Official 2015 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realized no one made a thread for 2015 so decided to make one. Anyone take the January 6 or 22 test? There's a Feb date coming up soon too. How was it? What did you use to study and would recommend to future test-takers? Anything particularly high-yield? Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

It might be those "next step" questions that aren't really in review books. Everybody I talked to didn't preform high in that area.

Just keep pounding away on uworld and first aid. Did you take an NBME yet?
Probably taking 17 next week or the week after. UWSA 2 will be the week before. Just planning on doing Uworld, Pathoma, and firecracker in the meantime.

Just took C (already took A and B) and healthcare delivery issues has been my worst on every one. Either far left column or one over. No idea what the crap it is.

3/30 A 566
4/23 B 555
5/16 C 642

Just hoping to break 650 on the real thing June 11th.
Great scores. My exam is July 7th, and I do not have your scores yet but I plan to get or close to my target score of 550 on the COMSAEs before taking the COMLEX.

Reactions: 1 user
Great scores. My exam is July 7th, and I do not have your scores yet but I plan to get or close to my target score of 550 on the COMSAEs before taking the COMLEX.
Thanks. It's where I hoped to be, but higher than I expected to be. I keep feeling like it's all messing with me to make me feel relaxed, then the real thing is going to kill me haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you people even real?! Scoring in mid 600's is amazing so far away from the test. I can barely break 470 and my goal is 500 and its in 18 days, 17hours, 22 min, but who's counting?

I am not doing much FA/UWorld, just DIT/Quest and some FA on things I do not have time to do DIT on. I feel like Comlex is diff than USMLE and UWorld is good but Comquest might be better for the exam. I talked to numerous people who said they wish they did less Uworld and more quest since the questions were more like ComQuest than World.

Do you guys agree? I have 18 days and I'm in freak out mode! I need to maximize my efficiency and hit the high yield, low hanging fruit. Advice please?!

Are you people even real?! Scoring in mid 600's is amazing so far away from the test. I can barely break 470 and my goal is 500 and its in 18 days, 17hours, 22 min, but who's counting?

I am not doing much FA/UWorld, just DIT/Quest and some FA on things I do not have time to do DIT on. I feel like Comlex is diff than USMLE and UWorld is good but Comquest might be better for the exam. I talked to numerous people who said they wish they did less Uworld and more quest since the questions were more like ComQuest than World.

Do you guys agree? I have 18 days and I'm in freak out mode! I need to maximize my efficiency and hit the high yield, low hanging fruit. Advice please?!
I know it is easier said than done, my best advice is not to freak out. I have spoken to many students that have already taken COMLEX and they have said the COMSAEs under estimate your score. If you think you are not ready, i wouldn't take the test. However, if you can't change your exam date, then go for it. You will most likely pass.

After doing COMSAE D, it seemed to me that the OMM questions weren't that bad at all - anyone else feel the same way?

I haven't touched Saverese at all

After doing COMSAE D, it seemed to me that the OMM questions weren't that bad at all - anyone else feel the same way?

I haven't touched Saverese at all

I thought OMM questions were straight forward, but my COMSAE from says borderline proficiency. Im wondering if they put anatomy as OMM ?

Sooooooo... Any experiences as of yet? Advice?

Took this biatch last week. Just a brief rundown of my thoughts here because overall my experience was identical to what you read in last year's level 1 thread. Lots o' micro, pharm, neuro/anatomy/omm and a surprising amount of the common CV and pulm stuff like asthma and CHF.

To sum it up I walked out of the testing center pretty pissed off because a) I felt like the exam in no way tested my understanding of the first two years of medical school and b) most of the wtf type questions were a straight forward vignette with answer options that were like word games...I felt like I was choosing the least incorrect answer rather than the most correct. It was really weird beyond the level that I saw on COMSAE's.

Now, let me back up a bit and say that I tend to dwell on the few questions I got wrong and forget about the easy ones. I spent the last 2 years thinking I failed every test because all I could think about were the 15 tough questions on the test. Then come to find out that I got the other 85 easy--moderately difficult questions right.

My thoughts by subject:
1. Micro: these were mostly first order name the bug based off most common or other ID characteristics we love like thayer-martin agar, lysed RBCs etc.. When it was dysentery, only one option would be a crampy, bloody diarrhea while the other 4 options were watery diarhea pathogens. If you know your basics and buzzwords, micro is easy points.

2.Neuro/anatomy/omm: I lump these together because sometimes I wasnt' sure what subject the question was. Neuro was tons what artery causing the stroke symptoms. Anatomy/neuro was your standard peripheral nerves innervation etc. OMM seemed straight forward. There were a few odd ball questions but the bulk were exactly what you probably saw on your school's exams.

3. Pharm: I studied the hell out of pharm because I'm a nerd so this is hard for me to judge the difficulty. Either first order class of drug for disease X or MOA for drug Y. The rest were side effx and toxicities. I thought they were easy when I would pick up on the classic side effect or toxicity. If you know these, the questions are as simple as spironolactone is a K-sparing is putting someone at risk for hyperK, for example. If you don't pick up what they're hinting at then it's just a guess and move on.

4. The rest seemed like it was mostly type of pathophysiology questions. In reality most of these were as straight forward regarding starling forces or Like, e.g., a 3 paragraph clinical presentation and history of a patient and then it would ask what is causing symptom X. Then, none of the answer choices would make sense and you would spend 45 seconds decoding them to choose which one in a round-about way would maybe indirectly lead to the symptom X.

One last tip I can think of right now: Most of the questions are very short 2-3 sentences, but when you get the occasional longer pt presentation, don't get lured in to sifting through every word trying to figure it out along the way. Jump to the bottom and look at the actual question. This is a made up example to preserve test confidentiality, but I had several that were of similar style. Example: a 500 word H&P on a burn victim with all of his lab values and comorbidities then the real question at the end was what is the most likely pathogen infecting his burn wounds.

And finally, the reason I say I didn't feel like it reflected my understanding of medicine was because I spent 2 years learning from sources like pathoma, first aid, comlex-style Q banks and NONE of these will prepare you for their crappily-worded answer choices. Now, the bulk of the test was textbook, board-review type of questions, but those wtf questions are so frustrating they'll make you want to build a time machine, go back in time, and burn your AACOMAS app and only apply MD.

/end rant.

We will all pass and be doctors. I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Thank you and godspeed for all those upcoming comlexes!

Reactions: 5 users
Took this biatch last week. Just a brief rundown of my thoughts here because overall my experience was identical to what you read in last year's level 1 thread. Lots o' micro, pharm, neuro/anatomy/omm and a surprising amount of the common CV and pulm stuff like asthma and CHF.

To sum it up I walked out of the testing center pretty pissed off because a) I felt like the exam in no way tested my understanding of the first two years of medical school and b) most of the wtf type questions were a straight forward vignette with answer options that were like word games...I felt like I was choosing the least incorrect answer rather than the most correct. It was really weird beyond the level that I saw on COMSAE's.

Now, let me back up a bit and say that I tend to dwell on the few questions I got wrong and forget about the easy ones. I spent the last 2 years thinking I failed every test because all I could think about were the 15 tough questions on the test. Then come to find out that I got the other 85 easy--moderately difficult questions right.

My thoughts by subject:
1. Micro: these were mostly first order name the bug based off most common or other ID characteristics we love like thayer-martin agar, lysed RBCs etc.. When it was dysentery, only one option would be a crampy, bloody diarrhea while the other 4 options were watery diarhea pathogens. If you know your basics and buzzwords, micro is easy points.

2.Neuro/anatomy/omm: I lump these together because sometimes I wasnt' sure what subject the question was. Neuro was tons what artery causing the stroke symptoms. Anatomy/neuro was your standard peripheral nerves innervation etc. OMM seemed straight forward. There were a few odd ball questions but the bulk were exactly what you probably saw on your school's exams.

3. Pharm: I studied the hell out of pharm because I'm a nerd so this is hard for me to judge the difficulty. Either first order class of drug for disease X or MOA for drug Y. The rest were side effx and toxicities. I thought they were easy when I would pick up on the classic side effect or toxicity. If you know these, the questions are as simple as spironolactone is a K-sparing is putting someone at risk for hyperK, for example. If you don't pick up what they're hinting at then it's just a guess and move on.

4. The rest seemed like it was mostly type of pathophysiology questions. In reality most of these were as straight forward regarding starling forces or Like, e.g., a 3 paragraph clinical presentation and history of a patient and then it would ask what is causing symptom X. Then, none of the answer choices would make sense and you would spend 45 seconds decoding them to choose which one in a round-about way would maybe indirectly lead to the symptom X.

One last tip I can think of right now: Most of the questions are very short 2-3 sentences, but when you get the occasional longer pt presentation, don't get lured in to sifting through every word trying to figure it out along the way. Jump to the bottom and look at the actual question. This is a made up example to preserve test confidentiality, but I had several that were of similar style. Example: a 500 word H&P on a burn victim with all of his lab values and comorbidities then the real question at the end was what is the most likely pathogen infecting his burn wounds.

And finally, the reason I say I didn't feel like it reflected my understanding of medicine was because I spent 2 years learning from sources like pathoma, first aid, comlex-style Q banks and NONE of these will prepare you for their crappily-worded answer choices. Now, the bulk of the test was textbook, board-review type of questions, but those wtf questions are so frustrating they'll make you want to build a time machine, go back in time, and burn your AACOMAS app and only apply MD.

/end rant.

We will all pass and be doctors. I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Thank you and godspeed for all those upcoming comlexes!

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together!!! It must be nice to be done with this.

Thanks for the great write up! I hope more people come back to this thread and post here as well. I know a lot of us are taking both Step 1 and COMLEX but at the end of the day if you are applying to a more competitive specialty this is probably the score that matters more. So I hope more people take the time to write out their experiences here in addition to the Step 1 thread. Hang in there, we are almost there!

Last edited:

Sounds to me like you killed it brotha

I have a couple of questions about the exam I am taking it soon.
Is the first 4 blocks under the same timer? So if I finish Block one in 40 min, I have 20 extra minutes for the other sections?
Do you have to bring anything else besides ID?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people that recently took COMLEX -- Do you think COMSAE was well spent? I heard the question stems on COMLEX are much longer. COMSAE wasn't very representative.

I'm finishing up COMBANK right now and want to something to gauge where I am at. So, I'm thinking to buy COMQUEST for the sake of imitating the real exam. Yes? No? Stupid idea?

Last edited:
I talked to a few people, seems like there are two exams. One is worst than uworld and has long stems, brutal questions, and is overall much harder. Than the other exams is just like comquest and comsaes. Maybe this is a slow integration into the new restandardization that we heard off?

I talked to a few people, seems like there are two exams. One is worst than uworld and has long stems, brutal questions, and is overall much harder. Than the other exams is just like comquest and comsaes. Maybe this is a slow integration into the new restandardization that we heard off?

This has me very scared! In the worst case scenario, you can study your ass off during third year and take the USMLE. Apply to only ACGME residencies since they won't care about the COMLEX scores. Good luck buddy!!!

"There are two exams. One is worst than uworld and has long stems, brutal questions, and is overall much harder. Than the other exams is just like comquest and comsaes. Maybe this is a slow integration into the new restandardization that we heard off?"

This is what I have heard from many and have experienced personally. The exam i took was much harder and more obscure than I anticipated. I really hope that the NBOME works to standardize the scoring over the two exams or I am in for a very nasty surprise fairly soon. Good Luck all!

After talking to more and more people, I am 99% sure there are two formats (each format has numerous exams i assume, so questions don't repeat, but the difficulty and distribution seems to repeats). One seems to be like COMSAE/COMQUEST, (old exam) and the other one seem so to be the new standard, with difficult questions and long stems. Anyone else agree?

This is what I have heard from many and have experienced personally. The exam i took was much harder and more obscure than I anticipated. I really hope that the NBOME works to standardize the scoring over the two exams or I am in for a very nasty surprise fairly soon. Good Luck all!

I hope the same thing happens as last year, and we all get 100+ points back!

After talking to more and more people, I am 99% sure there are two formats (each format has numerous exams i assume, so questions don't repeat, but the difficulty and distribution seems to repeats). One seems to be like COMSAE/COMQUEST, (old exam) and the other one seem so to be the new standard, with difficult questions and long stems. Anyone else agree?

I hope the same thing happens as last year, and we all get 100+ points back!

I will let you know how mine goes in a couple of days. For those doing only COMLEX (therefore in many cases not using UWorld), they will get screwed because all we have been using was FA plus the Bank and Quest, and aren't prepared for this "new" apparent format.

I just feel like the NBOME/Schools don't provide us with any resources to study. We are not using USMLE and are using COMLEX, yet we aren't provided any resources. First Aid for USMLE, UsmleWORLD, DIT, Pathoma, they are all geared towards USMLE. Why isn't there a FA for COMLEX? ComlexWorld? I feel that with the ACGME merger and the AOA stand on keeping the COMLEX, there should be more guidance and resources available.

I just feel like the NBOME/Schools don't provide us with any resources to study. We are not using USMLE and are using COMLEX, yet we aren't provided any resources. First Aid for USMLE, UsmleWORLD, DIT, Pathoma, they are all geared towards USMLE. Why isn't there a FA for COMLEX? ComlexWorld? I feel that with the ACGME merger and the AOA stand on keeping the COMLEX, there should be more guidance and resources available.
You realize that every resource you listed is a privately owned company selling you a product. There are WAY more MD students than there are DO students and WAY more people taking the USMLE. Why limit your product to only 5~K students a year when you can do 25~K students a year. All about the money.

Besides, the reality is the CONTENT for the two exams is the same, with some OMM thrown into the COMLEX. Read Savarese and prepare for the USMLE (content-wise) then do COMLEX styled questions (like comquest and combank) and that should be more than enough "guidance and resources" to succeed on the COMLEX. In what way would FA for COMLEX be different? (other than cutting out a bunch of biochem and adding OMM). And there are numerous "ComlexWorld" type q-banks available. Combank, comquest, Kaplan (that's all I know of). Those are thousands and thousands of questions.

Hopefully one day they'll get rid of the COMLEX and make everyone take the USMLE, then demonstrate OMM competency with the COMAT or something.

Guys, isn't the test curved with everyone who is taking it so what does it matter which form you get?

Reactions: 1 users
For the people that recently took COMLEX -- Do you think COMSAE was well spent? I heard the question stems on COMLEX are much longer. COMSAE wasn't very representative.

I'm finishing up COMBANK right now and want to something to gauge where I am at. So, I'm thinking to buy COMQUEST for the sake of imitating the real exam. Yes? No? Stupid idea?

I haven't taken the comlex yet, but yesterday I did a combank assessment. I guess it's new this year so hard to say how accurate it is or anything, but it was nice to get a percentage and a percentile at then end (but again new this year so who knows) and be able to go over the questions. I felt like it was really similar to the comsaes, what ever that's worth. It's only $35.

Anyone else care to share their experiences? It sounds like there are "two forms"... one old (heavy in Micro/Neuro/Anat/OMM + 1 other random one) and one new one (heavy in lots of WTF questions and also breast path/repro).

I am so bummed today. I don't know if I should just quit med school or push it through. I took COMSE D in beginning of May and got a 380. Since then, I have been prepping and been doing well. My COMQUEST averages is 65%, Uworld goes anywhere from 50-60% and I thought I was doing good enough.

Today I took NBME 16 and bombed it ~ got a 168 (Raw score 220). I am only taking COMLEX and I am signed up for June 26th. Any advise? I am having a nervous break down here

Last edited:
I am so bummed today. I don't know if I should just quit med school or push it through. I took COMSE C in beginning of May and got a 380. Since then, I have been prepping and been doing well. My COMQUEST averages is 65%, Uworld goes anywhere from 50-60% and I thought I was doing good enough.

Today I took NBME 16 and bombed it ~ got a 168 (Raw score 220). I am only taking COMLEX and I am signed up for June 26th. Any advise? I am having a nervous break down here
Take another COMSAE, perhaps? It will expose your weaknesses. At least that's what I'm told.

I am so bummed today. I don't know if I should just quit med school or push it through. I took COMSE C in beginning of May and got a 380. Since then, I have been prepping and been doing well. My COMQUEST averages is 65%, Uworld goes anywhere from 50-60% and I thought I was doing good enough.

Why would you take an NBME if you are only taking comlex? The only thing that tells me is you shouldn't take the usmle.

When is your date? Don't focus on UWorld averages, just learn the most you can from it.

Why would you take an NBME if you are only taking comlex? The only thing that tells me is you shouldn't take the usmle.

When is your date? Don't focus on UWorld averages, just learn the most you can from it.

Well, my stupid school made us take that. I signed up for June 26th.

I just need to know what you guys think? Do I still have a chance of passing COMLEX? These 2 years have been a real struggle for me and I am just tired.

You still have 3 weeks to go and your COMQUEST percentage isn't bad. Finish Uworld, read First Aid and take a COMSAE closer to the date. Honestly I'd take a day off for you gather yourself, may not be what you want to hear but it will help. You still have a lot of time for improvement.

Sounds like we go to the same school :p
I just took NBME 16 today and didn't do well either. I'm also only taking COMLEX (also on the 26th)
I hear form 16 is very hard and if you're only taking COMLEX I wouldn't be too worried... I think the best bet is to take another COMSAE and see how you do, as well as hammer in high yield info in subjects you're weaker in. I feel like you have been working so hard for years to get to this point.. don't quit now. Just keep your head in the game for a few more weeks!

I realize that the score release date for anyone taking the COMLEX after April 15 is set for July, but is there anyone who took it earlier, or even last year, that could comment on their score correlation between COMSAE vs. COMLEX? There's some older posts on SDN about this topic, but no real solid "data" like there is for NBME vs. USMLE.

I just finished Comquest with 68%. I have two weeks before my exam. What is a good study strategy advice for the last two weeks before my exam? @Planes2Doc How harder was your COMLEX than Comquest and Comsae D?

Ouch. My COMLEX was definitely harder than COMSAE form D and Comquest.

Any advice you could provide on what resources you felt helped the best? (comquest, combank, uworld, pathoma, FA). This new exam doesn't seem fun at all.

I haven't taken the comlex yet, but yesterday I did a combank assessment. I guess it's new this year so hard to say how accurate it is or anything, but it was nice to get a percentage and a percentile at then end (but again new this year so who knows) and be able to go over the questions. I felt like it was really similar to the comsaes, what ever that's worth. It's only $35.
Could you send me the link to the combank assessment? I can't find it.

Ouch. My COMLEX was definitely harder than COMSAE form D and Comquest.

If you have the time could you give us a breakdown of the test? Would love to hear about your experience and how you prepared for this beast. Thanks!

Could you send me the link to the combank assessment? I can't find it.

Got an email from them awhile ago that says "To purchase the COMLEX Level 1 Assessment Exam for $35, log into your COMBANKaccount and click the "Add Assessment" button at the top. Two different 200-item exams are available; you have the option to buy one ($35) or both exams ($70)". It's in the top left corner.

Got an email from them awhile ago that says "To purchase the COMLEX Level 1 Assessment Exam for $35, log into your COMBANKaccount and click the "Add Assessment" button at the top. Two different 200-item exams are available; you have the option to buy one ($35) or both exams ($70)". It's in the top left corner.
Just took it yesterday. My test was a combination of Neuro, OMM, Anatomy, Repro, Cardio and Micro. Micro was definitely very Uworld like with slides that helps you narrow down gram + vs gram - etc. A lot of long stem questions so make sure you manage your time. I got a lot of pathology slides but MOST questions gave other clues to figure out the answer without understanding what the hell was going on in the slide. I was surprised by how many cardio questions were on the exam. Had I known, I definitely wouldve spent more time on it. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks!

Just took it...and they reuse the questions from your question bank!?! The heck...and they ate my $35 bucks w/ just giving me...if you're taking COMLEX today...you're in % percentile.

Last edited:
Just took it yesterday. My test was a combination of Neuro, OMM, Anatomy, Repro, Cardio and Micro. Micro was definitely very Uworld like with slides that helps you narrow down gram + vs gram - etc. A lot of long stem questions so make sure you manage your time. I got a lot of pathology slides but MOST questions gave other clues to figure out the answer without understanding what the hell was going on in the slide. I was surprised by how many cardio questions were on the exam. Had I known, I definitely wouldve spent more time on it. Good luck everyone!

This sounds exactly like my experience! For most part, microbiology was simple. Just a couple of weird questions. Path was okay, but if I could go back in time, I would have done pathoma again. The histology would really throw me off because it is specific and abstract. I would stick to using Comquest for studying, but I found a majority of the question stems to be a few sentences longer on the real thing. This threw my timing way off, since I was usually twenty minutes ahead on Comquest assesments (using 50 questions @ 1 hour) and had time to look over my marked questions. I looked over the marked questions on my first section only, but quickly realized it was a mistake. If I were any of you, I would keep doing Comquest questions, try to get another pass of FA if possible, and watch the Pathoma videos at night. If you learn from questions, then go ahead and do UWorld, but it's not reprsentative of COMLEX.

Listening to other people on this website is pointless for this exam. Because the restandardization changed everything. Some people got an easy exam and some got an impossible one. My exam was brutal. Nothing like quest or comsae and many questions worse than uworld. They really screwed up this restandardization. What makes me mad is that the people who got the easy one, felt on top of the world after the exam.

And to be honest. It makes me sad that the AOA is judging my medical knowledge and expertise based on random miss spelled grammatically incorrect questions that have more than one correct answer or questions that are not found in FA or Sev.

Thank you guys for sharing! It definitely sounds like there are two exams floating around out there... one you can prepare for and one that is out of this world!

To elaborate, I used Uworld and comquest. There were some comquest style but many were Uworld. I got the new exam, huge in pathology, tons of pictures of breasts or uterus and basically said what's the diagnosis? Most OMM isn't from Green book. Most renal/electrolytes/ob/ and even neuro is above FA. I feel like a cotton headed ninnymuggins (a f**k up) right know. Idk what to do because I got the short stick and shafted on the exam.

Thats what I've been hearing too Dr. TurkandJD.. you definitely are not the only one feeling this way! I'm sorry! I hope the scores are adjusted accordingly!

And to be honest. It makes me sad that the AOA is judging my medical knowledge and expertise based on random miss spelled grammatically incorrect questions that have more than one correct answer or questions that are not found in FA or Sev.
Pretty much sums up the COMLEX from what I hear. It's a bit of a crapshoot.