*Official 2015 JSGMESB Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally was able to log in and there is nothing posted either way. The webpage looks like it did even before I applied. I think I'm going back to bed as now I have no idea when it actually will get posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something must be up with the site as 5hrs ago the Navy GME facebook page said the results would be out at midnight. Wonder if there's a computer glitch...

Members don't see this ad :)
EM at Darnall. Jesus thank you.

Reactions: 3 users
Non-select. 2 years GMO, a deployment, and a research project lead to nothing. Points system my a$$. I have no idea what I'm going to do now.

Non-select. 2 years GMO, a deployment, and a research project lead to nothing. Points system my a$$. I have no idea what I'm going to do now.

If this is your first "real" application for the specialty then take a few days to be pissed then see if you can set up a meeting/phone call with either the specialty leader or one of the program directors. Ask them to give you honest feedback about where you stand for future applications, they should be able to give you an idea if this year was super competitive for some reason or some other issue. If they hedge their bets then talk to your closest ally in that specialty and see if they have/can get any insight.

At least in the Navy the same person can not match one year and match easily the next simply based on fluctuations in numbers of applicants or people not being eligible for selection. Or I've seen the opposite where a person matched one year and if they had been the following year would not have matched.

Reactions: 1 users
For preselect residencies, how do you know what your PGY-1 year will be? I ranked mine TY > Prelim Med > Prelim Surg, but there's no mention anywhere which one I was assigned.

Congratulations to everyone that matched!

If you didn't match: FWIW in our area we're seeing a lot of surprising non-selects this year. Have not seen the stats from AMEDD yet, but it looks like it may have been a tough year across the board. Follow @backrow's advice above.

We as physicians are used to being successful at every step of our academic career - getting a non-select is painful and only time will heal that wound. Talk with everyone you can that is in an academic leadership position and try to get a realistic picture of your future chance at that specialty. Scrambling for a 2nd or 3rd choice specialty may be the most appropriate choice for many docs.

Reactions: 1 user
Browsing through this thread it looks like that means I have the Army funding required for a civilian fellowship. Does this mean I got accepted? I don't want to truly believe that until someone can confirm/deny, haha.

Sorry to hear that, Wernicke...

Sorry man.

Bummer, sorry man......this is what I fear.....and this is what I keep telling people (that the point system is a facade , serves as a "suggestion" at best). Would you mind sharing what you applied for?

Does anybody else think it's wierd that they publish names of 'non-selects'? It's kind of rude if you ask me....you could just as easily publish the names of the 'selects', and anybody not on it could assume they weren't selected. Anybody understand why they do this?

For preselect residencies, how do you know what your PGY-1 year will be? I ranked mine TY > Prelim Med > Prelim Surg, but there's no mention anywhere which one I was assigned.
FYI I called the number on my contract and they told me what my PGY-1 year would be in. Congrats to all who found out good news! And to those who didn't, stick with it; I can't wait to be your colleague one day! :)

Bummer, sorry man......this is what I fear.....and this is what I keep telling people (that the point system is a facade , serves as a "suggestion" at best). Would you mind sharing what you applied for?

Does anybody else think it's wierd that they publish names of 'non-selects'? It's kind of rude if you ask me....you could just as easily publish the names of the 'selects', and anybody not on it could assume they weren't selected. Anybody understand why they do this?

Sure, I applied to EM. I know it's very competitive, but I have the aforementioned service earning points and my med school grades/boards were above average. I thought I would get some love and a thanks for serving from the board, but I guess not.

Sure, I applied to EM. I know it's very competitive, but I have the aforementioned service earning points and my med school grades/boards were above average. I thought I would get some love and a thanks for serving from the board, but I guess not.

I have a buddy who gave up on military EM last year and matched into a quality civilian program last year and is in his PGY-2 year. The grass more often than not is greener on the other side.

Does anyone have the Navy list they would mind email to me? Please PM me.

FYI, I was just told that because I didn't check the additional specialties box on MODS that I would not be eligible to scramble. It's fine in my case but if there are other disappointed souls out there you may want to check in with the GME office.

It is a little strange. They used to put SS numbers on the released list too!

There's a third option besides SEL and ALT ... and that' s the non-select. If you applied and you're not on the list at all, that may be a worse sign than if you're an ALT.

It usually floats around from person to person as a PDF file.

If someone else doesn't get to it first, I'll clean up the list (removing names etc) and post it later today. I think it helps future applicants get a feel for how competitive certain fields are.

@pgg

Congrats my friend! Well deserved and a long time coming.

Thanks. It's a relief. After this year, I had two more boards to go, before the training opportunity would have come too late to mesh with my PCS / MSP / retirement schedule. Word is the Navy will start training at least one of us every year so there's hope for future applicants. The last few years have been barren.