Official 2016-2017 Psychiatry Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Feb 3rd for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

for DO students how many MD interviews have you guys gotten so far?

Members don't see this ad :)

My question is how many does someone need to drop out of the AOA match and go for an ACGME program?

Google Charting Outcomes for DOs in the allopathic match. IIRC the average DO who matched into an allopathic program ranked 8-10 places.

FTFY. Was talking to someone from my school who's applying to psych this year. This person has USMLE scores that are 15+ higher than average. No red flags. Applied to crapload of programs (50+). Has 15-20 interviews at this point. Don't get me wrong. This is a healthy number of interview invites, but for the stats this person has, I would have imagined at least a 50% return on investment.

It's not Derm or Ophthalmology, but Psych is definitely more competitive.

There must be other issues. I have about the same number of invites despite no USMLE scores and Comlex scores that are unremarkable and probably below average for ACGME applicants.

There must be other issues. I have about the same number of invites despite no USMLE scores and Comlex scores that are unremarkable and probably below average for ACGME applicants.

no offense but geographical bias/program selection has alot to do with the # of IV's one receives

how many of your 16 is in LA/NYC/Chi/Philly/Boston?

if you say more than 5 i'm going to stick my neck out there and call you a liar

no offense but geographical bias/program selection has alot to do with the # of IV's one receives

ps. nothing wrong with choosing to do your residency in the boonies

Like I said, he/she has other issues. People with super high scores may limit themselves only to cities with initials or name brand places. That's likely their issue.

FTFY. Was talking to someone from my school who's applying to psych this year. This person has USMLE scores that are 15+ higher than average. No red flags. Applied to crapload of programs (50+). Has 15-20 interviews at this point. Don't get me wrong. This is a healthy number of interview invites, but for the stats this person has, I would have imagined at least a 50% return on investment.

It's not Derm or Ophthalmology, but Psych is definitely more competitive.
I was told that some programs don't even waste their time inviting applicants they perceive to be over qualified for their program.. It could be the case for that individual at your school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that some programs don't even waste their time inviting applicants they perceive that are over qualified for their program.. It could be the case for that individual at your school.

I would venture to say that above average Step scores + proven Psych interest + smart choice of programs/region (be it MD or DO) should yield a match. At least I hope so for next cycle HA.

I would venture to say that above average Step scores + proven Psych interest + smart choice of programs/region (be it MD or DO) should yield a match. At least I hope so for next cycle HA.
If one step1 score is >225 and has no red flags, that person should not be worried too much about yielding a match in psych IMO... People like me that are sitting in the gray area in term of step1 score (210-220) should be concerned because of the way things are shaping in the last couple of years...

By the way, with you step 1 score(>230), I don't think you should be worried...

Last edited:
If one step1 score is >225 and has no red flags, that person should not be worried too much about yielding a match in psych IMO... People like me that are sitting in the gray area in term of step1 score (210-220) should be concerned because of the way things are shaping in the last couple of years...

By the way, with you step 1 score(>230), I don't think you should be worried...

Yes I have a 239 + proven Psych interest but my 3rd year Psych clerkship was a disaster...not so much the High Pass but that I have 2 sentences of comments. It was poorly run and someone I hardly met wrote 2 sentences in a few minutes. I busted it to Honor the shelf but none of that matters.

Yes I have a 239 + proven Psych interest but my 3rd year Psych clerkship was a disaster...not so much the High Pass but that I have 2 sentences of comments. It was poorly run and someone I hardly met wrote 2 sentences in a few minutes. I busted it to Honor the shelf but none of that matters.
High pass is good... Few people got honor at my school... I don't think you should be worried too much about the 2-sentence of comments.

Last edited:
Has it really been that quiet this past week?

Hi All, US IMG with 3 IVs so far, was told not to email programs expressing interest from classmates who matched into psych. Now reading on forums is making me realize this may have been a good thing to try. Is it too late in the game to reach out to some programs in the Midwest where I am interested to see if they have any spots open?

Hi All, US IMG with 3 IVs so far, was told not to email programs expressing interest from classmates who matched into psych. Now reading on forums is making me realize this may have been a good thing to try. Is it too late in the game to reach out to some programs in the Midwest where I am interested to see if they have any spots open?

There's not much to lose. I don't think it's too late. I hope you get one of the midwest spots I cancelled recently.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd try Buffalo and Fargo. I have it on good authority they have had some interview openings recently.

Reactions: 1 user

Lots of people who applied to too many places seem to be cancelling from interview fatigue. You have nothing to lose from emailing programs but everything to gain from the next 4 years if you get into a residency you wouldn't have gotten if you hadn't emailed.

Lots of people who applied to too many places seem to be cancelling from interview fatigue. You have nothing to lose from emailing programs but everything to gain from the next 4 years if you get into a residency you wouldn't have gotten if you hadn't emailed.

I just cancelled one for late january. hope one of you gets it.

I got rejected from Cambridge Health Alliance this week despite withdrawing in early October.

Also rejected by CHA (without having previously withdrawn!) and Vandy this week.

Just got an interview invite from Tufts so apparently there are some trickles from cancels even still

Interview from ECU/Vidant, declined

Waitlisted with emory for january 9th. Heres to hoping someone cancels :x

Anyone got interview from UT Health Houston? They gave me possible dates: Feburary 16th,21st ,23rd and 28th, 2017 . Feburary 21st ,23rd and 28th, 2017 are after rank order list closure. Even Feb 16th is too close to ROL date. Is it too late for interview there? Thanks!

Anyone got interview from UT Health Houston? They gave me possible dates: Feburary 16th,21st ,23rd and 28th, 2017 . Feburary 21st ,23rd and 28th, 2017 are after rank order list closure. Even Feb 16th is too close to ROL date. Is it too late for interview there? Thanks!

Probably a typo in there. Call / email back for clarification.

The 16th actually isn't a typo. One of my friends is interviewing there then. I remember it cause it's so surprising that they have interviews that late. The other later dates seems really off though. Why would they interview after rank lists are already due?

This email was sent in November. I was trying to change the date and I noticed it. I think 16th is too close to Feb 22, rank list close date. Feb 3rd is last invite I have. I think it was little late too.

Has anyone interviewed there? Is this program that dis-organized? Or they just interview a lot of people?

This email was sent in November. I was trying to change the date and I noticed it. I think 16th is too close to Feb 22, rank list close date. Feb 3rd is last invite I have. I think it was little late too.

Has anyone interviewed there? Is this program that dis-organized? Or they just interview a lot of people?

They can still add you to the rank list if you interview on the 16th. They can discuss you over the next week and add you in to whatever list they have going. It's the interview days after the 22nd that are really confusing.

I interviewed there and didn't see any issues. I will probably have it lower on my list, if only because I didn't see much that they offered over Baylor.

Last edited:
Thanks! What didn't you like about UT?

Nothing since November and waitlist for Stanford came yesterday with three dates in January in case someone cancelled. I declined because it's too short notice for those dates and I'm on a rotation now:(

Hello, sorry to revive such an old thread, I tried to find the answer to this but I have a limited time window to submit changes to my fourth-year schedule and I wanted to ask - how soon after interview invites are extended to applicants do the interviews usually take place? Is it pretty soon after? From this (very valuable) thread, I see most invites were extended September - November; so should I take that to mean that October and November would be good months to take off for interviews?

Thank you!

I think November and December would be better. Most of mine last year were during those two months.