Official 2016-2017: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel as if cat memes will generate the necessary juju for an II to be granted.

Me right now:

60546760.jpg

Where I hope to be soon:

7bc0d17310296f932137edd16643b248.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Let's say a school interviews from September through February and let's say that the same proportion of applicants are interviewed in each of those months. Six months means almost 17% interviewed in each month. Now let's say that invites go out 4 weeks before the range of dates offered for the interview. That would mean that the last invites would go out in mid -January and by now, mid-November, there would be Dec, Jan and Feb invites still to go out or about 50% of invites that have not yet gone out. In fact, if you factor in those who will turn down an offer because they already have a better offer of admission, it might be more than 50% of ii are yet to be issued.

The season isn't over by a long shot but if you haven't received even one offer by next Wednesday at 11:59 pm, you should spend the long weekend thinking about what you might do in 2017-2018 if this cycle does not yield at least one offer of admission. The Thanksgiving rule doesn't mean you won't get into medical school this cycle but it is the point at which you should start making contingency plans. (In contrast to the people who are ready to make contingency plans in mid-September because they haven't received an ii at that point.)
what about if you've had 1 interview, but it resulted in a waitlist? can you at least be hopeful you might have a second/third/last round ii sent your way at some point before the cycle is over?

either way, i'm looking to the next cycle as i think anyone without an acceptance should, but i'm interested to see if turkey day rule should apply broadly here to my situation as well, in your opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Meme gods please show me love

Attachments

• IMG_2534.JPG
    IMG_2534.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: 4 users
Checked my email this morning and found an II from SLU. IIs are still coming out! BELIEVE.
IMG_9217.GIF

Reactions: 28 users
I feel as if cat memes will generate the necessary juju for an II to be granted.

Me right now:

60546760.jpg

Where I hope to be soon:

7bc0d17310296f932137edd16643b248.jpg
There's a Rachel Dolezal joke in here, I just know it.

Reactions: 3 users
what about if you've had 1 interview, but it resulted in a waitlist? can you at least be hopeful you might have a second/third/last round ii sent your way at some point before the cycle is over?

either way, i'm looking to the next cycle as i think anyone without an acceptance should, but i'm interested to see if turkey day rule should apply broadly here to my situation as well, in your opinion.

There is still a chance that you'll get off of the waitlist. I will now invoke the Mardi Gras rule. If you don't have that waitlist turn into an offer by Mardi Gras, drink heavily and start making a contingency plan when the hangover wears off.

:hardy:

Reactions: 24 users
There is still a chance that you'll get off of the waitlist. I will now invoke the Mardi Gras rule. If you don't have that waitlist turn into an offer by Mardi Gras, drink heavily and start making a contingency plan when the hangover wears off.

LizzyM joining the party!

I suppose this means that we will need to run several SDN survey studies on whether or not the Mardi Gras rule holds in our population.

I mean Tulane just has to send out an acceptance wave on Fat Tuesday

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know about the thanksgiving rule for II, but what about for secondaries?
Primary complete really early at state school but still no word, is this silent reject or am I still in the running?

I know about the thanksgiving rule for II, but what about for secondaries?
Primary complete really early at state school but still no word, is this silent reject or am I still in the running?

You haven't gotten a secondary? Which school, if you don't mind? Some, like UCSF, screen pretty heavily

Even with an acceptance, this cycle is making me feel like ****. I really wish I'd done this during a gap year because couple with school and work, the stress is really starting to get to me....I need to get my mind off of this somehow

I'm doing this during a gap year and since I'm doing significantly less (no school to distract) than I was senior year, I actually find it more stressful -.-

You got this though! At the very least you're accepted ^_^

Reactions: 5 users
Even with an acceptance, this cycle is making me feel like ****. I really wish I'd done this during a gap year because couple with school and work, the stress is really starting to get to me....I need to get my mind off of this somehow

Just remember, you have already succeeded. Leave the stressing to those of us who are still working for an acceptance ;)

zB4CJXc.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Do schools begin taking people off waitlists in February? I thought most schools didn't until April?

Do schools begin taking people off waitlists in February? I thought most schools didn't until April?
Oops, you caught me. Frankly, if you are one wait list now, you shouldn't start to worry and plan an alternative to med school until Feb-Mar. You might get off the waitlist much later but in terms of living through the next 3 months, relax and enjoy each day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The memes did big work for me this week. 2 more II's. Thank you all for the meme priesthood.

Reactions: 7 users
You've come to the wrong place to complain, buddy.

Reactions: 13 users
>Checks email.
>Trinity School of Medicine Spam.
>I cri everytime.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 17 users
>Another week passes
>No IIs.
>At least it can't get worse, and I'm going to enjoy my weekend
>4 pm Friday
>Gets a rejection from a school that gave me an II last time.
>Weekend now ruined

Why does the world have to be so cruel...

Reactions: 9 users
Since, I still have no interview invites, I am plotting my app improvements for the next cycle. The MCAT is certainly a weak area for me. I self studied the first time and that clearly didn't work out too well. What MCAT prep programs do you guys recommend?

Since, I still have no interview invites, I am plotting my app improvements for the next cycle. The MCAT is certainly a weak area for me. I self studied the first time and that clearly didn't work out too well. What MCAT prep programs do you guys recommend?

I used kaplan, found it to be overblown for the price.

The weekly online "meetings" were more about test taking strategy than content review.

I got much more benefit from using their prep books, banging out 1 chapter per day and doing a full length practice test once per week.

I started with a 505 on my first practice, tested until I plateaued at 507-9 on the kaplan FLs, pulled off a 510 on the AAMC FL under non-ideal conditions, then a 512 on the real McCoy.

Biggest help with regards to my score? Taking full lengths. Bar none. The best way to get better at something is to do it.

Reactions: 2 users
I used kaplan, found it to be overblown for the price.

The weekly online "meetings" were more about test taking strategy than content review.

I got much more benefit from using their prep books, banging out 1 chapter per day and doing a full length practice test once per week.

I started with a 505 on my first practice, tested until I plateaued at 507-9 on the kaplan FLs, pulled off a 510 on the AAMC FL under non-ideal conditions, then a 512 on the real McCoy.

Biggest help with regards to my score? Taking full lengths. Bar none. The best way to get better at something is to do it.

@Thompsonj0

I had a pretty similar experience. My scores were a little different, but I more or less have the same opinion. For the last 3-4 weeks before the MCAT, a friend and I realized that we were both taking it on the same day and decided to share practice tests and resources (I had Kaplan, he had Altius). It was really nice to be able to go through the stuff together in our own little group a few times a week where we actually could focus on content, etc., and quiz each other but still do most of the practice and studying on our own.

I think that my friend liked the Kaplan material because he felt that it was a little more polished and organized than the Altius materials and there was so much more material available to study. For me, the sheer volume of study materials and information was a huge strength for Kaplan, but a lot of my people love Altius (and do very well on the MCAT!) and swear by them. From what I can tell, the real strength of Altius is that they give you one-on-one tutoring and feedback.

The TL;DR summary is that I used Kaplan and was very happy with what I got and the end result, but it was VERY expensive. Each test prep company has something that they do right because that's how they make their money. When their product doesn't work, word gets around and they stop making money. No matter whose product you choose, the real difference on how you perform on the MCAT will be based on your study habits and discipline, not some company's guarantee that they give you to convince you to hand over $2k of money that you probably don't have.

I used the SN2 method for the old MCAT (it has been updated to the new MCAT) and scored a 35 (~517). It's all self study about 6 days a week over 100 days total. I found the examkrackers books to be excellent, and the Berkeley review biology felt very spot on in terms of the actual MCAT difficulty and reading comprehension needed. I think the best advice the guide gave was to push your times down constantly, by the end I was doing VR passages in under 6 minutes (scored 11 on VR), and in all sections had 15-20 minutes spare time to review all my answers on the real MCAT.

I recommend it because it's cheap and gives you all the info you need, but there is no outside motivation from a class/meeting/teacher.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/

Thanks everyone! Yeah, looking back on it I think my issue was not enough practice exams. I also found the psychology and sociology section had a lot of stuff I had never seen before in terms of content and I took psych 101 and soci 101 classes, in addition to reading the Exam Krackers book.

Forgive me, But I declare II bankruptcy.
4289476.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Saying hello to my interviewer like:
73c8e095-0d12-484f-ae41-f8a26cf41834-1020x612.jpeg

Edit: Since those of us with acceptances *cough*@libertyyne @Gurkhali *cough* are declaring bankruptcy, I will say that I also would like some more interviews.

>Checks email.
>Trinity School of Medicine Spam.
>I cri everytime.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
They don't stop once you're in med school. I guess they think I'll just say, "Gee, I really like this school, but maybe I ought to drop out and give the Caribbean a shake."

Also, I have a theorem: as the importance of the email you're expecting increases, the likelihood of getting a spam email from Kaplan approaches 1.

Stop being obnoxious
Ironic considering you have more interviews then me. Im just here fore the meme magic man, to make this thread Great Again with some unbelievable memes.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.