*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2016-2017 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm verified but the individual schools are listed as "verifying". How long does AACOMAS take to send out apps to the schools?

Members don't see this ad.

When you get verified, there are a lot of GPA's calculated: for example you have the Biochemistry, English, Math, Behavioral Sciences (depending on the prereq for the specific school). My question was, I know schools care about ALL of your GPAs but when people comment on the cGPA and the sGPA they mean the cumulative Undergraduate/overall for the cGPA, the cumulative Undergraduate Science/overall science for sGPA and cumulative Undergraduate non-science/overall non-science for non-scienceGPA? Just a bit confused as to exactly what GPAs are "weighted" more in terms of your application. Can anyone clarify?

I am confused too.. is the science gpa calculated solely off of the prereqs for that school?

I am confused too.. is the science gpa calculated solely off of the prereqs for that school?

Its simple I think. AACOMAS takes all of your grades, on every transcript, and (with grade replacement) calculates your cGPA. Then, they take all the science classes (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) and use those grades to calculate sGPA. It has nothing to do with the schools requirements, the AACOMAS has their own rules that dictate what will be called a science class etc. These two GPAs seem to be the most important out of all the many calculations that can be made.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my application to AACOMAS on June 1 and requested transcripts from 3 schools on the same day. One transcript was received relatively quickly (6-9), another not quite as quickly (6-15), and the third was never received at all. (Apparently it was lost?) I resubmitted a request for transcript from the 3rd school on 7-1 but it has not yet been received by AACOMAS. Is this delay in receiving my transcripts going to hinder my chances of receiving secondary applications and ultimately interviews?

I submitted my application to AACOMAS on June 1 and requested transcripts from 3 schools on the same day. One transcript was received relatively quickly (6-9), another not quite as quickly (6-15), and the third was never received at all. (Apparently it was lost?) I resubmitted a request for transcript from the 3rd school on 7-1 but it has not yet been received by AACOMAS. Is this delay in receiving my transcripts going to hinder my chances of receiving secondary applications and ultimately interviews?

No. If all you are missing is that transcript, submit as soon as AACOMAS receives it and go from there. The DO cycle is much longer than the MD cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I put on my AACOMAS that I am going to start a Masters Program in the fall or should I submit without it and take my chances (3.34, 508, extensive research) and then selectively update schools on my Masters progression?

Should I put on my AACOMAS that I am going to start a Masters Program in the fall or should I submit without it and take my chances (3.34, 508, extensive research) and then selectively update schools on my Masters progression?

I would selectively update the schools. I am facing a similar situation, however AACOMAS does not seem to have an area for this kind of thing.

So when you're looking at your verified GPAs they have quite a long list (or at least mine does). Adcoms will be focusing mostly on the overall and overall science and probably post bacc as well?

I'm verified but the individual schools are listed as "verifying". How long does AACOMAS take to send out apps to the schools?

NNFLowerz, you and I both submitted and were verified the same day and the individual programs are still "verifying" on my application as well. My GPAs are all listed as zero on the downloadable PDFs. I emailed AACOMAS asking about how long these will take to update.

NNFLowerz, you and I both submitted and were verified the same day and the individual programs are still "verifying" on my application as well. My GPAs are all listed as zero on the downloadable PDFs. I emailed AACOMAS asking about how long these will take to update.

Mine updated the schools saying "verified" about 4-5 hours after I was verified in general! Hope you get a response soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

AACOMAS responded to my email this morning and my individual programs are now "Verified".

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo I currently have 6 recommendations in my application. I haven't shadowed a D.O. yet, and my M.D. application hasn't come in yet. I want to submit my application soon. Do I have to remove some of the LORs now so that the other two can fit when they come in, or will there be a way I can include the other two once I do receive them?

Is it good to group things together in the DO app just like it is in MD? Or is it ok to have individual activities listed here because in the MD one we have a limit.

Is it good to group things together in the DO app just like it is in MD? Or is it ok to have individual activities listed here because in the MD one we have a limit.

There is a limit, you will have to look in the AACOMAS instructions to find out what that is... or email them.

Sooo I currently have 6 recommendations in my application. I haven't shadowed a D.O. yet, and my M.D. application hasn't come in yet. I want to submit my application soon. Do I have to remove some of the LORs now so that the other two can fit when they come in, or will there be a way I can include the other two once I do receive them?

Not sure about that. I think the limit is six. It may be they only accept the first six that arrive. Better email AACOMAS to avoid losing an LOR. Also, look into Interfolio. There is plenty of info about it on the forum.

So I submitted all of my LORs through AACOMAS, and I've filled out most of my secondary essays. I don't need to send an additional copy of the letters to the school since they should get them through AACOMAS, correct? Sorry, I know it's probably a stupid question but I don't want my secondary processing to get held up just because I didn't double check.

So I submitted all of my LORs through AACOMAS, and I've filled out most of my secondary essays. I don't need to send an additional copy of the letters to the school since they should get them through AACOMAS, correct? Sorry, I know it's probably a stupid question but I don't want my secondary processing to get held up just because I didn't double check.

Not unless you want to send extra letters!

The coursework section has two slots for credits. I'm a little confused about the second slot of credits. Is the decimal for credits? How would someone have a class that is 3.67 credits?

The coursework section has two slots for credits. I'm a little confused about the second slot of credits. Is the decimal for credits? How would someone have a class that is 3.67 credits?
I had a couple classes on my transcript that had an odd number of credits (ex: one of my freshman seminar classes was 1.5 credits), so my guess is it's for situations like that.

I had a couple classes on my transcript that had an odd number of credits (ex: one of my freshman seminar classes was 1.5 credits), so my guess is it's for situations like that.

Ok, so it is for decimals? I just wanted to make sure because some of those numbers seem odd.

Do summer classes work the same way as the MD app? E.g. summer classes I took before my junior year would be given the academic status of junior ? Or would it be sophmore if it after that year?

Additionally, should we include classwork that we will be taking next semester?

Lastly, how do I account for classwork from an accelerated BA/MPH program? Some of the classes I took last semester (my senior year) count towards my graduate degree. Should I list as senior semester courses or grad courses? In my MD app I listed as grad course but the year as senior year. But in that app I also listed grad school as a separate school.

So I just realized one of my experiences had an incomplete "detail" section. My application is already submitted and verified. Any advice on how to fix?? Feel like an idiot :mad:

should I create another experience and just label it as "corrected" or something?

So I just realized one of my experiences had an incomplete "detail" section. My application is already submitted and verified. Any advice on how to fix?? Feel like an idiot :mad:

should I create another experience and just label it as "corrected" or something?

In most secondaries, there is a question along the lines of "Is there anything else you would like us to know about you?", this may be a good place to explain that situation in more detail.

What are my chances for applying later in the cycle with average stats?

What are my chances for applying later in the cycle with average stats?
We need stats buddy. Avg as in 3.4/3.5 and 500?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, but I'm sure it's been asked before...

If I'm currently taking a post bacc class as a repeat of another class, and have it listed as a repeat, will it leave that original grade out, since I don't say what credits are involved with the first course that I am repeating? I have it in queue for verification (hopefully this week) and I am hoping to finish this class this month, but it's taken me longer than I originally intended due to job circumstances (it's an education on demand class).

Thanks for any light on the situation!

Sounds like a question for AACOMAS. Either way, you will have a chance for academic updates at the end of the semester I believe.

I rolled over my application from last cycle and I already had my transcript sent and received by AACOMAS in 2015.
I have all my letters and submitted my application on 6/30 and it still says "awaiting materials" They told me that they are waiting for my transcript but they already have it!
I called them so many times and they have been telling me that they will have the status updated to "received" in 24-48 hours...but it has already been a week!
Does anyone have similar problem??

I would keep calling them. Are you sure they aren't still trying to verify the old transcript? Or something like that?

I would keep calling them. Are you sure they aren't still trying to verify the old transcript? Or something like that?

I am not sure about that part. I only know that they thought I might send in an updated version of transcript so they did not put my application in line to be verified..
Now that they know they already have my transcript and I am not sending in a new one, they are going to change the status.. I am so worried that my app is going to fall behind and it seems like they are really close to verifying the ones that were sent in on 6/30!!!

Don't be concerned, it is still early. I bet you will be hearing something very soon. Call Monday for sure.

I am not sure about that part. I only know that they thought I might send in an updated version of transcript so they did not put my application in line to be verified..
Now that they know they already have my transcript and I am not sending in a new one, they are going to change the status.. I am so worried that my app is going to fall behind and it seems like they are really close to verifying the ones that were sent in on 6/30!!!

Even if they have your old transcript(s) and you didn't take additional classes, your application still needs be in line to get verified. I submitted 6/28 and it took exactly two weeks to get verified. Hope that helps!

How long does it normally take transcripts to arrive at AACOMAS? I understand it probably depends on the school, where your located, and what kind of shipping they use. But my transcripts arrived at AMCAS yesterday(no longer applying MD but had them sent prior to that decision) but no word from AACOMAS yet. The school sent them exactly a week ago today

Took mine about 2 weeks. I hate to speculate, but they probably have your transcripts and are simply going through stacks, marking them as received.

Hi,
I am working on my AACOMAS app and have a question - Under "program materials," it says that I have to list prerequesites for each school I indicated I was applying to. For these prereqs, should we enter every course we ever took within the subject (Ex: I could enter my graduate school classes in Molecular Bio? or would I just enter Bio I and II from undergrad?). I'm just a bit confused about this section. Like should I only enter the classes I did really well in? what is this used for?

Thank you to anyone who can help me!

Hey, did you ever get an answer to this question? I'm mulling over the same thing right now...

Updates: funny that right after i asked my question I went and emailed AACOMAS to ask if they had received it yet(I know sounds neurotic since they let us know when theyre "arrived") and the person responded saying it can take 7-10 days for transcripts to be marked as received after they are actually received (Like marrowist said most likely just stacks of papers theyre going through over there). Then about an hour later my transcripts were marked as recieved :banana:( I know not too exciting but hey I'm waiting here doing nothing while a lot of people are getting secondaries and IIs ill take anything lol). Not sure if its just a coincidence or not, but im satisfied.

Now the wait for verification. The "Verifying" icon is supposed to be grey correct? And will it change to yellow once they start reviewing it or something?

Updates: funny that right after i asked my question I went and emailed AACOMAS to ask if they had received it yet(I know sounds neurotic since they let us know when theyre "arrived") and the person responded saying it can take 7-10 days for transcripts to be marked as received after they are actually received (Like marrowist said most likely just stacks of papers theyre going through over there). Then about an hour later my transcripts were marked as recieved :banana:( I know not too exciting but hey I'm waiting here doing nothing while a lot of people are getting secondaries and IIs ill take anything lol). Not sure if its just a coincidence or not, but im satisfied.

Now the wait for verification. The "Verifying" icon is supposed to be grey correct? And will it change to yellow once they start reviewing it or something?

You have to submit and pay in order for verification to start. It will turn yellow as soon as you pay and submit to any of the programs.

You have to submit and pay in order for verification to start. It will turn yellow as soon as you pay and submit to any of the programs.

I have submitted and payed, some 25 programs lol. I submitted prior to my transcripts arriving for whatever reason. My assumption is it'll change to yellow within 24hours or so hopefully

Update: it's yellow now! Thank you!

Maybe someone can help me or has had a similar conundrum.

I carried my app over from last year and in the time between retook 2 classes to increase my sGPA. sent transcripts in and paid, 2 weeks later the counted the retakes as new classes and calculated my GPA accordingly. The retake was done at the same institution with the same course title and course number!

Can this be fixed with a phone call to AACOMAS? Getting real tired of them..

Maybe someone can help me or has had a similar conundrum.

I carried my app over from last year and in the time between retook 2 classes to increase my sGPA. sent transcripts in and paid, 2 weeks later the counted the retakes as new classes and calculated my GPA accordingly. The retake was done at the same institution with the same course title and course number!

Can this be fixed with a phone call to AACOMAS? Getting real tired of them..

Call them as soon as possible although they will probably say there is nothing they can do. Email the programs you have submitted your app to.

Call them as soon as possible although they will probably say there is nothing they can do. Email the programs you have submitted your app to.
Why can't they do anything ? What if I'm applying to 20 schools? I email 20 schools?

I was told before any of this by a aacomas rep that during the verification period they'll make the proper adjustments. This is so unfortunate considering the change in my sGPA is 3.35 to 3.5. Two 4 credit hour classes were retaken. One D -> A the other C-> A

I should not speak on what they can and cant do, but I have heard similar stories to this. Just call them ASAP, do not delay. And yes, you may have to contact 20 schools. Just a quick email explaining your situation. However, contact AACOMAS first!!!

I should not speak on what they can and cant do, but I have heard similar stories to this. Just call them ASAP, do not delay. And yes, you may have to contact 20 schools. Just a quick email explaining your situation. However, contact AACOMAS first!!!
I received the verification email at 8pm, calling them as soon as they open

EDIT: All has been resolved :)

Last edited:
Would it be appropriate to list my intramural championship in the "achievements"? Otherwise, I've nothing else to list there. I went to the University of Arizona so its not the easiest thing to win one of those leagues, and athletics are pretty dear to me.