Official 2019-2020 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
glad to hear it! Best of luck to you. Here’s the data from this year for matching

the data for unmatched programs isn’t as helpful. Over 95% matched, so it’s a small number. Sometimes programs “didn’t match” because they took their own fellows outside the match.

thanks for the data!

how common is it for programs to take people outside the match?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, congratulations to everyone who matched! Unfortunately, I was not one of those lucky people.

US IMG from a small community program
Step 1: 230s, Step 2: 230s, Step 3: 220s. 2 rheum posters. 2 QI projects. 0 publications with 1 pending approval and another one currently in the works. Excellent LORs.
Applied broadly and went to 9 interviews. Got pretty good feedback about my application from quite a few PDs.

Any advice of how I can improve for next year?

I was thinking of doing a geriatrics fellowship at a large university program and reapplying again for rheum next year. Do you think that this will help my application? Or would it be better to work as a hospitalist and do research on the side?

Hey guys, congratulations to everyone who matched! Unfortunately, I was not one of those lucky people.

Step 1: 230s, Step 2: 230s, Step 3: 220s. 2 rheum posters. 2 QI projects. 0 publications with 1 pending approval and another one currently in the works. Excellent LORs.
Applied broadly and went to 9 interviews. Got pretty good feedback about my application from quite a few PDs.

I was thinking of doing a geriatrics fellowship at a large university program and reapplying again for rheum next year. Do you think that this will help my application? Or would it be better to work as a hospitalist and do research on the side?

propane, i hope this doesn’t deter you from reapplying. just a small detour in the career path

i like you’re idea applying for a geriatrics fellowship.

try to see if there is a large university program that also has an inhouse rheum fellowship. it would be great if you could get dedicated electives during your geri fellowship to go do rheum rotations.

likewise, i wonder if there are still open chief-year positions you could find.

Last edited:

Your application sounds so good! I think the geri fellowship or hospitalist sound like solid choices. For some reason, the field is getting competitive.. weirdly its sister specialties allergy/immunology and endocrine are getting much less competitive. Endocrine had about a 90% match rate this year!

propane, i hope this doesn’t deter you from reapplying. just a small detour in the career path

i like you’re idea applying for a geriatrics fellowship.

try to see if there is a large university program that also has an inhouse rheum fellowship. it would be great if you could get dedicated electives during your geri fellowship to go do rheum rotations.

likewise, i wonder if there are still open chief-year positions you could find.
Your application sounds so good! I think the geri fellowship or hospitalist sound like solid choices. For some reason, the field is getting competitive.. weirdly its sister specialties allergy/immunology and endocrine are getting much less competitive. Endocrine had about a 90% match rate this year!

Thank you guys for your comments and suggestions.

Yeah rheum is getting ridiculously competitive. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to the level of heme/onc and pulm/crit in a few years.

Thank you guys for your comments and suggestions.

Yeah rheum is getting ridiculously competitive. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to the level of heme/onc and pulm/crit in a few years.
its already more competitive than both of the above, very close to cardio. Only GI beats it.

Reactions: 1 user

I actually think doing a chief year would contribute the most to your resume vs. a hospitalist or geriatric fellowship year. Ideally a chief year at a place where they have rheumatology fellowship as well.

Reactions: 2 users
It is true that Rheum has become more competitive. I was curious as to what you thought were the factors. it doesn't seem to be salary, ( although I wish it was). Although perhaps salary is increasing a little? Is it lifestyle? Is it that people think biologics are cool? is it that people don't want to do hospitalist or pcp anymore? perhaps its that there is only about 100 or so positions in the country for 1st year fellows.
I just wanted your guys input and was curious
thanks!

It is true that Rheum has become more competitive. I was curious as to what you thought were the factors. it doesn't seem to be salary, ( although I wish it was). Although perhaps salary is increasing a little? Is it lifestyle? Is it that people think biologics are cool? is it that people don't want to do hospitalist or pcp anymore? perhaps its that there is only about 100 or so positions in the country for 1st year fellows.
I just wanted your guys input and was curious
thanks!

Interesting cases, can choose a purely outpatient lifestyle, big advancements in treatment options with biologics, etc...

Reactions: 1 users

I would look into doing a chief year. I had a similar CV as yours, didnt match 1st time. Currently a Chief at an external program and matched this year. The programs I interviewed at this year were better than the ones I interviewed at last year too.

Hi future colleagues! I was in the rheum match cycle last year and I'm currently a 1st-year rheum fellow. I would like to share my rank order list and the pros & cons of each program. Hope it's gonna be helpful :)

Hi! I'm applying to Rheum this year and happened to see your post, but was unable to download your file. Could you please PM it to me?
I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!