Official 2013 Post-Interview Communication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StumpC28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to make a list of programs who send out post-interview letters and/or calls from PDs, etc... for this application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
got a letter from Mayo and UChicago and email shortly after interview from UPenn .... I wonder if everyone got these ? With how big a grain of salt should you look at post interview communication?

Was the Penn interview from the PD or generic format?

Good luck - thanks!

Anybody hear anything from BIDMC or MGH?

seconding the UChicago snail mail - some nice thoughts from Hernandez

one recent recruitment call as well that i may second if someone else lists the program - not going to be the first to call this program out, for my own dumb reasons

I'm curious as to why anyone cares about this? You rank the programs based on your feeling about them, not the reverse. Sure it might indicate you are higher up on that programs list, but that should have absolutely no impact on your rank list.

I'm curious as to why anyone cares about this? You rank the programs based on your feeling about them, not the reverse. Sure it might indicate you are higher up on that programs list, but that should have absolutely no impact on your rank list.

agreed, i think most people are more interested in getting an idea of whether communication they have received was on the rare/meaningful side or the form-letter/insignificant side of things (though we probably also realize a small sample size doesn't exactly answer this question too well...)

i only slightly disagree with your first comment - this stuff isn't changing ranks much for me of course, but it might switch a 2 v 3 or 4 v 5...a nice letter from a PD or an especially thoughtful response back to a TY note/e-mail can impress me when i find two programs otherwise similar

BWH - letter
MGH - letter
Duke - letter
Columbia - email

Many other programs responded to my thank you notes as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry - edit. Was your email from Columbia from PD?

Last edited:
Majority of the post-interview communication was generic and sent to every applicant who interviewed...or so I believe.

Majority of the post-interview communication was generic and sent to every applicant who interviewed...or so I believe.

i can assure you that not everyone who interviewed at MGH has been contacted by them post-interview :)

I received a number of very specific post interview emails from various programs.

Every one is getting love letters??!?!?
scared_cat.jpg

Mine must have gotten lost in the mail!

Last edited:
Tufts - letter from PD, pretty generic. my friend interviewed there as well and he got the same letter. seems like they send it out to everyone.

1. Really nice personalized letter from UF Gainsville with mention of topics covered during the interviews.

2. Pretty generic looking email from Penn State after the interview

3. Personalized card from the PD at CU in Denver.

4. Short personalized note on postcard from PD at Northwestern post interview

These are in addition to responses I received from the thank you emails that I sent to people post-interview. I assume that these programs do this for most applicants. The letter from UF was definitely the "nicest" of these in terms of making you feel like they really enjoyed your visit and got to know you.

Curious if anyone has received love letters from UPMC, UAB, OHSU, U. Michigan?

I'm curious about the same thing. Those programs you listed are all in my top five. -_-' ... I REALLY hope they send me some type of communication.

1. Really nice personalized letter from UF Gainsville with mention of topics covered during the interviews.

These are in addition to responses I received from the thank you emails that I sent to people post-interview. I assume that these programs do this for most applicants. The letter from UF was definitely the "nicest" of these in terms of making you feel like they really enjoyed your visit and got to know you.

wow, congrats.

if you didn't receive a personalized note is that sort of....it for you? you have to think they sent out enough personalized notes to fill their class....

wow, congrats.

if you didn't receive a personalized note is that sort of....it for you? you have to think they sent out enough personalized notes to fill their class....

I highly doubt that--the time investment alone is likely beyond most PDs, let alone the low return on the investment. Dont let it get to you, rank them as you want them and let things fall where they may.

I highly doubt that--the time investment alone is likely beyond most PDs, let alone the low return on the investment. Dont let it get to you, rank them as you want them and let things fall where they may.

thanks for the pep talk man. when you see one of your fave programs sent out personalized love notes it makes you feel...unloved. clearly i need a little perspective!

Definitely got some snail mail love from UAB. PD had a nice, personalized typed letter with a handwritten note at the bottom.

thanks for the pep talk man. when you see one of your fave programs sent out personalized love notes it makes you feel...unloved. clearly i need a little perspective!

Here, here. Lemme give you a hug.
c480x270_12.jpg

Don't worry dude(tte). We're all gonna match.

I received gifts including a box of omaha steaks and hamburgers, blu ray disc movies, and a gift certificate for a hot air balloon ride.

I received gifts including a box of omaha steaks and hamburgers, blu ray disc movies, and a gift certificate for a hot air balloon ride.

That's it?.........yikes.........

Don't knock Omaha Steaks! I have family members who give a giant package of Omaha stuff to me for Christmas every year, and it is possibly my favorite present.

Guillemot, clearly you are desired greatly. Omaha Steaks = In

;)

That's awesome...I definitely wouldn't mind something like that. I got a nice response from her in regards to my thank you, but no snail mail special love. :cry:

Thanks infexious! I didn't think they meant anything since the only other kid I knew who interviewed there got one. Also, I did interview directly with the PD-- not sure if that has anything to do with it or what. Also-- I think it was my only one.

I'm not killing the game or anything.

some snail mail.

Letter from UChicago - Dr. Hernandez mentioned things we talked about during interview. Appreciated hearing from him. Glad I got something since I thought I bombed that interview ;P.

Postcard from one of the residents at UPMC -- excited about this one! One of my top choices. :)

I just received the same thing from Colorado

Postcard from one of the residents at UPMC -- excited about this one! One of my top choices. :)

i was operating under the assumption that this postcard was probably par for the course at pitt, even though it was a nice touch

anyone who interviewed at pitt not get this shortly afterwards?

Anyone heard from Hopkins? Not a "thanks for coming, you should do a second look" email that they probably send everyone right afterwards, but more like a "you're special and we really want you" sort of thing?

I didn't have top-tier interviews like other posters, but I did get an email from Baystate and snail mail from KUMC as well as as personal email follow-up from my thank you note from UNMC and Vermont that expressed very nice sentiment.

I'm not looking too much into it, because I hear so much of the same from others who interview there. But, for those like me who are not interviewing at Mayos, WashU, Yale, etc, it's nice to know there's communication still ;)

Today, I got a 'thanks for coming to interview with us' letter from one of the prelim programs. Someone had scribbled a note on the bottom of the generic letter. The note was addressed to me. The note writer's handwriting is so awful that the only thing I could make out of it was my own name. The note writer was not the PD, the name is incomprehensible, and I have no recollection of who I interviewed with (wasn't the PD). :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I forgot to include this post-card in my original post. My post-card was pretty generic and short from the senior resident that planned our dinner (to my knowledge). I was wondering if anyone heard anything post-interview from Metro or Beaman?

Sounds like someone is gunning for Pitt