Official 2019-2020 Allergy/Immunology Fellowship Match Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone please comment on Children's Michigan? I heard pretty negative things on the interview trail from at least 5 different people. I do not want to post what was said as I did not experience this first hand. The future applicants should know this to make an informed decision.

I'll bite. I didn't apply to the breadth of programs that many others did, so I don't have a ton of comparisons. But the issues with CHM are really in the pre-application phase. The program itself has essentially zero presence on the web. If you google CHM Allergy/Immunology you get the department website, with info about conditions treated, appointments, etc, but nothing on the fellowship program. This seems to be different from every other program I researched. So, it's difficult to learn much about the program before you apply and interview. In the spring, I tried to get more info by emailing and calling and it took nearly three months to get anyone on the phone or to reply to an email. Finally someone from the main GME office says "so whaddaya wanna know?" I just found that strange. I was told the website was under construction but it still doesn't exist today. I heard from others that they didn't find out a final schedule for the interview day until just a couple days out, which made flight/hotel arrangements difficult and expensive. I was driving in so it didn't matter.

The interview day itself was pretty standard. There was no initial group briefing from the PD, but I went to other programs that didn't do that either. Then it was typical lunch with the fellows, rotating through the faculty interviews, hospital tour, etc. Very small program: only 4 faculty and one fellow/year. Robust peds immunodeficiency exposure with one of the faculty carrying the pager for the Michigan NBS program. The faculty were all very nice but didn't seem all that interested. Two of them really wanted to talk about other places I'd applied. One said "Oh, did you apply to ____? You'd be a great fit there!" As a very regional candidate very concerned about the prospect of not matching, it wasn't reassuring to feel like I was being written off like that. But it worked out. I also heard a rumor they had an internal candidate they wanted so it all felt a little pro forma.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll join the longtime lurker first time poster group. I stayed on brand with my username... I am an AMG at a university affiliated IM program with moderate research. Interested in academic or at least academically affiliated practice. I ended up over applying. Applied to ~55, forget how many invites I received, went on 15. In general all the interviews were friendly and collegial. I didn't meet any fellows in the interview trail who genuinely seemed unhappy. Here are some impressions of programs:

BU: Agree that it seems like an awesome program with a very collaborative and fun environment. Everyone was nice and seemed very happy. No weekend call as first year. Outpatient facilities at BU campus were brand new. You rotate at the BU main campus and the VA (which wasn't part of the day/tour). Allergy is not it's own separate division, it's part of pulmonary. However they seem to be expanding and recently hired new immunology faculty from Mt Sinai and UCSF. That being said the number of A&I faculty (as in, not grandfathered in after training in pulmonary) is smaller. Compensation is relatively low for the high COL area and you need a car.

Penn: Nice Program. PD is young and seems passionate about expanding the department. Of all the interviews had the best teaching session built in during the day. The facilities are all brand new. Downside is that they only take one fellow a year so call burden is high. Fellows seemed happy and were nice. Philadelphia has relatively low COL for the east coast.

Stanford: Solid program. Interview day was on the more disorganized/random side. The coordinator just kind of met me in her office and I met with faculty as they came in and out. Facilities were beautiful (It's Stanford) and they seem to have a lot of research opportunities. COL is high, but the salary and perks/benefits really make up for it IMO. Palo Alto was a little too suburban for what I'm looking for right now, would have ranked it higher if location was different. Fellows seemed happy.

UCLA: Nice program. PD emails invitation for a phone call prior to formal interview invitation. Setting up the phone call took a lot longer than expected. I don't know if this was some kind of test, but it was a little off-putting. Anyway, the facilities were absolutely gorgeous, probably second only to Northwestern. Everyone I met was super nice. The division chief is very involved in genomics/gene sequencing and it seems like great exposure to that area of A&I. COL is high, but the resident union recently won a lot of benefits and the housing allowance is generous. Majority of the faculty seemed to be from UCLA/Stanford so if you're interested in staying they seem to be really supportive. I personally didn't like the city of LA that much, but if I did (or had friends/family in the area) I would have ranked it higher. Fellows were happy.

UCSF: New-ish program, but has the UCSF name behind it so there's that. Benioff children's hospital is also brand new and gorgeous. The adult hospital is about 30 minutes away which seems like it could get really annoying (also you need a car in an already insanely high COL area). Faculty weren't as congenial as other places. One interviewer was pretty antagonistic about my research/grilled me about the rationale/hypothesis. It was kind of weird. They take one fellow a year from the medicine and peds side. Call seemed very busy.

UColorado/National Jewish: Great program with large faculty. Seems to run like a well oiled machine at this point with the didactics/journal club/board prep schedule. Second years take a graduate level immunology course several times a week at UColorado, which may or may not be your thing (the class is audited, you don't take the exams). Interviewers/faculty were all nice, but at the same time didn't just ask the standard "tell me about yourself" questions. You rotate through National Jewish (in Denver) and UColorado (technically in Aurora, the next town over). The hospitals are approx 20-30 mins apart, which may be a turn off for some people. PD was extremely nice, fellows seemed happy. Larger program with 3 IM fellows and I think 4 peds fellows (across 2 pediatric programs in Denver) so seemed like a big family.

Mt. Sinai: Great program, probably best in New York if that's what you're looking for. Large number of faculty, with a brand new division chief from Columbia. The only interview day where the PD didn't greet us and do the introduction to the program in the AM ... the third year fellow did. One of the clinics is going through a renovation so it will be brand new and in a prime UES location in Manhattan. Renowned for food allergy if you're particularly passionate about that field. NYC has a reputation for hospitals having poor ancillary staff, but the ancillary staff here seemed great (eg, low/no prior auths, you don't mix your own IT, etc). It's combined peds/adult and they take 3 fellows. Current fellows all seemed happy.

WashU St. Louis: Less of a fan of this program. Interviewed with ~8 faculty members, some of whom were clearly disinterested. One asked me pretty personal questions I felt uncomfortable answering. Don't remember many specifics about the program bc the interviews were off-putting. The hospital itself looks like its own city and it obviously has a great reputation. At least the food was good.

Northwestern: Seems like a great program with huge faculty. They take 3 IM residents and 1 peds. Most memorable thing about interview day was how insanely gorgeous this hospital/facilities are. Fellows were open about how hard they work, but seemed to enjoy it.

John's Hopkins: Great program. Everyone was super welcoming and nice. Interview day was 8-5, but went quickly. Fellows seemed genuinely happy and were involved with some pretty cool research. Allergy has it's own separate building with massive amounts of lab space for basic science research, with many faculty being dual MD/PhD. I think some people might be put off by the location, but it's not a bad city and you're close to DC and NYC.

Those are the main things/places I remember. One last thing I'll say is that I wouldn't put much, if any, stock in post-IV communication. Through anecdotal and personal experience, being told anything by a program shortly before submitting your rank list means nothing. I wouldn't let it affect how you rank programs or get your hopes up about one place in particular. I matched to my second choice and am thrilled. Good luck to future applicants and I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Love it that more people are posting impressions! This is the most active post match thread for AI so far!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can write a few impressions. I was applying very regionally and had a pretty good idea of my preferences even before my interviews. So mostly I was judging based on overall impressions, were the faculty and fellows happy and enthusiastic, was there a decent breadth of clinical experiences, etc. I didn't look much at call and clinic schedules, figured there would be lots of variation there and pluses and minuses to any particular arrangement.

Cleveland Clinic - this was my first interview, I was nervous, it's mostly a blur. Overall a positive impression. I think I remember they did almost all clinic/consults in the first year and the second year was mostly research, instead of a more even mix. Fellows were happy. Group interviews felt like they should be intimidating but were actually pretty casual. One of the faculty asked me questions about things that weren't on my ERAS CV (I guess I was googled), which sounds creepy but was actually pretty fun. Fell down my rank list based on location.

Ohio State/Nationwide Children's - really loved this place. Spent the whole day with the fellows, who were very excited and happy. Marathon interview day meeting basically every single faculty member (like 15 or so). The one I didn't meet they set up a phone interview with the following week. Really emphasized their 50/50 adult/peds split, as well as the fact that they don't push people into academic vs private practice careers. Columbus is a great place to live with very affordable cost of living.

Cincinnati - highly academic, definitely emphasized that they are in the business of training physician-scientists. Was one program with IM and Peds tracks, apparently now will be two separate programs (this doesn't matter much to the fellows though, who will still work together and have similar schedules). Fellows said they work hard but are very happy. Lots of support for a third year where you are basically a clinical staff with a research grant. Interview day ended with a group meeting with the division chief, who went around the table doing some light-hearted pimping. That was different. Dinner the night before and hotel were covered, which was nice.

Michigan - wanted to like this program. Like Cincinnati, open about the fact they're training scientists. Large faculty but only met and interviewed with 4 or 5. Extensive tour of two different clinical labs, which felt a bit superfluous. Unfortunately the fellows were unhappy. Not just *seemed* unhappy but openly expressed it to us. Felt neglected and overworked. That, and the fact that the faculty seemed unaware of it, were the biggest red flags.

Henry Ford - smaller program, limited opportunity for basic science research, most fellows do clinical/cohort studies and go into private practice. Lots of hopping around to do consults at multiple hospitals. Adult-heavy but has a partnership with Children's Michigan. You're enrolled in a grad-level immunology course during your first year. The faculty were all very nice and the fellows are happy.

I interviewed at a couple others but don't really have much to say about them. Hope this helps for next year's group.

Reactions: 2 users
Love it that more people are posting impressions! This is the most active post match thread for AI so far!
I really do like that y’all are giving back after matching...wished other fora...* cough*endocrinology*cough* would do the same...everyone is gung ho to say where they are getting interviews but not really willing to help after...cudos to A/I for doing so.

Reactions: 1 user
Vanderbilt
Nice people, well established, good balanced training, nice call schedule with lots of fellows (heavier in first year but lightens up nicely 2nd year), decent cost of living, hospitals are reasonably close to one another (except the peds clinic is a 20min drive or so). Uses Epic. Nashville seems like a cool city. They have a very nice and detailed website which really lays out the program pretty transparently. Older facilities.

NJH/CU - IM
Nice faculty, well established. Call is about ¼ of the 1st year and then pretty much no call at all in the second year. Amazing internal medicine/allergy training, plenty of sick tertiary referral type stuff. Denver is very nice. Seems a lot of grads go into private practice, at least recently. Seems a bit light on the peds training. There is quite a push into bench research as a second year. NJ and CU on different EMRs (allscripts and epic, respectively). COL is pretty high.

Scripps:
Casual, cool people. Nice schedule, very flexible, minimal inpt consults. Minimal structured didactics. Plenty of funding to attend conferences. You only take consults at scripps green and spend two months at Rady childrens. Every day is essentially a mix peds and adult because you are seeing whatever your attending has scheduled. The clinic doesn’t need you to run it, so you can take your time off pretty much whenever you want (20 days per year). Lots of research flexibility – you can do clinical or bench and everything in between, you can do research-lite and just pick up more clinic too. San Diego is beautiful. They essentially run an academically driven private practice model where you are partnered with one attending for two months at a time. San Diego is expensive. Lack of formal structure for didactics is both good and bad.

UCSD:

Plain and simple, this is a program for someone who strongly desires a research career. I think if that’s your pathway, this program would suit you very nicely. Very nice people and culture but they are very clear about what they want in an applicant – one interviewer pretty much said that it probably wasn’t the best place for someone wanting to go into private practice. HAE city. Only two fellows so you’re on call every other week and you cover multiple hospitals.

Iowa:

Nice schedule – you work clinic in the AM and have the afternoon to see consults, do research, do elective clinics, …or whatever. Wednesday didactic in afternoon. Great people. Focus on clinical training and not a huge push for research. Great culture. City is low COL, good jobs for spouse, and nice …but it is in the middle of nowhere. Consult burden seems minimal – fellows are on call every third week and can split it however they want. Only one scheduled didactic weekly. Iowa city is a very cute, nice college town, but relatively isolated, 30min drive to a regional airport which will often have other connecting flights if you’re trying to go anywhere far. Weather…it’s the Midwest.

Wisconsin:

Great institution. Schedule isn’t bad – call is every 4th week and when you’re on call, you only have 2 half day VA clinics which is at the medical center where you’d be getting consults. Research heavy but seems readily available. Nice mid west city. Good cross training because Peds is a strong dept within division. Minimal driving between facilities because the 3 main hospitals are all on site, clinics are 20min away but you are at the hospital campus for the week you are taking call. Super nice people and very relaxed. Faculty loves research and expects us to love it. Mid west weather.

U Michigan – They are very clear about wanting to train physician-scientists or academic allergists. They spent a lot of effort touring us through the labs. It is a very beautiful campus. They have a large faculty. They clearly have funding. Unfortunately, the fellows were very unhappy. It was awkward. Also, apparently the PD told all of us that day that he “was ranking us very highly” or something along those lines…a red flag when all the applicants figure out they were told the same thing. Either we were some highly select cohort or it was a sales tactic. In addition to wanting the fellows to produce original research, they also have them regularly making lectures/presentations that were reportedly quite time consuming. I think this is probably a strong program for someone who clearly wants a research career or who wants to be academic faculty. To his credit, the PD was very forthcoming about this and pretty much said their program was not a good choice for those who are planning on going into private practice.

UTSW

Happy fellows and faculty, everyone genuinely seemed to get along well. Very nice consult/call structure – basically, you’re on for 2 weeks out of every 8 but during the consult weeks you only have continuity clinic two half days a week and didactic/conference, so you’re not fielding calls while still having a full week of clinic. Clinically focused with readily available bench and clinical research opportunities, but no shame about sending people to private practice. They incorporate exposure to private practice and attempt to train fellows on the that aspect of things. Dallas is large city with abundant suburbs, COL is reasonable. All sites (parkland, university hospital, childrens hospital, clinics) are on the same campus. Essentially 50/50 mix of peds/adult.

Starting salary for someone who completed a A/I fellowship? As far as I know or better read on sdn, this should be a boost of income but couldn’t find any concrete numbers...

Anyone else getting kind of constantly ribbed about their career choice? I’m getting a lot of “wow that’s a nice life” or “ok [blank stare]” or like eyebrow raises and laughing after answering the constant “what are you going into” question. Literally have gotten “well you said you were going into allergy so i figured you wouldn’t want to do it” as the explanation from the attending when procedures on my patients are given to other random residents.
I’ve kind of given up on trying to explain why I have chosen the field and the rewards of treating extremely prevalent problems that greatly affect quality of life. Planning on a career in academic pediatric allergy so really not going into it for the $$.
Anyone have a similar experience?

Anyone else getting kind of constantly ribbed about their career choice? I’m getting a lot of “wow that’s a nice life” or “ok [blank stare]” or like eyebrow raises and laughing after answering the constant “what are you going into” question. Literally have gotten “well you said you were going into allergy so i figured you wouldn’t want to do it” as the explanation from the attending when procedures on my patients are given to other random residents.
I’ve kind of given up on trying to explain why I have chosen the field and the rewards of treating extremely prevalent problems that greatly affect quality of life. Planning on a career in academic pediatric allergy so really not going into it for the $$.
Anyone have a similar experience?

I’ll give you my experience which has been overwhelmingly positive. I’m interested in private practice and not academic medicine so I think the opinion varies. Mostly everyone has told me that’s a great choice for lifestyle and a great pay. I get a feeling you’re in a largely academic center and among these folks there is at times little respect for AI due to their preconceived notions of “just treating seasonal allergies”. I don’t think even physicians know what exactly Allergists do. You know what you want in life and that’s all that matters. Everyone has different priorities in life. If waking up at night to do a cath makes you truly happy, then go nuts. It just ain’t me.

Reactions: 4 users
I often get people saying things like "I can't believe you're not doing pulm crit" or "you're gonna be so bored treating runny noses all day." Even amongst residents, I think people just really don't understand what we do in A/I. I try to explain why it's such an awesome, fulfilling field but I think it's just overlooked by many residents. In terms of non-physician family and friends, yeah, hahah, they just don't get it. My dad has asked me multiple times why exactly I am training so long if I'm just gonna treat allergies. Oh well, probably best kept secret in medicine...might as well keep it that way.

Thanks y’all. You hit the nail on the head that my program is quite academic+inpatient-focused and most people barely ever see any of the allergists. Appreciate you listening to my venting and counting down the days to fellowship!

Hey yall M3 here interested in AI fellowship down the road (long ways away). Can I have some of you guys/girls input on what made you decide to go into AI? Its nice to hear perspective from those that are much further along than me and can give me educated input since youve all gone through the motions already. Entire time in med school I have been obsessed with immuno and have shadowed several allergists. Interested in outpatient pvt practice as opposed to academic. Also am a DO student so I am trying to match a solid mid tier uni IM program so I have more options. How will being a DO affect me applying to the top AI programs even if I were to come from a solid mid tier IM program?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey yall M3 here interested in AI fellowship down the road (long ways away). Can I have some of you guys/girls input on what made you decide to go into AI? Its nice to hear perspective from those that are much further along than me and can give me educated input since youve all gone through the motions already. Entire time in med school I have been obsessed with immuno and have shadowed several allergists. Interested in outpatient pvt practice as opposed to academic. Also am a DO student so I am trying to match a solid mid tier uni IM program so I have more options. How will being a DO affect me applying to the top AI programs even if I were to come from a solid mid tier IM program?

I can’t comment about specifics of matching given that I have never served on any sort of committee looking at applications—I’m also an MD and a peds resident so I don’t know if I can help with your specific situation either.

A/I is appealing to me because I enjoy the pathophysiology of the conditions, appreciate improving quality of life for a large segment of the population, and have a research interest in understanding allergic conditions. I also was lucky enough to attend AAAAI several times and just generally felt like “these are my people”.

I think the amount you can help a child with a very severe eczema or an adult with terrible seasonal rhinitis is often overlooked because it’s not a life-and-death situation. For one of my favorite patients in medical school, you could tell on his growth chart when he started Xolair for his epically bad asthma because his weight went down significantly from >99th % to back on the chart because he was no longer getting steroid bursts like Q2 weeks. I also think we maybe don’t realize how bad people‘s seasonal allergies are until they come into the office having stopped all of their anti-histamines for x amount of time prior to getting skin tests. Could definitely go on and on about the impact of treating and coming up with solutions to problems that affect huge portions of the population rather than focusing on small problems that affect only a couple people in the world.

All of the above combined with call that isn’t that bad and a pretty good lifestyle even in academics also is a draw... The fact that I will basically never be in the hospital at night again after my residency ends on June 30 is so exciting to me. It is also probably one of the few specialties coming out of pediatrics where you could decide to become a private practice physician if you did not want to do academics. There are also opportunities in pharma and A/I is definitely very straightforward about this — when they talk about career paths at Chrysalis at the AAAAI meeting they have someone from industry come talk. Seems less taboo than in other (at least pediatrics) fields.

I can’t comment about specifics of matching given that I have never served on any sort of committee looking at applications—I’m also an MD and a peds resident so I don’t know if I can help with your specific situation either.

A/I is appealing to me because I enjoy the pathophysiology of the conditions, appreciate improving quality of life for a large segment of the population, and have a research interest in understanding allergic conditions. I also was lucky enough to attend AAAAI several times and just generally felt like “these are my people”.

I think the amount you can help a child with a very severe eczema or an adult with terrible seasonal rhinitis is often overlooked because it’s not a life-and-death situation. For one of my favorite patients in medical school, you could tell on his growth chart when he started Xolair for his epically bad asthma because his weight went down significantly from >99th % to back on the chart because he was no longer getting steroid bursts like Q2 weeks. I also think we maybe don’t realize how bad people‘s seasonal allergies are until they come into the office having stopped all of their anti-histamines for x amount of time prior to getting skin tests. Could definitely go on and on about the impact of treating and coming up with solutions to problems that affect huge portions of the population rather than focusing on small problems that affect only a couple people in the world.

All of the above combined with call that isn’t that bad and a pretty good lifestyle even in academics also is a draw... The fact that I will basically never be in the hospital at night again after my residency ends on June 30 is so exciting to me. It is also probably one of the few specialties coming out of pediatrics where you could decide to become a private practice physician if you did not want to do academics. There are also opportunities in pharma and A/I is definitely very straightforward about this — when they talk about career paths at Chrysalis at the AAAAI meeting they have someone from industry come talk. Seems less taboo than in other (at least pediatrics) fields.
Thank you for your input!

OK, I channeled my general nervousness about the rank list being done into writing down my impressions of programs (because this is what I was always looking for in previous years' threads--hopefully others can add their 2 cents as well). This is from the perspective of a pediatrician looking for an academic career. Honestly, the programs were A LOT more different from each other that I was expecting!

Interview Impressions (in alphabetical order)
Boston Children’s: Peds >> Adults. Big children's hospital.
Lots of immunodeficiency, also lots of inpatient (and ED?) consults for allergy. They have separate Allergy and Immunology inpatient services. There are blocks of covering the Allergy pager + service and the Immunology pager + service. Fellows also cover pediatric Rheumatology, including the inpatient service and call, for 3 months a year. This includes a “Kawasaki Disease” pager. I think this could be interesting if you are someone interested in those immunodeficiency/rheum overlap “immune dysregulation” patients. If I remember correctly, fellows had a lot of involvement in peri- and post-BMT patients. This was one of the places where I wondered if you were being trained to be “an A/I at this particular institution” rather than a general Allergist/Immunologist. Research opportunities (basic, translational, clinical) plentiful with clear funding for 3rd year. Strengths seem to be immunodeficiency and food allergy. Some fellows were also doing research at other institutions in Boston.

CHOP: Peds >> Adults. Big children's hospital.
First year heavy clinically, third year is a “pretending” along with research. Similar to Boston, lots of immunodeficiency in addition to allergy. They have inpatient services—seemed like mostly immunodeficiency but also could admit asthma patients/anaphylaxis obs patients known to the department. Seriously beautiful outpatient facilities. Fellows seemed happy and attendings were friendly. Third year funding seemed guaranteed. Many different research opportunities in immunodeficiency and food allergy (+related conditions), or in collaboration with departments outside A/I. Multiple young faculty who either have K’s or are close to K’s from who graduated from the fellowship.

Children’s Colorado: Peds >> Adults. Big children's hospital.
Due to large catchment area, see pretty good amount of immunodeficiency in addition to doing tons of allergy/food challenges. I don’t think they have an inpatient service. It was unclear from their website whether a third year was even an option but once there at the interview it was clear that this would be an option for folks interested in academic careers. They seem to still be building their research program but it seems like a matter of combining the many resources and patient populations already available. Active/growing programs in food allergy, EoE (with peds GI), immunodeficiency, clinical laboratory A/I. They referenced their “divorce” from NJH a lot, and I think this was not necessary – a lot of folks interviewing probably aren’t super aware of it and I think they could just play to their strengths. Faculty generally friendly and welcoming, program coordinator is awesome, fellows seemed happy.

Cincinnati Children’s: Peds >> Adults. Big children's hospital.
Good at basically everything, but areas of particular expertise/exposure include eosinophilic disease, food allergy, asthma, HLH, immunodeficiencies. I don’t think they have an inpatient team. Consult service seemed active but manageable. Excited about building careers of future fellows. Spend time in a very established, academic-minded private practice. Moving towards having the fellowship be structured as either A) a 2-year experience for people looking for private practice/clinician educator careers B) a 3-4+ year experience for people looking for research-driven careers. Have research programs in areas listed above in addition to an Immunobiology department fellows can work/collaborate with. Fellows seemed happy, faculty were friendly and approachable. Dinner was fun. Paid for hotel.

MGH: Peds = or slightly < Adults? Smaller children's hospital.
One fellow estimated their inpatient consults were probably 20% pediatrics, 80% medicine (with like ½ of the medicine consults being drug allergy). Do >600 drug desensitizations a year but have hired APPs to help with this. Also described having “e-consults” that are handled by 2nd years, 3rd years, and faculty. Said they had implemented these things partly to optimize/improve learning for actual in-person consults. No inpatient service, get NICU/abnormal TRECs consults but no transplants. Tons of opportunities for research, additional degrees that are well-supported by the department. Third year funding essentially guaranteed. Strengths include drug allergy, HAE, food allergy, mechanistic/translational allergy. Working on building the immunodeficiency program. Many (most?) junior faculty members come from the fellowship and it they were well-supported by the department while bridging from fellowship to first grants. Everyone was friendly and fun to meet with – this is a place that does 2 “panel” interviews with you + 3 faculty members in addition to a 1-on-1 interview. Lunch with fellows had 4 out of the 6 in the program in attendance and was a blast.

NIH: Peds* = Adults. Work at some larger children's hospitals.
Exposure to bread-and-butter A/I outside the NIH, crazy weird stuff at the NIH. Clinical training is split between GW (adult), Children’s National (pediatrics—A/I and an NIH attending has an immunodeficiency clinic there), Johns Hopkins (pediatrics—lots of food allergy), and the NIH. At the NIH, you spend 6 weeks on their inpatient service first year and second year supervising a resident team taking care of patients with rare immunologic diagnoses. Spend time in clinic seeing patients on “protocols”. As a pediatrician, one *caveat is that they don’t admit kids under the age of 2-3 (due to the lack of a PICU or Peds ED I think?)—hence the pediatrics experience elsewhere. This was the other place where I wondered if you were being trained to be “an A/I at this particular institution” rather than a general Allergist/Immunologist. There’s been some faculty turnover recently and some of the personalities seem pretty big, but there are awesome opportunities in many areas of A/I including immunodeficiency (duh), eosinophilic disease, mast cell disease, food allergy. The resources for research and clinical work (because you don’t have to worry about insurance) are incredible. Over a three-year fellowship, $60,000 of loans (+taxes) are paid off by the NIH/government.

Northwestern (Lurie/Peds): Peds >>Adults. Big children's hospital.
Strong clinical allergy and immunodeficiency. Good support for fellows who would like research careers through a pretty structured T32. I’m not sure if it’s because it was awkward that several people had not read my application, or because the interviews were in a building far away from the hospital, but this one didn’t stand out as much as I expected it to. I don’t remember a ton of specific things that made it stand out. A fellow specifically mentioned it could be hard to get into translational projects and some are being mentored by faculty who were previously at Northwestern but have moved to other institutions. Most of the labs are on the adult side.

San Diego: Peds = Adults. Big children's hospital.
Strong clinical program, strengths are in HAE, clinical food allergy, eosinophilic esophagitis. Clinical experiences at the University Hospital, the VA, the Children’s Hospital (Rady), I think another adult hospital, an academically-affiliated practice, and Kaiser (sometimes with the editors of JACI: In Practice). I don’t think there’s an inpatient service. Because of the number of NICUs in San Diego and the size of Rady, see plenty of immunodeficiency. Have capability to get WES results in <7 days, don’t transplant yet (send to UCLA) but looking to start a program. Major HAE referral center. Recently have had a lapse in T32 funding – fellows mentioned that more of their clinic time has shifted to the VA due to funding changes. Did seem like with the right project/mentor third year funding was very available. Most active research seemed to be in the areas mentioned above in addition to basic/translational work with allergic effector cells. Faculty were friendly and approachable, fellows seemed happy.

UNC: Peds = Adults. Smaller children's hospital.
Really well-balanced clinical program in terms of adult and peds. Strengths include food allergy (including major clinical trials/translational work and alpha-gal), asthma, environmental effects on lung health. Just hired new faculty member to help immunology program continue to grow. Spend time both in Chapel Hill and in Raleigh (like 20-30 min away) for clinic. No inpatient service. Optional 3-year program with funding for third year. Supportive of fellows running with new ideas for research projects. In addition to the allergy/asthma/lung work above, there are also opportunities to work on A/I projects with GI (one of the fellows was in a GI lab). Collaborative environment. Everyone at UNC was friendly and approachable, fellows seemed happy.

Wisconsin: Peds = Adults. Smaller children's hospital.
Another really well-balanced program age-wise – was pretty neat that the adult and peds clinics are literally next to each other on different hallways in the same building. No inpatient service. Clinically, strong asthma and allergy, less immunodeficiency (one fellow commented that they might not see enough but I’m not sure if I agree after talking to faculty). Strong research in terms of birth cohorts, longitudinal biobanks, resources within the university to do translational work. Fellows attend/are involved in clinical trial meetings. Infrastructure/resources strong enough that fellows (including first year) have posters at AAAAI every year of fellowship. Again, strong research opportunities in large cohort studies of asthma, eosinophils, some mechanistic immunodeficiency and allergy, food allergy. Third year funded by T32. Faculty were great, fellows seemed happy. Paid for hotel.

Outstanding post and details! Thank you for sharing so much insight for future applicants! Esp loved hearing you break down research areas strengths and funding!

It's odd that BCH fellows cover so much Rheumatology. The overlap between A/I and Rheumatology is certainly there - such as auto-inflammatory diseases and others you mention. But there's no allergists managing SLE patients in practice...

How do you guys determine what "bad"/busy call is in A/I?
Most of my friends in medicine or peds say they can count on one hand the number of times they consulted A/I.

How do you guys determine what "bad"/busy call is in A/I?
Most of my friends in medicine or peds say they can count on one hand the number of times they consulted A/I.
Specific examples of things that I can think of, have heard before, or heard while interviewing that I think would directly effect the number of calls you get/how annoying it is. You can't directly ask all of these but you can get a good feeling from talking to fellows.

Depends on Program or Departmental Structure
- Are you covering a service that admits patients?
- Are you covering another service that's not A/I for part of the year?
- Do you have to be present for all in-hospital desensitizations?
- Does your institution do BMTs?
- Are you a subspecialty medical home for post-BMT patients? (e.g. are you likely to get 3AM fever calls from patients or an ED?)
- Are you the center that gets called with abnormal TRECs?
- When you are on call, are you on call for multiple hospitals that you have to drive between?
- Are fellows taking/getting the outside calls or patient calls 24/7?

Depends on Institutional Culture
- Does allergy get consulted for every case of asthma in the PICU? (for the place I'm thinking of I believe this was more for research purposes)
- Do general services or the ED regularly consult allergy for things like asthma or anaphylaxis?
- Do any services you might be covering admit common-ish diseases that might be on general teams at other institutions? (anaphylaxis, asthma, Kawasaki disease)

Depends on Volume
- How big is your adult hospital? NICU? Children's Hospital? (each of these comes with different volumes of certain calls)
- How many inpatient desensitizations a year happen at your institution? Is there APP support if the volume is large? (for places where I know numbers, it ranges from 50 to 600ish)
- How big is the immunodeficiency panel at your institution? (see BMT comment above) Can probably insert any patient population here that might have acute events you could get called about (HAE, etc), but I do agree that allergy isn't called in the middle of the night that much -- this is all relative :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I was just wondering if any fellowship programs have reached out regarding how their practice has changed given the current pandemic. I think the clinic at my residency institution is still shut down and everything (follow-ups, inpatient consultations, etc) are all telehealth. I haven't heard anything from my fellowship program yet except that our orientation will be virtual. It's in a city, but a city less overwhelmed with COVID than my current location in residency. Just wondering if any programs had reached out to incoming fellows.

Thanks!

I reached out in late March, when things really blew up. I was told that all GME was moving forward, probably. I haven’t reached out since. I’m afraid of the answer. My current peds clinic is still doing about 50% volume with lots of ridiculous video visits. (Did you think an abdominal exam was important in evaluating abdominal pain? I guess I did, in the before time.)

I assume we’re still on but I don’t know how it’ll look. My fellowship pulled fellows into the ER and wards back in March and April, but that tasking has ended. Still I’d hate to lose multiple months of a 24-month fellowship if that happens again over the next couple years.

I just hope I don't get pulled into the ICU, ER in the upcoming months with another surge. I want to be done with that part of my life forever lol

Reactions: 1 users
Specific examples of things that I can think of, have heard before, or heard while interviewing that I think would directly effect the number of calls you get/how annoying it is. You can't directly ask all of these but you can get a good feeling from talking to fellows.

Depends on Program or Departmental Structure
- Are you covering a service that admits patients?
- Are you covering another service that's not A/I for part of the year?
- Do you have to be present for all in-hospital desensitizations?
- Does your institution do BMTs?
- Are you a subspecialty medical home for post-BMT patients? (e.g. are you likely to get 3AM fever calls from patients or an ED?)
- Are you the center that gets called with abnormal TRECs?
- When you are on call, are you on call for multiple hospitals that you have to drive between?
- Are fellows taking/getting the outside calls or patient calls 24/7?

Depends on Institutional Culture
- Does allergy get consulted for every case of asthma in the PICU? (for the place I'm thinking of I believe this was more for research purposes)
- Do general services or the ED regularly consult allergy for things like asthma or anaphylaxis?
- Do any services you might be covering admit common-ish diseases that might be on general teams at other institutions? (anaphylaxis, asthma, Kawasaki disease)

Depends on Volume
- How big is your adult hospital? NICU? Children's Hospital? (each of these comes with different volumes of certain calls)
- How many inpatient desensitizations a year happen at your institution? Is there APP support if the volume is large? (for places where I know numbers, it ranges from 50 to 600ish)
- How big is the immunodeficiency panel at your institution? (see BMT comment above) Can probably insert any patient population here that might have acute events you could get called about (HAE, etc), but I do agree that allergy isn't called in the middle of the night that much -- this is all relative :)

So helpful to see it written out, thanks!

One follow up - I'm guessing there's no data source on number of inpatient desensitizations/each center, just a ballpark type question you ask fellows/faculty at each place?

So helpful to see it written out, thanks!

One follow up - I'm guessing there's no data source on number of inpatient desensitizations/each center, just a ballpark type question you ask fellows/faculty at each place?
I think more like “notice the number if they mention it”? Unless you are specifically interested in drug allergy

Any recommendations on a good resource to read up before fellowship starts?

Any recommendations on a good resource to read up before fellowship starts?
I remember thinking the Northwestern A/I syllabus was a good resource on an old rotation but I can't find a link for the new 2019 edition that doesn't make me pay $30 :(

I have the 2012 version... I don't even remember where I got it. I agree it's a nice reference and $30 isn't so bad!
Yeah I’m probably going to bite the bullet and buy it—I think will be useful to get quick overviews/look at the references