Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a difficult time ranking some of my programs. I'm interested in staying in academic medicine, but no specific interests beyond that. No regional preference at all (other than my already self-selected southern bias). I have my top choice already, but trying to figure out how to rank:

2-4: Vanderbilt, UTSW, UAB
5-6: UVA, Case Western University Hospital
7-8: Baylor, Colorado

I appreciate the input, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to figure out my 3-7...would probably head to GI or Cards (likely the former). No regional preference at all but am from the Northeast and would like to eventually come back to NY or Boston. Thanks!

Dartmouth, Cedars-Sinai, Maryland, Montefiore, Bayview

I'm trying to figure out my 3-7...would probably head to GI or Cards (likely the former). No regional preference at all but am from the Northeast and would like to eventually come back to NY or Boston. Thanks!

I'd put Maryland as the highest, then maybe Montefiore (esp if you want NY ties), Dartmouth (strong GI) next and then Bayview/Cedars

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, was wondering your thoughts on ranking #s 3 onwards, interested in Heme-Onc. @gutonc would really appreciate your thoughts too! Thanks!!

3) Georgetown (had a great feeling from, people seem happy, strong heme-onc it seems)
4) Utah (this and the next few were pretty equal from me- similar vibe, and strengths?)
5) U Minnesota
6) Indiana U
7) Loyola
8) Dartmouth (location isn't stellar to me which is why it's lower)
9)VCU (great location for me, but the teaching didn't seem so strong, and the heme-onc fellowship wasn't that impressive)
10) U Cincinnati
11) Nebraska

Last edited:
Would appreciate help with ranking the following:

Cleveland Clinic
William Beaumont
Rutgers NJMS
UMKC
U Oklahoma
Einstein Philadelphia
Mt. Sinai Miami
St. Elizabeth Boston

I am an IMG interested in Cards.

Any thoughts on Beaumont? I felt really good on the interview day but I can't find their fellowship match results.

Don't know much about Beaumont, but if a community program isn't open with their fellowship match that could be suspicious. I would ask the PC or a resident for their most recent match list before you decide. Otherwise based on your interest in cards I would say

CCF
UMKC (Chance to go to MAHI)
Oklahoma (Reputed cards program, especially EP, but location sucks.)
Rutgers (Had great matches the last couple years, better than the RWJ Rutgers)
Einstein Philly

Reactions: 1 users
I'd personally have RWJ in the top 3 of that list, but if this is the way you like them, it's hard to argue with it. Your 2-4 as they stand should probably be:
Maryland
VCU
Temple

Much obliged! After spending some time looking through 2014's and 2015's thread, it looks like Maryland's reputation is quite higher than I imagined.

Just one burning question: how does Cincinnati compare to the rest? I really haven't been able to find many comparisons, and I wonder if I'm doing myself a disservice by putting it as #1 and above Maryland.

DO , interested in cardiology .I am interested in private practice thereafter but want to keep option of academic career open.based in Michigan but open to relocating. any comments ?

1) wayne state DMC -detroit- Geographic proximity. Very busy hospital with diverse case load. However I am having second thoughts as I dislike detroit.
2) UT-Houston; good feel..great cards program..match in texas heart. Program felt cushy though. also did not connect well with the residents..my SO is a chemical engineer .so plenty of employment options for him. I have no family in texas or anywhere close. I am seriously considering ranking this as number 1.
3) USF-Tampa.. superb hospital..very friendly PD...great city...
4) Cincinnati: got great vibes... love the city..
5) UMKC: I loved the relaxed nature of the program. great cardiology fellowship at saint lukes.
6) Rush: liked the program...but not in the greatest region of the city..
6) Henry ford : loved the program..great fellowship match..but hate detroit..
7)nebraska: awesome program..I connected well with the residents. I was greatly impressed by Dr.Neumeister..but disliked the non geographic patient distribution. residents have to walk a lot as the patients are all over the hospital..also not x+y fwiw...considering ranking it higher though
8) Arizona tucson :
9) Cleveland clinic : only reason why I am even ranking it is because of their fellowship match and my SO curently works in cleveland though he is ready to move.felt very very high handed during the iv.Their entire long and boring presentation was sprinkled with "we are number 1 in everything".the interviewers seemed disinterested.residents did not feel too happy or knowledgeable. i felt that the program revolved around marketing gimmicks similar which has been a pattern as indicated in the recent WAPO article . would find it tough to spend 3 years here.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-cleveland-clinic/?utm_term=.a318f8fe339b

Looks like quite a few posters haven't gotten a reply yet but I figured I'll jump in as well to this party. Interested in heme-onc fellowship so maybe @gutonc could give me a little input. Thanks so much in advance

1) Ohio State - seems like a great overall program, strong history of residents obtaining whatever fellowship they want, liked Columbus as a city
2) Cedars Sinai - great overall program and great fellowship matches. Like LA as a city but a little worried about traffic and cost of living. Reputation on SDN for being too much of a 'kush' program and ambulatory experience may not be the best at some sites due to traveling back and forth between clinic and didactics and missing seeing patients....
3) University Illinois Chicago - had a great 'feeling' about this program. Loved the residents and PD, liked Chicago a lot even though it was super cold when I went and interviewed there; solid fellowship matches; hospital has a sickle cell service
4) University of South Florida - liked residents and PD a lot, IM Chair came and talked to all of us for 1+ hour then each of us individually which made a lasting impression on me, Moffitt is apparently an amazing Cancer Center with lots of research opportunities and will usually take a couple residents from USF IM, pretty good location in Tampa
5) Hofstra - overall solid program, really liked the residents and PD. Pretty solid fellowship match, 70k first year salary + subsidized housing hard to beat, location on Long Island not ideal but not far from the city or other free time destinations
6-8) Between Scripps Mercy, Dell Medical School at UT-Austin, UTHSC in Memphis in no particular order
Scripps - Great historically at heme onc match. Heme Onc fellows rotate between Scripps Mercy and Scripps Green. Seems like you get a lot of autonomy because there are no fellows, also have a cool portable ultrasound training program going on. Didn't like how small the program is and that there is just as many TY interns as categoricals
UTSCH - seem to have a solid fellowship match. Residents weren't bad but maybe didn't get as great of a 'feel' for them as the ones from other programs. Didn't really get a chance to feel out how much I would like to live in Memphis
Dell Medical School at UT-Austin - programs seems a little too new - no ultrasound training curriculum, no transplant service in the hospital, and GI/Nephro/PCC attendings are private attendings. Heme Onc research seems to be still in progress. Austin seems awesome though, and the few residents I got to meet were pretty cool. Fellowship match seemed to be not bad. Surprised there was no invitation to a dinner OR happy hour...

Only interviewed at a few places and ended up going elsewhere. What I will tell you is that on my UMKC interview, the aPDs were with us the entire time and they barely said a word until I asked what residents do with the non-teaching social issues that are frequent readmits. Immediately the aPD jumped in and lectured us on how social issues are part of the learning process and that residents shouldn't be lazy. That attitude said it all. Did not rank the program.

DO , interested in cardiology .I am interested in private practice thereafter but want to keep option of academic career open.based in Michigan but open to relocating. any comments ?

1) wayne state DMC -detroit- Geographic proximity. Very busy hospital with diverse case load. However I am having second thoughts as I dislike detroit.
2) UT-Houston; good feel..great cards program..match in texas heart. Program felt cushy though. also did not connect well with the residents..my SO is a chemical engineer .so plenty of employment options for him. I have no family in texas or anywhere close. I am seriously considering ranking this as number 1.
3) USF-Tampa.. superb hospital..very friendly PD...great city...
4) Cincinnati: got great vibes... love the city..
5) UMKC: I loved the relaxed nature of the program. great cardiology fellowship at saint lukes.
6) Rush: liked the program...but not in the greatest region of the city..
6) Henry ford : loved the program..great fellowship match..but hate detroit..
7)nebraska: awesome program..I connected well with the residents. I was greatly impressed by Dr.Neumeister..but disliked the non geographic patient distribution. residents have to walk a lot as the patients are all over the hospital..also not x+y fwiw...considering ranking it higher though
8) Arizona tucson :
9) Cleveland clinic : only reason why I am even ranking it is because of their fellowship match and my SO curently works in cleveland though he is ready to move.felt very very high handed during the iv.Their entire long and boring presentation was sprinkled with "we are number 1 in everything".the interviewers seemed disinterested.residents did not feel too happy or knowledgeable. i felt that the program revolved around marketing gimmicks similar which has been a pattern as indicated in the recent WAPO article . would find it tough to spend 3 years here.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-cleveland-clinic/?utm_term=.a318f8fe339b

Hi,

Long time lurker, I am just looking for opinions on my ROL. I'm interested in a career in academic medicine as a medical educator. Either in Cards, Pulm Crit, or Hospitalist. I would also like to work with underserved.

1A. Hopkins- Loved ACS rounds and dedication to making sure each resident is an excellent clinician. I'm not sure if I vibed with the residents as well as my two or three, but that could have just been who I happen to meet on my interview day.
1B. UTSW- Great autonomy, parkland hospital seems like it would be a great place to train.
3. UAB- close to my support system. Serves as the major referral center in Al so great pathology. PPL seemed very kind
4. UCSF- Very nice ppl, great name and lots of opportunities to work with the underserved
5. Vandy
6. Emory
7. UNC
8. Tulane
9. Hopkins Bayview
10. UF

Hey SDN,

I am interested in CCM:

Mercy- St.Luis; Loved the program, has its own dedicated CCM fellowship. I liked that there is no ED residency thus dont get just well packaged patients with a diagnosis in hand . Cons: Not a big Uni, Residents said they don't get a lot of procedures.

Uni of Nebraska- Omaha: Decent program, Uni program, Pretty rigorous call sched Cons: No X+Y, They give off this vibe they focus mostly on being a good internist, Residents procedures are hard to come by but possible

St.Luis University: Great Residents, Uni Program, Lots of procedures, PD seemed really enthusiastic Cons: Older Facility, First year isnt x+y

Uof Missouri Columbia: Great Residents, Uni Program, Good Fellowship match rate Cons: its 2 hours away from an airport.

Any input would be great guys

Can you tell me why you moved Rutgers down on the list?

Don't know much about Beaumont, but if a community program isn't open with their fellowship match that could be suspicious. I would ask the PC or a resident for their most recent match list before you decide. Otherwise based on your interest in cards I would say

CCF
UMKC (Chance to go to MAHI)
Oklahoma (Reputed cards program, especially EP, but location sucks.)
Rutgers (Had great matches the last couple years, better than the RWJ Rutgers)
Einstein Philly

Members don't see this ad :)

Just because of your interest in cards.

But I think finally you should base it on how you felt about the program during the interview and should go where you think you will be happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I'm a lifelong East Coast-er looking to make the move to Cali for residency (personal reasons). Now trying to decide how to rank UCLA vs Stanford as my #1 and #2. I am looking for a program with strong clinical training and the ability to match at competitive fellowships on either East or West Coasts in academic GI or heme/onc. I liked both programs on interview day but as usual felt that I only got a superficial look at what they have to offer. Any input on things I should be considering in comparing these two programs would be much appreciated!

Thought I'd get some expert opinions on my current list. I'm a DO student and interested in pulm/cc. Location is not a huge deciding factor. I'm more concerned about objectively getting the best possible training. Ranking a lot of programs since I know some don't take many DOs, namely the programs up top. This is how I actually have everything ranked currently.

Wake Forest
USF-Tampa
Rutgers RWJ
Temple
Cooper
Rutgers NJMS
Einstein-Philadelphia
UConn
Texas A&M
UNMC
Drexel
CCF
Creighton
Pennsylvania Hospital
Geisinger

Appreciate whatever input you guys give!

Hi all! I'm a lifelong East Coast-er looking to make the move to Cali for residency (personal reasons). Now trying to decide how to rank UCLA vs Stanford as my #1 and #2. I am looking for a program with strong clinical training and the ability to match at competitive fellowships on either East or West Coasts in academic GI or heme/onc. I liked both programs on interview day but as usual felt that I only got a superficial look at what they have to offer. Any input on things I should be considering in comparing these two programs would be much appreciated!

Two great programs, you're not going to go wrong. But IMO, Stanford is the better program, particularly the last few years. Really strong fellowship matches, great camaraderie among the residents, fantastic leadership, great clinical training/research opportunities. Also prefer the Bay Area to L.A.

Feel free to PM if specific questions - I know both of these programs well. Good luck!

I also interviewed at both of these places. Stanford doesn't have x+y and UCLA has 4+1, if that matters to you. Not sure what your situation is, but I feel that idyllic west LA has more to do for a young single person than the Palo Alto suburbs. Stanford does seem to have a more diverse fellowship match list, whereas it seems like almost everyone at UCLA stays at UCLA (supposedly this is a good thing because they love it there, but still). However, I got the impression that the focus at Stanford is to funnel you into fellowship and maybe not so much on general clinical training, which could be a good or a bad thing. They certainly seem to offer you a lot of scheduling flexibility to help you move your career in the direction you want to go. That being said, every program of this caliber will provide strong clinical training, yadda yadda and so forth.

Hi all, Please help me rank these following programs. I am unsure at this point if I want to pursue any fellowships but I would like to keep the doors open. I am interested in academic medicine.

Yale (primary care), Georgetown, University of Maryland, VCU, Rutgers RWJ

I appreciate any input!

hi all! please help me rank these programs. i would love to go back to california but also have strong family ties to the chicago area. am interested in academic medicine and GI fellowship.

1. UCLA
2. Stanford
3. UCSD vs Uchicago vs Wash U??
Boston Medical, Northwestern, Univ Washington, BIDMC, OHSU, Cedars-sinai, Brown, UC Irvine

appreciating all these UCLA v stanford questions... i'm likewise struggling to figure out where these two fit into my rank list

Rank this -

Cleveland Clinic
Rush
Iowa
Nebraska
Henry Ford
Univ. of Arizona Tucson
Univ. of Kansas
UIC
LSU-NOLA
UF-Gainesville
UC-Northshore
Drexel
UCSF-Fresno
Beaumont-Royal Oak

Please also help me rank BIDMC, Mayo, Yale from cards fellowship standpoint/prospective. Much appreciated!

Please also help me rank BIDMC, Mayo, Yale from cards fellowship standpoint/prospective. Much appreciated!

I think it's personal preference, but my opinion is Yale > BIDMC > Mayo.

Rank this -

Cleveland Clinic
Rush
Iowa
Nebraska
Henry Ford
Univ. of Arizona Tucson
Univ. of Kansas
UIC
LSU-NOLA
UF-Gainesville
UC-Northshore
Drexel
UCSF-Fresno
Beaumont-Royal Oak
Iowa is the best program on that list by a fair piece.
Iowa
Nebraska
Rush/CCF
The rest by whatever criteria makes you happiest.

A lot of people have asked for my help in this process. I was away and internetless for the last 4 days so I missed a whole bunch of lists...and I have a life and a real job, so I'm not going back to review them all. Please don't repost your lists, I won't reply and will warn you for cross-posting.

But are you sure you want my advice in the first place? My first hand knowledge of any program other than the one I matched to is over 10 years old at this point and likely irrelevant/outdated. I barely even know how things go at the program I matched to (where I remain on clinical faculty) these days.

My best advice is to "go with your gut".

Reactions: 3 users
But are you sure you want my advice in the first place? My first hand knowledge of any program other than the one I matched to is over 10 years old at this point and likely irrelevant/outdated. I barely even know how things go at the program I matched to (where I remain on clinical faculty) these days.

My best advice is to "go with your gut".

The "help me rank" question has always perplexed me and I find it very difficult to help since I only interviewed at 9 or 10 programs all in the northeast. I have no idea what any of these other programs are like not to mention I have a geographic bias and a positive/negative bias toward certain programs for sometimes questionable reasons. I may be more inclined to participate if someone is asking a program X vs Y question but when more than half the list consists of programs I never even applied to then you're on your own.

Last edited:
The "help me rank" question has always perplexed me and I find it very difficult to help since I only interviewed at 9 or 10 programs all in the northeast. I have no idea what any of these other programs are like not to mention I have a geographic bias and a positive/negative bias toward certain programs for sometimes questionable reasons. I may be more inclined to participate if someone is asking a program X vs Y question but when more than half the list consists of programs I never even applied to then you're on your own.
I quit asking. I assume the order they put it in is the one they'll put in NRMP. If people really wanted useful advice, they'd give us something more than a random list of hospitals.

It's not even my list/specialty. I just wanted to see what the "perceived SDN quality" of these programs were for someone else. At the end of the day, nobody with any self worth is going to base their decisions off some random's perception of their list... or at least I hope

Interested in Cards. Interviewed mostly in the South. Looking for opinions on the schools I interviewed at and was wondering if I could get help ranking them in tiers based on prestige and possibility of Cards fellowship. Thanks

UF (Gainesville), Mississippi, Tulane, UTSW, UAB, MUSC, Wake Forest, UVA, UK, USF, Louisville, IU, UNC, Vandy

Hi,

Long time lurker, I am just looking for opinions on my ROL. I'm interested in a career in academic medicine as a medical educator. Either in Cards, Pulm Crit, or Hospitalist. I would also like to work with underserved.

1A. Hopkins- Loved ACS rounds and dedication to making sure each resident is an excellent clinician. I'm not sure if I vibed with the residents as well as my two or three, but that could have just been who I happen to meet on my interview day.
1B. UTSW- Great autonomy, parkland hospital seems like it would be a great place to train.
3. UAB- close to my support system. Serves as the major referral center in Al so great pathology. PPL seemed very kind
4. UCSF- Very nice ppl, great name and lots of opportunities to work with the underserved
5. Vandy
6. Emory
7. UNC
8. Tulane
9. Hopkins Bayview
10. UF

Nice list. Would have UCSF, Vandy, & Emory all above UAB based on your stated interests.

Two great programs, you're not going to go wrong. But IMO, Stanford is the better program, particularly the last few years. Really strong fellowship matches, great camaraderie among the residents, fantastic leadership, great clinical training/research opportunities. Also prefer the Bay Area to L.A.

Feel free to PM if specific questions - I know both of these programs well. Good luck!

Agree. Stanford > UCLA if interested in fellowship/academics.

I think it's personal preference, but my opinion is Yale > BIDMC > Mayo.

Agree with this order, especially if cards is the goal.

Interested in Cards. Interviewed mostly in the South. Looking for opinions on the schools I interviewed at and was wondering if I could get help ranking them in tiers based on prestige and possibility of Cards fellowship. Thanks

UF (Gainesville), Mississippi, Tulane, UTSW, UAB, MUSC, Wake Forest, UVA, UK, USF, Louisville, IU, UNC, Vandy

UTSW and Vandy are in the first tier on this list, both very strong programs with impressive cards matches. Not as familiar with the other programs.

Having a hard time trying to rank. I don't really have any "gut feelings" about any of the programs I interviewed at? Looking for a program that will best help me do whatever it is I decide to do in life - academics, good and/or competitive fellowship, just train and GTFO.

Essentially, help me rank based on program national rep (only care because could possibly do academic medicine) + fellowship match. Location doesn't really matter to me (although I touch on location, it doesn't really matter to me - was just thinking out loud).

1. Yale - Loved Yale but seems like they work a lot? Still have q3-4 30ish hour shifts which doesn't excite me. Not sure how strong the training is - a lot of people hate on Yale (have heard that IM doesn't live up to rep of univ/med school). New Haven = :( but low cost of living/higher salary is nice.

2. Northwestern - Really like the PD, great facilities, great area of Chicago. Similar to Yale, I've heard that the residency doesn't live up to the rep of the university/med school.

3. Michigan - Seems like Mich has the best reputation out of the places that I interviewed. Clicked well with the program leadership and residents. Didn't love Ann Arbor and winter seems brutal.

4. Vanderbilt - Loved Nashville but didn't see a lot of residents during the dinner/interview day which was a little strange. Most recent fellowship match didn't seem great.

5. BIDMC - Really like Boston and the program structure. My only reservation is that there are so many programs in Boston and not sure of BIDMC's national rep (seems a little like the stepchild of the Harvards). Seems to match well for fellowship.

6. UChicago - Again, unsure about UChicago's national rep. Clinical training seemed great. They also only rotate at UChi which seems like a negative. Generally not sure about UChi vs NW - both seem great but not sure if one is considered "better" than the other.

7. WashU - St. Louis wasn't my favorite but seemed like the clinical training is very strong here. Didn't love the program leadership, interviews were awkward. Fellowship match is okay.

8. Mayo - I liked Mayo more than some higher on my list but Rochester was a huge turn off and residents seemed pretty "hands off." It also seemed like the fellowship match outside of Mayo was a little suspect. Just a little suspect about the quality of training here in general. Sounds good to Grandma though? lol

9. UCLA - Didn't get a good feel for UCLA. I've heard that the program is malignant but didn't seem that way on interview day. Seemed to only match at UCLA for fellowship which is concerning.

10. UPMC - 4+4 seems nice. Pittsburgh probably too close to home for me so last.

Interested in Cardiology, and having a tough time sorting between several programs:

WashU
UTSW
Northwestern
University of Washington

Not sure about overall reputation versus potential for fellowship match. Any help would be appreciated.

hi all! please help me rank these programs. i would love to go back to california but also have strong family ties to the chicago area. am interested in academic medicine and GI fellowship.

1. UCLA
2. Stanford
Boston Medical, Northwestern, Univ Washington, BIDMC, OHSU, Cedars-sinai, Brown, UC Irvine

Overall, I'd put UCLA, stanford, WashU, NW, UW and BIDMC in same group, maybe even Uchicago, followed by UCSD, BMC then the rest. If you think you'd want to end up in california for fellowship, than there's something to be said for going there for residency as Cal fellowships seem to give slight preferences to those with california connections. However, don't sell yourself short as there are many great residencies and fellowships outside california and you can always move there as an attending.

I'd give the slight edge to BIDMC over Yale. It has a solid well-established reputation that's geographically broad, however go with what felt best, they're similar enough that how you felt about either program matters more.

Having a hard time trying to rank. I don't really have any "gut feelings" about any of the programs I interviewed at? Looking for a program that will best help me do whatever it is I decide to do in life - academics, good and/or competitive fellowship, just train and GTFO.

Essentially, help me rank based on program national rep (only care because could possibly do academic medicine) + fellowship match. Location doesn't really matter to me (although I touch on location, it doesn't really matter to me - was just thinking out loud).

1. Yale - Loved Yale but seems like they work a lot? Still have q3-4 30ish hour shifts which doesn't excite me. Not sure how strong the training is - a lot of people hate on Yale (have heard that IM doesn't live up to rep of univ/med school). New Haven = :( but low cost of living/higher salary is nice.

2. Northwestern - Really like the PD, great facilities, great area of Chicago. Similar to Yale, I've heard that the residency doesn't live up to the rep of the university/med school.

3. Michigan - Seems like Mich has the best reputation out of the places that I interviewed. Clicked well with the program leadership and residents. Didn't love Ann Arbor and winter seems brutal.

4. Vanderbilt - Loved Nashville but didn't see a lot of residents during the dinner/interview day which was a little strange. Most recent fellowship match didn't seem great.

5. BIDMC - Really like Boston and the program structure. My only reservation is that there are so many programs in Boston and not sure of BIDMC's national rep (seems a little like the stepchild of the Harvards). Seems to match well for fellowship.

6. UChicago - Again, unsure about UChicago's national rep. Clinical training seemed great. They also only rotate at UChi which seems like a negative. Generally not sure about UChi vs NW - both seem great but not sure if one is considered "better" than the other.

7. WashU - St. Louis wasn't my favorite but seemed like the clinical training is very strong here. Didn't love the program leadership, interviews were awkward. Fellowship match is okay.

8. Mayo - I liked Mayo more than some higher on my list but Rochester was a huge turn off and residents seemed pretty "hands off." It also seemed like the fellowship match outside of Mayo was a little suspect. Just a little suspect about the quality of training here in general. Sounds good to Grandma though? lol

9. UCLA - Didn't get a good feel for UCLA. I've heard that the program is malignant but didn't seem that way on interview day. Seemed to only match at UCLA for fellowship which is concerning.

10. UPMC - 4+4 seems nice. Pittsburgh probably too close to home for me so last.

The list is fine the way it is. Ultimately Yale, NW, WashU, Vandy, BID, Michigan are my favorite on your list and on a similar tier in terms of national reputation.

My two cents on some of the programs you mentioned...

For Yale, you will work hard and get rigorous training in a supportive environment. Expectations are high. A lot of the hate on Yale on SDN stems from a decade ago when program leadership was different, the match list speaks for itself.

Vandy generally has strong fellowship matches, be careful when interpreting what you might think is a "good" match because often the best fellowship programs may differ from the best IM residencies. Cedars for example is a very strong cardiology fellowship (top 15 in my opinion) and they had two residents match there this year. Their heme onc match is particularly impressive.

Michigan is a great program but I would disagree that it has the clear "best reputation" of the bunch. I think separating the six I mentioned in terms of national reputation would be an exercise in futility.

BID's SDN reputation may lag a bit behind its Harvard siblings but the difference is minor and BID residents do very well for themselves. Don't let that hold you back if you liked the program, the national reputation is strong.

Interested in Cardiology, and having a tough time sorting between several programs:

WashU
UTSW
Northwestern
University of Washington

Not sure about overall reputation versus potential for fellowship match. Any help would be appreciated.

Depends on what you want to do for fellowship, but I would say all four of these programs are similar in terms of overall reputation. Go with your gut and where you would want to live.

1. UCLA
2. Stanford

Lots of good programs. I liked Stanford, WashU, NW, BID and U of W, the best.

Hi guys, any input on my list would be much appreciated . Interested in hospitalist, GI or heme/onc. I don't care for academics, but I don't want to rule it out. I go to school in NYC, but am trying my hardest to move and am strongly leaning towards Chicago as my parents are moving there shortly.

Rush/UIC/Jefferson/Temple/UMD
Loyola
RWJ
GW

Re: #1-5 : On the east coast, temple, jefferson and UMD are better known than Rush/UIC, but interviewing at them all seemed the same. Rush actually seemed very laid-back and friendly, but I am not sure if their fellowship placement is as strong as temple and Jeff. Speaking to a faculty member at Rush, she said that it was due to residents wanting to stay at Rush, but that could be a bunch of hogwash who knows. I am thinking about returning to the east for fellowship.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi guys, any input on my list would be much appreciated . Interested in hospitalist, GI or heme/onc. I don't care for academics, but I don't want to rule it out. I go to school in NYC, but am trying my hardest to move and am strongly leaning towards Chicago as my parents are moving there shortly.

Rush/UIC/Jefferson/Temple/UMD
Loyola
RWJ
GW

Re: #1-5 : On the east coast, temple, jefferson and UMD are better known than Rush/UIC, but interviewing at them all seemed the same. Rush actually seemed very laid-back and friendly, but I am not sure if their fellowship placement is as strong as temple and Jeff. Speaking to a faculty member at Rush, she said that it was due to residents wanting to stay at Rush, but that could be a bunch of hogwash who knows. I am thinking about returning to the east for fellowship.

Any help would be appreciated

An odd list. Why no Georgetown or Hopkins bay view?

Jefferson=umd
Temple
RWJ
GW

Don't know much about uic vs rush vs Loyola but the whole idea of residents wanting to stay at a given program for fellowship is only a good thing if the given specialties are as good or better than the IM program and I'm not sure that's the case for rush. Definitely not as familiar with mid western programs though. Generally this pattern of matching happens at lower tier academic and community programs AND the top tier programs like Stanford, ucla, mgh, Hopkins etc

An odd list. Why no Georgetown or Hopkins bay view?

Jefferson=umd
Temple
RWJ
GW

Don't know much about uic vs rush vs Loyola but the whole idea of residents wanting to stay at a given program for fellowship is only a good thing if the given specialties are as good or better than the IM program and I'm not sure that's the case for rush. Definitely not as familiar with mid western programs though. Generally this pattern of matching happens at lower tier academic and community programs AND the top tier programs like Stanford, ucla, mgh, Hopkins etc

Thanks for the quick response.! I didn't get an IV at Georgetown and did not apply to Hopkins-Bayview. My list isn't that odd! Lol. I left out my top 3 and the bottom 3 because I'm pretty sure those are not changing.
I also forgot to throw UT-Houston into the mix. They did exceptionally well this year with fellowship match in heme/onc.

And about the pattern of in-house fellowship matching, that's what I was thinking too. It sucks because I really liked Rush at the interview day and it gave me that "feeling" everyone talks about, but I also don't want to limit my opportunities to leave the midwest for fellowship.

Any opinion on USC vs. Montefiore vs. Dartmouth on strength/prestige?

Thanks for the quick response.! I didn't get an IV at Georgetown and did not apply to Hopkins-Bayview. My list isn't that odd! Lol. I left out my top 3 and the bottom 3 because I'm pretty sure those are not changing.
I also forgot to throw UT-Houston into the mix. They did exceptionally well this year with fellowship match in heme/onc.

And about the pattern of in-house fellowship matching, that's what I was thinking too. It sucks because I really liked Rush at the interview day and it gave me that "feeling" everyone talks about, but I also don't want to limit my opportunities to leave the midwest for fellowship.

Now that list makes more sense (you leaving out your top 3). I've heard good things about UT Houston but again not as familiar with that program

Looking for some help. Interested in Pulm/CC vs Cards, enjoy research and would be interested in possibly running a lab in the future. I would prefer California or the Northeast but ended up having positive impressions of the places I interviewed at in the south. So.... I need help

1. Scripps Green / ABIM Research Track - Home of Eric Topol and Paul Tierstein. Research at Scripps Research Institute, which has produced 4 nobel laureates. Am I crazy for putting this at the top? My main concern is the relatively lame ICU (from my 2 minutes in the ICU at scripps clinic; the new La Jolla Hospital has a large ICU but barely any patients yet?) and the healthy / wealthy patient population that scripps serves. I'm afraid I will finish residency without being well-rounded.
2. Brown
3. UAB
4. UC Davis
5. Tulane
6. Monte
7. Jefferson

Trying to figure out how to rank these programs. I'm thinking about academic cards or hospitalist. Here's how I have it ranked now:

1. Northwestern
2. Vanderbilt
3. BWH
4. UTSW
5. Duke
6. Stanford

Do you think going to NW or Vanderbilt over BWH matters in the long run? I liked the locations better.

Trying to figure out how to rank these programs. I'm thinking about academic cards or hospitalist. Here's how I have it ranked now:

1. Northwestern
2. Vanderbilt
3. BWH
4. UTSW
5. Duke
6. Stanford

Do you think going to NW or Vanderbilt over BWH matters in the long run? I liked the locations better.
Nope. Those are all "Top X" programs. Go where you'll be happiest.

Need help with my top 5! Currently interested in cards with and hopeful for interventionalist one day. Here goes (no particular order):

Penn
Duke
Mayo (rochester)
WashU
Michigan

If anyone could provide insight into ranking these programs, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Need help with my top 5! Currently interested in cards with and hopeful for interventionalist one day. Here goes (no particular order):

Penn
Duke
Mayo (rochester)
WashU
Michigan

If anyone could provide insight into ranking these programs, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
You will match into cards from any of those programs if you work hard, do some research, and avoid acting like a butt. They are all well-respected programs. You should rank them based how you liked them. I bet you'd work a bit harder at Duke or Penn than the others. Do you hate the cold? Don't go to Rochester. It's cold there.

Needs help with rank. Interested in cardiology. Needs to be near NY within driving distance due to family reasons on my wife's side. This is my top 5 currently. Thanks!

1 Rutgers RWJ
2 Rutgers NJMS
3 Northwell
4 Temple
5 Dartmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.