**Official 2022 Dental Anesthesiology PASS/Interviews/Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know some one as low as a 3.0 being accepted into a program. A GPA in the 2 s might be difficult to impress them
I’ve heard the same

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know anything about St. Barnabas or Wyckoff programs???

Not interview invites or dates but just the programs themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not if programs start requiring CBSE.. I think it will narrow it down to people who are serious about it instead of everyone that applies because they think it’s convenient.
DA residencies require the CBSE now? GEEZ that is getting intense for admission. Which programs are requiring it?

DA residencies require the CBSE now? GEEZ that is getting intense for admission. Which programs are requiring it?
NYU, Ohio, Pitt, Stony, Jacobi requiring
Not sure about Toronto, Chicago, wykoff, Barnabas - it might be strongly recommended

Not sure about Toronto, Chicago, wykoff, Barnabas - it might be strongly recommended
I'd really be surprised if they required people to bang out 70s on the CBSE, but on the other hand DA is becoming a hot thing to apply to

It’s already happening.
I think requiring the CBSE is a good thing. I don’t know much about DA but I would guess there is some issues with medical colleagues not knowing what a DA is or what they do. Requiring an exam in the vein of the USMLE shuts down any discussion of not being a “real” anesthesiologist or dumb stuff like that. This can only be good for a DA and dentistry as a profession

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think requiring the CBSE is a good thing. I don’t know much about DA but I would guess there is some issues with medical colleagues not know what a DA is or what they do. Requiring an exam in the vein of the USMLE shuts down any discussion of not being a “real” anesthesiologist or dumb stuff like that. This can only be good for a DA and dentistry as a profession
This!!!! 100% agree. A dual degree omfs gets to go to med school. Most dual degree omfs will admit the MD is decorative as they often end up in private practice do to teeth and titanium and pay off med and dental school. (Cue the tape of them BSing during interviews about how they want to do research or go into academia. Bauahahaha). A single degree omfs can (in most states) do major head and neck surgery (can have DA as their anesthesia provider.) so yeah, saying you could pass step 1 of USMLE puts DAs on better footing. ESP bc DAs don’t have the luxury of an integrated medical program. They have to learn the things and do the cases all day, simultaneously.

This!!!! 100% agree. A dual degree omfs gets to go to med school. Most dual degree omfs will admit the MD is decorative as they often end up in private practice do to teeth and titanium and pay off med and dental school. (Cue the tape of them BSing during interviews about how they want to do research or go into academia. Bauahahaha). A single degree omfs can (in most states) do major head and neck surgery (can have DA as their anesthesia provider.) so yeah, saying you could pass step 1 of USMLE puts DAs on better footing. ESP bc DAs don’t have the luxury of an integrated medical program. They have to learn the things and do the cases all day, simultaneously.
Is an OMFS able to render sedation services solo, for other dentists, effectively functioning as a dental anesthesiologist?

Is an OMFS able to render sedation services solo, for other dentists, effectively functioning as a dental anesthesiologist?
I say this with a lot of love for our OMFS colleagues but the answer is yes and no

It’s not in their interest financially. Their model is moderate sed (dancing on deep sed bc they give propofol and ketamine) for short dentoalvoelar cases and mostly adults. They have 4 months anesthesia training. Their definition of a “peds” case is under age 18 (maybe it’s 5 months and under age 13 now, don’t quote me) and no special needs requirements. I’d find it hard to imagine that an omfs would want to leave the turnkey model of working in one office doing sed or just local to make the money on the procedures. I’d be hard pressed to see them want to do lengthy intubated peds and special needs cases. Increasingly OMFS colleagues are using DAs for their bigger cases (all on x, zygomatic implants etc) or complex pts/peds. Their operator anesthetist model is coming under increased scrutiny. That being said, an omfs who understands and appreciates a DA is one of the best people to work with!

I saw a couple of programs that recommended/will accept CBSE but none so far (at least for this cycle) that requires you to take the CBSE. But like a lot of people said, I wouldn't be surprised if all programs require it soon especially with more and more dental schools becoming P/F.

Members don't see this ad :)

Technically, yes...for now. More and more states are banning the one operator/anesthesiologist model.

Hey folks,

I could not find consistent or seemingly accurate information on potential earnings/salary for DA's. I would be grateful if any of y'all could help point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Hey folks,

I could not find consistent or seemingly accurate information on potential earnings/salary for DA's. I would be grateful if any of y'all could help point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Just PM'd you!

Good luck everyone! Just one more night of sleep until match day!

I hope you guys received good news!

I matched so maybe one of you guys will be my co resident 😀

Reactions: 2 users
Didn’t match, gotta try harder next time!

Also matched! 😃 so thrilled!!!! Hope you guys also get good news today.

Was not successful either but congrats to those who Matched today! 🙌🏼

To those who matched could you please share your ranks/gpa/externships and anything else that may be helpful for next year applicants?

Reactions: 3 users
General dentist
No post grad residencies

GPA: 3.4

Externships: 0
Applied/Interviewed/Ranked: 8/3/3

I'm not a very exciting person and below average compared to most people on SDN :censored:

Reactions: 1 users
General dentist
No prior residency

GPA: 3.6
Externships: 3
Applied/Interviewed/Ranked: 8/2/2

Hope this help somewhat.

General dentist
No post grad residencies

GPA: 3.4

Externships: 0

I'm not a very exciting person and below average compared to most people on SDN :censored:
congrats!! you definitely have something going for you and good luck on residency!

General dentist
No prior residency
Applied in 2019, but didn’t match

GPA: 3.3
Externships: 3

I took the CBSE and did “okay”. I recommend taking it.

congratulations to all those who matched! Can some people who matched post their CBSE score?

buddy wants to head this route, what is a competitive CBSE score?

If you didn't match, don't feel depressed. Unfortunately, the outcome of this process is highly arbitrary. You can excel in areas that are historically considered important, but your fate is ultimately decided by a small handful of program directors on their high horse and whether they vibe with you or not. I originally applied to OS out of school, then DA 2 times.

1 year GPR and 1 year private practice
GPA: Pass/fail, Top 1/3 of class
CBSE 79, ADAT overall 88th percentile, biomedical sciences 97th percentile
Volunteered and mentored in D school
Externed at 5 programs for OS, 1 anesthesia. Most programs weren't accepting externs during these last 2 years of covid.

No match.

If the CBSE is required next year, obviously take it. But if not- it's way too much effort to go through if you already have a good GPA and well rounded app for the possibility of it just getting dismissed with no interview because they didn't like your personal statement or something. It's a shame, because I think all applicants should have to throw down on a level playing field and prove their level of knowledge. It is what is is though.

Reactions: 1 users
If you didn't match, don't feel depressed. Unfortunately, the outcome of this process is highly arbitrary. You can excel in areas that are historically considered important, but your fate is ultimately decided by a small handful of program directors on their high horse and whether they vibe with you or not. I originally applied to OS out of school, then DA 2 times.

Externed at 5 programs for OS, 1 anesthesia. Most programs weren't accepting externs during these last 2 years of covid.

No match.

If the CBSE is required next year, obviously take it. But if not- it's way too much effort to go through if you already have a good GPA and well rounded app for the possibility of it just getting dismissed with no interview because they didn't like your personal statement or something. It's a shame, because I think all applicants should have to throw down on a level playing field and prove their level of knowledge. It is what is is though.
if you didn't match with these stats... next years cycle is looking rough for me. Did you apply to both OS and anesthesia this year?

No match.

I can tell you by experience my fate we decided on whether or not a huge figure liked me or not. I feel you, hurts that it REALLY comes down to connections.

No match.

I’m sorry to hear this, was this ur second time?

No match.

Your CBSE score is really great! If you got only 2 calls and dint match with these stats it’s so obviously clear that this whole thing has nothing to do with stats. It’s so unfortunate that there are only 8 programs and if a few PDs decides they don’t like you that much then one basically has no chance whatsoever of getting in.

I can tell you by experience my fate we decided on whether or not a huge figure liked me or not. I feel you, hurts that it REALLY comes down to connections.

I matched and I have no connections to anyone in dentistry, never mind DA. No one in my immediate or extended family is in dentistry, I didn't even learn about DA in dental school so I have no faculty connections, etc. Don't let lack of connections make you feel like you don't have a chance!

P.S. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. I've seen shady things like that happen before with other specialties.

I matched and I have no connections to anyone in dentistry, never mind DA. No one in my immediate or extended family is in dentistry, I didn't even learn about DA in dental school so I have no faculty connections, etc. Don't let lack of connections make you feel like you don't have a chance!

P.S. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. I've seen shady things like that happen before with other specialties.
Congrats on matching!! When did u graduate from dental school?

No match.

Some people feel this way, that a great GPA and high scores on standardized tests should be enough to get them in. And there are some programs where this is certainly the case. There are also programs where the director and faculty could care less about your stats and care more about your motivations for pursuing the profession. Your letters of recommendation also weigh heavily. To quote one of my interviewers this cycle, "Good grades and test scores doesn't equate to being a good resident. And being a good resident doesn't equate to being a good doctor." Everyone that gets an interview has basically met the qualifications they are looking for. Once you get to that stage, it really comes down to your personality. If I were you, I would reflect on that.

Reactions: 3 users
tlosmd- This cycle I applied only to DA with letters geared toward DA including one from an anesthesiologist. In the past I dual applied and I believe it was held against me even in this cycle with a fresh app.

Petunia- By that logic, everyone is “qualified” because they received a DDS. It’s a PD’s job to choose the top applicants. Personality and motivation are important, but those are incredibly subjective measures. How are directors going to determine that somebody’s motivation is righteous from a 30 minute interview and carefully crafted personal statement? Grades, class rank, and test scores are OBJECTIVE measures of one’s cumulative effort and knowledge base. Also, I would seriously disagree with that person that getting good grades, and especially being a hardworking resident, doesn’t usually equate to being a stronger doctor. Having a solid knowledge base is way more important than being a chill guy when it comes to being a skilled doctor. Maybe that philosophical difference is why I didn’t match.

That isn’t to say I’m not a chill guy or I don’t value being around other pleasant people. Imagine telling someone on the internet that you don’t know to reflect on their personality. Honestly, I think there are people in the match who just get unfairly overlooked or unlucky and there isn’t always an explanation, and I posted to help give others who feel down and out perspective.

tlosmd- This cycle I applied only to DA with letters geared toward DA including one from an anesthesiologist. In the past I dual applied and I believe it was held against me even in this cycle with a fresh app.

Petunia- By that logic, everyone is “qualified” because they received a DDS. It’s a PD’s job to choose the top applicants. Personality and motivation are important, but those are incredibly subjective measures. How are directors going to determine that somebody’s motivation is righteous from a 30 minute interview and carefully crafted personal statement? Grades, class rank, and test scores are OBJECTIVE measures of one’s cumulative effort and knowledge base. Also, I would seriously disagree with that person that getting good grades, and especially being a hardworking resident, doesn’t usually equate to being a stronger doctor. Having a solid knowledge base is way more important than being a chill guy when it comes to being a skilled doctor. Maybe that philosophical difference is why I didn’t match.

That isn’t to say I’m not a chill guy or I don’t value being around other pleasant people. Imagine telling someone on the internet that you don’t know to reflect on their personality. Honestly, I think there are people in the match who just get unfairly overlooked or unlucky and there isn’t always an explanation, and I posted to help give others who feel down and out perspective.
thanks for sharing!

For those who applied all 8 programs without prior residency, aren't St. Barnabas Hospital and Wyckoff Heights Medical Center require 1 year of residency?

Hello! I am a D2 at Roseman University. I am very interested in this specialty and have been shadowing a DA for about a year now. The doctor I spoke with at Ohio State had mentioned the CBSE is a requirement for the 2023 application year. Can anyone verify this? I just want to know if I need to start study now. Thanks guys!

I have spoken to a few of the program directors and they have reiterated to me that the CBSE will be a requirement starting this upcoming application cycle this summer.

I have spoken to a few of the program directors and they have reiterated to me that the CBSE will be a requirement starting this upcoming application cycle this summer.
Ohio state, Jacobi and stony brook are for sure requiring it this upcoming cycle.

Hello! I am a D2 at Roseman University. I am very interested in this specialty and have been shadowing a DA for about a year now. The doctor I spoke with at Ohio State had mentioned the CBSE is a requirement for the 2023 application year. Can anyone verify this? I just want to know if I need to start study now. Thanks guys!
Hey! I am about to be a D1 at Roseman in the Fall, and DA is something I am beyond interested as well! I have been in talks with a lot of DA department heads so if you want to know what they said shoot me a private message!

The OSU website states that CBSE is required