Official 2013 Anesthesiology Match Day Results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Match results can be an indicator of career interests among U.S. medical school seniors. Among the notable
trends this year:
• 3,135 U.S. seniors matched to internal medicine, an increase of 194 over last year.
• 1,837 U.S. seniors matched to pediatrics, an increase of 105 overlast year.
• Family medicine matched 1,355 U.S. seniors, 33 more than last year. More than 95
percent of family medicine positions were filled.
• Emergency medicine programs offered 1,744 positions, 76 more than last year, and filled
all but three of them.
• Anesthesiology programs offered 1,653 positions, 177 more than last year, and filled all
but 62 of them.
• Specialties with at least 50 positions in The Match that filled at least 80 percent of
positions with U.S. seniors were dermatology, emergency medicine, medicine-pediatrics,
neurological surgery, orthopedic surgery, otolaryngology, radiation oncology, general
surgery, and plastic surgery.

How did anesthesiology residencies get the ability to increase spots in the match by more than 10% nationwide in a single year? I was under the impression that getting approval to increase slots from the residency review committee was a big deal?

I'm wondering if they were privately funded by departments and not through CMS. I don't know if there are any restrictions for adding spots as long as a department is able to fund them and they have enough cases available to meet ACGME requirements etc.

Interesting times to be increasing enrollment none the less.

Members don't see this ad.

Because hospitals can fund the spots, not just the federal government. Residents are far cheaper than CRNAs, even if we are only 50% OR. We work more hours for the same base pay, and even despite SICU months, rotations at the VA and such, we actually make money for the hospital!

Just another way to sell out the specialty by flooding the market with more grads each year.

You should never be bummed about successfully matching. Although lots of the people here are reporting success matching into their number one spot, there are several candidates out there who did not match to their number one. So don't feel like you are in the minority just from reading SDN. Furthermore, there are people who did not match at all into anesthesia and are going to face a year of uncertainty and have another difficult go around next year when it comes to matching.

You should look at the match in the following manner:
Wherever you end up is where you were meant to be.

I matched into my #4 spot 6 years ago. I was ecstatic at the time. Didn't regret it at that time, and I don't regret it now. I embrace that I am a graduate of that institution.

Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate it. I am thrilled to have successfully matched and hoping that everything will work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo Clinic Rochester, MN categorical (My Number 1 Choice !!) Congrats to all!

Last edited:
Baylor (Advanced)... #1. So grateful.

Because hospitals can fund the spots, not just the federal government. Residents are far cheaper than CRNAs, even if we are only 50% OR. We work more hours for the same base pay, and even despite SICU months, rotations at the VA and such, we actually make money for the hospital!

This makes one wonder how necessary the CMS funds are to begin with, as surely those extra spots weren't funded by Medicare. I know this is certainly a specialty- and even program-specific question, but it's something that may be looked at more closely in the future.

Originally Posted by doctorcase
I am not actually a med school student--I just spend way too much time lurking on SDN. My husband is going to Iowa, which was our top choice. He's a DO, USMLE scores >250.

Is anyone else headed to Iowa City? I'm so excited!

Congratulations to everyone else today. Also, go hug your spouse/significant other. This is a crazy ride for us, too!

Who is your hubby (use initials). I'll be a CA-3, looking forward to meeting you both at the welcome party down the road!

Grant

Last edited:
I MATCHED AT TULANE!!!!!

UHHHHHHH....

OK WAIT... I MAY BE IN A TIME WARP SINCE I MATCHED IN 1996..
:laugh:

Cut me some slack man... I'm just trying to

RELIVE THE JOY OF MATCH DAY!!!!

Yeah it was a long time ago, but I still remember the

ELATION

I felt.... med school coming to an end, broader experiences on the horizon, branching out....

I'm reading all of your posts and I'm

EXCITED FOR ALL OF YOU AS YOU PROGRESS IN YOUR PATH TO BECOMING

ROKKSTARRS

at whatever it is you aspire to do.

CONGRATS, DUDES/DUDETTES!!!!

I'm very happy for you all.

one thing that might factor in is that some programs used to prematch or reserve spots outside the match for applicants. this year with the 'all in' rule they had to include it into the match if they wanted to keep the # of residents the same. and specialties such as IM, peds, family, ER, etc. that don't have that advanced/categorical option don't have this ability.

if this can account for 10% i'm not sure. but i think it may be a factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
one thing that might factor in is that some programs used to prematch or reserve spots outside the match for applicants. this year with the 'all in' rule they had to include it into the match if they wanted to keep the # of residents the same. and specialties such as IM, peds, family, ER, etc. that don't have that advanced/categorical option don't have this ability.

This ^^^

Matched to my top choice, Baylor Categorical!! I had a lot riding on staying in Houston (wife's job, already own house, many friends) and I couldn't be more excited. I can't wait to meet my new classmates.

Definitely a factor - forgot about that.

Mount Sinai!!!! My number 1! SO HAPPY!

I ended up ranking Mt. Sinai lower based ONLY on location (from CA) but I am so JEALOUS of you having Adam Levine as your PD! He is the best!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!

I did not hear from my program either other than the prelim medicine component. I'm assuming we will hear from them on Monday. Congrats once again to all for a great match!

VCU!!! So happy...it wasn't #1 on my list but i wanted it to be (hubby wanted Texas) and divine intervention happened!!

I've also only heard from my prelim program. I'm not going to sweat it. If I don't hear on Monday, then I'll send an email.

dont sweat it.

my program coordinator told me that apparently they aren't "allowed" to correspond by email to the new future interns until monday.

sounds crazy, but i guess there's new rules in effect that im not privy to.

this sounds most plausible.

dont sweat it.

my program coordinator told me that apparently they aren't "allowed" to correspond by email to the new future interns until monday.

From NRMP:

"At 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 14, all programs will be able to view their
Confidential Roster of Matched Applicants by logging in to the R3 system and
clicking the My Reports tab on the Left Menu Bar. Remember the information is
confidential and must not be shared with the matched applicants until after 1:00
p.m. on Friday, March 15, Match Day."

From NRMP:

"At 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 14, all programs will be able to view their
Confidential Roster of Matched Applicants by logging in to the R3 system and
clicking the My Reports tab on the Left Menu Bar. Remember the information is
confidential and must not be shared with the matched applicants until after 1:00
p.m. on Friday, March 15, Match Day."

That's what some of us thought, because we were excited to see who all matched at our program, but that's what we were told... and it was the end of the day on a Friday and I decided to go home.

dont sweat it.

I find that hard to believe as I have heard from my program as have many of my classmates both in anesthesia and other specialties. That being said, I wouldn't sweat it, the PD's are probably celebrating as much as we are :laugh:

I find that hard to believe as I have heard from my program as have many of my classmates both in anesthesia and other specialties. That being said, I wouldn't sweat it, the PD's are probably celebrating as much as we are :laugh:

look.

dont shoot the messenger. i thought it was crazy talk anyways. it wasn't that long ago since i'd matched and i heard from the same coordinator the same day - and with the new "all in" rules i thought perhaps if what i was told was true, then maybe there were new changes to the rule. either way, it didn't make sense.

either way, just celebrate with green beer and y'all will likely hear back sometime this week. i guess the program coordinator told us that to get us off his/her back since he/she was likely swamped :laugh:

Oddly enough I got a phone call from my anesthesia PD this morning but haven't heard anything from my prelim. So seems I'm backwards from most...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nebraska categorical (#1 choice)

Happy frappy. Congrats y'all!

baylor categorical. super excited and feel so blessed!

Match results can be an indicator of career interests among U.S. medical school seniors. Among the notable
trends this year:
• 3,135 U.S. seniors matched to internal medicine, an increase of 194 over last year.
• 1,837 U.S. seniors matched to pediatrics, an increase of 105 overlast year.
• Family medicine matched 1,355 U.S. seniors, 33 more than last year. More than 95
percent of family medicine positions were filled.
• Emergency medicine programs offered 1,744 positions, 76 more than last year, and filled
all but three of them.
Anesthesiology programs offered 1,653 positions, 177 more than last year, and filled all
but 62 of them.
• Specialties with at least 50 positions in The Match that filled at least 80 percent of
positions with U.S. seniors were dermatology, emergency medicine, medicine-pediatrics,
neurological surgery, orthopedic surgery, otolaryngology, radiation oncology, general
surgery, and plastic surgery.

How did anesthesiology residencies get the ability to increase spots in the match by more than 10% nationwide in a single year? I was under the impression that getting approval to increase slots from the residency review committee was a big deal?

It is likely due to the "all in rule". In the past these spots were held out of the match. So not as big an increase as it seems.

Congrats redrumi:thumbup:

I wonder how many DOs failed to grab a prelim/TY but were able to get one of the DO spots once friday 5 EST rolled around?

Good thing for the merger, otherwise that wouldn't be as valid an option.

The reality of a stressful year ahead is starting to set in.

Congrats redrumi:thumbup:

I wonder how many DOs failed to grab a prelim/TY but were able to get one of the DO spots once friday 5 EST rolled around?

Good thing for the merger, otherwise that wouldn't be as valid an option.

The reality of a stressful year ahead is starting to set in.

4th year is easily your best yr of Med School (esp from match day on). Enjoy it, it gets real soon enough.

.-- .... --- --- .--. ... .. .

Last edited:
Email from mine.

And found out my co-residents, which was awesome!

Baystate advanced! Not the top of my list but I'm super excited regardless. SOAP'd for intern year but failed to land a spot, thankfully I was able to secure a DO TRI at Crozer in PA! Congrats everyone!

Congrats! I had Baystate on my list :) I really liked their program. Had it been closer to family, I would have probably ranked it top 3. Same with Vermont. But then again, Nebraska is pretty sweet lol.

Hopefully a super awesome Baystate resident will PM you ;)

I'm so glad everything worked out for you. You're going to do great!

Duke Anesthesiology! (#1) Feel free to PM me, student doctor has been helping me for >5 years now.

Originally Posted by doctorcase
I am not actually a med school student--I just spend way too much time lurking on SDN. My husband is going to Iowa, which was our top choice. He's a DO, USMLE scores >250.

Is anyone else headed to Iowa City? I'm so excited!

Congratulations to everyone else today. Also, go hug your spouse/significant other. This is a crazy ride for us, too!

Who is your hubby (use initials). I'll be a CA-3, looking forward to meeting you both at the welcome party down the road!

Grant

I hear you, girl! BTW, it gets so annoying when haters say to me, "What did you do with your life all that time?"

Like it's all fun and games being a leech. We should write a book together. PM me.

See you at the party!

Scanned through the match results published this morning - Interesting that neither Michigan or UF filled their spots this year

Liked both, they only fell on my list due to some location / personal considerations

Scanned through the match results published this morning - Interesting that neither Michigan or UF filled their spots this year

Liked both, they only fell on my list due to some location / personal considerations

Where did you guys find these results?

Definitely surprised about Michigan. Wonder what happened.

Also still haven't received an email or call from my PD.