Official 8/5/09 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radhika

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

August 5th is comming up soon! 2 months away!!! hope everyone has started reviewing!

This will be my third and final time...the first time i was expecting a lowins score and got a 24...the second time i was hitting 28 on the practice tests from aamc (practice tests 8,9 and 10)....but totally blew it on the exam and got a 22....so i have 1 FINAL shot....im not too nervous because i do know most of the material......thats my story!

good luck everyone!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it was somewhere around 10pm? It's one of the latest releases if I remember correctly.

i can't figure out what to do with my self....this score realease is giving me all sorts of bodyache....i think it might be the swineflu. lol.lol

scores wont be out till real late tonight because i have a class from 6-9. sorry to ruin it all for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you guys get your scores already so us 8/6'ers can get ours? :p Pretty please?

Members don't see this ad :)
if someone has a chance to call and actually gets an answer, please inform the rest of us :)

so what actually happens when the actual scores are ready? is it right on that MCAT Thx homepage or do i have to click on a link that says 8/5/09 MCAT? I'm nervous that if i keep pressing refresh it'll just pop up and i won't be ready for it and i'll totally freak out...

its the MCAT THx site right!? wtf this is taking forever
obviously they are just too lazy to manually post it.
i would think that they should care a bit that we are all going nuts while they take their merry time- but apparently not.
compassion is something they lack, i don't think that the posters of the scores would qualify to be a good doc.
i would also think that for $250 that we spent to take the test we should get our scores on time- yet i'm wrong again

PS: did anyone call them?

It is so unprofessional for them to continually post scores late. Absolutely unacceptable in my opinion. How hard is it to set your computer to have scores released at the time you told PAYING CUSTOMERS they would be given out.

Anyway, good luck guys. Getting my scores next week so I feel your pain.

obviously they are just too lazy to manually post it.
i would think that they should care a bit that we are all going nuts while they take their merry time- but apparently not.
compassion is something they lack, i don't think that the posters of the scores would qualify to be a good doc.
i would also think that for $250 that we spent to take the test we should get our scores on time- yet i'm wrong again

PS: did anyone call them?

yeah well, everyone questions their sympathy...then again, the AAMC is a business...and they operate just like the damn government. let's all band together and create our own MCAT....just like for college admissions there are the ACT and SAT examinations...the AAMC needs competition for them to really get to work.

Yea i tried calling them. They didn't pick up.

LOL. I guess my friend won the bet. He said they wouldn't answer the phone (he works at an admissions office and has an idea bout some very over enthusiastic applicants and helicopter parents) because they're working their butts off double checking the scores before releasing them.

I'm not laughing at you btw, but just the fact my friend was right. I was thinking the same thing that a lot of people on here think - that they're taking their sweet time/not caring, but hm, if my friend is to be believed, they're making sure the scores are right. He said the only thing worse than a late score is a wrong score, so they would rather err on the side of the late one.

Oh welllllllllll....I still want my score (I think?) aslkdjfalskjf :eek:

yeah well, everyone questions their sympathy...then again, the AAMC is a business...and they operate just like the damn government. let's all band together and create our own MCAT....just like for college admissions there are the ACT and SAT examinations...the AAMC needs competition for them to really get to work.

oh, that makes me feel better. i hate just not knowing...

LOL. I guess my friend won the bet. He said they wouldn't answer the phone (he works at an admissions office and has an idea bout some very over enthusiastic applicants and helicopter parents) because they're working their butts off double checking the scores before releasing them.

I'm not laughing at you btw, but just the fact my friend was right. I was thinking the same thing that a lot of people on here think - that they're taking their sweet time/not caring, but hm, if my friend is to be believed, they're making sure the scores are right. He said the only thing worse than a late score is a wrong score, so they would rather err on the side of the late one.

Oh welllllllllll....I still want my score (I think?) aslkdjfalskjf :eek:

no offense, but it is hard to believe that they spent over a month "double checking" the scores.
i mean it is done by computer, and posted by computer- why should anything need to be double-checked.
its not like a paper had to be scanned into the computer (like the old ones had to)

Actually, this guy works for AAMC and lurks on these boards. All he needs to do is update the database, but he'd rather watch us all go insane.
20070502-south_park_wow.jpg

http://www.thereheis.com/nucleus3.22/media/gallery/20070502-south_park_wow.jpg

no offense, but it is hard to believe that they spent over a month "double checking" the scores.
i mean it is done by computer, and posted by computer- why should anything need to be double-checked.
its not like a paper had to be scanned into the computer (like the old ones had to)

Ya that's what I said to him, but he said the essays scores need to be matched with the right PS/VR/BS scores/applicant and double checked. Not to mention AAMC deals with AMCAS and MCAT, + bureaucracy... Hm, say if we're doing a hypothetical - one to two weeks to grade the essay. Another one to two weeks to input them and match them to the right applicant. And then double checking/last minute.

Just a theory. But yes why they couldn't have gotten it done on Thursday? :p Friday? :p

Ya that's what I said to him, but he said the essays scores need to be matched with the right PS/VR/BS scores/applicant and double checked. Not to mention AAMC deals with AMCAS and MCAT, + bureaucracy... Hm, say if we're doing a hypothetical - one to two weeks to grade the essay. Another one to two weeks to input them and match them to the right applicant. And then double checking/last minute.

Just a theory. But yes why they couldn't have gotten it done on Thursday? :p Friday? :p
uh, the essays are also typed on the computer.
which means that they don't print out any essay for the grader, the grader just fills in a grade in a similar way that we took the test (multiple choice).
that is also automatic by computer

someone on twitter is posting their results from today- mine aren't posted yet- any of you 8/5 people checked in the last few minutes?

uh, the essays are also typed on the computer.
which means that they don't print out any essay for the grader, the grader just fills in a grade in a similar way that we took the test (multiple choice).
that is also automatic by computer

I agree with you that it should be pretty simple/easy since it seemed we had to fill out with our ID's, name/etc, but I can't think of any other reason why it would take so long and so last minute to post our results.

You would think everything is so computerized/easy to put together by now, but the tales I hear from my admissions friend makes me rethink that. He was talking about interviews/applications and guessing about the MCAT score release process. Where he works he says things are last minute because they want to prevent the mistakes of the past (which weren't that long ago) - they accidentally mismatched an applicant/sent out emails to the wrong people, sent accepted letters mistakenly to rejected applicants and vice versa. The school he works at is a pretty big one too, so it's more the typical experience rather than the atypical one.

But again, trying to guess and rationalize why it's taking so long!

I'll wager that the scores take 30 days in order to get people scared enough to sign up for another administration. There isn't any other realistic reason. These forums operate on a simple database similar to what would be required for storing MCAT data. I bet the forums have never accidentally logged you into someone else's account. They've never mismatched posts. The same is true of MCAT test data. That's just not how computers work.

Actually, I bet they also manually import the data into website. I don't mean line by line, either. I mean they probably move the dataset manually from tapes or through other means in order to keep it secure. That could take awhile depending on how they're accomplishing it. I still argue that the essay grading is done in about 2 weeks. The rest of the time is for people to second guess themselves and pay the AAMC more money! :laugh:

Actually, I bet they also manually import the data into website. I don't mean line by line, either. I mean they probably move the dataset manually from tapes or through other means in order to keep it secure. That could take awhile depending on how they're accomplishing it. I still argue that the essay grading is done in about 2 weeks. The rest of the time is for people to second guess themselves and pay the AAMC more money! :laugh:

non profit my a**

i was 1 point below my highest practice test, 2 points above my average. i felt horrible about the exam afterward, so it's way better than i was expecting. my writing sample score, though, was horrible. i usually rocked that in practice and felt really good about it on the day of (the only portion of the exam i could say that about) and i really bombed it. woops. oh well, i'll just bask in the results of the other sections :)

I got 2 points below my AAMC too :(
9 ps---RAN OUT OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10 bs---thought i did better
9 vr---thought i did worse

28R

FML

Just got my score;

PS= 10
VR= 8
BS= 9
WS= M

Total= 27M

Average AAMC was 28

Applying to DO schools. May have to retake in Jan.

38P, HOLY CRAP!

Not sure how I did so badly on the writing sample, but oh well. I got 13 on the verbal so who cares!

SO EXCITED!