COMLEX Official 2016 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorman

TouroCOM-NY
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2016 COMLEX 2 CE

please post how you prepared
What scores you got while preparing UWORL, COMBANK, COMQUEST
What was your experience with the test
What was your score.

2015 thread :http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...x-2-ce-experiences-and-scores-thread.1127509/

2014 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...x-2-ce-experiences-and-scores-thread.1077080/

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when scores release if you took the test in a date not indicated by their ranges? I took comlex 2 on July 6....

June 16, 2016 - July 2, 2016 July 25, 2016 - July 27, 2016
July 7, 2016 - July 21, 2016 August 11, 2016 - Augsut 16, 2016
Ha! That's great. I'd assume it'll fall into the later of the two date ranges.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I called to ask about specific release times, and they only release between the hours of 8:30a-4:30p CT. Their information services (help desk) is available from 7a-7p ET. Here's to hoping tomorrow is the day!

Reactions: 1 users
I called to ask about specific release times, and they only release between the hours of 8:30a-4:30p CT. Their information services (help desk) is available from 7a-7p ET. Here's to hoping tomorrow is the day!
Thanks for the info drop. My PE score came back at about 8:30a central. So let's home the CE is the same way.

Took level 2 craplex CE today, typical NBOME exam. Very vague, lots of OMM and very little to do with things one would need to know as a future doctor. Overall didnt think it was that bad. The images on the test are horrible, idk why they make the pics so hard to see. 15+ stats questions, step 1 micro, lots of OB/GYN and Peds. I didn't get hit with all the Law/ethics many people complained about, but I guess i got lucky..........Happy its all over

I really hope and pray they don't make us wait another day. I can't get anything done waiting for these scores.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm going to have to say that is not central time. but eastern. and no score release on my end.

just called and got "its probably not going to be today". She said its because its already near the end of the business day today.

just called and got "its probably not going to be today". She said its because its already near the end of the business day today.
I'd be fascinated to see how the process works. I mean why the window? What factors go in to deciding which day? Do they just release them when they're done? Or do they have some kind of internal mechanism for decided when?

ImageUploadedBySDN1469634208.481129.jpg
I imagine they have something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just called NBOME and they confirmed that the scores will be released today by 4:30 CST, and that we will receive an email when they are available. I'm sure most people probably already knew that or assumed that was the case, but I just figured I would pass on the very small amount of information that they give over the phone. Haha

I just called NBOME and they confirmed that the scores will be released today by 4:30 CST, and that we will receive an email when they are available. I'm sure most people probably already knew that or assumed that was the case, but I just figured I would pass on the very small amount of information that they give over the phone. Haha

You da real MVP.

Step 1: 214 ---> Step 2: 248
Level 1: 495 ---> Level 2: 650

Hard work pays off. Now to hoping residency programs can overlook those 1st exams. :)

Reactions: 6 users
Step 1: 214 ---> Step 2: 248
Level 1: 495 ---> Level 2: 650

Hard work pays off. Now to hoping residency programs can overlook those 1st exams. :)

Wow huge improvement! Congrats! What did you do differently to prepare for level 2?

Lived to fight another day! Way to go everyone - I'm surrounded by smarties!

Score only increased 30 points from Level 1. At least it's improvement!

Wow huge improvement! Congrats! What did you do differently to prepare for level 2?

A lot of different things, some within my control and some out of my control:

Step/Level 1: I used UWorld and FA, but I definitely did a lot more reading the first time around and a lot fewer questions (I only did one pass of UWorld). Also, when I was doing questions, I didn't really actively engage and try to learn the concepts. I didn't use a dedicated COMLEX qbank, which I think was detrimental. The question styles are just too different. I had 4 weeks of dedicated study time, and I got nervous and postponed my exam. Mistake. I had already peaked.

The curriculum for the first two years at my school is traditional, non-integrated. I found that I just don't learn that way, and spent a ton of time just cramming for the insane amount of exams we had (2-3/week). I learned so much more physiology and anatomy this year by learning about disease processes and how they affect systems. In retrospect, a systems-based curriculum would have been much better for me.

Step/Level 2: I again used UWorld. I bought a year long subscription and worked on it throughout the year on my rotations to prepare for my shelf exams. I also really liked the case files series and used those for my shelf exams. This time, I made notes on every question that I got wrong in UWorld, or parts of the answer explanations that I did not understand. I went over these notes about once per week, and every day for the last week of studying.

When my dedicated study period rolled around (3 weeks this time), I had already finished UWorld once and was working on my second pass, while going over things that I was weak on. I read through MTB once, and used onlinemeded videos for weak areas (endocrine and nephro for me) to reinforce concepts that I struggled with. I also purchased a 3 month subscription to COMBANK and went through about half of that in the final couple weeks to get myself used to the quirky way that COMLEX writers ask questions. I browsed the green book for OMM and knew my chapman's points and viscerosomatics cold because those are easy points.

Hope this helps! Good luck to everyone!

Passed! Congrats to everyone who passed.

If you didn't pass please don't forget that this is just one speed bump on the road. You have made it this far for a reason. DONT GIVE UP!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

PASSED! COMLEX 2: 760, USMLE II: 257

COMLEX 1: 699, USMLE I 244

UWORLD 3 times: Once during 3rd year, 2 times for the boards
COMBANK: Just the OMM
SAVARESE: for the millionth time

Now is time to exhale

Reactions: 2 users
Passed, but as usual with the Craplex I am disappointed. Took my exam on June 30th. Anyone else take it that day and score lower than anticipated?

I don’t like to comment on exams until I feel I can speak with some modicum of authority.

Actual Level 2 CE: >700.

How I studied for COMLEX: I didn’t. I studied for the USMLE and did 2-3 days of Savarese and OMT questions.

Thoughts: Crazy exam with the typical COM-specific curveballs that make you want to pull your hair out. Questions that make no sense. Random factoids that you won’t find in any study guide I’ve ever used, some of which have to be answered on gut feeling. The key to this exam is to accept that some questions will be off-the-wall, to make an educated guess, and then strategically move on and review later, if you have time. Even the best performing students experience this phenomenon and it’s a signature hallmark of the COMLEX. Try to not get flustered while taking it. Having also taken the USMLE, I think the COMLEX is arguably more exhausting because of the unfriendly break system, quantity of questions, and the bizarre, vexing nature of some questions.

The exam is indeed bizarre and I’m convinced that the best way to prepare is by using gold standard resources. Use UWorld throughout 3rd year. Step Up to Medicine (SUTM) was gold and should be started during your internal medicine rotations 3rd year. I also skimmed through Mastering the Boards for Step 2 CK. I didn’t use a single COM-specific bank or resource, with the exception of for OMT. I utilized a similar strategy for Step 1/Level 1 and it worked out fine.

Advice: Walking out and feeling bad doesn’t necessarily reflect your actual performance. Take deep breaths and enjoy the several weeks of blissful ignorance.

Passed, but as usual with the Craplex I am disappointed. Took my exam on June 30th. Anyone else take it that day and score lower than anticipated?

i also took the exam on the 30th, failed. literally a 150 point drop from my comsae practice

i also took the exam on the 30th, failed. literally a 150 point drop from my comsae practice

I'm in a very similar boat, although I did pass. Very sorry, im sure you're more frustrated than I am. Dropped 130 pts from COMSAE and I felt pretty confident I was gunna score 550-600 range going into the exam.

I don’t like to comment on exams until I feel I can speak with some modicum of authority.

Actual Level 2 CE: >700.

How I studied for COMLEX: I didn’t. I studied for the USMLE and did 2-3 days of Savarese and OMT questions.

Thoughts: Crazy exam with the typical COM-specific curveballs that make you want to pull your hair out. Questions that make no sense. Random factoids that you won’t find in any study guide I’ve ever used, some of which have to be answered on gut feeling. The key to this exam is to accept that some questions will be off-the-wall, to make an educated guess, and then strategically move on and review later, if you have time. Even the best performing students experience this phenomenon and it’s a signature hallmark of the COMLEX. Try to not get flustered while taking it. Having also taken the USMLE, I think the COMLEX is arguably more exhausting because of the unfriendly break system, quantity of questions, and the bizarre, vexing nature of some questions.

The exam is indeed bizarre and I’m convinced that the best way to prepare is by using gold standard resources. Use UWorld throughout 3rd year. Step Up to Medicine (SUTM) was gold and should be started during your internal medicine rotations 3rd year. I also skimmed through Mastering the Boards for Step 2 CK. I didn’t use a single COM-specific bank or resource, with the exception of for OMT. I utilized a similar strategy for Step 1/Level 1 and it worked out fine.

Advice: Walking out and feeling bad doesn’t necessarily reflect your actual performance. Take deep breaths and enjoy the several weeks of blissful ignorance.
Exact same for me. Except I had USMLE Monday, I reviewed First Aid Step 1 microbiology and dermatomes/myotomes (that bit paid off!) on Monday, read Savarese and reviewed viscerosomatics/chapman's points youtube videos on Tuesday. COMLEX on Wednesday.

I'm in a very similar boat, although I did pass. Very sorry, im sure you're more frustrated than I am. Dropped 130 pts from COMSAE and I felt pretty confident I was gunna score 550-600 range going into the exam.

Me too here. Felt pretty good about the exam walking out on June 30th, but I guess not. Have been thinking about score confirmation just for peace of mind

Me too here. Felt pretty good about the exam walking out on June 30th, but I guess not. Have been thinking about score confirmation just for peace of mind
It's a real crapshoot. One of my friends scored almost the exact same as me on the USMLE, then scored almost 200pts lower than me on COMLEX. I assure you his fund of knowledge and testing ability is not very different from my own. The COMLEX is such a crap test.

I went ahead and also asked for a score confirmation too... Im not holding my breath though.

I had 5+ legal questions and TONS of cranial on my exam today. Tons of MSK stuff in general, vague descriptions of soft tissue swelling... several twisted ankles and knees. Several straight up imaging study readings. Had a twisted knee story with no clues and an MRI, and that's it. Also had a cerebral angiogram read to do, so I looked at the squiggly lines and clicked B.