Official 2018-2019 Psychiatry Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope this is okay to say but I am praying to God that things land fine this year. I've been massively stressed about not matching this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you want programs to see where you applied? Do you want them to see where you interview as well?

My suggestion was not that they see where, but just how many. But I personally would have no problem with programs seeing where I applied. I have good reasons to applying to each of the ~20 programs I applied to.

My suggestion was not that they see where, but just how many. But I personally would have no problem with programs seeing where I applied. I have good reasons to applying to each of the ~20 programs I applied to.

I shotgunned things a bit and applied to a ton of programs, but the way I see it... I'm in my 20's, I'm single, and I have nothing tying me anywhere. I care way more about fit, both academically and socially, than I care about the location.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

If I had applied to 20 programs as a US DO even with awesome board scores, I would be sitting on 0 iis right now.

Reactions: 7 users
If I had applied to 20 programs as a US DO even with awesome board scores, I would be sitting on 0 iis right now.

I know; but wouldn’t you like it if all the people who could have applied safely to 20-30 programs did so (instead of 50-60). I’m trying to think of a way to incentivize people to apply strategically (which for some people will mean applying very broadly, but for others will mean being more targeted).

I know; but wouldn’t you like it if all the people who could have applied safely to 20-30 programs did so (instead of 50-60). I’m trying to think of a way to incentivize people to apply strategically (which for some people will mean applying very broadly, but for others will mean being more targeted).

Honestly, the system is esoteric and confusing. Even knowing what is strategic applying is difficult these days. It's been almost a month since the cycle started and I still don't know whether I under applied or whether I overestimated my competitiveness. It's maddening and worse there's no clear way to generalize anyone's experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
Do applicants ever ghost on interviews? Like.... not show up unannounced... I was wondering if there was a blacklist for programs where they could communicate such things among themselves because that throws things off quite a bit. I would hope that this was a rare occurrence but....

Yes. One of my classmates who I didn't' know very well actually did this on one of my interview days. There were supposed to be 4 people from my school there on that interview day and the PC asked the 3 of us if we had any idea if he was just late. I was asking the PC questions about the program later and asked if he'd even contacted them and she said he did not and they were expecting him there that day. She also made an off-hand comment that was something like "that's just one less person we will be ranking". This may have also happened on another large interview day (15+ interviewees) but I'm not sure. Just remember there was a name on the list that was never called out, so I'm guessing a last minute cancel but idk.

From what I understand there's no official blacklist but PDs will sometimes talk to each other about problem applicants they encounter on the trail (PDs can correct me if that's wrong).

Was it georgetown? I bet it was friggin georgetown!

(I'm really sorry, I had to go there!)

:rofl: Nice shout out to the GOAT of SDN threads.

From what I understand there's no official blacklist but PDs will sometimes talk to each other about problem applicants they encounter on the trail (PDs can correct me if that's wrong).
The PDs' annual meeting (AADPRT) is brilliantly scheduled in early March-- so the rank lists are done, in, and certified--but no one has Match results yet. So basically we're not sitting around comparing notes about specific applicants.
Which is not to say that we don't tell each other our "memorable stories" at the bar each night.

AND WITH RESPECT TO CANCELLATIONS--as you can tell from these threads there are a LOT of your colleagues waiting for interviews. If you've decided that you're not going to a place you've accepted an interview for--for God's sake, CALL and cancel it at least a week ahead of time so the program can offer the slot to someone else!!!

Again, there's no "Blacklist" -- but do you really want Coordinators out there muttering bad things about you under their breath? This process is a great way to pick up bad (or good) karma through how you treat people!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
DO student, Step 1+2 mid-240s-ish, top quarter of class, great personal statement, no research

Applied to 50ish programs.
7 interview invites so far (mostly in-state), 4 academic (2 of which I did sub-I's at), 3 community

Likely will end up highly ranking and matching where I did my sub-I's, but I don't want to leave anything to chance. Hope we all get some invites this week!

DO student, Step 1+2 mid-240s-ish, top quarter of class, great personal statement, no research

Applied to 50ish programs.
7 interview invites so far (mostly in-state), 4 academic (2 of which I did sub-I's at), 3 community

Likely will end up highly ranking and matching where I did my sub-I's, but I don't want to leave anything to chance. Hope we all get some invites this week!

You're going to do well!

Doing a Sub-I and being invited back to interview means that they already like you a fair amount. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright friends tomorrow is the start of a good week for interview invites, I can feel it.

Got one this morning from my top program! Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 6 users
I’m waiting on my first one..hoping something good this week!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
When can we start freaking out? My school told me I need to rank ten programs to safely match. I'm still sitting at four and I really don't know if there's even many places still sending invites. I know I'm not the most impressive applicant but I was assured I'd hear from more programs than this...

When can we start freaking out? My school told me I need to rank ten programs to safely match. I'm still sitting at four and I really don't know if there's even many places still sending invites. I know I'm not the most impressive applicant but I was assured I'd hear from more programs than this...
I'm still trusting what some of the PDs have said, that they look through all USMDs and strong applicants first and there might be a surge of interviews later in the cycle as people start canceling. I'm fortunate enough to have 5 interviews despite being a DO with really weak scores, but I'm holding hope that things pick up as we go on.

The good news for you all is that we're already starting to get a few interview invitations declined by folks from far away who are discovering that they really didn't need to over-apply so drastically as a USMG.

Don’t assume. I have declined a few IV invites from some of my top places because the dates offered are EXACTLY the same as the few interviews I have scheduled at my other top places. Why are IV dates nearly identical from place to place?

Don’t assume. I have declined a few IV invites from some of my top places because the dates offered are EXACTLY the same as the few interviews I have scheduled at my other top places. Why are IV dates nearly identical from place to place?

Probably cuz there’s only 5 days in a week they can do it really.

Um why wouldn't you cancel or reschedule the places you care about less and go to the ones you're more jazzed about?

Probably cuz there’s only 5 days in a week they can do it really.

Roughly 20 weekdays in a month to interview
Roughly 3 months span for interviews
Roughly 60 options for interview dates
My experience is programs will offer me 2-7 options for interview dates. They are literally identical to dates other programs have offered. 1 date may be unique.
Now do you know what I mean? It’s been impossible to schedule more than 10 interviews

Um why wouldn't you cancel or reschedule the places you care about less and go to the ones you're more jazzed about?
Obviously you have not considered that one could consider programs equally desirable

Hi everyone,

Has anybody sent e-mails to programs that they have not heard from yet? I was thinking of sending a short-and-sweet message to the programs I am most interested in. Has anyone had success with this? Any luck/ advice?

Thank you!

Did that to a few programs to show a connection to the area which may not have been obvious from my application and it yielded me 3-4 interviews over the last week. PD's responded saying something in kind (i.e. we couldn't tell that you actually had a connection and that's one of the reasons we didn't interview you).

A lot of PD's also responded saying that they were out of spots and could only offer a waitlist spot. One of those programs offered an interview a few days later when someone cancelled.

TLDR; I'd do it.

Reactions: 3 users
Did that to a few programs to show a connection to the area which may not have been obvious from my application and it yielded me 3-4 interviews over the last week. PD's responded saying something in kind (i.e. we couldn't tell that you actually had a connection and that's one of the reasons we didn't interview you).

A lot of PD's also responded saying that they were out of spots and could only offer a waitlist spot. One of those programs offered an interview a few days later when someone cancelled.

TLDR; I'd do it.

Awesome news! Thanks, this is the response I was hoping for.

TLDR; I'd do it.

What was the general outline of your email, if you don't mind sharing...?

Also, did you email the program directors, or the contact email provided on ERAS?

Last edited:

TLDR; I'd do it.

I wish I had this experience. I just got “sorry we are done with interview offers for the year” and non responses -_-

I wish I had this experience. I just got “sorry we are done with interview offers for the year” and non responses -_-

I sent emails two weeks ago, haven’t received any response, not even a “thank you for your interest”...

I mean ...
I got a lot of those as well, but the responses that were most positive were from places where I had a connection. I sent many other programs interest letters and never heard back.

For the folks asking about formatting... C'mon y'all its not that hard and there are a billion ways to do it. Mine were probably longer than they had to be. I talked about interests and fit. Honestly, it took me quite a bit of time to do these. I was planning to send one to every school that I would have considered interviewing at given my other invites at this time but I kinda gave up halfway through lol.

I got the email contact from Freida. PD emailed and the assistant cc'ed.

I am sitting on 6 ii, been to half already and received no ii last week. Kind of worried, and hope I get more this week.

So I’m sitting at 8 II but could only schedule 7 due to conflicts. Just received Step 2 CK score (24x) last Wednesday and passing CS the week before. Should I email programs I’m interested in with this update or is that being a little annoying?

FWIW I have no red flags, average stats, and am at USMD school. Im starting to get worried because I feel like my number of invites is on the low side; applied to 48 places.

Last edited:
I would 100% email programs you're interested in hearing back from with an update on your scores and a factoid about why you want to interview there.

How many interviews would you go to? I feel like 10-12 is a solid number and you're pretty close, unless you start hearing from programs higher up on your list.

I would 100% email programs you're interested in hearing back from with an update on your scores and a factoid about why you want to interview there.

How many interviews would you go to? I feel like 10-12 is a solid number and you're pretty close, unless you start hearing from programs higher up on your list.

yeah i want to go on 10-12. So far I've got 5 invites to programs I'm excited about and the other 3 are safeties. Im worried I may have missed the first couple waves of interviews at some programs since I didn't have either of my step 2 scores back until recently.

Last edited:
yeah i want to go on 10-12. So far I've got 5 invites to programs I'm excited about and the other 3 are safeties. Im worried I may have missed the first couple waves of interviews at some programs since since I didn't have either of my step 2 scores back until recently.

Do some programs not offer invites if you don't have the CS on file?

Are you DO?

Yes, got two more this week so programs are def still sending out initial invites, I assume they were Initial because they had 10 or so dates to choose from.

Soo, basically only got 1 II during October, which puts me at 5 total.. anyone have any thoughts on the hope that a "second wave" of invites will hit in November? Not so encouraged based on last year's thread but I'm also wondering if the high volume of applicants this year is pushing things back this far.. Already sent out LOIs about a 1.5 weeks ago and only got replies from a few and silence from the rest.. Ahh!

Soo, basically only got 1 II during October, which puts me at 5 total.. anyone have any thoughts on the hope that a "second wave" of invites will hit in November? Not so encouraged based on last year's thread but I'm also wondering if the high volume of applicants this year is pushing things back this far.. Already sent out LOIs about a 1.5 weeks ago and only got replies from a few and silence from the rest.. Ahh!
I'm sitting at 5 ii's also, and have been for about a month. I'm sincerely hoping for another wave as people start cancelling. Even 2 or 3 more and I'll feel okay, as 2 of mine feel like they're pretty safe, but maybe my hubris is showing.

All I know is this process has turned from exciting to sucky over the course of the last month

I'm sitting at 5 ii's also, and have been for about a month. I'm sincerely hoping for another wave as people start cancelling. Even 2 or 3 more and I'll feel okay, as 2 of mine feel like they're pretty safe, but maybe my hubris is showing.

All I know is this process has turned from exciting to sucky over the course of the last month

And the sheer waiting game over months will go from sucky to very sucky that will climax with fireworks for about 20%, a bag of chips for about 50%, and rotten apples for the remaining 30%.

Also sitting on 5 II... One is AOA which if it works out will be fine, the other 4 I feel strongly about but it is so easy to just be out ranked and not match.

Sorry didn't mean to come off that way. Just contributing to give a different perspective

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 17 scheduled and not canceling a single one. There is no benefit to the applicant to cancel.
there are benefits including the fact that your chances of matching diminish a little after a certain number of interviews, the cost savings, the time, saving some energy (interview season is draining), and the fact that your performance suffers after a certain number of interviews whether you are aware of it or not. If you are able to get 17 interviews, that means you don't need to go on 17 interviews. It is also unlikely that someone is genuinely enthusiastic at matching at all of those places.

Reactions: 4 users
I guess your time and money are worthless then

there are benefits including the fact that your chances of matching diminish a little after a certain number of interviews, the cost savings, the time, saving some energy (interview season is draining), and the fact that your performance suffers after a certain number of interviews whether you are aware of it or not. If you are able to get 17 interviews, that means you don't need to go on 17 interviews. It is also unlikely that someone is genuinely enthusiastic at matching at all of those places.

I actually enjoy traveling to new cities and feel like it is time and money well spent. I have an open mind and see advantages of both large academic programs and small town community programs. I am grateful for my invites and am very enthusiastic about each and every program that I receive the honor of interviewing at.

I have 17 scheduled and not canceling a single one. There is no benefit to the applicant to cancel.

I actually enjoy traveling to new cities and feel like it is time and money well spent. I have an open mind and see advantages of both large academic programs and small town community programs. I am grateful for my invites and am very enthusiastic about each and every program that I receive the honor of interviewing at.

Assuming you aren't a troll then first of all congratulations on all those interviews. Second of all, if you enjoy traveling and have the money to spend then you realize you can do all of that without hoarding interviews? There are people out there with 0,1,2 interviews, and YES, if you cancel even 1 then it does help that 1 person who gets your spot!

As a user mentioned above, if you are an outstanding candidate then you really don't need many interviews to match. Assuming you are the most desirable candidate for most programs you interview at, you have more than an 80% chance of matching at your top 3 programs anyways (as per NRMP data). If you are the worst bottom of the barrel candidate, then it ALSO doesn't matter if you have 5 or 15 interviews, programs won't rank you high enough to match or even rank you at all! It's actually a very simple concept, yet people fail to understand this.