*Official 2015 JSGMESB Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AF HPSP here. Selected for Civilian Deferment - Radiology Preselect (my number one choice). Phew, was sweating that one for a long time!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Navy again didn't open a spot for PM&R. No surprise.

All my friends matched which is good.

This list assumes that applicants were either select or alternates...which probably isn't a safe assumption because there are also probably non-selects not included in the GMESB results. NOTE that the match rate for all PGY-1 programs is 100%. This is likely because PGY-1 programs did not list alternates/non-selects if those applicants got a different PGY-1 slot.

RAM match rate for PGY-2 was 61%...5 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.
Anesthesia match rate for PGY-2 was 33%...24 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

Derm match rate for PGY was 50%...5 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.
EM mach rate for PGY-2 was 100%. 5 NADDS.
EM match rate for PGY-2 was 54%...17 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

FP match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.
FP match rate for PGY-2 was 66%...17 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

Gen Surg match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.
Gen Surg match rate for PGY-2 was 68%...6 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

IM match rate for PGY-1 was confusing...7 NADDS Intern 1-year delay program. 1 alternate for NADDS Intern Delay program. Otherwise, all selected.
IM match rate for PGY-2 was 48%...31 alternates. Yuck. No FTOS/NADDS.

OB/GYN match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.
OB/GYN match rate for PGY-2 was 72%...3 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

Neurology match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. All NADDS.
Neurology match rate for PGY-2 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.

Occ Med match rate for PGY-2 was 36%...7 alternates. 2 FTOS.

Ophtho match rate for PGY-2 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.

Ortho match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. 5 NADDS.
Ortho Match rate for PGY-2 was 75%...4 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

ENT match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.
ENT match rate for PGY-2 was 30%...9 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS

Path match rate for PGY-2 was 33%...4 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS

Peds match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.
Peds match rate for PGY-2 was 47%...13 alternates. Horrible. No FTOS/NADDS

Prev Med match rate for PGY-2 is 66%...1 alternate. No FTOS/NADDS

PM&R match rate is 0%...2 alternates.

Plastics match rate is 0%...1 alternate.

Psych match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. 2 NADDS.
Psych match rate for PGY-2 was 94%...1 alternate. No FTOS/NADDS.

Radiology match rate for PGY-2 was 68%...5 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

Transitional match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.

Urology match rate for PGY-2 was 80%...1 alternate. No FTOS/NADDS.

All my friends matched which is good.

This list assumes that applicants were either select or alternates...which probably isn't a safe assumption because there are also probably non-selects not included in the GMESB results. NOTE that the match rate for all PGY-1 programs is 100%. This is likely because PGY-1 programs did not list alternates/non-selects if those applicants got a different PGY-1 slot.

RAM match rate for PGY-2 was 61%...5 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.
Anesthesia match rate for PGY-2 was 33%...24 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

Derm match rate for PGY was 50%...5 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.
EM mach rate for PGY-2 was 100%. 5 NADDS.
EM match rate for PGY-2 was 54%...17 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

FP match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.
FP match rate for PGY-2 was 66%...17 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

Gen Surg match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.
Gen Surg match rate for PGY-2 was 68%...6 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

IM match rate for PGY-1 was confusing...7 NADDS Intern 1-year delay program. 1 alternate for NADDS Intern Delay program. Otherwise, all selected.
IM match rate for PGY-2 was 48%...31 alternates. Yuck. No FTOS/NADDS.

OB/GYN match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.
OB/GYN match rate for PGY-2 was 72%...3 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

Neurology match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. All NADDS.
Neurology match rate for PGY-2 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.

Occ Med match rate for PGY-2 was 36%...7 alternates. 2 FTOS.

Ophtho match rate for PGY-2 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.

Ortho match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. 5 NADDS.
Ortho Match rate for PGY-2 was 75%...4 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

ENT match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.
ENT match rate for PGY-2 was 30%...9 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS

Path match rate for PGY-2 was 33%...4 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS

Peds match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.
Peds match rate for PGY-2 was 47%...13 alternates. Horrible. No FTOS/NADDS

Prev Med match rate for PGY-2 is 66%...1 alternate. No FTOS/NADDS

PM&R match rate is 0%...2 alternates.

Plastics match rate is 0%...1 alternate.

Psych match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. 2 NADDS.
Psych match rate for PGY-2 was 94%...1 alternate. No FTOS/NADDS.

Radiology match rate for PGY-2 was 68%...5 alternates. No FTOS/NADDS.

Transitional match rate for PGY-1 was 100%. No FTOS/NADDS.

Urology match rate for PGY-2 was 80%...1 alternate. No FTOS/NADDS.

I wish someone had this data for the army.

Members don't see this ad :)
That data doesn't include nonselects (whose names are absent). Listing alternates versus nonselects is totally arbitrary. Really hard to know what any of it means.

That data doesn't include nonselects (whose names are absent). Listing alternates versus nonselects is totally arbitrary. Really hard to know what any of it means.
What I really would like to know is how many slots are open for GMO in the army in each speciality and what the applicant to available slots are. They publish this for MS4 --> PGY 1 but not for GMO--> PGY1/2

Attached are the Navy results, minus identifying information.

As noted previously in this thread, the list is not 100% complete because only people with SEL or ALT are included. For the record I had no involvement in the board and have no special information or insight regarding how many total applicants there were for any specialty, whether or not any non-ranked people exist, or why they were not ranked vs designated as alternates.

Attachments

• 2015 GMESB Results.xlsx
    81.4 KB · Views: 215
For the Navy folks. Does anyone know if they selected anyone to do CT Surgery for fellowship this year?

Of course the data set is incredibly incomplete without knowing non-selects. The match percentages would actually be worse if you include non-selects. So the percentages above are best case scenario.

The take home is that it appears that all PGY-1 matches, though I don't understand the delete
For the Navy folks. Does anyone know if they selected anyone to do CT Surgery for fellowship this year?

Check the post immediately above yours.

Non-select. 2 years GMO, a deployment, and a research project lead to nothing. Points system my a$$. I have no idea what I'm going to do now.
Not too bad...Try 3 years, 2 deployments, published article, first pre-hospital autotransfusion for massive hemothorax, being awarded a CENTCOM medical award, being awarded a meritorious service medal and not being selected. BOOM! I enjoyed my time as a GMO and don't regret serving but the Navy has basically ruined any chance of me having a medical career that I would be willing to pursue. Informed my command and detailer of my desire to resign from active duty.

I'm sorry but those Navy selection results are not encouraging at all. I'm not looking forward to applying for fellowship when it's my time in the spotlight.

So ophtho didn't pick any alternates and anesthesia probably named everyone they didn't select as an alternate. It's so odd that there isn't a single way to do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
So ophtho didn't pick any alternates and anesthesia probably named everyone they didn't select as an alternate. It's so odd that there isn't a single way to do this.
There is not one single uniform tactical plan with any unit in the military, in JSGMESB the enemy is the applicant.

I really don't agree. I'm no cheerleader but they can't pick everyone. Deployments should only count so much. Academic performance is more important. Also, what do you mean that the Navy ruined your medical career? How has the Navy kept you from separating and applying civilian?

All my friends matched which is good....

Do you have the same spreadsheet from last year by chance? Saw it mentioned in a different thread.

Looking at that spreadsheet, it appears there are a total of 305 medical students selected for PGY-1/intern year. They are listed as "INTERNS". I do not know the exact number of Navy HPSP students in each class but from my understanding it is around 300.

This leads me to believe that the percentages posted by j4pac are accurate in regards to medical students applying to intern positions. (i.e. Nearly all 4th year medical students were given an intern spot, even if it was their second choice.) Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, does anyone know what it means to be an alternate? Is it heard of for an alternate to ultimately get a spot?

Last edited:
I really don't agree. I'm no cheerleader but they can't pick everyone. Deployments should only count so much. Academic performance is more important. Also, what do you mean that the Navy ruined your medical career? How has the Navy kept you from separating and applying civilian?
Yeah with practically no letters of recommendation, no current relevant clinical experience those civilian residencies are practically banging down my door. Having an average of 230 on the USMLE, a 3.0 GPA in medical school and an additional advanced degree doesn't really seem relevant to any civilian residency program at this point. The 4 years I spent dicking around with the military (not that it wasn't fun) was a definite career ender, unless I can find some sympathetic soul who thinks that that they can train someone who spent the majority of their time after medical school dispensing condoms, treating rashes and ordering STI labs. This is the new normal for a GMO trying to get back to residency, most PD don't want anything to do with us but at least there are a few honest ones that will say it to our faces. My career would indefinitely be better off right now had I not joined. I would be currently finishing my residency and getting ready to run a practice. You are absolutely correct, deployments don't mean a damn thing inside or outside of the military, probably less so inside of the military when most attending's have an impression that a deployment is floating around on a boat or hanging out at a base in Iraq or Afghanistan two minutes away from a McDonalds and not living in some cave telling someone with 70% TBSA burns that they are going to be ok when you know damn well that when they get to the next echelon of care treatment will be palliative. Now due to my time spent away from actually being observed learning medicine, my academic performance from seven years ago doesn't mean a damn. To answer your question, were you seriously asking why I didn't go UA to start civilian residency? I started the process of separating today as my service obligation is now over. I will probably consider myself lucky to land a job with an urgent care practice, while attempting to make enough contacts to try and restart residency. With the very best scenario I will be in my mid-40's before I finish. Perhaps for my woes, I can get a letter from someone important thanking me for my service and telling me to have a fine Navy day.

Yeah with practically no letters of recommendation, no current relevant clinical experience those civilian residencies are practically banging down my door. Having an average of 230 on the USMLE, a 3.0 GPA in medical school and an additional advanced degree doesn't really seem relevant to any civilian residency program at this point. The 4 years I spent dicking around with the military (not that it wasn't fun) was a definite career ender, unless I can find some sympathetic soul who thinks that that they can train someone who spent the majority of their time after medical school dispensing condoms, treating rashes and ordering STI labs. This is the new normal for a GMO trying to get back to residency, most PD don't want anything to do with us but at least there are a few honest ones that will say it to our faces. My career would indefinitely be better off right now had I not joined. I would be currently finishing my residency and getting ready to run a practice. You are absolutely correct, deployments don't mean a damn thing inside or outside of the military, probably less so inside of the military when most attending's have an impression that a deployment is floating around on a boat or hanging out at a base in Iraq or Afghanistan two minutes away from a McDonalds and not living in some cave telling someone with 70% TBSA burns that they are going to be ok when you know damn well that when they get to the next echelon of care treatment will be palliative. Now due to my time spent away from actually being observed learning medicine, my academic performance from seven years ago doesn't mean a damn. To answer your question, were you seriously asking why I didn't go UA to start civilian residency? I started the process of separating today as my service obligation is now over. I will probably consider myself lucky to land a job with an urgent care practice, while attempting to make enough contacts to try and restart residency. With the very best scenario I will be in my mid-40's before I finish. Perhaps for my woes, I can get a letter from someone important thanking me for my service and telling me to have a fine Navy day.

You didn't play your cards right. Either you used your GMO time to jack off and not keep yourself competitive, or you set the bar too high on your desired residency. There is absolutely no question that military experience improves resume in the eyes of many civilian programs.

All of my friends have been very successful not only landing civilian residencies...but VERY GOOD civilian residencies...coming off of GMO/FS/UMO tours. See Mayo, Hopkins, Harvard, and Columbia/Cornell. But they didn't sit around moping about how awful their lives were for three plus years. They went out of their way to keep their skills up, dabble in case reports/reviews, shadow when given the rare opportunity, and put together a heck of a personal statement. Did they experience skills atrophy? Sure...but they made it work because they worked hard and knew how to communicate. When I was asked about my weaknesses on interviews, I specifically told them that I was concerned about skills atrophy of being outside of inpatient medicine for a while. They assured me that they weren't concerned and they felt that I would be able to get caught up quickly. Again...I WAS MORE CONCERNED ABOUT SKILLS ATROPHY THAN THEY WERE.

Edit: just read my post and it was a little harsh. Thank you for your service and I'm sorry that things haven't worked out for you. Please let us know what we can do to help. That is why we are here. You need to formulate a plan and sometimes it is helpful to have outsiders see things objectively. I do think that you are competitive for the civilian sector, but obviously....something is just missing here.

My post wasn't intended to criticize you...it was only to tell the prospective GMOs out there that your situation isn't typical and that you can be very competitive for civilian residency if you play your cards right.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah with practically no letters of recommendation, no current relevant clinical experience those civilian residencies are practically banging down my door.
What specialty are you aiming at? Why no LORs?

Unrelated to the above, this caught my eye:

first pre-hospital autotransfusion for massive hemothorax

What does that mean?

I don't think that's a new idea. Not an expert, but Google tells me people were doing this 30 years ago.

So you realize that the mean on Step 1 is 225+ right? Are you an MD or DO? Did your clinical performance in med school match your preclinical? What specialty are you going for?

In my small group of green-side GMOs, 4 of the 6 of us got out. They matched Ophtho, Ortho, EM and I can't remember what the fourth guy did (maybe FP).

If you'll be in your mid-40s after a 4 year GMO, you'd have been in your 40s anyway.

Look, getting rejected sucks and hopefully after you've had a night to sleep on it, you'll be able to move forward.

Not too bad...Try 3 years, 2 deployments, published article, first pre-hospital autotransfusion for massive hemothorax, being awarded a CENTCOM medical award, being awarded a meritorious service medal and not being selected. BOOM! I enjoyed my time as a GMO and don't regret serving but the Navy has basically ruined any chance of me having a medical career that I would be willing to pursue. Informed my command and detailer of my desire to resign from active duty.

Ouch, that certainly puts things into perspective. Best of luck to you amigo/a, I hope some doors open up for you.

Looking at that spreadsheet, it appears there are a total of 305 medical students selected for PGY-1/intern year. They are listed as "INTERNS". I do not know the exact number of Navy HPSP students in each class but from my understanding it is around 300.

This leads me to believe that the percentages posted by j4pac are accurate in regards to medical students applying to intern positions. (i.e. Nearly all 4th year medical students were given an intern spot, even if it was their second choice.) Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, does anyone know what it means to be an alternate? Is it heard of for an alternate to ultimately get a spot?

A few of the PGY1 "matches" in most specialties are NADDS so I don't know if it's fair to say the match rate is close to 100% since those guys still have to go through the civilian match. I think they Navy only has 258 PGY1 spots so for the next few years there will most likely be a number of deferments like there were this year.

Ouch, that certainly puts things into perspective. Best of luck to you amigo/a, I hope some doors open up for you.
Yeah the reason for my original post was to add some perspective, but it still probably feels like your house just burnt down and someone tells you that not only did their house burn down but the dog was inside.

What specialty are you aiming at? Why no LORs?

Unrelated to the above, this caught my eye:

What does that mean?

I don't think that's a new idea. Not an expert, but Google tells me people were doing this 30 years ago.

Autotransfusion isn't new, hemothorax through simple filter to IV line-should in theory be better than hextend. Definitely wasn't the first in an austere environment but the first documented case in the field for military.

Yeah the reason for my original post was to add some perspective, but it still probably feels like your house just burnt down and someone tells you that not only did their house burn down but the dog was inside.

Take that anger and use it as fuel to prove the military wrong.

You didn't play your cards right. Either you used your GMO time to jack off and not keep yourself competitive, or you set the bar too high on your desired residency. There is absolutely no question that military experience improves resume in the eyes of many civilian programs.

All of my friends have been very successful not only landing civilian residencies...but VERY GOOD civilian residencies...coming off of GMO/FS/UMO tours. See Mayo, Hopkins, Harvard, and Columbia/Cornell. But they didn't sit around moping about how awful their lives were for three plus years. They went out of their way to keep their skills up, dabble in case reports/reviews, shadow when given the rare opportunity, and put together a heck of a personal statement. Did they experience skills atrophy? Sure...but they made it work because they worked hard and knew how to communicate. When I was asked about my weaknesses on interviews, I specifically told them that I was concerned about skills atrophy of being outside of inpatient medicine for a while. They assured me that they weren't concerned and they felt that I would be able to get caught up quickly. Again...I WAS MORE CONCERNED ABOUT SKILLS ATROPHY THAN THEY WERE.

Edit: just read my post and it was a little harsh. Thank you for your service and I'm sorry that things haven't worked out for you. Please let us know what we can do to help. That is why we are here. You need to formulate a plan and sometimes it is helpful to have outsiders see things objectively. I do think that you are competitive for the civilian sector, but obviously....something is just missing here.

My post wasn't intended to criticize you...it was only to tell the prospective GMOs out there that your situation isn't typical and that you can be very competitive for civilian residency if you play your cards right.

Good luck.

I was being a little hyperbolic, definitely didn't screw around as a GMO - but might as well have been. If I was unable to withstand criticism, I wouldn't be desiring a residency. It is rather tough to do more than I did as a GMO, spending 90% of my time deployed or in the field, being PCS'd multiple times, or flat out told at duty stations that my presence was not desired in specialty clinics. What I do have a hard time withstanding is being offered a phone interview by an attending who I could walk to see in 5 minutes.

Your experience is your experience, but your characterization of how civilian programs view military time is not what most others have reported. Is this what you have actually experienced in the civilian match, or what you expect will occur when you apply?
Your experience is your experience, but your characterization of how civilian programs view military time is not what most others have reported. Is this what you have actually experienced in the civilian match, or what you expect will occur when you apply?
Maybe a civilian program will except me maybe not, the fact remains if I had gone civilian to begin with my military career would be better off today. Still haven't had an interview.

You haven't mentioned specialty yet, which could be revealing. I understand if you choose not to, in order to protect some anonymity. But it's really hard to know what to make of your situation. If you're chasing ortho or ENT, your 230 / 3.0 is the problem, not time out in GMO-land.

It's certainly tough to stay connected while a GMO, especially if deployed. Tough, but in my experience not impossible. I deployed twice in my 3 year GMO tour, total of 14 months overseas + another 4-5 months of workups away from home, plus some long hours. I had hopes and dreams of getting into the OR at Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune but it never happened. Never got a minute of clinical face time with a program for the 3 year GMO tour. I got my LORs from anesthesiologists at FRSS / role 2 facilities I loitered around while deployed. I did Iridium phone interviews from Iraq when applying. People like us who had what felt like one long continuous deployment during GMO time aren't unusual, and it seemed to me that programs knew the score and were understanding.

Maybe that's true. In my case, it's not. I've recently confronted the reality that the very thing that makes me desirable to (highly competitive, highly lucrative) fellowships is the same thing that prevents me from pursuing them.

I hope things work out for you. And I hope you know that the broad and quiet network of military and ex-military docs out there will always have your back.
That's what I have found as well, a surgeon over at Brown is currently looking for some work for me to help strengthen my C.V. I have certainly enjoyed my time with the Navy and think that I have grown as a physician, convincing others of this is my chore.

I hope things work out for you. And I hope you know that the broad and quiet network of military and ex-military docs out there will always have your back.

Having completed the (fellowship) interview circuit a few months ago, I have found that the network is not as deep or as broad as your post would suggest. YMMV, of course. I did end up matching at an Ivy program, but I felt that I needed to overcome the milmed stigma at every turn. Once again, if your milmed service consists of showing up to work at a san diego or DC, one may feel like you do. If you are stuck in a fort riley/leonard wood where there is no pathology/no opportunity to maintain your skills, your path to training may be quite different.

That's what I have found as well, a surgeon over at Brown is currently looking for some work for me to help strengthen my C.V. I have certainly enjoyed my time with the Navy and think that I have grown as a physician, convincing others of this is my chore.

Did you apply civilian this cycle? Applying to PGY-2 advance spots is great because if you don't match...oh well...you're still collecting a check (though you may be in a hell hole).

If you want better advice, you need to share more details. If you just want to vent, that's fine too. You also may be surprised what happens in the interview season. Get a rec letter from some senior operational doc. I wrote letters for folks deployed with me for other specialties and they did quite well in the process.

Is it ever possible to try and 'trade' PGY-1 spots with someone at a different location (assuming someone wanted to switch)? I'm grateful I was able to match, but I was really hoping to end up on the opposite coast that I matched to. Thanks.

An intern "match rate" of 100% (including deferments) is expected. A non-intern trained MD/DO is a non-licensed physician. Not very helpful to the Navy. The real test will be if those deferred successfully match in the civilian sector.

Is it ever possible to try and 'trade' PGY-1 spots with someone at a different location (assuming someone wanted to switch)? I'm grateful I was able to match, but I was really hoping to end up on the opposite coast that I matched to. Thanks.
It states very clearly in the contract under point number 2 that all JSGMESB board selections are final, and there are no post-board changes in locations or specialties.

For any Navy EM hopefuls out there, I have a bit of insight to share that might not be readily visible from the Bumed Note and the Navy match pdf.

As you might be aware of already, three years ago the Navy began selecting EM categorical interns. They started three years ago with 8, then brought that up to 12 last year, and this year they had a total complement of 16. At NMCP this year, four of the interns were selected for straight through training, and the other four will be going to the fleet. The remaining 6 pgy-2 spots were filled with GMOs.

The important thing to consider is that in a few years there will be at least 8 PGY-2 applicants that will have completed a categorical EM internship. That means that for the 20 spots available for Navy EM, 8 will likely be filled by incumbent EM interns and 8 will likely be filled by GMOs returning from the fleet who have completed an EM internship. That leaves 4 spots per year for everyone else. In essence, if you don't land a Navy EM internship right out of medical school, your chances of matching are much more difficult that the aforementioned "50%" that was referenced earlier by analyzing the pdf match list. You are looking more at 20%.

Now, things change each year and stuff happens with applicants and bumed notes, but this is the general trend that I have been observing. This trend already occurs with other categoricals in Navy (ie ENT, Ortho), but it will be quickly developing for EM...

For any Navy EM hopefuls out there, I have a bit of insight to share that might not be readily visible from the Bumed Note and the Navy match pdf.

As you might be aware of already, three years ago the Navy began selecting EM categorical interns. They started three years ago with 8, then brought that up to 12 last year, and this year they had a total complement of 16. At NMCP this year, four of the interns were selected for straight through training, and the other four will be going to the fleet. The remaining 6 pgy-2 spots were filled with GMOs.

What a hot mess....

What a hot mess....
I think we all knew that when the day finally came that the Navy got serious about migrating to straight-through training, that there'd be some people out in the fleet who'd be left without a chair, who'd end up serving their GMO time and getting out to look for a civilian residency. I don't see any way around that math.

Do you have the same spreadsheet from last year by chance? Saw it mentioned in a different thread.

I do...ill try to put it up next week.

Congrats to those who got selected and for those GMOs who did not get selected, apply civilian. You will most definitely find a spot at the right institution, succeed and move forward.

I think we all knew that when the day finally came that the Navy got serious about migrating to straight-through training, that there'd be some people out in the fleet who'd be left without a chair, who'd end up serving their GMO time and getting out to look for a civilian residency. I don't see any way around that math.

I agree. It's just good info to be aware of as a 4th medical student and/or returning GMO. If you don't match an EM internship and are dead set on being an EM doc, its helpful to know the reality ahead of time. Maybe it would help you decide earlier that you want to get out and pursue cv res, meaning that you can avoid another GME cycle after pgy1 and directly contact the detailer for your desired GMO position as soon as the billets are published.

If you decide to go for Navy EM the following document might prove helpful. It was written by the current PD for NMCP and helped me along my way. Best of luck.

Attachments

• Gouge_for_Selection (1).doc
    46 KB · Views: 91
There will always be openings, in my opinion, until the GMO tour is completely abolished. If there aren't inservice openings then there is always the possibility that NADDS or similar opportunity would be available for some.

Until GMO completely goes the way of the dodo bird (probably won't happen in anyone's time that is currently in or thinking about milmed from the past attempts) there will always be people who do an XYZ internship and then change their mind or decide to pursue the civilian world after their GMO tour.

What IS being hurt by these categorical internships is the transitional year and general surgery groups. That used to be a very feasible way of giving yourself options and also a way for someone who may not have selected the first go round a chance in the future. If categorical internships continue to expand then it will turn into a one and done type of scenario. (For gen surgery internship they used to pick up strong-ish applicants for ENT/ortho/ER/anesthesia/etc that there simply weren't enough spots for in the mil system.

Anyone know if it's customary to get no-cost TAD orders to travel to interview after the GMESB has given the select for a FTOS fellowship?

I'll just take a SL day to drive to nearby programs but I have one interview lined up that will require air travel. Would rather not burn leave days.

I've use No cost TAD to go on interviews

Same here. Just had to provide an interview schedule to ensure that the time off was counted as TDY (Army) instead of leave.

Anyone know if it's customary to get no-cost TAD orders to travel to interview after the GMESB has given the select for a FTOS fellowship?

I'll just take a SL day to drive to nearby programs but I have one interview lined up that will require air travel. Would rather not burn leave days.

Ask for funded travel. They will say no but the fall back position will be no cost TAD (and if they say yes, then you get to party like you're in the Secret Service).