Official 2014 UK Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought i'd make a thread for all those who applied to the UK for 2014 entry into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to apply, they shut me out immediately because I have a diploma in nursing, and currently a pre-med.

I don't believe they don't allow nurses to apply at all. Where are you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Saudi Arabia, but that is not the case with UK

Here is one of the emails I got from UK med schools. Btw, they all said the same thing.

"
Thank you for your interest in studying Medicine at the University of Leicester.

I apologise for the delay in dealing with your enquiry, it is a very busy time here at Leicester Medical School.

Unfortunately, because of the fully integrated nature of the medical curriculum, the Medical School has a policy of not considering applications from students who have studied or are studying at another University either to transfer into the course at any point or to restart from Year one.

I am sorry to give you such news but wish you well with your future studies.

Best wishes,

Katie Reeves

Admissions Assistant

"

That letter doesn't seem to have anything to do with your nursing degree. It might be because they consider applications from students who will be graduating and won't consider applications from students who are still completing their degree?

I don't know, even when I said that I don't mind starting from year one they replied with this

"
We also do not consider students who have started a medical degree elsewhere

Mrs Linda Harding | Recruitment and Admissions Manager | Manchester Medical School | The University of Manchester | Ground Floor | Stopford Building | Oxford Road |Manchester M13 9PT | UK |

Email: [email protected] |Tel: 0161 275 5025/5574
"

Maybe it has nothing to do with my nursing degree, but it sure does have something with me taking pre-med

I don't know, even when I said that I don't mind starting from year one they replied with this

"
We also do not consider students who have started a medical degree elsewhere

Mrs Linda Harding | Recruitment and Admissions Manager | Manchester Medical School | The University of Manchester | Ground Floor | Stopford Building | Oxford Road |Manchester M13 9PT | UK |

Email: [email protected] |Tel: 0161 275 5025/5574
"

Maybe it has nothing to do with my nursing degree, but it sure does have something with me taking pre-med

Is it pre-med or a medical degree? Because they won't take you if you are in a program that leads to a medical degree.

In North America, the "pre-med" degree doesn't automatically lead to a medical degree so don't get that confused.

Its a pre-med, I made that pretty clear to them.

Its a pre-med, I made that pretty clear to them.
I'm sorry that the UK won't consider you. I think either the schools thought that it was a medical program or they just found an excuse to reject you.

Good luck with the rest of your application.