Official 2013-2014 Heme/Onc fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to all who matched this year!

I will be applying to hem/onc next cycle. I have a question regarding research. Can someone comment on what is considered as a "generally acceptable" research experience by most programs? I'm not talking here about the the top 3-4 programs, but rather the other reputable university programs. I have been following this forum and I keep reading (no research experience, some research exposure, decent research experience ...etc) but I cannot tell on what is "some" and what is "good" and what is "decent".

To make is easier, this is my research experience: 1st author on basic science paper related to oncology in a decent journal - 1st author on a case report in onc - 1st author on a review article in onc in mid-tier journal - 3 abstracts - 5 poster presentations (mostly local)
Of course, I have some ongoing research projects (2-3) but I wouldn't expect publication before I apply next year.

is that enough for good programs to notice my application and consider me as an applicant with good research exposure or do I need to be a PhD or have +7-8 papers to say that?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying to hem/onc next cycle. I have a question regarding research. Can someone comment on what is considered as a "generally acceptable" research experience by most programs? I'm not talking here about the the top 3-4 programs, but rather the other reputable university programs. I have been following this forum and I keep reading (no research experience, some research exposure, decent research experience ...etc) but I cannot tell on what is "some" and what is "good" and what is "decent".

To make is easier, this is my research experience: 1st author on basic science paper related to oncology in a decent journal - 1st author on a case report in onc - 1st author on a review article in onc in mid-tier journal - 3 abstracts - 5 poster presentations (mostly local)
Of course, I have some ongoing research projects (2-3) but I wouldn't expect publication before I apply next year.

is that enough for good programs to notice my application and consider me as an applicant with good research exposure or do I need to be a PhD or have +7-8 papers to say that?
You ll match

Members don't see this ad :)

Get good LORs and you'll get interview at most top-20 places.

I think you'll be more than fine with what you have right now, giving that the rest of your application is good as well. Putting PhDs aside, it's really difficult to pull out more than 2-3 papers as a first author during your final med school years and throughout residency. I would say you can even be more productive during med school than in residency! Programs know that you are applying by the end of your 2nd year as a resident. You were an intern during the first year and in any decent size medicine program I cannot see how an intern would be able to do original research and come out with pubs. During the second year you can have a few months dedicated for research in most programs but this is still not enough to finish a whole research project. You can do case reports or review articles and if you find the right people you can start (or jump into) a true research project but, as you said, how likely is it to be able to publish as a 1st author before the interview season? VERY unlikely unless you get really lucky. So other than PhDs, people in research tracks, people who took some research-dedicated time off during or after medical school or after residency, you won't find applicants with +7-8 original research papers as first authors. It's good that you already acknowledged that you won't be applying for the few top-notch programs as their applicant pool will have a lot of people with "extensive" research background that you cannot compete against (I had a research experience that is a little bit worse than yours and I didn't personally apply to those programs).
But again, I would say that you have a very good research background. Your research experience will NOT be the limiting factor in getting invites from more than 95% of the programs. The rest of your application will speak out. There are ~20-25 programs that will prepare you for academia just fine. If you are planning for PP, we shouldn't be even talking right now!

You ll match
Get good LORs and you'll get interview at most top-20 places.
I think you'll be more than fine with what you have right now, giving that the rest of your application is good as well. Putting PhDs aside, it's really difficult to pull out more than 2-3 papers as a first author during your final med school years and throughout residency. I would say you can even be more productive during med school than in residency! Programs know that you are applying by the end of your 2nd year as a resident. You were an intern during the first year and in any decent size medicine program I cannot see how an intern would be able to do original research and come out with pubs. During the second year you can have a few months dedicated for research in most programs but this is still not enough to finish a whole research project. You can do case reports or review articles and if you find the right people you can start (or jump into) a true research project but, as you said, how likely is it to be able to publish as a 1st author before the interview season? VERY unlikely unless you get really lucky. So other than PhDs, people in research tracks, people who took some research-dedicated time off during or after medical school or after residency, you won't find applicants with +7-8 original research papers as first authors. It's good that you already acknowledged that you won't be applying for the few top-notch programs as their applicant pool will have a lot of people with "extensive" research background that you cannot compete against (I had a research experience that is a little bit worse than yours and I didn't personally apply to those programs).
But again, I would say that you have a very good research background. Your research experience will NOT be the limiting factor in getting invites from more than 95% of the programs. The rest of your application will speak out. There are ~20-25 programs that will prepare you for academia just fine. If you are planning for PP, we shouldn't be even talking right now!

Thank you guys. I really didn't mean to play the "how competitive am I?" game. It's too early anyway.
Visari you pretty much answered all questions I had. It took me almost 10 months of performing experiments in the lab and a few months to get the data together and write the manuscript and submit, so I don't know how 2-3 months of "research" during my residency would be of great help. Anyway, I will do everything I can between now and applying, but I was just curious to know how people who aren't PhDs or have taken time off were able to do 12 publications! unless this number includes 5-6 case reports (which I don't believe they add a lot to your "research experience") and 3-4 abstracts which are counted under publications as well.

I definitely don't want to go for PP but I don't know if what I want is called pure academics. I don't want to run a lab, but I still want to be in a university program and be able to teach med students, residents and fellows. I want to be involved in clinical research but I don't want to spend all my time in an office behind a computer writing manuscripts and applying for grants. I guess any decent university program will prepare me well for that, that's why I don't care much about the top biggies.

Another questions: why are a lot of applicants here still not posting where they matched? there're people who posted like a gazillion questions here and then they disappeared, and I am really interested to see where they matched. Is it to keep anonymity?

Another questions: why are a lot of applicants here still not posting where they matched? there're people who posted like a gazillion questions here and then they disappeared, and I am really interested to see where they matched. Is it to keep anonymity?

It's pretty much the typical way these kinds of threads go. New users come here out of nowhere, post a bunch of questions, argue with those of us who have been around forever and then just disappear. It's frustrating but not much you can do about it.

Thank you guys. I really didn't mean to play the "how competitive am I?" game. It's too early anyway.
Visari you pretty much answered all questions I had. It took me almost 10 months of performing experiments in the lab and a few months to get the data together and write the manuscript and submit, so I don't know how 2-3 months of "research" during my residency would be of great help. Anyway, I will do everything I can between now and applying, but I was just curious to know how people who aren't PhDs or have taken time off were able to do 12 publications! unless this number includes 5-6 case reports (which I don't believe they add a lot to your "research experience") and 3-4 abstracts which are counted under publications as well.

I definitely don't want to go for PP but I don't know if what I want is called pure academics. I don't want to run a lab, but I still want to be in a university program and be able to teach med students, residents and fellows. I want to be involved in clinical research but I don't want to spend all my time in an office behind a computer writing manuscripts and applying for grants. I guess any decent university program will prepare me well for that, that's why I don't care much about the top biggies.

I guess you will take over this forum next year as the person with the most postings. You SHOULD have no problem matching with your research background unless your scores and LORs are not good. Low scores will get you filtered before they even get to know you. Excellent LORs from well-known people will get you farther than you think. Not everyone who said they will write you a good letter will write you an awesome letter (see older thread for some examples from Gutonc). You have to build that trusting relationship in order for them to write you great letters. My career interest is very similar to you. I'm not a bench research person. However, I still matched at my number one choice at the NIH/NCI. So you don't always have to be strong in basic/translational research and publish a tons of papers to match in the top 5.

I guess you will take over this forum next year as the person with the most postings
Lol I'm not that type of person trust me. My question was not about my chances of matching or how competitive my application would be. I was just curious about the research point, and that was clarified. Congrats on your match and thanks for your input!

LOR Question:

I'm debating on who to ask for my 4th LOR.

a. Associate professor in hematology, previous program director, I worked with her on consults for 1 week
b. A general medicine attending who is a professor, the vice chairman of medicine, worked with him for ~1 month

My other 3 letters are: residency program director, director of cancer center, and another heme/onc attending who I both worked and researched with.

LOR Question:

a. Associate professor in hematology, previous program director, I worked with her on consults for 1 week
b. A general medicine attending who is a professor, the vice chairman of medicine, worked with him for ~1 month

My other 3 letters are: residency program director, director of cancer center, and another heme/onc attending who I both worked and researched with.

Ask for both and see if your PD can guide you as to which one to use more. I would think the gen med attending who worked with you longer has more insight and is able to write a more comprehensive and personalized letter though.

LOR Question:

Yeah. I agree with Niviancer. You can ask for as many as you want and decide later. From my experiences, the people who wrote me great/awesome letters are those who knew me best. See an old thread from Gutonc. A chairman letter tend to be very generic..

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I agree with Niviancer. You can ask for as many as you want and decide later. From my experiences, the people who wrote me great/awesome letters are those who knew me best. See an old thread from Gutonc. A chairman letter tend to be very generic..
Use the letter from the person who knows you best. If that happens to be the vice chair, then go for it.

My previous comment was about those IM Chair Letters that so many residency programs ask for that's basically a 2nd MSPE.

Did you guys/girls send cards, gifts, or emails to your LOR writers after matching?

I matched at a program I am excited about.

Can't wait to start the new year and start fellowship.

Best of luck to everyone! Congrats to those who matched!

congratulations to all who matched!
Those who didn't.... don't give up!

Use the letter from the person who knows you best. If that happens to be the vice chair, then go for it.

My previous comment was about those IM Chair Letters that so many residency programs ask for that's basically a 2nd MSPE.

Thanks that helps solidify my choices:
1. PD (IM)
2. 2 Onc Attendings
3. General medicine attending

Hopefully not having a dedicated heme attending won't hurt!

Thanks that helps solidify my choices:
1. PD (IM)
2. 2 Onc Attendings
3. General medicine attending

Hopefully not having a dedicated heme attending won't hurt!
Since you like solids, it's not gonna hurt you at all. But if you like liquids/transplant, having people in the same field write you letter will help you.

When is it better to request vacation time to interview: 08/26-9/22 OR 9/23-10/20. Thanks!

Thanks guys. I think Ill try to get my research month 9/23-10/20 (only obligation will be continuity clinic) and maybe 2 weeks of vacation in the first part of September.

Starting to get excited!

Hello all. Thanks to GrutonC and all the active members to make the forum full of information.

I am a new member and will be applying for this year hem/onc cycle and thought I can use some guidance and make some friends along the way.

My credential are as follows -

IMG - MD, MPH degree
Chief residency done two years ago
Did three rotations as student and resident at MD Anderson cancer center from with I have two clinical publications
Step scores - 93/94/80, Finished residency from Community program -University affiliated - decent program - on H1B visa
2 years of research fellowship//bench research in lab - done before the residency - from which I have a first author publication
Currently working as a hospitalist - 2nd year and also Clinical assistant professor with University with academic title
9 First author publications - 1 more first author submitted recently and one second author submitted recently for which i was co recipient of grant.
Peer reviewer with 5/6 High impact journals

I am going to apply to the programs that supports H1B fellowship and so far I have seen a lot of positive energy in this forum and will love to see that carried along this year in the application cycle. Any inputs from you guys will be appreciated.
So far I have learned from the forums- For IMGs - west coast - waste of money to apply I think.

I do not know if BTWRAINDROPS is still active on forum or not but I was wondering to make list of programs that supports H1B visa for IMGs. I will appreciate if anyone has a list and can share that. Otherwise I will keep making a list and keep posting. We should keep the good work going on. Thanks again to all the active members. Hope to see more of you during this cycle.

Hello all. Thanks to GrutonC and all the active members to make the forum full of information.

I am a new member and will be applying for this year hem/onc cycle and thought I can use some guidance and make some friends along the way.

My credential are as follows -

IMG - MD, MPH degree
Chief residency done two years ago
Did three rotations as student and resident at MD Anderson cancer center from with I have two clinical publications
Step scores - 93/94/80, Finished residency from Community program -University affiliated - decent program - on H1B visa
2 years of research fellowship//bench research in lab - done before the residency - from which I have a first author publication
Currently working as a hospitalist - 2nd year and also Clinical assistant professor with University with academic title
9 First author publications - 1 more first author submitted recently and one second author submitted recently for which i was co recipient of grant.
Peer reviewer with 5/6 High impact journals

I am going to apply to the programs that supports H1B fellowship and so far I have seen a lot of positive energy in this forum and will love to see that carried along this year in the application cycle. Any inputs from you guys will be appreciated.
So far I have learned from the forums- For IMGs - west coast - waste of money to apply I think.

I do not know if BTWRAINDROPS is still active on forum or not but I was wondering to make list of programs that supports H1B visa for IMGs. I will appreciate if anyone has a list and can share that. Otherwise I will keep making a list and keep posting. We should keep the good work going on. Thanks again to all the active members. Hope to see more of you during this cycle.

So to wrap it up,
your positives: decent research background - MPH (maybe) - letters from MDACC faculty?
your negatives: IMG - H1b - low scores - community residency program - 2-3 years away from residency

I think with your research background you shouldn't have trouble matching. My advice is to apply broadly and not to expect much love from the top programs.

So my abstract for ASCO was accepted only for publication. Kind of bummed, because I was hoping to make that my focal point of my application. I started to work on my PS, etc. Starting to budget my finances and schedule for next year, so I wanted to get some input on how many programs to apply to and what programs to add. I included the definite programs by region below. Should I add more programs from my consider list?

So my final CV for fellowship will be:

Steps 1/2: >240
MD, MPH
Probably won't have step 3 in time
Mid-tier residency and med school, top 1/4 med school class
From the midwest
Looking at the past 5 years match from my residency: best programs, Mayo, Wash U and MDACC
Interested in Lung, but liquids are still an interest to me
Pursuing academic career

Med School research:
1 submitted publication-middle author: Summer research at MDACC during med school
2 first author oral presentations-1 at a major conference, 1 at a local conference during med school

Residency Research:
1 second author abstract accepted for an international conference: PGY-1
First author abstract for asco publication-->I am currently on working on authoring a manuscript for this, I don't think it will be submitted by July 1: PGY-2

West Coast:
1. University of Washington
2. OHSU
3. Stanford
4. UCSF
5. UC Davis
6. UCLA
7. UCLA-Harbor
8. UCLA-Olive view
9. USC
10. UC Irvine
11. UC San Diego

Mid-West
1. Mayo
2. Wash U
3. U Chicago
4. Northwestern
5. Michigan
6. Ohio State

South:
1. UTSW
2. Baylor
3. MDACC
4. Vanderbilt
5. Emory
6. USF
8. Duke

East Coast:
1. Dana-Farber
2. BIDMC
3. Johns Hopkins
4. Yale
5. MSKCC
6. Columbia
7. Cornell
8. Penn
9. Pitt

Considering to add:
1. UAB
2. Arizona
3. Mayo Arizona and/or Jax
4. Scripps
5. Loma Linda
6. Georgetown
7. UVa
8. UNC
9. Wake Forest
10. Brown
11. Dartmouth
12. MSSM
13. Cleveland Clinic
14. Wisconsin

So my abstract for ASCO was accepted only for publication. Kind of bummed, because I was hoping to make that my focal point of my application. I started to work on my PS, etc. Starting to budget my finances and schedule for next year, so I wanted to get some input on how many programs to apply to and what programs to add. I included the definite programs by region below. Should I add more programs from my consider list?

So my final CV for fellowship will be:

Steps 1/2: >240
MD, MPH
Probably won't have step 3 in time
Mid-tier residency and med school, top 1/4 med school class
From the midwest
Looking at the past 5 years match from my residency: best programs, Mayo, Wash U and MDACC
Interested in Lung, but liquids are still an interest to me
Pursuing academic career

Med School research:
1 submitted publication-middle author: Summer research at MDACC during med school
2 first author oral presentations-1 at a major conference, 1 at a local conference during med school

Residency Research:
1 second author abstract accepted for an international conference: PGY-1
First author abstract for asco publication-->I am currently on working on authoring a manuscript for this, I don't think it will be submitted by July 1: PGY-2

West Coast:
1. University of Washington
2. OHSU
3. Stanford
4. UCSF
5. UC Davis
6. UCLA
7. UCLA-Harbor
8. UCLA-Olive view
9. USC
10. UC Irvine
11. UC San Diego

Mid-West
1. Mayo
2. Wash U
3. U Chicago
4. Northwestern
5. Michigan
6. Ohio State

South:
1. UTSW
2. Baylor
3. MDACC
4. Vanderbilt
5. Emory
6. USF
8. Duke

East Coast:
1. Dana-Farber
2. BIDMC
3. Johns Hopkins
4. Yale
5. MSKCC
6. Columbia
7. Cornell
8. Penn
9. Pitt

Considering to add:
1. UAB
2. Arizona
3. Mayo Arizona and/or Jax
4. Scripps
5. Loma Linda
6. Georgetown
7. UVa
8. UNC
9. Wake Forest
10. Brown
11. Dartmouth
12. MSSM
13. Cleveland Clinic
14. Wisconsin

I think you will match in a decent place. I wouldn't apply to Harbor, Olive view, USC or Irvine if I were you unless you absolutely love the west coast.
Regarding the programs you are considering to add, I would definitely apply to UNC, MSSM, Brown, Wake and CCF.
Do you have any geographical preference at all? It seems like you don't mind moving anywhere in the country based on this list of programs.

I think you will match in a decent place. I wouldn't apply to Harbor, Olive view, USC or Irvine if I were you unless you absolutely love the west coast.
Regarding the programs you are considering to add, I would definitely apply to UNC, MSSM, Brown, Wake and CCF.
Do you have any geographical preference at all? It seems like you don't mind moving anywhere in the country based on this list of programs.

Thanks for the reply!

Why would you knock off the programs you listed? I am pretty open to going anywhere as long as the program is solid. I was weary of MSSM, Brown and CCF because they lacked the NCI affiliation, I'm not sure how much that should matter for those programs since they seem pretty strong.

Why would you knock off the programs you listed?

Because they don't fit in the caliber of programs you are applying to unless you're keeping them as a safety net.

I was weary of MSSM, Brown and CCF because they lacked the NCI affiliation, I'm not sure how much that should matter for those programs since they seem pretty strong.

I don't know what the NCI status of those programs is (and I don't care much to know), but no one would argue that MSSM is a great place to train for hem/onc. Brown is a good place too. CCF is CCF you know but it's still a good place to spend fellowship.

I have to warn you that you will be spending a ton of money if you are applying that broadly and planning to interview everywhere. You should work out your schedule as well. You will be literally flying to the four corners of the country many times. I unfortunately had to do that and I can tell you that it was much more disturbing than I thought it would. Not tomention that I was broke after that.

Thanks again Visari.

I probably will add MSSM (I hope they have subsidized housing), Brown and CCF. Those 3 were at the top of my list that I was really contemplating, along with Wisconsin, Wake, UNC and UVa.

Harbor and Oliveview are wild cards for me because I think they are affiliated with City of Hope and Cedars which seem like pretty legit places to train. So I will need to do more research. I am planning on ~10 interviews if I am so lucky with 2 definitely in Chicago, and 8 elsewhere. I can't wait for this to start!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I would like your opinion and help regarding my fellowship application for this upcoming cycle.

My CV is:
IMG
USMLE 99/99/99
Community based university affiliated IM residency program

Research
- First author in case report, Impact factor 4.
- First author in case report, IF - none.
- Third author in original basic lab research, IF 10.
- Second author in original retrospective clinical research, submitted in journal. IF likely around 4.
- Poster presentation in ASH 2013 (Third author), Restrospective clinical
- Poster at ASCO (First author) Restrospective clinical
- Podium presentation at Local state ACP chapter (First author) Restrospective clinical

I am planning to apply for fellowship this year. I feel like being an IMG and residency at a mid-low tier hospital reduces my chances? I have no idea how much research is enough.
I am not looking at the top programs at all but what sort of programs should I apply for where I may have a chance?

Any input will be helpful as I feel lost on where to apply and what else to do to improve this.

Thanks

You have great publication and just get GREAT LOR and be confident. I am sure you will have great chances

Hello everyone,

I would like your opinion and help regarding my fellowship application for this upcoming cycle.

My CV is:
IMG
USMLE 99/99/99
Community based university affiliated IM residency program

Research
- First author in case report, Impact factor 4.
- First author in case report, IF - none.
- Third author in original basic lab research, IF 10.
- Second author in original retrospective clinical research, submitted in journal. IF likely around 4.
- Poster presentation in ASH 2013 (Third author), Restrospective clinical
- Poster at ASCO (First author) Restrospective clinical
- Podium presentation at Local state ACP chapter (First author) Restrospective clinical

I am planning to apply for fellowship this year. I feel like being an IMG and residency at a mid-low tier hospital reduces my chances? I have no idea how much research is enough.
I am not looking at the top programs at all but what sort of programs should I apply for where I may have a chance?

Any input will be helpful as I feel lost on where to apply and what else to do to improve this.

Thanks

Summary of the 2013-2014 interview thread:
-We appear to be right on pace with the thread last year, around ~40-45 interviews at this time
-Of note, around 42 programs were not posted to the thread last year
-We should expect to see a huge bump near the end of this week and the beginning of next week
-as you can, the list is not exhaustive or completely accurate given that these are SDN post. To the lurkers, please provide interview offers and date received to help other, you can PM me if you want. Thanks!
-I'll post this to the 2013-2014 thread for easier access
  1. Moffitt/USF: 07/18
  2. Scott and White: 07/21
  3. Minnesota: 07/22
  4. BIDMC: 07/22
  5. NCI: 07/23
  6. Columbia: 07/24
  7. Fox Chase: 07/25
  8. Orlando Health: 07/25
  9. Louisville: 07/26
  10. ECU: 07/26
  11. Tennessee: 07/31