*OFFICIAL* Bad grades thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asama527

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is intended to give hope to other people who have "not-so-good" grades on their transcript. Feel free to post your "bad grades" plus the subject you got it in.

I've done well in the admissions process so far with the following:

Biochemistry: C-
Inorganic chem: C+
Advanced Organic: C

And...I'm a chemistry major.

Members don't see this ad.

Oddly enough, I only have 1 C on my transcript in Intro Philosophy. I am, however, the king of the B's. I can get a B with ease, it is just gettinjg over that A hump that has been the downfall of my GPA. I am, however, staring down the barrel of a C in my cognitive psychology class this semester. The tests have all been multiple choice (nitpicky, "did you memorize the text?" type of questions) and I hate multple choice (all of the above, none of the above, A &B, B&A, C&D, A,B&D). I have also missed 5 classes due to interviews this semester. The sad thing is that I really don't care.

is intro to philosophy a difficult class?

I was going to take it next semester to see if it interests me....

do you have to write papers and stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
Physics 12: C-

That's what I get for taking 11 and 12 instead of 1 and 2.
<sigh>

Oh well, I'm in a Master's program now...hopefully not getting C's.

Originally posted by alleyez

Hey,

My bf is a Philosophy major and he says Intro to phi is a bunch of crap, and people shouldn't waste their time with it. Take a real philosophy class.:p

Originally posted by alleyez

Not at all. Mine required some reading (Plato, Descartes, Nietzsche, St. Augustine, and some others), but all in all it wasn't too bad. I got a C because my professor was a d*ck. I screwed up my first paper (the first one I wrote as a college student) because I used an unreliable source. He basically gave me a D- on the paper, but I kicked ass the rest of the semester. I got an A on the next paper as well as an A on the midterm and an A- on the final. When I saw the C and argued it, he told me "that was the way the curve fell." I went through all sorts of crap with the dean and basically gave up fighting it because it was making me aggravated.

Physics I Lecture: "unfortunately, a somewhat marginal satisfactory"

Biochemistry I Lecture: "overall satisfactory but variable"

Inorganic Lecture: "overall his performance was just satisfactory. I know he is capable of very strong work... but apparently my disappointment in his work was matched by his disappointment in what he felt was an uninspiring course"

...but on the flipside...

Physics Lab: "this is a strong evaluation in all respects"

Biochemistry Lab: "you worked hard in this lab and did a good job"

Inorganic Lab: "your performance in the lab was excellent... it was a pleasure working with you this term"

Physical Chemistry I: B-
Molecular Biology: B-
Physics II: B-

I majored in biochem and biology. Bet the adcoms will love those grades.:rolleyes:

Also had a bunch of B's to close my last 3 semesters, after a strong freshman year start.

Don't laugh but ...

Microeconomics : C

Painting II - B
Christian Family - B
I and II Corinthians - B
Microeconomics - B

Yes, you read that correctly. Bible, art and business. Those all should have been easy A's. Apparently I'm an expert at screwing up the "gimme" classes. I'm surprised I managed to get an A in phys ed, considering. :laugh:

Originally posted by Tezzie
Don't laugh but ...

Microeconomics : C

I'm not laughing, me too. Then I went and took the advanced courses and aced them.

Members don't see this ad :)
bad grades suck

I didn't think that Philosophy was hard, but I took World Philosophy rather than just plain intro. It was a great class. As far as out of major classes that I loved, this was definitely my favorite.

As far as bad grades go... I very nearly got a C in Astronomy, but the professor took pity on me. (I think I'll belive the course schedule next time when it says "physics experience recommended"). I've gotten a bunch of B's in chemistry, but I wouldn't really call that a bad grade since only 5/510 got A's in our class. Good professor, but BAD grading scheme.

Anatomy B-

How sad. I really didn't feel like studying that semester.

I was going to read this thread and reply to all the people complaining about C's. A few C's here and there are no big deal. Then I started reading about people who say their B's are bad. Are you people friggin kidding me? I don't want to see another post on this thread for a grade higher than a C.

Allow me to post the first bona fide "bad grades."

F: French Lab
D: French Lecture
C: Too many to list

Now seriously, people. Let's lower the bar.

Sorry.. but I had to post this one (even though it it's higher than a C - I went through hell):

Vertebrate Histology: B-

I took the one professor who likes you to draw on your exam with colored pencils and spend at least 40 hours a week preparing sections and studying for lab quizzes... ugh

Intro to Chemistry (essentially a hs chem course) - D
English 1B (missed deadline for rectifying incomplete) - F
General Chemistry 101A AND B - C
Intro to Algebra - C
Geometry - C
Intermediate Algebra - C
Calculus 110 A - C
Physiology - C+
Neurobiology - C
Biochemistry - C-

And you want to know something weird? In almost every other class I've taken, I've gotten at least a high B. Other than a few really bad semesters with a lot going on in my personal life, and a bad relationship with math, my transcript looks... not so bad. My overall gpa, however, is not so good, hovering around 3.0. I'm just gonna have to rock the MCAT.

Nanon

Physics II - C

The guy I took for this was an absolute sadist. 4 problems on an exam with almost no partial credit. It didnt matter if you went to class, did the problems in the back of the book, went to fricking tutoring - you would never be prepared for his exams. He loved to have problems like "derive a formula for blah blah blah using only blah blah". My lab partner had been through the class twice already:laugh: I never did find out if he passed (my guess is no).

Dankev -- I disagree. As a preacher's kid, getting a B in not one, but TWO general-ed Bible classes is beyond awful. You can only imagine the hell that is: going home to find that your parents have received a copy of your report card, and your dad not only asking "How did this happen?" but then telling the entire congregation from the pulpit about how you got a B in your Bible course, in his sermon about the trials of Job!!! :laugh: :mad: It was supposed to be a joke, but Dad has a way of letting you know that even though he's grinning, he's really pissed at you. Not to mention having 400 strangers know you are a disappointment to your parents. Ugh. I know plenty of people who caught a lot less crap for D's than I did for those two B's. It's all about how those grades affect your future or your family life.

Originally posted by dankev
I was going to read this thread and reply to all the people complaining about C's. A few C's here and there are no big deal. Then I started reading about people who say their B's are bad. Are you people friggin kidding me? I don't want to see another post on this thread for a grade higher than a C.

Allow me to post the first bona fide "bad grades."

F: French Lab
D: French Lecture
C: Too many to list

Now seriously, people. Let's lower the bar.

:clap: Here Here!

Physics I: C
Intro to Electrical Scienice (circuits): D
Vertebrate anatomy: C
History of Science: D
Intro to biomedical sciences: F

I will graduate with almost 200 hours and a lot of them Bs. I'm counting on a 3.4 overall with a 4.0 in the last six semesters (including summers).