Official Anime Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My top five:

Gintama
Cowboy Bebop
Attack on Titan
Detective Conan
My Hero Academia

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dragon Ball Z- the fight scenes
Dragon Ball GT- fight scenes
Dragon Ball- for comedic relief
Ruroni Kenshin- good story line until after the Kyoto arc. Then it was kind of boring.
Samurai X- more darker serious version of Ruroni Kenshin

The Boon Docks- Good American anime

Yu Yu Hakusho- fight scenes

Gundam Wing- great story arc and some good fight scenes

G Gundam- fight scenes were good.

Outlaw Star- pretty good fight scenes

Naruto Shippuden- good story arc

One piece- great story arc

Pokemon- an all time classic

Honorable mentions: Inuyasha and Full Metal Alchemist

This list contain some rather uncommon and dated anime. I am curious if anyone has enjoyed them as I did.

Kujakuoh- spirit warrior. Artist recently has passed away. First anime/manga to mix martial art, Japanese mythology with Tibetan Buddhism.
Garasu no Kamen: Glass mask, well known manga/anime about a girl who can act, competing for rights to a role in the Japanese opera.
The Story of Perrine: 1978, 53 episode. Story about a girl travel afar to look up her grandfather. Very moving story.
Candy, candy, 115 episode. 1975, girl grow up as orphan, very encouraging story.
Brynhildr in the Darkness: great sci-fi story, surprising ending.

Of course: Death Note, Goblin Slayer, DBZ, Gundam, Inuyasha, SAO, yoyohakusho, Naruto......

Anyone a fan of the original Dragon Ball? I never finished it, but I got through about 3 seasons and it is actually really funny. I hope to finish the series at some point.
Read the manga, it's 100% better. Read until Majin buu. Then, you can switch to anime.

Did you mean for Dragon ball Z? Or does Majin Buu come into Dragon Ball as well? I was talking about the show from the 80s when Goku was a kid.
From kid to majin buu, it's best to just read the manga.

Any thoughts on fullmetal alchemist? I tried it while back but it seemed too childish and cheesy. But also it’s highly highly rated.

Should I give it a shot and power though?

Any thoughts on fullmetal alchemist? I tried it while back but it seemed too childish and cheesy. But also it’s highly highly rated.

I love both versions. The newer one is probably better without nostalgia glasses though.

But honestly if you don’t enjoy it don’t bother with it. I don’t like One Piece and I don’t care how many people love it.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is really good. It starts out slow though but it’s worth the watch

Members don't see this ad :)
Attack on Titan is a pretty good action-packed anime! That S4 trailer is so hype! Isayama who is the manga writer did a great job in really adding depth and complexity to the plot and the characters.
HXH is also one of my all-time favorite animes. It's an atypical shonen with great character development and has one of the most epic villain groups (phantom troupe). The show starts off a little slow though.

DB (my first anime) and DBZ are all-time classics
Naruto and NS are amazing as well if you have the time to watch it!

Last edited:
Also highly recommend Demon Slayer. Great main character development and some of the best fighting I’ve seen in anime

Anyone a fan of the original Dragon Ball? I never finished it, but I got through about 3 seasons and it is actually really funny. I hope to finish the series at some point.
It was my first anime! I really enjoyed the original Dragon Ball. The early seasons are really light-hearted that have an "adventure" theme to it. The later seasons start to take a more DBZ tone as there is more fighting in these arcs. I really enjoyed the later arcs though. If you have the time it's worth the watch!

Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix really surprised me with how much I enjoyed it. Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys adult or mature animation.

Last edited:
more recent stuff that's really good imo

chainsaw man
spy x family
jujutsu kaisen
demon slayer

edit: i'll throw in some must read mangas as well
vagabond
goodnight punpun (absolute masterpiece)

1997 Berserk. Griffith!!!!!!!!!!
Yu yu hakusho
dbz

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix really surprised me with how much I enoses it. Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys adult or mature animation.

Were you happy with the ending? I was told it started out really good but then fell off the road toward the end. So, I am reluctant to try it.

I have heard great things about Pluto on Netflix.

I feel like I am going to take more heat for this but I think it is overrated. I just don’t get the appeal. It’s not bad by any means but it’s just ok for me.

It was epic! Chimera Ant arc was perfection!

more recent stuff that's really good imo

chainsaw man
spy x family
jujutsu kaisen
demon slayer

edit: i'll throw in some must read mangas as well
vagabond

goodnight punpun (absolute masterpiece)

hiatus hell!

1997 Berserk. Griffith!!!!!!!!!!

Music was phenomenal but animation was terrible (if you can even call it that considering 80% of it was just a slide show.)

I would kill to have a proper adaptation of Berserk from a reputable studio.

Were you happy with the ending? I was told it started out really good but then fell off the road toward the end. So, I am reluctant to try it.

I have heard great things about Pluto on Netflix.
I mean it’s impossible to please everyone but I loved it from start to finish. And season 2 is approved. The best episodes are 5 and 6 so I guess I can understand someone thinking the ending isn’t as good but no, I loved it.

Music was phenomenal but animation was terrible (if you can even call it that considering 80% of it was just a slide show.)

I would kill to have a proper adaptation of Berserk from a reputable studio.
Did you see the remake of it or something? If so I agree, that animation was really bad

Bleach, Robotech, Sakigake!! Otokojuku, one piece, and the goblin Slayer ones are pretty good