Official 2013 Post-Interview Communication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to include this post-card in my original post. My post-card was pretty generic and short from the senior resident that planned our dinner (to my knowledge). I was wondering if anyone heard anything post-interview from Metro or Beaman?

Got a phone call from Pitt a while back

Actually I think it will be my #3. lol. I am not too sold on the multiple clinical sites and all the hassles that will bring.

Not to say that I wouldn't be happy to match there or that it isn't a great program, because it most definitely is.

thats how I felt about Pitt. its a good progam but not good enough to deal with all of their clinical sights when you compare is to some other programs that dont have that everyday hastle.

Members don't see this ad :)
nah, nothing from emory (aside from a polite reply that didn't give anything away a long time ago to TY e-mail)

Anyone hear anything from Hopkins besides the invitation to do a second look? Did they mention anything about your candidacy for the program?

Also wondering if anyone has heard anything from MGH or BIDMC.

Anyone hear anything from Hopkins besides the invitation to do a second look? Did they mention anything about your candidacy for the program?

Also wondering if anyone has heard anything from MGH or BIDMC.

i received a handwritten note from MGH postmarked the day of my interview as well as personal email responses to my thank you emails. during my interview with the pd at bi he told me not to write them thank you notes and informed me that they wouldn't be sending any unsolicited post-interview communication, so unless you sent an email and got a response because they're nice people, i wouldn't worry too much if you haven't heard from them.

A very nice reply to a thank you email from NYU. Nothing from Emory.

Anyone get a phone call from MGH? I heard they used to do that. Wondering if they are still?

i heard this too, but haven't heard of anyone who's gotten one this year or last year.

I received the same. They have a great program I hope they didn't send these to everyone.

Awww man. You guys are lucky. Won't get a chance to get my mail for a few days..:I hope I got one

Members don't see this ad :)
One from Maryland saying "they were impressed with my credentials and hope that I rank them highly", also inviting me to a second look. Anyone else ?

One from Maryland saying "they were impressed with my credentials and hope that I rank them highly", also inviting me to a second look. Anyone else ?

Yes. :)

Here's the readers digest version:

Thanks for interviewing with us. We have a great program. You are a great candidate. You should consider our program.

LOL. I've decided to convince myself that my letter is just lost in the mail. Maybe at the end of the day, it doesn't change anything

LOL. I've decided to convince myself that my letter is just lost in the mail. Maybe at the end of the day, it doesn't change anything

My dog ate my mailman so I don't get any letters. :(

Take it with a grain of salt guys...Having gone through the process last year, you never know until match day. Lots of programs will send letters, "personalized" (where you can tell they just put your name it) or actually personalized...but in the end its all about the computers. It may mean they ranked you highly but it still doesn't mean that you will match there. ...So make your match list on what you want, not where you think wants you!

...on that note I know it feels good to get them none the less!

I know for some it does not matter but for me I want to go where I think would be the best fit but also to a program that wants me so to that end:

I would be happy at any of my top 4 but would be nice to know that I am very wanted somewhere :(

Brigham - my friend received an email from the PD (he showed me the email) saying he is absolutely ranked to match. This is my first choice and I got nothing :(

Stanford - my friend (and me) received a phone call from the chair TODAY (both went into voicemail) - my friend's saying he is guaranteed to match there if he ranks them #1. My voicemail on the other hand said it is "highly likely" I will match there if ranked #1

MGH - my friend received an email from the PD last week saying he will definitely match there if he ranks them number one - I did not receive anything from them but they are not in my Top 5 anyway

My friend is a stud, AOA, destroyed the boards, etc...

Has anybody heard from any of the above places or Columbia, UPenn, or Hopkins - which are my #2-4 after Brigham?

I know for some it does not matter but for me I want to go where I think would be the best fit but also to a program that wants me so to that end:

I would be happy at any of my top 4 but would be nice to know that I am very wanted somewhere :(

Brigham - my friend received an email from the PD (he showed me the email) saying he is absolutely ranked to match. This is my first choice and I got nothing :(

Stanford - my friend (and me) received a phone call from the chair TODAY (both went into voicemail) - my friend's saying he is guaranteed to match there if he ranks them #1. My voicemail on the other hand said it is "highly likely" I will match there if ranked #1

MGH - my friend received an email from the PD last week saying he will definitely match there if he ranks them number one - I did not receive anything from them but they are not in my Top 5 anyway

My friend is a stud, AOA, destroyed the boards, etc...

Has anybody heard from any of the above places or Columbia, UPenn, or Hopkins - which are my #2-4 after Brigham?

It doesn't sound like anyone has heard from Hopkins. Some people have gotten emails from the Penn PD. Not sure about Columbia.

Even though you sound somewhat displeased, congrats on getting anything at all from some of the most highly coveted programs!

So on the flip side of things, I've been told it's OK to tell a program you're ranking them first (tell only ONE program this of course). Possible high reward if they liked you, relatively low risk if they ignore it. But I don't know how late in the game this can be done. Anyone know when programs have to submit their list? Is it also the 20th?

So on the flip side of things, I've been told it's OK to tell a program you're ranking them first (tell only ONE program this of course). Possible high reward if they liked you, relatively low risk if they ignore it. But I don't know how late in the game this can be done. Anyone know when programs have to submit their list? Is it also the 20th?

Officially, they have the same deadline, however most programs have their list completed and finalized weeks before then. If you are sending an email, I would send it, at the latest, within a week of their last intervew day in not sooner.

Officially, they have the same deadline, however most programs have their list completed and finalized weeks before then. If you are sending an email, I would send it, at the latest, within a week of their last intervew day in not sooner.

Good to know, thanks!

I feel that getting a phone call from a program says more than a somewhat generic letter with a personal 2-liner scrawled underneath. Even if that phone call is from a chief resident that interviewed you, I think the fact that they took the time to call you and chat you up says more than a potentially mass produced letter. Just my take of course, I could be wrong.

got a personal call from the PD. it feels good, but a bit awkward since it wasnt mutual.

Email from the PD at UCLA --> "...I am very happy to inform you that you are one of our top candidates!"

Does/did everyone get this? Does this mean anything? I have not gotten any of the ones that say that you WILL MATCH?

I will make my rank list for places I want to go based on me but my #3-6 are honestly either way for me - would be happy at any of them. However, it if I am to get one of my third thru sixth choices it would be nice to go to a place that really wants me - is this an okay thought?

Let me know if anyone received a better UCLA email? Good luck to all of you!

e-mail from PD saying "we plan on placing you in one of our top positions on our NRMP rank list." :thumbup:

Email from the PD at UCLA --> "...I am very happy to inform you that you are one of our top candidates!"

Does/did everyone get this? Does this mean anything? I have not gotten any of the ones that say that you WILL MATCH?

I will make my rank list for places I want to go based on me but my #3-6 are honestly either way for me - would be happy at any of them. However, it if I am to get one of my third thru sixth choices it would be nice to go to a place that really wants me - is this an okay thought?

UCLA is 3-6??? o_O

not too shocking

they interview an absurd number, probably lead the pack in number of these types of communication sent out also

on the other hand: they're in cleveland, and there seems to be quite a bit of disagreement on whether this is a great place for residency or more of a great place to be a fellow later on but a place to stay away from for residency (i actually liked it quite well, but plenty of posts to the contrary around here), so good chance people getting this contact could match into their 20 spots if they wanted to

It ain't no lie, bro. They are talking about the top [75%] of the candidates.:smuggrin:

Got the same email a couple days ago. :love: They're my #2.

not too shocking

they interview an absurd number, probably lead the pack in number of these types of communication sent out also

on the other hand: they're in cleveland, and there seems to be quite a bit of disagreement on whether this is a great place for residency or more of a great place to be a fellow later on but a place to stay away from for residency (i actually liked it quite well, but plenty of posts to the contrary around here), so good chance people getting this contact could match into their 20 spots if they wanted to

I liked it a lot too. Very conflicted with what to do, because I'm not a huge fan of Cleveland but I feel like I would get a great experience there, while I like my other top choice cities better but I don't know if the experience would be quite as good. . .

7 more days lol.

anyone got email from CCF today? said plan to put you in top positions ....

Yup got it too. Was clearly generic: (insert name) and (insert institution you're from). No bearing on where I'll be ranking them, though for the record I liked my visit there and I actually did believe the residents there who said the bad things from their past reputation have been fixed.

I got it too
So where exactly is the top? 200/500000 they interview?

i know on my interview day they were quite honest (the chiefs) about the fact that they sort you into quartiles first in the committee meeting

wouldn't be surprised at all if this went out to everyone in the first (or maybe first and second if they're really slimy) quartiles

so yes i'd say 100+