**Official 2014 Orthodontic Match/Non-Match Results**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a phone call from Dr. Godel asking how I am doing?

Anyone else hear from temple?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya.. I agree but I think I am matching at washington hospital center. Being from DC I would like to get back home

Reactions: 1 user
Tomorrow is the LAST day for rank order list submission....almost there. Good luck everyone and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's do this :xf: Last year applicants started receiving emails at 6 am. I know for sure I am not sleeping tonight:wideyed:

Good luck everyone! Hope everyone matches!

6am must be for the western time zones maybe??

Members don't see this ad :)
Has it really been a year since match?! Time flies when you're slapping braces on. Best of luck to all of you tomorrow morning!

How you liking it green wave? Would love to hear a run down on what to hopefully expect

Name of School: University of Pittsburgh :)
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2014
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency:none
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass
GRE Score:
Class Rank: 1
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where:
Research: 2 researches
Extracurriculars: A lot
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:

Name of School: Washington Hospital Center
Dental School Attended:
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: none
NBDE Part I/II scores: 92 / pass
GRE Score: 155 Verbal, 160 Math, 3.5
Class Rank: 2 /100
Externship(s)/where: LSU, UMKC, UNC
Research: 2 poster presentations
Extracurriculars: many clubs and volunteering
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 25/ 14/ 11 (due to conflicts) / 10

Can someone post the match stats that are all up right now for match applicants only? Match results, where is open all that info? Thank you Good Luck everyone

Name of School: didn't match unfortunately
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:2002
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Part I/II scores:88/89
GRE Score:155, 155
Class Rank:8/136
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where: UNLV
Research:2 projects in dental school
Extracurriculars: private practice, collegiate athletics
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:30/11/5/3

Congratulations to everyone who successfully matched

Last edited:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:30/11/5/3

Why didn't you attend 6 of the interviews?
I matched at my #6 choice. If I had only attended 5 interviews and ranked 3, match would have never worked out favorably for me.

Name of School: Oklahoma University!
Dental School Attended: UT Houston
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass
GRE Score: Math 157, Verbal 153, Writing 4.5
Class Rank: 9/86 (when I applied)
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: Minimal. Nothing published.
Extracurriculars: IM sports. A few clubs. Nothing major.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 15/6/4/4

Name of School: Montefiore Medical Center
Dental School Attended: Nova Southeastern
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2010
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None
NBDE Part I/II scores: 90/80
GRE Score: Math 156, Verbal 154, Writing 4.0
Class Rank: 7/128
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: Assisted on one ortho research project
Extracurriculars: pedo volunteering in dental school, private practice observation, two ortho cases under supervision of an orthodontist, 4 years Military, 3 years part-time at a community clinic
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 24/17/6/6

Congrats to everyone that matched and "non-matched" if you will and for those who didn't, all the best to you moving forward. Advice to the future applicants out there, keep your grades up, but also do as much as you can to beef your resume up and show that you not only really want to be an orthodontist, but that you're going to be a good resident as well. As soon as you get an interview, it's an even playing field. The interview is by far the most important part of the game, so make sure you show up for game time. Also, all of the programs that I interviewed at greatly appreciated the fact that I had professional experience so if you don't have the strongest grades, but really want this then do a PGY-1 (AEGD or GPR) and/or work for a couple of years and submit your application. I guarantee it will open doors for you. Good luck.

Anyone heard anything about the two open spots at ohio state?

Anyone heard anything about the two open spots at ohio state?
My friend took one of the spots for Ohio State. Not sure about the other spot, but it might be safe to assume its now gone.

I hate to make an example of this, but I warn ortho applicants every year to rank ALL of your interviews as a bad program is better than NO program. Not only do you have to wait another year and incur the application and travel expenses again, but you just blacklisted yourself from those programs that you interviewed at but did not rank (in essence, you reduced your chances of getting in altogether). Spread the word and tell everyone to rank each one of your interviewed programs.

Reactions: 2 users
In applying I was hoping to leave a good situation for an even better one. During the application process my current good situation became even better with practice ownership opportunity opening up. I did attend 5 interviews. Two of them were pre match. I ranked every program and would have felt fortunate to attend any of the programs. I had a hard time missing three weeks of work for interviews. In hindsight I should have attended more interviews. Realistically I would only have been able to attend 2 more because of conflicting dates. I felt bad leaving patients and especially staff in a lurch for all that time. I was certainly disappointed in not matching and would agree with what has been said about ranking every program. Disappointed more people have not shared their match results successful or not.

Name of School: Nova Southeastern
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:2014
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: Preceptorship in Restorative
International Student (yes/no): Yes
NBDE Part I/II scores:88/pass
GRE Score:
Class Rank:13/126
Match/Non-Match:Match
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: Assistant on 4 projects
Extracurriculars: Few clubs, volunteering
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 26/4/4/3 (one was non-match)

Name of School: Nova Southeastern University
Dental School Attended:
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: no
NBDE Part I/II scores: 91/pass
GRE Score: average
Class Rank: 1/54
Match/Non-Match: Match, but got an acceptance at a Non-Match program
Externship(s)/where: one ortho, one pedo and one public health
Research: one project
Extracurriculars: held multiple leadership positions at various organizations and a lot of volunteering
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 10/6/6/5 (one was non-match) Nova was my #1 choice :soexcited:

I hate to make an example of this, but I warn ortho applicants every year to rank ALL of your interviews as a bad program is better than NO program. Not only do you have to wait another year and incur the application and travel expenses again, but you just blacklisted yourself from those programs that you interviewed at but did not rank (in essence, you reduced your chances of getting in altogether). Spread the word and tell everyone to rank each one of your interviewed programs.
I hate to disagree, but I am going to have to.
When applying to schools, you do not know a lot of the information about programs until you actually interview there. Getting an interview somewhere and attending allows you to assess not only the program, but the residents you will be working with for the next 2-3 years (both applicants and current residents).
The one thing that an applicant has control of is whether or not to rank a school.
Can your husband relocate from his job once you match to a city in the middle of no where?
Would you get along with the residents that are currently there?
I did not rank a school that included a multitude of factors but the one that stuck out the most was that a big majority of interviewees at the school had only 1 interview, and it happened to be their home school. What does that tell you about the applicants or even more importantly the school and program? Obviously these applicants aren't going to be posting on here.
You know where you stand when you get to an interview, and this will help you assess whether this program is worth ranking. If you are a good applicant, you can and will match at one of your top choices. If you are not, then researching which schools will take you.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 20/1/1/1 (obviously it was your number one choice).
If you are an applicant that does not match you need to do some research into the schools that will likely take you. Some schools only like students straight out because the schools feel they have the program and resources to train these students well and accepting experienced dentists only lead to a burden who are more difficult to train because they have been out of school for some time.
This is the flip-side to what has been said. It needs to be considered.

I hate to disagree, but I am going to have to.
When applying to schools, you do not know a lot of the information about programs until you actually interview there. Getting an interview somewhere and attending allows you to assess not only the program, but the residents you will be working with for the next 2-3 years (both applicants and current residents).
The one thing that an applicant has control of is whether or not to rank a school.
Can your husband relocate from his job once you match to a city in the middle of no where?
Would you get along with the residents that are currently there?
I did not rank a school that included a multitude of factors but the one that stuck out the most was that a big majority of interviewees at the school had only 1 interview, and it happened to be their home school. What does that tell you about the applicants or even more importantly the school and program? Obviously these applicants aren't going to be posting on here.
You know where you stand when you get to an interview, and this will help you assess whether this program is worth ranking. If you are a good applicant, you can and will match at one of your top choices. If you are not, then researching which schools will take you.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 20/1/1/1 (obviously it was your number one choice).
If you are an applicant that does not match you need to do some research into the schools that will likely take you. Some schools only like students straight out because the schools feel they have the program and resources to train these students well and accepting experienced dentists only lead to a burden who are more difficult to train because they have been out of school for some time.
This is the flip-side to what has been said. It needs to be considered.

You make great points for someone who matches. Have you ever experienced being a "good applicant" and not matching? Though I don't know if the #1/98 boards/10 interviews/no match candidates exist anymore with Pedo being the new Ortho, not that I would wish that upon anyone.

I am writing a response to you not to discount your experience, but because many students read these boards and should have a chance to hear both sides.

Can your husband relocate? I survived 3 years away from a significant other, though you can discount my experience because I was not married at the time. A co-resident was married and also survived 3 years of being married and had to always fly 6 hours with a connection to go home. Residency is a very short temporary time if marriage is supposed to be a lifetime. I met residents at other schools too who had spouses and kids in other states. If you want it badly enough, location is not going to deter you. I understand it can be a real emotional obstacle for some couples and if those people are able to match at a school compatible with their spouse's career path, then they should consider themselves very lucky.

Do the co-residents really matter? Again, residency is temporary. Hopefully you end up with a good group of people. What are you going to do when you get out and get an associate job and you don't like some of the assistants you work with? You are going to be professional, do your job, and go home. Residency with a bunch of people you aren't really friends with is no different. You are there to earn your certificate, get along with your peers, and go home. Bonus points if they become your drinking and triathalon training buddies.

If you attend a program where the majority of applicants have only 1 interview, their home school, that means a few things, none of which point to that it might be a "bad" program just because they don't invite only superstars. It means that program is giving all home applicants a "courtesy interview." It can also mean with all these courtesy interviews, you as a strong candidate from the outside might actually have a better chance of matching there because they may not take many of those applicants seriously. The flip side is it can mean the program already knows who they are planning to rank, and they are just conducting interviews as a formality since positions can't be offered outside of match though the non-match school list someone posted this year is growing incredibly long.

It is a myth to think that experienced dentists are a "burden to train." I think this line of thinking persists because admissions committees are made up of people who have never practiced general dentistry a day in their lives and don't know how much being a dentist can help you be a better orthodontist, if you choose to apply your knowledge wisely. Having done both, I don't see what is so special that a general dentist would be "untrainable." If we don't accept GPs who are genuinely interested and applying and have the stats to back up their application, well the flip side is they will take weekend courses and still do braces and Invisalign for patients, just without the fancy university certificate. And remember, when you get out, it is the General Dentist's door you will be knocking on for referrals so having some experience as one wouldn't be a bad thing.

I have worked with doctors who are clinically not good orthodontists. However, if you met them, they have great personalities and are the life of the party, and these are the people most likely to match on their first shot and they did which is why they are orthodontists. Popular personality has nothing to do with if you are a good orthodontist.

Name of School: University of Oklahoma
Dental School Attended:
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: none
NBDE Part I/II scores: pass / pass
GRE Score: 155 Verbal, 162 Math, 4.0
Class Rank: 1/58
Externship(s)/where: no (I don't think these are necessary, a bit over the top IMO)
Research: Several poster presentations over orthodontic related research
Extracurriculars: a few clubs, sports
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 20/ 15/ 8 / 8

A few comments to help future applicants: When I first became interested in ortho, I viewed it as an insiders only club full of legacies and geniuses. What I found was that while those people exist everywhere, ortho is open to anyone willing to put in the work. I promise that if you try your hardest in school, things will work out. A lot of the stats you see on here are of people ranked #1, myself included, but don't think that you have to be #1 to have a chance. Obviously try hard in school but make sure you are well-rounded. Someone earlier mentioned how the interview day was extremely important and I couldn't agree more. I thought that they would ask me tons of questions about my application but found them to only be interested in my personality and if I could be the type of resident they were looking for. So, try hard in school to get the interviews and once you are there just be yourself. While in school try to become as involved orthodontically as you can. Doing this really helped solidify my reasons for going into ortho. Hopefully this was of some help and best of luck to all future applicants.

Oh, and please…..PLEASE…..please rank all the programs you interview at. If you would rather not be in a residency than be at a program you don't like then this is not the profession for you. For how badly I wanted to do ortho, I would have gone to a program in Antarctica if that was my only choice.

Easy answer for this one. If your spouse cannot relocate, then don't apply to that program in the first place! Ortho programs get plenty of donations from alumni and parents of wannabe ortho residents already, why add to it? Advice for future applicants: ortho program interviewers will ask you how many and the names of other programs that you are applying to. If you make sound like you are only applying to a few or could only stay in a certain area, then they may look down on you because you aren't taking the admissions process seriously enough or you are choosing location over education. A great school could be located in the middle of no where!

Name of School: private dental school (match program)
Dental School Attended: public dental school
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: n/a
NBDE Part I/II scores: pass/pass
GRE Score: 160 math, 168 verbal, 5.0 writing
Class Rank: 15/82
Match/Non-Match: match
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: small amount in undergrad, no published papers; none in dental school
Extracurriculars: a bunch of stuff, similar to all other applicants I'm sure
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 32/12/9/7

I just wanted to put my stats on here so that people with lower class ranks wouldn't be discouraged -- I know I spent countless hours reading the posts on this site and thinking I had no chance because I wasn't very high in the class. I received far more interview invitations than I expected to receive, one offer of admission from a non-match school (that I turned down, after a lot of thought), and I eventually matched at my second choice. I guess my point is just don't be intimidated by the numbers -- I know several people who were only in the top 20% of their classes, not the top 10%, that still ended up with residencies.

*Cue current orthodontists responding about how in their day, you HAD to be first in your class...*

Easy answer for this one. If your spouse cannot relocate, then don't apply to that program in the first place! Ortho programs get plenty of donations from alumni and parents of wannabe ortho residents already, why add to it? Advice for future applicants: ortho program interviewers will ask you how many and the names of other programs that you are applying to. If you make sound like you are only applying to a few or could only stay in a certain area, then they may look down on you because you aren't taking the admissions process seriously enough or you are choosing location over education. A great school could be located in the middle of no where!

"The best program is the one that takes you."

But seriously, ortho is only a couple of years. Just go anywhere. It's not like you are going to be a surgery resident sleeping 4 hours per night and working constantly. This is orthodontics, for chrissakes. Go to the cheapest program possible. When you are done, move back to where you want to be and practice.

good luck.

*Cue current orthodontists responding about how in their day, you HAD to be first in your class...*

And you had to have a 90+ on your boards. 95+ preferred.

And you actually had to bend wire. I met residents last year who were aghast that I was bending wire to make a lip bumper. I was aghast that they were about to become my colleagues.

And you had to have a 90+ on your boards. 95+ preferred.

And you actually had to bend wire. I met residents last year who were aghast that I was bending wire to make a lip bumper. I was aghast that they were about to become my colleagues.

Maybe it is because current students are achieving higher GPA's. For example, I heard of one case where a current student who is currently rank 67 had the same GPA as an orthodontist who graduated a couple years earlier but she was rank 12 when she applied. Also, they both went to the same school. Furthermore, average GPA's and DAT dental school acceptance rates are increasing every single year. So, maybe it is harder to obtain a better rank because the students are more intelligent and thus competition to get into the top 10 is more difficult. It is possible that today's top 20 is the same as the past's top 10 if you are strictly comparing GPAs. Of course this is all just speculation. Just trying to give some reasons why people not in the top 10 are being admitted currently.

Is a score in the 150-155 range on the GREs satisfactory for acceptance? (~50th Percentile)
Or do I need a higher score?
Thank you!

Maybe it is because current students are achieving higher GPA's. For example, I heard of one case where a current student who is currently rank 67 had the same GPA as an orthodontist who graduated a couple years earlier but she was rank 12 when she applied. Also, they both went to the same school. Furthermore, average GPA's and DAT dental school acceptance rates are increasing every single year. So, maybe it is harder to obtain a better rank because the students are more intelligent and thus competition to get into the top 10 is more difficult. It is possible that today's top 20 is the same as the past's top 10 if you are strictly comparing GPAs. Of course this is all just speculation. Just trying to give some reasons why people not in the top 10 are being admitted currently.

Maybe. When I was a pre-dent, I was pushed by anyone and everyone to go to med school because that was where the high achievers went. Dental school is much more sought after these days by high achievers. There were people in my class who got in with 14s on certain sections of the DAT. I'm sure that is unheard of now.

Maybe. When I was a pre-dent, I was pushed by anyone and everyone to go to med school because that was where the high achievers went. Dental school is much more sought after these days by high achievers. There were people in my class who got in with 14s on certain sections of the DAT. I'm sure that is unheard of now.

Gryff,
What year did you graduate from Buffalo?

Gryff,
What year did you graduate from Buffalo?
A relatively long time ago. When I was in college in the late 90s, medical school was all the rage as the place for the smart science kids to go. Dental school was still quite looked down upon at that time, IMO.

Last edited:
A relatively long time ago, 2004. When I was in college in the late 90s, medical school was all the rage as the place for the smart science kids to go. Dental school was still quite looked down upon at that time, IMO.

Yeah I agree. Dental school became popular/competitive around ~2007.