Official 2014 COMLEX 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YANKEES88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen one posted yet so I figured I'd get one started.
Feel free to share your experiences, study plans, thoughts, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a 3rd year student but have not taken the step 1 yet. My COMSAE scores were decent but I wanted to take more time so that I will do better on the step 1. Do you think COMLEX usually repeats questions? I have been told what were high yield topics/ questions and I have been studying those topics every day. I also wanted to know if it is doable to study for Step 1 while doing family rotation during 3rd year? Any advise? Thanks.

It only makes sense to take a year off (or half a year if your school permits) to study (a handful of people in our class do that) - I doubt you will have a lot of time to study in conjunction with doing rotations. It could actually hurt your performance on both Step1 and 2/ shelf exams and most importantly, faculty evaluations..... I know of a few upperclassmen suffered quite a bit in their evaluations because they were too busy studying for Step1 that they failed to meet duties as OMS3... I have been told by most upperclassmen that the 3rd year is supposed to be the MOST challenging year in medical school because you have to know the books plus you have to apply those knowledge into practice, not to forget you're dealing with various people from different levels everyday... During the first and second years, you can opt out from going to classes and you can cram a few nights before the exam... and there is only one exam at the end of each block. But, 3rd year is a different game - you have a pop quiz everyday.

Can anyone be kind enough to comment on the length of question stems for comlex compared to usmle? I found usmle stems pretty long and only had 1-2 minutes to spare for each block. Is comlex more demanding in regards to timing since there are 4 more questions per block? I'll be writing the comlex in a few days and wanted to know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but my school offers me the Kaplan COMLEX 1 Q-bank. I will be taking both USMLE and COMLEX, does anyone know if it is worth also buying the Kaplan USMLE q bank? Thanks!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but my school offers me the Kaplan COMLEX 1 Q-bank. I will be taking both USMLE and COMLEX, does anyone know if it is worth also buying the Kaplan USMLE q bank? Thanks!

imo, COMBANK or COMQUEST over Kaplan for COMLEX, and UWorld for USMLE.

Thanks for the response. I guess my question is: as a secondary Q-bank to U-World, is it worth purchasing the USMLE version of the Kaplan bank to the COMLEX (which I already was given). My primary focus is to study for the USMLE which seems to translate well with COMLEX. I'm assuming the questions for the USMLE and COMLEX versions of the Kaplan bank are different, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

Thanks for the response. I guess my question is: as a secondary Q-bank to U-World, is it worth purchasing the USMLE version of the Kaplan bank to the COMLEX (which I already was given). My primary focus is to study for the USMLE which seems to translate well with COMLEX. I'm assuming the questions for the USMLE and COMLEX versions of the Kaplan bank are different, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

My school provided us with both Kaplan banks and I believe that the USMLE one is a nice secondary option to UWorld. It was more challenging than the COMLEX bank and I would recommend you purchase it if you have the money. It is not absolutely necessary, but the more questions you do the better your score will most likely be.

I also must second NeuroLAX and say that although your focus is the USMLE exam, since you are taking COMLEX I would strongly recommend completing one, if not both, of the COMLEX banks (Comquest or Combank). From a pure knowledge standpoint, if you can score high on the USMLE you know what you need to know in order to score in the 600s/700s on COMLEX. But the questions on that exam, as wonderfully articulated by previous posters, can be strange. Comquest and Combank give you the closest representation and will help you. You do not want your first experience with COMLEX-style questions to be the actual COMLEX exam. Once you get used to those questions, COMLEX ain't so bad.

Thanks for the responses jcakes and NeuroLAX. When did you guys find the time to fit in the COMLEX bank? Did you try and fit it into your dedicated? Or did you squeeze it in with Savarese in the time between your USMLE and COMLEX? (I figure most people take USMLE before COMLEX)

Thanks for the responses jcakes and NeuroLAX. When did you guys find the time to fit in the COMLEX bank? Did you try and fit it into your dedicated? Or did you squeeze it in with Savarese in the time between your USMLE and COMLEX? (I figure most people take USMLE before COMLEX)
I did 600 comquest questions in literally 2.5 days between usmle and comlex. Once you realize non-omm questions are a waste of time, you move on fairly quickly.

I did 600 comquest questions in literally 2.5 days between usmle and comlex. Once you realize non-omm questions are a waste of time, you move on fairly quickly.

Wow. Impressive. Part of me wonders if I would have done better had I done at least a few blocks of COMLEX questions. I only did one COMSAE.

Wow. Impressive. Part of me wonders if I would have done better had I done at least a few blocks of COMLEX questions. I only did one COMSAE.
I did COMSAE C because it was provided by our school, and frankly I thought it was a waste of time. So many outdated questions. I don't know how it works for step 2 but they won't be getting a dime from me for practice tests. I will try and go in on a qbank with a friend just for the the OMM crap.

However, that said, I can't say the comquest questions helped, other than the cranial crap. We didn't learn it during the year and there were a lot of torsions and axis that I was unfamiliar with.

I did COMSAE C because it was provided by our school, and frankly I thought it was a waste of time. So many outdated questions. I don't know how it works for step 2 but they won't be getting a dime from me for practice tests. I will try and go in on a qbank with a friend just for the the OMM crap.

However, that said, I can't say the comquest questions helped, other than the cranial crap. We didn't learn it during the year and there were a lot of torsions and axis that I was unfamiliar with.

I'm not sure what COMSAEs offer other than exposure. Those were the only COMLEX questions I did and it underpredicted my score on the real thing. My OMM professor is pretty awesome, despite my beliefs on certain things. He gives us OMM reviews for boards and they're always really high yield.

I must say I'm a little jealous you didn't have to learn cranial during the year. I still don't remember that crap and luckily I only had a few cranial questions... thank God.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what COMSAEs offer other than exposure. Those were the only COMLEX questions I did and it underpredicted my score on the real thing. My OMM professor is pretty awesome, despite my beliefs on certain things. He gives us OMM reviews for boards and they're always really high yield.

I must say I'm a little jealous you didn't have to learn cranial during the year. I still don't remember that crap and luckily I only had a few cranial questions... thank God.
We had 3 or 4 lectures, "INTRO TO CRANIAL". Basically lay down for 10 hours and practice the vault hold. They tried to sell us their 40 hour intro to cranial course on weekends, for like $150 or something, from an world renowned professor of cranial osteopathy. No thanks. I pay tuition to learn stuff with no experimental evidence and you want to charge me more for "extra" techniques with even less experimental evidence.

/bitterness off

Reactions: 2 users
We had 3 or 4 lectures, "INTRO TO CRANIAL". Basically lay down for 10 hours and practice the vault hold. They tried to sell us their 40 hour intro to cranial course on weekends, for like $150 or something, from an world renowned professor of cranial osteopathy. No thanks. I pay tuition to learn stuff with no experimental evidence and you want to charge me more for "extra" techniques with even less experimental evidence.

/bitterness off

Hah. At least it's optional. Oh well, we conquered the COMLEX and don't have to see that crap for another year. Let us enjoy this vacation. Cheers!

Reactions: 1 users
568... Not bad, I'll take it. It's funny, pathology, which was one of my highest on USMLE, was one of my lowest on COMLEX. I guess I lost a lot in that week in between!

Did you take the USMLE? The conversion formula translates a 630 to around a 219 which is not at all accurate IMO. Scored over 240 on usmle with a 630 comlex.

Congrats on your score. No, I didn't the USMLE. I just didn't feel prepared for biochem. I was wondering if I should still take it to keep my options open but there are IM ACGME residencies that accept a COMLEX score. I am not sure whether in reality they actually consider COMLEX scores at par with USMLE scores. Also, would not having a USMLE step 2/3 score work against me later on when I want to apply for fellowship? I just don't see how I can make time to study for USMLE step 1 with clinicals =\

Did you take the USMLE? The conversion formula translates a 630 to around a 219 which is not at all accurate IMO. Scored over 240 on usmle with a 630 comlex.
I'm surprised that a 630 gets converted to such a low USMLE score. One of the MD students told me the average on the USMLE is 225. I am pretty sure a 630 on step 1 is well above average for the AOA world.

It is a crap formula that does a fair job holding up for COMLEX scores in the low 500's but a terrible job for those of us who prepared for USMLE and took COMLEX because we had to. It sucks that some programs out there may use that formula, but remember that ACGME residencies don't give a hoot what your COMLEX was if you have a strong Step 1 score.

No way thats right. That journal has an impact factor of 0, trust nothing you read, question everything. Plus there are numerous publications in journals w/ an impact factor that suggest lack of interchangeability between the two exams.

Conceptionally:
Average usmle this year was like 228 with SD of 20ish
Average comlex is around 500 with SD of like 70 or 80. So a score of 630 is almost 2 SD above the mean, whereas a 219 is less than the mean on the USMLE. 630 is a very good score and will be good enough for a good ACGME IM program. You may not get looks at top programs due to comlex bias, but a 630 will not preclude you from matching.

It is a crap formula that does a fair job holding up for COMLEX scores in the low 500's but a terrible job for those of us who prepared for USMLE and took COMLEX because we had to. It sucks that some programs out there may use that formula, but remember that ACGME residencies don't give a hoot what your COMLEX was if you have a strong Step 1 score.
I just calculated mine and it underpredicted my USMLE by 15 points which is kind of a lot

Mid July Test Date.
COMSAE D 750+ midway through Uworld.
Uworld cumulative 78% timed random.
For reference USMLE 260+
Real COMLEX 800+

Prep: Did not study for boards during 2nd year at all, but did very well in classes. 6wks of dedicated prep. FA 2.5x, Pathoma 2x, Uworld timed random once all the way through at 2 blocks a day (made sure I memorized each and every explanation and read corresponding FA section). No other Q banks. Crammed Savarese in 2 days between USMLE and COMLEX (this book is MONEY, but you need review your chapman points).

Test day: Almost had a panic attac during first 2 blocks but calmed down. Compared to USMLE COMLEX is very straight forward, know it or you don't type of questions. Had quite a few bioterrorism questions, know your OMM cause that is just easy easy points. OMM was very straight forward, very few treatment positions but had quite a few chapman points which I heard was very dependent on the test you get (some had none). Obviously had quite a few WTF questions but there's that on USMLE and COMLEX and you can't prep for those.

Good luck to you all! Happy to answer questions.

I did the comlex qbanks during dedicated time (~8wks, which was too long). I began Kaplan qbanks in November and Uworld in January. Finished both by the end of May, when the dedicated time started. In the dedicated period I would do 200 comlex bank questions in the morning and my incorrect Uworld questions in the afternoon. But my dedicated was different then most people since I really didnt use any books (FA, Pathoma, etc) and did only questions.

Take all of our advice, mix it up with how you learn best, work your butt off and I'm sure you'll do well.

So I have COMLEX in a couple days...just wondering what I should do from here, just took USMLE a little while ago

My original plan was focus on USMLE and then cram OMM in between but my COMSAE scores have been worrying me a lot

Before any prep, took COMSAE D and got a 480
I took COMSAE A about a month ago and got a 450, was depressed after this because how could I go down after starting board studying, but I think it mostly came down to I started the test late at 8 PM and just didn't take it seriously, was super burnt out from UWorld

At this point I've finished reading Savarese, is it worth it to take another COMSAE inbetween? I'm having massive anxiety about even passing COMLEX, but at the same time I'm too scared to take a COMSAE and do poorly which I know would ruin my confidence before COMLEX

I started COMBANK yesterday and the first two blocks I got a 84% then a 74%, not sure how helpful it is because it's either do I know or not, and quite frankly it stresses me out a little because theoretically I should know have a solid understanding and there are still things I don't know/remember. At this point I wonder if it might be more helpful to just read FA and continue to review OMM

My other "prep stats"
UWorld: 65% but towards the end started getting 70%ish
NBME 11, 13, 16 = 230, 228, 222

I feel beaten down and need a solid game plan, any advice?

I wouldn't worry about it. I took COMSAE A and B 1-2 weeks before my COMLEX, and I was stuck at 500. My COMBANK was around 75% untimed random. I ended up getting ~550 on the COMLEX. I'm not sure what your goal is, but the COMSAEs usually underpredict your COMLEX score by a bit.

Anyone take the COMLEX I recently (within the past 2 months)? Repeat taker here. Just wondering if it's still very OMM, Micro, and Neuro heavy for my upcoming test.

Retook 11/24. My retake was very heavy on Repro, Micro and OMM. OMM was straightforward with the majority of the questions being viscerosomatics. I did the questions at the end of Saverese and was felt it was more than sufficient. Surprisingly, very little neuro on my test date, a few hematoma questions with images and 2-3 cranial nerve lesion questions.

Anyone take the COMLEX I recently (within the past 2 months)? Repeat taker here. Just wondering if it's still very OMM, Micro, and Neuro heavy for my upcoming test.

Retook 11/24. My retake was very heavy on Repro, Micro and OMM. OMM was straightforward with the majority of the questions being viscerosomatics. I did the questions at the end of Saverese and was felt it was more than sufficient. Surprisingly, very little neuro on my test date, a few hematoma questions with images and 2-3 cranial nerve lesion questions.

Thanks for the info. Seems like they really seem to like Micro no matter what. OMM you know will always be ~20% of the test, which in theory should be easy points. Seems like the major 3rd part may be variable from one to the next. Good luck to any other re-takers out there!

One of my fellow yield extractors finished the comlex 3 hours early. We were the most elite yield extraction team in the country. #700clubeasy. You wanna take a real test, get on that usmle