Official 2011 USMLE Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProtossCarrier

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a second year who will write the exam in June 2011. Meanwhile let this be a good thread where everyone share their study progress and recent trend of the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright well I've followed SDN for a while so I figured I'd contribute...

Took Step 1 today. Overal-not bad at all. Thought it was actually WAY easier than any of the NBME exams as well as usmleworld. Maybe 2-3 questions each block I was unsure about-the rest I felt were gimme's. Had plenty of time each block-usually finished with about 5 minutes to spare. I'd say maybe 2 of the blocks I continued to check over my answers until the last second. My advice: just know first aid. There were only 1-2 questions total that were on step that could be found in goljan and not in first aid. Just know first aid and DO QUESTION BANKS. I ended up doing usmleworld, all 7 NBME's, Kaplan, usmlerx, and robbins rapid review questions. Here are my stats:

NBME 1 7 weeks out: 260
NBME 2 6 weeks out 260
NBME 3 5 weeks out 260
NBME 4 1 month out 271
NBME 5 3 weeks out 260
NBME 6/7 same day 2 weeks out 264/266 2 weeks out
USMLE WORLD self assessments 2 weeks out 265

USMLEWORLD stats 100% completed random, timed 85%
Kaplan random timed (did this one first)-~78%
UsmleRx and robbins rapid review were around 83%

My goal for what I would be okay with is 250. But my hope is to get above a 260.

Again-focus on first aid. Goljan for me was incredibly low yield. You are better knowing every single detail in first aid instead of learning things in goljan. Do questions banks!!! And having a year of clinical rotations helps too =)

Good luck to everyone-I will post what my score is when I get it in 3 weeks! Soooo glad to be done!!!

Took Step 1 today. Overal-not bad at all. Thought it was actually WAY easier than any of the NBME exams as well as usmleworld. Maybe 2-3 questions each block I was unsure about-the rest I felt were gimme's. Had plenty of time each block-usually finished with about 5 minutes to spare. I'd say maybe 2 of the blocks I continued to check over my answers until the last second. My advice: just know first aid. There were only 1-2 questions total that were on step that could be found in goljan and not in first aid. Just know first aid and DO QUESTION BANKS. I ended up doing usmleworld, all 7 NBME's, Kaplan, usmlerx, and robbins rapid review questions. Here are my stats:

NBME 2 6 weeks out 260
NBME 3 5 weeks out 260
NBME 4 1 month out 271
NBME 5 3 weeks out 260

My goal for what I would be okay with is 250. But my hope is to get above a 260.

Again-focus on first aid. Goljan for me was incredibly low yield. You are better knowing every single detail in first aid instead of learning things in goljan. Do questions banks!!! And having a year of clinical rotations helps too =)

Good luck to everyone-I will post what my score is when I get it in 3 weeks! Soooo glad to be done!!!

What about BRS Physio?

What about BRS Physio?

I only used it maybe 2 or 3 times to look up a couple of things that I just didn't quite get-again I used to more like goljan. If I came across a question that I wasn't able to understand from the explanation or first aid, I would look it up to try to figure it out. Other than that I didn't really use it-I had the book on PDF so I could just search what term I was looking for.
Had I know everything in BRS I can think of maybe 2-3 questions in which I had the answer choices narrowed down to two answer choices-and maybe I would have known the answers had I read BRS phys.

Members don't see this ad :)

NBME 2 6 weeks out 260
NBME 3 5 weeks out 260
NBME 4 1 month out 271
NBME 5 3 weeks out 260

Wow! That is really incredible. You could have even taken the test at the beginning of your studying!
Good luck with the score, but I'm sure it will be pretty impressive :)
:luck:

Hi everyone
So I finally took mine on 27th jan. I think I did great but I am avoiding thinking about the exam so much. My advice, know first aid as well as you can. Many of the questions were straight forward not the kind you see on U World.Also do lots and lots of questions but always in a timed mode so that you dont have to worry about finishing in time . I finished first four blocks 8 to 10 minutes ahead of time so that was not an issue, the last three blocks I got a little slower due to the fatigue factor.My biggest concern was Biostats but the questions were really straight forward.I did get a question exactly similar to the one i did on UW There were about five to six questions with brain sections and I would really recommend going through some of the important anatomy slides on webpath ( one of the slides was even the same as webpath without even a single difference). ok my scores

UW 83% all blocks random and timed
NBME form 4 247
NBME form 5 255
NBME form 7 260 This one really pumped me up just a week before the exam
NBME form 6 253 This one I did just 2 days before the exam dont know what happened here

Still my test was of about the same difficulty as form 5. Ok the materials I used

Kaplan notes all of them
Goljan patho ( was not as high yield as i had hoped .but i would still recommend it)
First Aid
MRS for micro

well thats it .I am hoping to get over 250. Still the anxiety level is rising with each passing day.

For all of you who are taking or have taken the exam in Dec/Jan, what year are you in med school? I thought everyone took it in between second and third year, around may/june? Do you guys take during the school year, or have you taken some time off for the test?

For all of you who are taking or have taken the exam in Dec/Jan, what year are you in med school? I thought everyone took it in between second and third year, around may/june? Do you guys take during the school year, or have you taken some time off for the test?

I think most of these people are IMG's

Started studying mid August 2010, took the exam January 20th 2011 (last Thursday)! Total prep time: 4-5 months

NBME 1 (after watching kaplan videos): 185
NBME 6 (late Oct): 197
NBME 7 (Dec 31st): 240
UWSA 2 (Dec 31st): 252
NBME 3 (two weeks to go): 231
USMLE Rx simulation (1 week to go): 266

Materials used:
Pathology: BRS pathology, RR pathology, Kaplan Pathololgy
I would recommend reading BRS path once then listening to Goljan audio along with the RR pathology. I tried to read RR pathology but found the format difficult to deal with although I loved Goljan audio. Kaplan pathology was okay for pictures and I mainly used it while attending live lectures where I had Dr. Barone as a lecturer and he was pretty awesome.

Microbiology: First Aid, Clinical Microbiology made Ridiculously Simple (better than Kaplan micro)
Wasted a whole week watching Kaplan microbiology videos which were really not necessary. If I could start over, I would read CMMRS and supplement with First Aid.

Physiology: BRS physiology (highly recommend this), Kaplan Physiology
Kaplan physiology along with the videos were pretty decent. I only 'discovered' BRS physiology a month before my exam and although everyone says not to read new material so close to the exam, I gave it a quick read and really liked it. I think if you know BRS physiology cold it's sufficient for the exam.

Biochemistry: Kaplan biochemistry, First Aid
I watched the videos but didn't know the material really well until I attended the Live Lectures and had Dr. Hansen as a lecturer. She is pretty amazing and I went from Biochem being my weakest subject to one of my strongest. First Aid has a few conditions that weren't covered in the Kaplan textbook which is why I'm mentioning it.

Pharmacology: First Aid, Kaplan
I had a pretty good pharmacology lecturer during Live Lectures as well. I annotated Kaplan pharm into First Aid and I think that was enough.

Behavioral Sciences: Kaplan, First Aid
I read the Kaplan behavioral sciences book once and didn't touch it again. Reviewed First Aid before my exam. I had Dr. Fadem (she writes the high yield behavioral book) for live lectures and I've heard good things about her book but I didn't end up using it. My med school was pretty keen on Behavioral so I felt like I had a good starting foundation and it was my strongest subject in all my NBMEs.

Anatomy: Kaplan anatomy, HY neuroanatomy, First Aid
Anatomy was my weakest subject in all NBMEs and the actual exam. I kinda wish I had given more time to it. I felt the Kaplan anatomy book was overdetailed so I read it once but didn't really go back to it. I didn't read all of HY neuroanatomy just the bits on brainstem and spinal cord and some pictures. My neuroanatomy was pretty solid towards the end because I spent some time going through the pathways, pictures etc but I still really sucked at overall anatomy. I did get a lot of random anatomy questions on my exam (not just brachial plexus!) so yeah contrary to what you may have heard First Aid is NOT enough for anatomy.

Question Banks:
Finished U World once and then did incorrect questions again. The No 1 thing I would recommend is to annotate into First Aid concepts from UWorld as you go along. If 50 questions sounds too much, start off by doing 10-20 questions a day just make sure you annotate. The difficult questions in the actual exam are UWorld style so this is really helpful. I managed to annotate maybe 40-50% of UWorld into First Aid as I was pretty lazy in the beginning. My average was 56% first round and 80's towards end of second round.

I also did Kaplan Qbank, finished around 60%. I think I was on 65-70% towards the end. I don't know if I would do the Kaplan Qbank if I had to start over, I didn't find it extremely useful.

USMLE Rx. Finished 30%. Averaged 77%
I bought this about two weeks before my exam because I kinda run out of questions to review on UWorld and wanted to consolidate First Aid. I reallly liked it. It makes you notice the small details you skimmed over in First Aid. It was also good for doing a full 8 hour simulation test a week before the exam. It predicted me 266 though but I think it has a +/- 20 error margin. I almost prefer this as a second Qbank over Kaplan but Kaplan seems to be more popular and my scores haven't come out so maybe I'm wrong.

August to October: I started off watching Kaplan videos for Biochemistry, Microbiology and Physiology. My studying during the first few months was kinda on-off and I maybe did 4-5 hours a day. I found the videos good but a little slow and most of the time I was nodding off. I also listened to Goljan audio once (using RR pathology along with it) during this time but again it was a bit slow for me and I didn't really appreciate Goljan at this point

October to first week of December: Kaplan 6 week live lecture course. Lectures were amazing for pathology (Barone!), pharmacology and biochem. Others were decent but not anything to be over the moon about. The only downside of the lectures was that it didn't give me a lot of time to study in the evenings and I was lucky if I finished a block of UWorld questions at the end of each day. I guess it depends on how focused you can be. I also spent some of the time there socializing ( yes you do meet some decent people on the course) so I wasn't really pushing myself 100%.

December to exam: Crunch time. Ended up studying maybe 12 hours a day minimum, barely left the house etc. I was never an amazing student at med school but once I made a timetable and realized how much I needed to get through I just sucked it up and starting working my a** off. My score bumped up from 197 to 240-250 after three weeks of intense studying. I didn't really want to move my Jan 20th exam date because I had holiday plans end of January.

Things that really worked for me.
1. I went through First Aid using the DIT videos. This really forced me to buckle down and get through First Aid instead of just skimming over it. You may not need it if you are a focused person but if you are slightly attnetion deficit like I am, this really helps as Dr Jenkins kinda drills all the facts into your head. I watched them 1.7x times speed.

2. Listening to Goljan pathology again. I appreciated Goljan so much more second time round after I had a better pathology foundation. I also listened to this at 1.7x times speed as he was going too slow on normal speed.

3. Making connections. Annotate, annotate, annotate. If you read about a disease in First Aid, that is maybe mentioned in another section, make the connection and write it down. The actual exam is all about concepts and making connections. E.g. Paget's disease may cause high output cardiac failure (mentioned in the musk section of First Aid). Write this down in the cardiology section also. Add to it what kind of physiological values you would expect in high output cardiac failure. So this way you end up connecting musk +cardiac path+ cardiac physiology.

Actual exam:
More tiring than any of the 8 hour simulations I took. Maybe it's the stress bubbling away underneath. Make sure to get a good nights sleep before I know a lot of people who couldn't sleep the night prior and this really affected their performance. Avoid caffeine after midday the day before, go out for a movie or dinner with a friend.

I got to the Prometric Center around 7:15 am and I think ended up starting my exam at 7:30 am or something. Did the first two blocks back to back, took a break after 3rd and 4th, did blocks 5 and 6 back to back, took another break then did my last block. I had a massive headache during my 4th block which I think was due to caffeine withdrawal so I took a break after that and had my lunch and some coffee.

Question-wise: some of it was really really easy. There were definitely quite a few 'free' questions where you were kinda like 'come on are you serious?'
Then there were the mid-range questions where you kinda felt good about yourself because you were like 'this would be difficult if I hadn't studied my ass off but I did'.
Then there were the horrible ones. Most questions I could narrow down to two choices then I'd be stuck between them for ages. Some questions were so bizarre that I felt like shouting at my computer screen. There were questions I felt like even if I had spent another year preparing for Step1 I wouldn't have known the answer.

Time wise I was surprised by how I didn't have 20 minutes extra like I normally did for my practice tests. I had three minutes left after going through my marked questions in Block 1 ( I did spend a considerable amount of time going back and forth between choices) so I cranked it up and sped up a bit for the blocks after. But yeah as I said I'm normally a fast test-taker and I didn't have lots of extra time in the real thing.

That was really long. I hope that was useful for you guys. Still waiting for results I think I'll be happy with anything over a 240 but would be really disappointed if I ended up with a 220 or something. I don't even wanna think about results right now!!

thanks a lot for ur help. ur plan sounds very similar to what im currently doing so its good to hear that u seem to be in the 240+ range. i hope u get the score u want!

Any suggestions on flash cards for Pharm?

I've heard Lange, BRS, and Brenners are good...I'm looking for something that will help me put the drug in its clinical context. It's easier for me to memorize drugs that way.

Any suggestions on flash cards for Pharm?

I've heard Lange, BRS, and Brenners are good...I'm looking for something that will help me put the drug in its clinical context. It's easier for me to memorize drugs that way.

I had purchased the Pharmnemonics cards and they are great for me. I had heard many great things about the lippincott cards because they include clinical vignettes with each drug. This is probably best to put things into clinical context.

I had purchased the Pharmnemonics cards and they are great for me. I had heard many great things about the lippincott cards because they include clinical vignettes with each drug. This is probably best to put things into clinical context.

You enjoyed the pharmnemonics cards?!?! I mean if it works for you it works for you but I couldnt take those cards seriously....those were some of the worst mnemonics i think ive ever heard in my life!! They would just make up random sentences and then highlight letters so that eventually it spelled out the name of the drug! I almost kept them just for a source of amusemt.

I have the lippincott cards and Ive enjoyed those so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmneumonics cards are great, they are just not for every one.

You enjoyed the pharmnemonics cards?!?! I mean if it works for you it works for you but I couldnt take those cards seriously....those were some of the worst mnemonics i think ive ever heard in my life!! They would just make up random sentences and then highlight letters so that eventually it spelled out the name of the drug! I almost kept them just for a source of amusemt.

I have the lippincott cards and Ive enjoyed those so far.

I guess it all depends on how some people study. I am huge on mnemonics. I really enjoyed reading CMMRS because of its interesting mnemonics;as silly as they are, they make the info stick. Others in my class absolutely hated that book as 'it was so silly it couldnt be taken seriously' I was actually quite impressed with the cards because of the details in the MOA and the SE. I guess to each his own.

For anyone that's used the online kaplan + 2011 kaplan notes...what did you think about them? I'm debating whether or not to buy just the books, or the online stuff for some of the lecturers (although I'm not sure which, if any would be worth it).

Test is in June. I've already started FA and Rx, planning on starting UW in march, hopefully to make it through that bank twice. I think FA is great, but as it's been said, it's only a skeleton and I'm starting to think having the kaplan notes to fill in the blanks, make connections, ect. might be worth it. Thanks for any input.

I guess it all depends on how some people study. I am huge on mnemonics. I really enjoyed reading CMMRS because of its interesting mnemonics;as silly as they are, they make the info stick. Others in my class absolutely hated that book as 'it was so silly it couldnt be taken seriously' I was actually quite impressed with the cards because of the details in the MOA and the SE. I guess to each his own.

Yea i totally agree, if it helps you remember it thats all that matters! I loved CMMRS and found most of their mnemonics pretty useful. I think what worked the best were the pictures. So much that my buddy and I started makin our pictures for other bugs. Those are the ones that definitely stuck the easiest!

Does anyone know if you can just buy the kaplan or PR books by themselves? If they are bundled what is the cost?

Also, will using the Kaplan or Princeton Review step 1 books work for a short study time frame ( I have 6 weeks).

Ebay and Amazon both have the kaplan books for 2011 for about $400. Amazon is a little cheaper
I have not searched for princeton review.

Anyone know a solid review book for anatomy? I heard BRS, HY, and Road Map are the major players but I am having a tough time committing to any of these. What are all of you planning on doing for that portion of the USMLE?

Last edited:
Anyone know a solid review book for anatomy? I head BRS, HY, and Road Map are the major players but I am having a tough time committing to any of these. What are all of you planning on doing for that portion of the USMLE?

I've used BRS for class work so I'm going to stick with that and FA. I liked BRS because of clinical correlates and summary boxes at the end of each chapter (not to mention some practice questions at the end of each chapter are a nice touch).

Anyone know a solid review book for anatomy? I head BRS, HY, and Road Map are the major players but I am having a tough time committing to any of these. What are all of you planning on doing for that portion of the USMLE?

We used Rapid Review for class (because our dept head wrote it) and I really liked it. It's a little more extensive, but a good place for the big picture. I'm also using the Gold Standard Audio.

Does anyone know if you can just buy the kaplan or PR books by themselves? If they are bundled what is the cost?

Also, will using the Kaplan or Princeton Review step 1 books work for a short study time frame ( I have 6 weeks).

I just bought the kaplan books from a 3rd year who used them last year. They dont' change them much if at all from year to year. The 2011 ones look differetn and they made them color, but the material is the same.

Anyone know a solid review book for anatomy? I heard BRS, HY, and Road Map are the major players but I am having a tough time committing to any of these. What are all of you planning on doing for that portion of the USMLE?

ive heard HY is good but ive also heard good things about Kaplan, altho it seems really in depth. I just decided to use Kaplan cuz i already had the book. Figure i'll just omit stuff i dont think is important and with Uworld and FA that will be more than enough.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the FA Q&A book is any good?

Questions are pretty basic and few (about 30-50 for each chapter) . I would stick with an online q-bank.

on the topic of boards: test date is May 31st for COMLEX and im still pending on my USMLE date which will be sometime before my COMLEX date.

ive heard HY is good but ive also heard good things about Kaplan, altho it seems really in depth. I just decided to use Kaplan cuz i already had the book. Figure i'll just omit stuff i dont think is important and with Uworld and FA that will be more than enough.

BTW, the Anatomy Road Map and Kaplan anatomy are both by the same author (White). He gave some of the anatomy (and all of the neuroscience) lectures at our school and his books have always been quite good.

I just bought the kaplan books from a 3rd year who used them last year. They dont' change them much if at all from year to year. The 2011 ones look differetn and they made them color, but the material is the same.

Are you planning on annotating FA with the lecture notes? I just bought them too and was planning on doing that...but that task is starting to seem a bit daunting.

Just got my score back 238/99 was aiming for 240+ but it's not something I'm going to cry about. My experience is on the first page of this thread.

great job. so i guess 19 days of studying didn't increase your score. your nbme 7 was 240 dec 31 and exam was 20th of jan. this exam is really weird.

great score indeed, enjoy it.

Just got my score back 238/99 was aiming for 240+ but it's not something I'm going to cry about. My experience is on the first page of this thread.

Are you planning on annotating FA with the lecture notes? I just bought them too and was planning on doing that...but that task is starting to seem a bit daunting.

Yea thats what im plannin on doin. Ive started doin it for pharm and its definitely a pain in the ass but it will be worth it when its all done to have one source that has everything you want to know.

Oh yeah guys don't neglect your anatomy. I feel I missed a few really easy anatomy questions just because my anatomy core knowledge was pretty bad and I relied on First aid for overall anatomy (HY for neuro). First Aid is def not enough. Kaplan anatomy wasn't enough for me either.

Don't run away from your weak areas. Anatomy was always my weakest area, I hated it, and sort of pulled my score down in the actual exam.

congratulations and thanks once again for your post. good luck with everything! :D

Oh yeah guys don't neglect your anatomy. I feel I missed a few really easy anatomy questions just because my anatomy core knowledge was pretty bad and I relied on First aid for overall anatomy (HY for neuro). First Aid is def not enough. Kaplan anatomy wasn't enough for me either.

Don't run away from your weak areas. Anatomy was always my weakest area, I hated it, and sort of pulled my score down in the actual exam.

Is there an anatomy resource you would recommend? I've heard BRS Anatomy is pretty good...

So if arielred took the exam on the 20th and got their score back yesterday....I took mine on the 27th...meaning I should get it back in 6 days.....the wait is killing me. How can 3 weeks seem sooo long!?!

I am a US medical student-at my medical school (and I think one other med school in the US) we finish basic sciences in 1.5 years, and start clinics in Jan of our 2nd year. Most people do about ~1 year of clinics then take USMLE 1.

I am a US medical student-at my medical school (and I think one other med school in the US) we finish basic sciences in 1.5 years, and start clinics in Jan of our 2nd year. Most people do about ~1 year of clinics then take USMLE 1.

Oh, that makes sense! Good luck for the wait, I'm sure these three weeks must be unbearable :scared:

Someone above mentioned Gold Standard Audio.... does anyone have any experience with this? I think I'm definitely more of an auditory learner, so I'd love any opinions on this (please!)!

I'll be taking the exam June 13th. :eek:

Hi maryjane I hope the waiting is going by quickly. I was kind of curious what kind of study plan / timeline you used during the clinical year. Our school has us take it at the end of our first clinical year with a month to study and I was trying to figure out how to approach studying and keeping the material fresh for the next year, any tips?

So if arielred took the exam on the 20th and got their score back yesterday....I took mine on the 27th...meaning I should get it back in 6 days.....the wait is killing me. How can 3 weeks seem sooo long!?!

Go on holiday! Passes the time :) I didn't realize my score was due back until I checked my email on weds morning) with jet lag and a slight hangover). This is the time to go crazy. Enjoy it!!

Hi I took my exam on the 27th too, so just wanted to ask you are you freaking out as I am. I mean I felt pretty confident when I came out of the exam center but now I am having doubts. I am trying not to think about the exam questions too much.