boston for a post-bacc program and i've been working since last september in the pathology department. CCOM has been my #1 choice and I'm so relieved to be going to my dream school :)

Hey everyone! I will most likely be going to CCOM in the fall. I'm from MI, and I'm doing a masters program in Chicago right now. Just a quick question about housing- I'm thinking of staying on campus for the first year. Does anyone know what the process is for applying, and when we have to turn in forms? Thanks, and congratulations to everyone! :)

Hi Everyone! More than likely-- I'll be coming to CCOM as well! I've been living in NY for the past three years, so it'll be nice to come back home :)

Congrats to all of those with new acceptances! See you this summer! :) Does anyone know if there is an admitted students day or something of that sort? Just wondering since a lot of other schools do that.

Hey everyone! I will most likely be going to CCOM in the fall. I'm from MI, and I'm doing a masters program in Chicago right now. Just a quick question about housing- I'm thinking of staying on campus for the first year. Does anyone know what the process is for applying, and when we have to turn in forms? Thanks, and congratulations to everyone! :)

There's a housing application online under interact now. I woudl turn it in ASAP fi you want your choice of dorm.

Are most of you planning on living in the dorms? I think I want to live off-campus because I kind of want a kitchen in my apartment and such-- The apartments seem ridiculously cheap after living in Westchester, NY for the past three years!!!