Official 2014 COMLEX 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YANKEES88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen one posted yet so I figured I'd get one started.
Feel free to share your experiences, study plans, thoughts, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First, I want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed so much helpful info on experiences with studying, COMSAE and COMLEX! And good luck to all of those who find out today!

NeuroSpeed - thanks for your post today after your long exam! In terms of facilitation - were the segment ranges a little different from Saverese? I've heard other people say they weren't as straightforward as expected, so do you suggest using a different source just for the facilitation segments?

Also, when you say micro was straightforward for you, does that mean first aid was sufficient?

Thanks again for the awesome feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone who finished the COMLEX! What a crazy random test. For those of you who got your scores back, can you comment on how your combank average compared to what you got on the test? I've got a few weeks til my score is released and feel like I'm in limbo with how the test went last week. Thanks!

First, I want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed so much helpful info on experiences with studying, COMSAE and COMLEX! And good luck to all of those who find out today!

NeuroSpeed - thanks for your post today after your long exam! In terms of facilitation - were the segment ranges a little different from Saverese? I've heard other people say they weren't as straightforward as expected, so do you suggest using a different source just for the facilitation segments?

Also, when you say micro was straightforward for you, does that mean first aid was sufficient?

Thanks again for the awesome feedback!
Yes, I don't think the ranges were exactly the same as Savarese. It's probably still fine to use Savarese, just be prepared to adapt it a bit.

My school's micro department is quite good, so I might have relied on that a bit more than FA. I think FA was probably enough, but there were some rarer bugs/conditions that I don't know if I would have payed attention to in FA if it wasn't for my school's curriculum.

From my performance profile:

combine_images.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Took the comlex first week in June. Scores just went up. I used DIT, First Aid, Some Pathoma (Renal/Repro), and did UWORLD 2x and Combank 2x. Comsae A (before studying) ~470, Comsae C ~500 Comsae B~570. Finished DIT 2-3 weeks before my exam date, went thru FA 2 X and continued to do Qbank questions after DIT. Score >620

How did it go, kirby? Did the USMLE prep translate well ultimately?

I'll have to wait for my USMLE score, but yeah I didn't study for the COMLEX except for USMLE prep + Savarese + OMM Cards app. I don't think I would have done it any other way, except muster up more motivation to study between the USMLE and COMLEX haha.

I got a 709. COMSAE C (only COMSAE taken) predicted 680.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll have to wait for my USMLE score, but yeah I didn't study for the COMLEX except for USMLE prep + Savarese + OMM Cards app. I don't think I would have done it any other way, except muster up more motivation to study between the USMLE and COMLEX haha.

Congrats, man.

Yeah, based on your previous posts we have had quite similar preps. I am between USMLE and COMLEX right now, and I am only planning on refreshing OMM prior to COMLEX. I have been hearing from friends though that its worth it to review some anatomy though, especially muscle innervations. Worth it or stick to OMM and say **** it to all the obscure anatomy?

Congrats, man.

Yeah, based on your previous posts we have had quite similar preps. I am between USMLE and COMLEX right now, and I am only planning on refreshing OMM prior to COMLEX. I have been hearing from friends though that its worth it to review some anatomy though, especially muscle innervations. Worth it or stick to OMM and say **** it to all the obscure anatomy?
Worth it as far as my test today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, man.

Thanks! If you can stomach it, sure. I'd prioritize OMM though. In just the couple days you have, chances are what you review extra won't be tested on.

I didn't review a single non-OMM thing between my tests and I felt it made almost zero difference compared to if I did. Mostly because there's no way you can "freshen up" on the absurd amount of testable info.

Damn~ Kirbymiester, you owned it.

I got 612.
I did not use Savarese, OMM cards, did not even do OMM questions on combank that I had. Only did repro on combank btw USMLE and COMLEX.
I got lazy between USMLE and COMLEX which was 3 days apart. I got hurt on that? not sure.

but now I am worried about my usmle.

meanwhile my NBME's were ok ~~or target range towards the end ( NBME15 = 251, UWSA2= 261)...I guess...I wont be surprised with 230's....with current comlex score. haha
(My target is 240)

Jealous!!! I was hoping 650+....did not happen
Congrats man~~

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I couldn't be happier. I had a previous post with my experience but official score is in the 690s. My experience similar to kirby

Reactions: 1 users

I plan on doing a full writeup later as I'm still waiting on my USMLE score and mainly studied for that exam.

For COMLEX:

I used COMQUEST (1x over 2d + incorrects in between the USMLE and COMLEX). Only touched the ~100 OMM questions during the 2-3d I had between exams. My OMM review was half-hearted and I did not open up Savarese, though I used it for school exams during the spring. I did not focus on my COMQUEST average (which I think was ~80%) and only read the incorrect explanations. The quality of explanations in the UWorld was far superior to COMQUEST.

The only other predictor I had was COMSAE D, where I ended up with a 600+.

Edit: Just remembered-be sure to get that Chapman's Point app ($2 for the iPhone) or find a good source for them. That app has both Chapman's and Viscerosomatics, some of which my school didn't even cover but were on my exam.

Last edited:
Just took it. Don't want to jinx myself, but that was NOT a super difficult exam. I mean, it was written like crap at times, and there were a few so-called low-yield topics they like to repeat for some reason. I finished without feeling beaten up or tired or even aggravated for that matter (and that's unexpected). Sitting down to study for the USMLE right now in fact.

Anyhow, besides knowing your facilitation levels/innervations, I'm not sure there is a "high yield" approach to this exam. I wouldn't go crazy studying Savarese if you did ok in OPP class/lab. COMLEX is kind of random. Loaded with one-liners and auto clicks at some points followed by long stretches of the WTFness and "what-are-you-getting-ats?" . Sort of a cheesy and somewhat laughable exam IMO (with an interface that my original NES could outdo). They need to kick this thing to the curb and make everyone take the USMLE. The powers that be should be embarrassed of it IMO. Glad I'm sitting for the USMLE in a few days.

I will agree with this myself. I wrote my exam yesterday. I prepared for both USMLE and COMLEX and I felt like for the most part, 98% of the exam was stuff I was I recognized at a minimum, with a few WTF's thrown in there. Overall I felt it was pretty "fair" minus the fact that it obvi isn't very comprehensive of our total medical knowledge.

After reading and talking to all my friends prior to the exam, I will say that the exam did reflect the MSK, NEURO, MICRO heaviness, and prob REPRO if I had to pick a 4th. For anyone who hasn't taken it yet, MICRO esp is a topic where you can get easy points. There really isn't any trickery that can go on if you know the characteristics and algorithms. I hardly got any viral questions too. Also, MOST of the questions, you can narrow down the answer choices to 2 if you don't know for sure.

For OMM, I also agree with Dharma. You should DEF expect a lot of viscerosomatics, but don't bank on that being the only thing tested. One of my friends literally only had viscersomatics, but I had like 50% VS and 50% cranial, sacral, muscle energy, and chapman points. I wasn't an A + student in OMM, but I felt like I knew 90-95% of the OMM questions. AND if I didn't, it was fairly easy to narrow it down to two at least (which goes the same for the other sections as well).

Little bit of an update. I finished combank with 85%, did NBME 16 and got 245 and took the USMLE last week. Thought it was ridiculously hard. I'm taking the COMLEX on Wednesday. I did COMSAE B a couple of weeks ago and got 730. I also did COMSAE C earlier today and got 725. I'm ecstatic with the COMSAE scores and I hope they aren't overpredicting my grade.
Hey guys, I got my score back yesterday. Ended up with 750+!! All 3 comsae exams under predicted me

Anyone know what the chapman point for asthma might be? Is it upper lung?

Congrats, man.

I also agree it's worth it. Just know the major innervations for the UE/LE, dermatomes, and major muscle actions. That's sufficient. Oh, and the damn piriformis, knowing that cold would have netted you 5 or 6 questions on my exam.

Waiting for USMLE still as most are. I didnt use any of the COMLEX question banks, only U world & RX. Crammed OMM for 3 days. Score 758 two digit 99. Unfortunatey I dont feel my USMLE will be an equivalent score.

Waiting for USMLE still as most are. I didnt use any of the COMLEX question banks, only U world & RX. Crammed OMM for 3 days. Score 758 two digit 99. Unfortunatey I dont feel my USMLE will be an equivalent score.
Yup, I feel the same way about the USMLE. I wonder what a correlation would be between getting 750+ on COMLEX and a USMLE score- maybe like 260? That's probably just wishful thinking though. :/

Yup, I feel the same way about the USMLE. I wonder what a correlation would be between getting 750+ on COMLEX and a USMLE score- maybe like 260? That's probably just wishful thinking though. :/

I dont think you can correlate these two exams. They are way to different IMO. The biggest and most important difference being time. If I had the extra time to think out questions on my USMLE like I did on the COMLEX I for sure would have caught some of the stupid mistakes I already know I made on USMLE. Also COMLEX barely dives into the pathophysio of anything and tested concepts in ways that we all have seen but USMLE does their homework and changes the game up very nicely.

Balling score! Well done.

just got my score back 650+, really happy with it considering I walked out of that exam thinking I might have failed it. Does anyone know what the percentile score and the 2 digit score stand for or mean?

650=94th percentile? what does that mean

For those who've taken it already, would it be wise to look over the appendices in Savarese? I'm taking it tomorrow.

Take many. You earned it man. I took many drinks after mine, and I'll let you know, once I took my pants off, the drinks just got better.

I'll need quite a few to forget how terribly written some of those questions and answer choices were. Good grief.

After taking it, I gotta say, this exam is very manageable. Especially compared to the beast that is USMLE.

Good luck to everyone! Now comes the waiting.

13 days out from my comlex. Batting ~63% on combank and 70 on COMQUEST. Bank is lower due to the early tests I took killing the average. 75 on recent tests. What is a good average for a 550?

13 days out from my comlex. Batting ~63% on combank and 70 on COMQUEST. Bank is lower due to the early tests I took killing the average. 75 on recent tests. What is a good average for a 550?

If you'e at a 75%, I'd bet it's 575+ or maybe even 600+ depending on how your prep has gone.

Since i am not getting a response elsewhere can someone give me ballpark AVERAGES for all of the specialties? (Do not say avg for ortho is 625+ bc the published ortho avg two years ago was 574). I am trying to realistically figure out what I am competitive for

so is there no highlight feature on the real exam? also, are posterior chapmans points fair game? congrats to everyone who's done! next week cant some any sooner.. i just want to be doooone

so is there no highlight feature on the real exam? also, are posterior chapmans points fair game? congrats to everyone who's done! next week cant some any sooner.. i just want to be doooone

Posterior points are fair game.

There are a couple videos on YouTube for viscerosomatics and chapman points. Watch them, write them down, and memorize the hell out of them.

I'll need quite a few to forget how terribly written some of those questions and answer choices were. Good grief.

I agree. I actually ran out of time on every block. On the USMLE, I was able to go through every flagged question (even though I was pressed for time). On COMLEX, I was lucky to get through 5-8 flagged questions because I spent so much time trying to decipher what was being asked. It was ambiguous, and really left me feeling awful afterwards.

Also, the interface is ridiculous. Select text and then check a box to highlight it? How is that acceptable?

I agree. I actually ran out of time on every block. On the USMLE, I was able to go through every flagged question (even though I was pressed for time). On COMLEX, I was lucky to get through 5-8 flagged questions because I spent so much time trying to decipher what was being asked. It was ambiguous, and really left me feeling awful afterwards.

Also, the interface is ridiculous. Select text and then check a box to highlight it? How is that acceptable?

Sorry to hear that. I took advantage of the no time limit per section and it ended up working out fine. I flagged like 3-10 per section and figured I would go through each one, and luckily I was able to without feeling too rushed on the next section. Some sections took me 40 minutes, while others took a little longer. I still had plenty of time at the end of the afternoon block when I finished, but at that point I was the only person left at the center and the guy was starting to clean the room. I just wanted to gtfo of there, so I got through the flagged ones and left.

The interface definitely needs some work. The lab values pop-up was functional but I spent too much time, IMO, fiddling with the size to see the question/answers and scroll through the table. Maybe it's my fault for not paying attention to the tutorial. I didn't end up using the other features. I was too busy pouring out viscerosomatics and chapman points onto the papers they give you.

Any word on how long it has been taking for the scores to be released?

Can you start writing things down on the paper they give you during the tutorial? I thought I read someone say they had to wait until the actual test started? Thanks! And ^^^ about the score release, a friend of my just got hers back in the last batch and it was right at 4 weeks!

I know you say that it was very hard to decipher what was being asked, but did you do COMBANK/COMQUEST or purely focus on UWorld? I'm curious as to whether doing the COMLEX question banks will further prepare you for the question style that the actual COMLEX throws at you. BTW, I hate the interface too, but I guess I'm used to it now after using the COMBANK, but I actually now avoid highlighting because it's more of a hassle and takes away from your usual test-taking rhythm.

@D0cHopeful

I did COMQUEST only and focused on UWorld. I think that COMQUEST does a fairly adequate job of preparing you for the question-style, but the more that the exam tries to move towards creating difficult questions/changing the writing style to move away from buzzwords, the more confusing and convoluted the stems become. Students have become too good at these exams--if you type in your score for previous testing sessions you'll see that the average is consistently increasing.

@NeuroLAX

I laughed when I read that the guy was cleaning the room. That must have been a bummer.