Official 2009 USMLE Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VFib911

excess NADH
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two days premature, but I thought I would get it started anyway as I just took the exam this morning!!!!!

Overall impressions:
- Path, path, path - been said before and I'll say it again "know it Goljan style"
- Don't forget the biostats. I prob had 10-13 questions here.
- UW is gold... both for content and material presentation. Get comfortable with the interface and it will help you test day as it is very similar.
- FA was very helpful, but I used it for review rather than primary study source.

Today:
- In at 8:30, out at 2:30.Finished each block with 10-15 minutes left.
- Three breaks, one quick trip to the BR, one 10 minute Red bull/ powerbar refresher, and one 20 minute monster/ MetRx "lunch" and walk.
- I didn't find a large difference in content difficulty between the different module. The second-to-last was my most difficult and I was have ing a little difficulty concentrating, but I think my brain was pre-toast.

I'm feeling pretty relieved at the moment as it was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. In NO WAY was it easy, but certainly doable. I had planned on taking this in July after the COMLEX, but I convinced myself I was not ready for it. Retrospectively, I feel I still would have done well after my COMLEX prep, but the last 6 months has filled in a lot of gaps.

Pre-COMLEX:
- Goljan mp3's 1st and 2nd years commuting to-from school. I did a ton of commuting. Highly valuable.
- Kaplan Biochem DVD(felt it was my weakest) and Micro DVD(lots of content).
- MedEssentials and FA for system-based content review. Big Robbins for reference only.
- CMMRS, know the virus charts, staph and strep algorithms, systemic mycoses, immunocompromised opportunistics.
- Costanza text for physio. Tried to review BRS physio (also Costanza), but I am strong in physio and I felt I was wasting my time.
- Lippincott pharm. Cover-to-cover, but overkill. Easy read though if you know your pharm.
- Kaplan and FA for biostats.
- Flash cards from eBay, both electronic and paper. Great way to review - at least for me - but be aware there are occasional errors. Prob went through 5-7000, really.
- BRS flash cards - Micro, Pharm, Biochem.
- (Savarese for any DO's - know the green book and you are golden.)

COMLEX - 06/08.

Post- COMLEX

UWorld - Thank god I did this. Wish I had done this before the COMLEX. Did tutor mode, took notes, looked each unknown up. I ended up with about 40 pages of topics with key notes written next to each topic. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
HY Histo, Cell Bio, Immuno. By this time it was mostly review, but they all helped tie things together and are quick reads.

One week before test:

Goljan cover-to-cover. Goes quick when it is review.
HY Neuroanat - overkill for my exam. Still good topics if you have the time.
FA cover-to-cover.
Reviewed UW notes/ answers.

UW - 100% completed, overall 68%. Last 450 questions mid 70's. Tutor, random, unused.

That's it. I have been meaning to post this for a while after my COMLEX grade posting, but never got around to doing it... been too damn busy reading. I'll update when result is in.

BTW - anyone know if it takes longer to receive your grade this time of year since fewer people are taking the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Brief Recap:
Honors in all M1 and M2 courses.
NBME1: 220
Kaplan Qbank: 72% all timed, non-tutor mode, mostly 48 question blocks
USMLEWorld: 72% all timed, non-tutor mode, all 48 questions blocks

End Result:
258/99.

Very Happy. No Regrets. Here is how I studied (from my post towards the end of June):

Took it about a week ago. Here's how I prepared:

-Didn't even think about Step 1 until year 2 was over. I studied my lecture notes as long and hard as I could and honored every course.

-At the conclusion of year 2, before even looking at FA I took the NMBE 1 and scored in the mid-220's range.

-Studied FA once through (which is more like at least 3X through because I read through each section at least 3X before moving on...some sections 5-10X depending on whether the material was familiar to me).

-Completed 100% of Kaplan Qbank with an average of 72% (all timed, non-tutor mode, and mostly 48 question blocks). Started listening to some highly recommended lecture audios.

-Completed 100% of USMLEWorld with an average of 72% (all timed, non-tutor mode, all of them in 48 questions blocks). Finished listening to those highly recommended lecture audios for the 3rd time through.

-With just over 2 weeks left I studied nothing but FA again the same way I did before starting my Qbank.

-With just over 1 week left I studied nothing but FA much more rapidly (not quite reading through the whole thing in an entire day...so just reading it once through without re-reading any sections). Doing it this way really was an eye-opener to me (I saw things I didn't notice before, really got the big picture, and consolidated information like you wouldn't believe).

-I'd say in total I read through everything in FA at least 10X.

-Also along the way I used PharmCards by reading them, paraphrasing the information and writing it out on a dry-erase board and then saying my paraphrased information outloud. The next day I would review those drugs again before moving on. (pharmacology was my weekness in my opinion...until I found it to be a strength on test day).

-Really took the last 2.5 days off from studying. Relaxed. Built my confidence up knowing that I am ready and I studied the material enough.

Test Day:

-Only took a few minute break between my first two blocks of questions so I could take more substantial breaks later in the game when I'd actually be hungry and tired (this worked great for me!)

-My first block of questions was a little shaky. Maybe I was a little nervous, but I thought some of the questions in that block were a little strange. The rest of the blocks went pretty smooth. I got through each block with at least 10 minutes to spare and went through all of them again quickly. I'm glad I did this because I know I changed a few to the correct answer for sure, and it also helped change my mindset (I always found that as I'm answering the questions I start telling myself that things aren't going so well as soon as I see 1 or 2 questions I'm not sure about...after going through the whole block and realizing that it is really just those 1 or 2 I'm not sure about, my confidence goes sky high and it helps me for the rest of the exam).

-I personally thought the exam wasn't very difficult at all. I disagree with most people who say it is a lot more like USMLEWorld because I thought plenty of questions were a lot more like Kaplan Qbank (though plenty of questions were also a lot more like USMLEWorld too...glad I did both). I am very confident that I will do even better than my % on my question banks (especially since I turned my pharm weakness into my strength).

I don't remember well enough to give a complete breakdown of the content of my exam (I guess I had better things to do at the time than keep a detailed tally in my head), but here's what I remember for sure:

-Very heavily geared towards Neurology stuff (lots of brain/brainstem/spinal cord images). Pretty much easy stuff for me though because I scored top of the class in my Neuroscience course.

-Pharmacology was really only maybe 5 questions per block (versus about 10 questions per block I was used to seeing in my question banks and getting only 40-50% of them right at the time). Too bad though, because I thought they were very easy and I'm sure I got almost 100% of them right (except for 1 HIV drug question where I didn't recognize the drug and it wasn't in FA...fair enough). Most questions were either 1-step easy ones like: "which antibiotic drug inhibits DNA gyrase?" or graphs that asked you to identify which curve corresponds to the competitive antagonist. This ups my confidence a lot because if not for pharmacology being my weekest subject by far in both of my question banks I would have easily been in the 80's% range.

-Hard to say much else about what else was heavily favored on the exam. I guess I didn't see all that much of embryology (except maybe 1 that I can think of that would have been hard if not for the fact that my embryology teacher in college was nutso about teaching us about HOX genes and I got that one right all because of her). There was plenty of micro, but not as much as I was expecting and hoping for based on the question banks (I love micro...debating whether or not I want to go into IM Infectious Diseases). A fair number of behavioral science "choose your own adventure" types of things. Maybe 2-3 sensitivity/specificity calculation type questions. I'm a little foggy about the representation of biochemistry/genetics questions. I guess I'd say there were a fair number of them, but not as scary as I expected and I think I got most of them right.

That's all I'll say for now. I think I hit a home run with this one. I'd say most of it for me was grinding it out during my 1st two years of medical school (which makes me happy I made that painful investment). I am really glad I stuck to the basics of mostly FA along with lots of questions from the question banks during my study break. I doubt I would have remembered enough of this stuff if I spread myself too thin by trying to tackle RR Pathology, BRS Phys, etc., etc. on top of everything else I already did in only 7.5 weeks. Maybe it would have been good for me to use these other books during the 1st two years, but then I would have been spreading myself too thin for my classes and I wanted to be absolutely sure I would honor all of my classes so I threw all my efforts into those lecture notes (and I think it payed of plent for me on Step 1).

Did anyone do poorly on the MCAT, but do well on the USMLE STEP I? Also, I am a very slow worker and was wondering if anyone here has similar issues but was able to do well. If so, which strategies were used.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been following this thread for a while during my Step 1 preparation and have found it quite helpful. I thought I would share my experiences for those taking the test in the future:

Studied for four months part-time while finishing second year coursework and for one month full-time (10-12 hrs/day, taking Sundays off) after classes ended.

Questions and Practice Tests:
USMLERx 70% cumulative score (completed in first two months of studying)
Kaplan QBank 82% cumulative score (completed in third and fourth months of studying)
USMLEWorld 94% cumulative score (completed in final month of studying; this is by far the best of the Qbanks)
USMLE Practice 150Q 98% (1.5 weeks out)
USMLEWorld Practice Exam 1 265+ (800) (four weeks out)
USMLEWorld Practice Exam 2 265+ (800) (two week out)
NBME1 260 (670) (two months out)
NBME3 266 (700) (five weeks out)
NBME4 275 (740) (one week out)

Resources Used:
First Aid
BRS Phys
RR Path
Goljan Audio
HY Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Embryology, Behavioral Science
Clinical Micro MRS
Microcards
BRS PharmCards
RR Biochem

Resulting Score:
279/99

Am quite happy and willing to answer any questions people may have about my preparation or experiences.

I've been following this thread for a while during my Step 1 preparation and have found it quite helpful. I thought I would share my experiences for those taking the test in the future:

Studied for four months part-time while finishing second year coursework and for one month full-time (10-12 hrs/day, taking Sundays off) after classes ended.

Questions and Practice Tests:
USMLERx 70% cumulative score (completed in first two months of studying)
Kaplan QBank 82% cumulative score (completed in third and fourth months of studying)
USMLEWorld 94% cumulative score (completed in final month of studying; this is by far the best of the Qbanks)
USMLE Practice 150Q 98% (1.5 weeks out)
USMLEWorld Practice Exam 1 265+ (800) (four weeks out)
USMLEWorld Practice Exam 2 265+ (800) (two week out)
NBME1 260 (670) (two months out)
NBME3 266 (700) (five weeks out)
NBME4 275 (740) (one week out)

Resources Used:
First Aid
BRS Phys
RR Path
Goljan Audio
HY Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Embryology, Behavioral Science
Clinical Micro MRS
Microcards
BRS PharmCards
RR Biochem

Resulting Score:
279/99

Am quite happy and willing to answer any questions people may have about my preparation or experiences.

Man! You beat Pollux's record of 276/99! You should start your own Q& A topic like he did.

One observation, though: I've noticed that both you and him started at a really high score 2 months out. It just seems the only way to get a score in the 270s is to start at 250-260 before the period of dedicated preparation (by which I mean the time when one does nothing but Step 1).

Anyway sincere congratulations!

On edit: Just noticed I've cross-posted with user "a winner is you" about the 260 two months out. You guys (bucknuts and Pollux) could have totally walked in and taken the exam two months earlier than you did.

Bucknuts, what source did you use for pictures (Rx,CT, the like)? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Did anyone do poorly on the MCAT, but do well on the USMLE STEP I? Also, I am a very slow worker and was wondering if anyone here has similar issues but was able to do well. If so, which strategies were used.
uh, that would be me! i took the MCAT twice and never reached the magic 30 mark. i consider it lucky that i even got into medical school. i had an 8 in verbal both times, and that's what med schools say is the best predictor of performance on step 1. the fact that i made a 244 on this test is very exciting to me, and i hope it encourages people who had lower MCAT scores that you CAN do well on step 1.

well done! how did you schedule studying for step I with classes those 4 months?

I had classes about 35-40 hours per week (some clinical, some basic). I went to these classes, finished up a couple of research projects I've been working on, and did no studying except from the step 1 resources (classes P/F, so no need to study specifically for them). In addition to studying, I did at least 50Q per day (always random questions) from the Rx and Kaplan question banks throughout the 4 months and reviewed the information in the question bank answers extensively. I had no more detailed schedule than that except to study as much as I (and my significant other) could stand. I ended up covering First Aid about one to 1.5 times per month during these 4 months, with the other sources covered somewhat less frequently. After classes ended, I picked up the pace of all aspects of my studying.

Man! You beat Pollux's record of 276/99! You should start your own Q& A topic like he did.

One observation, though: I've noticed that both you and him started at a really high score 2 months out. It just seems the only way to get a score in the 270s is to start at 250-260 before the period of dedicated preparation (by which I mean the time when one does nothing but Step 1).

Anyway sincere congratulations!

On edit: Just noticed I've cross-posted with user "a winner is you" about the 260 two months out. You guys (bucknuts and Pollux) could have totally walked in and taken the exam two months earlier than you did.

Bucknuts, what source did you use for pictures (Rx,CT, the like)? Thanks in advance!

The only sources I used are the ones I listed above (plus wikipedia and google searches of course). I felt like the pictures (and audio/video/etc) contained in these sources and especially in the question banks were quite sufficient. In addition, most questions on the actual test containing pictures had sufficient clues in the question stem so that one could answer correctly without even looking at the picture. For such questions, of course, one should still look at the picture to confirm the answer :)

I read Pollux's posts and Q&A while studying and found them to be generally quite helpful advice, although I adopted a study plan somewhat different from his.

uh, that would be me! i took the MCAT twice and never reached the magic 30 mark. i consider it lucky that i even got into medical school. i had an 8 in verbal both times, and that's what med schools say is the best predictor of performance on step 1. the fact that i made a 244 on this test is very exciting to me, and i hope it encourages people who had lower MCAT scores that you CAN do well on step 1.

FWIW, I got 9 on MCAT verbal (39 overall). I think that the correlation of people doing well on MCAT and step 1 comes mainly from test taking ability. Doing loads of practice questions and practice tests is the best (and maybe the only) way to improve in this regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
UWorld 100% complete 67% average. ~70-71% on the last twelve 48 question blocks I did.

Did UWorld, all subjects & unused, 48 question blocks throughout my studying. So I was getting questions on tons of stuff I hadn't done early and less so later on.

UsmleWorld Self Assessment 1-1 week out- 244
Free 150 4 days out-87% medfriends says that=253
UsmleWorld Self Assessment 2-1 day before- 254
NBME form 4 day before-690 medfriends says=259; ClincalReview says=264

Real thing yesterday was tough. I am almost certain I did worse than all those assessments say. My test was loaded with small detailed biochem, pathophysiology, and immunology of obscure things. I had maybe 1 question on bleeding disorders, maybe 1 on cirrhosis of any kind. Resp, cardio, & neuro were probably 95% of the path I had. Tons of babies: I saw this phrase a lot "couple brings in their previously healthy 'blank age' child", quit a few ethics questions, 3 audio questions, and 2 of the new sequential questions. Micro and pharm were pretty straightforward, maybe 1 or 2 in each subject that were really difficult.
After my practice tests, I was expecting to go in and know most of the questions I saw. Didn't happen. Hoping I had the maximum amt. of experimental ?'s they allow.

Be back July 15th with the update

245/99

pretty much lower than all predicted scores, but still good

MCAT: 35
Qbank (timed): 72%
Qbank self-assessment test #1: 245 (2 weeks out)
Qbank self-assessment test #2: 261 (1 week out)
Step I score: 237 (took it July 1 and got my score today)

When I started studying, my goal was anything over 230. On exam day I was expecting a 250+ but am definitely satisfied with my score. I was really hoping and thought I was capable of getting an amazing score after I got the 261 so I am somewhat disappointed. However, I want to go into ophthalmology and a 237 along with the rest of my application should definitely guarantee me a spot so I will take it. I've never worked harder or stressed more over anything in my life so I am very happy to have it over with. Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting for their scores!

FWIW, I got 9 on MCAT verbal (39 overall). I think that the correlation of people doing well on MCAT and step 1 comes mainly from test taking ability. Doing loads of practice questions and practice tests is the best (and maybe the only) way to improve in this regard.

Last time I checked, this isn't even mathematically possible. That means you got 18's in BS and PS.

Got my score today. Very thrilled. I used FA, BRS Phys, Goljan Path, and USMLE World. I didn't annotate much. I got through BRS Phys and Goljan twice, and went over First Aid probably 3 times. I did 50 questions per day for the first two weeks and bumped it up to 100 a day for the last 3 except for the last two days. I had the pharm and micro BRS cards, but didn't use them as much as I planned. My favorite tool: UW without a doubt. I only got through 81 percent of it. It is just like the step and the questions and explanations prepare you so much better than Kaplan IMO. If I could do it again I would have just started some lighter studying during the end of second year reviewing biochem and some micro and pharm cards. I would also have tried to complete UW once already before my actual studying got started and then again for my dedicated study period. This would have definitely removed a lot of stress and wasted study time trying to figure concepts out that take too long to master. I finished 81% of UW with an average of 73% starting with 50%s and ending with low 80%s. Unlike it seems every test taker in here I did not utilize the NBME tests. I think it would have been helpful to chart my progress, but I managed to do well anyways and avoid any stress when bombing the first test. If it matters I go a 35Q on the MCAT and on the real deal 264/99. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who have also jumped through this hoop.

A 279?... Damn we might as well close the thread now LOL. That's ridiculous. Seriously you win. How did you get a 9 in verbal with perfect Bio and PS scores though? Haha Sorry no hate but now you got me picturing either Asperger's or being a foreigner (lol lemme stop). Either way, congrats on the awesome score!

And G'luck to everyone still waiting!

A 279?... Damn we might as well close the thread now LOL. That's ridiculous. Seriously you win. How did you get a 9 in verbal with perfect Bio and PS scores though? Haha Sorry no hate but now you got me picturing either Asperger's or being a foreigner (lol lemme stop). Either way, congrats on the awesome score!

And G'luck to everyone still waiting!

eh, i had a similar mcat breakdown, and it had nothing to do w/ asperger's or being a foreigner. it was a mixture of depending on cliff notes + being unable to stand boring subject matter of the verbal section (18th century art:sleep:) + public school education lol

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for sharing all this helpful info on this forum. I am a long-time reader, and found these threads very helpful.

Background: poor medical student first year (P/F FTW). came into 2nd year not knowing how to draw a heart, and had forgotten almost all the review sheets/buzzwords i crammed. I worked harder 2nd year, but never was a star. Most importantly, I started doing questions early and reviewed answers carefully. Don't worry if you feel you got off to a bad start -- this exam can be studied for.

Real Score: upper 250s

Practice scores:
NBME 1 (T- 5.5 wks): 247 (*I had already completed Kaplan Qbank 2nd year)
NBME 2 (T- 4 wks): 247
UWSA 1 (T- 3.5 wks): 257
NBME 4 (T- 3 wks): 255
NBME 3 (T- 2.5 wks): 258
Free 150Q (T- 2 wks): 94%

NBME 5 (T- 1.5 wks): 255
NBME 6 (T- 1 wk): 262
UWSA 2 (3 days before exam): 265

UW: 76% (unused, random sets of 48Q. done during 6 week study period)
Kaplan Qbank: 66% (unused, random sets. Completed during 2nd half of 2nd year)

Books Used:
Robbins Review of Pathology – after UW and goljan, this is the best resource. It should be used during 2nd year.

Goljan RR – goljan is god. I read this book 1.5X during 2nd year, and 1 more time during study period
Kaplan Biochem (Hansen) – great, quick read. Covered biochem well.
HY neuroanatomy – excellent. Especially first ½ of book.
HY cell molec + bio (2nd edition) – apparently high yield
Micro – MicroCards + FA. FA is solid for micro

Pharm – just FA + qbanks. Glanced at BRS cards – they were weak. FA is solid for Pharm too

Anatomy – just FA. blah

Physio – I read BRS physio chapters throughout before path course started. Didn't bother during study period

Behavioral – HY behavioral, and also a couple chapters/qs from BRS
Embryo – FA + qbanks

I'm glad I studied with Robbins Review throughout 2nd year. Also, completing Qbank during end 2nd year made all the difference in the world. I came into study period ahead of game.

As for the exam, it's all a blur. Felt like UW w/ slightly less randomness, but more stress on important drugs/side effects UW assumes we know. Objectively, micro HEAVY, and FA actually did a great job on that.

Do a lot of practice questions. Timed. Random. Sets of 48.

Last edited:
Update on scores: 246/99

Couldn't have done it without help from this board.

Took the test today. All in all I would say that it was pretty fair, and that the majority of the questions came from things that I had seen in UWorld and FA. I had a lot of brachial plexus questions. Probably 4 or 5. I had no less than 5 questions on helminths/protozoa, stuff that I really didn't cover because everything sounds the same and I really didn't feel that it would be high yield. And who really gives a crap about those obscure infectious agents anyways? Big mistake! My biggest weaknesses probably were anatomy and micro, so maybe these subjects just stand out to me more because I waffled over those questions more than any other.

There really wasn't too much in terms of pharmacology or micro. Immuno was really easy, like so ridiculous that I actually had to read the questions a couple of times just to make sure that I wasn't missing something. Biochem was pretty heavy, a couple Km/Vmax graph questions (yeah, I'm serious) and quite a few biochem pathways with the question about what cofactor/vitamin is involved.

UWorld really helped build test taking confidence and skills - aside from the qs that I know that I missed (bracial plexus, bugs, and some really bizarre endo questions which probably weren't that hard in reality but I just wasn't seeing the connection at the time) and the few crazy questions each block that I just clicked an answer and moved on, UWorld and FA knowledge helped me either confidently answer, or at least narrow it down to two choices, pretty much all of the other questions.

If I could do it again, I would have worked a bit harder at getting through UWorld and then doing blocks of missed questions and then blocks in tutor mode of all questions including ones answered before. That would have been great review for the test.

I would say that in terms of question difficulty, most questions were around the level of those questions in UWorld that 50 to 60% of people get right. Some I could answer in less than 10 seconds, others took more time, but if your knowledge base is solid then you should be able to answer most questions fairly confidently I would think.

I definitely didn't hit it out of the ballpark but I don't think that I failed either. I'll report back with scores.

For anyone that cares, I used UWorld and FA almost exclusively, with random class notes, textbooks, and Wikipedia thrown in to flesh out information I was having a hard time with. I studied for exactly 4 weeks.

NMBE 4 (1 wk studying): 225
NMBE 5 (2 wks studying): 244
NMBE 6 (3 wks studying): 244
Free 150 (3.5 wks studying): 88%
UWorld: probably around 67% based on unused questions. Last 10 or so blocks timed unused: 70 to 80%.

Good luck to everyone whose test is coming up. :thumbup::luck: You can do it, take lots of short breaks between each block (I skipped lunch and just took a ten minute break between each block. I actually finished with 20 minutes of break time remaining, so time probably won't be too much of an issue as long as you don't take real long breaks.)

Here's my experience/schedule:

6 weeks study time
Resources: FA, Goljan, UWorld, MMMRS, HY Neuro, class notes/wiki for reference

Started by going through the basic sciences in FA. When I came to micro, I read MMMRS and annotated into FA. I spent about two days per subject, except biochem and micro, which got some extra attention, and embryo only got a day of attention. At the end of each day, which for me was around 6pm (I am useless after this time), I did UW questions related to the study material on tutor mode (unused only), annotating into FA as needed.
When I got to systems, I would spend a day going through FA. The next day I would read Goljan related to that system. Again, at the end of each day I would do UW questions related to that system on tutor mode (unused). I spent an extra day with heme/onc b/c I never really got a good handle on it during the school year. I also gave myself an extra day for neuro to read some HY (brainstem chapter is really HY, the rest is gravy if you choose to read it).
After I went through everything once, I went back and reviewed my annotated FA, and did some random, timed blocks on UW.

I did not do any NBME/UWSA practice exams :scared: ( I wanted to , but didn't have the time or money)
I did do the free 150 (86%)
UW - 60% complete, 72% overall
Real deal - 250/99

The key is to know how you study best and not get bogged down by too many resources. Always reinforce - if you don't understand something, look it up. If you come to something with a related concept, relook it up (e.g. MEN 2, medullary thyroid ca --> go back and refresh on medullary thyroid ca). Understanding and application of concepts is the name of the game.
I take LOTS of study breaks and check out pretty early (no point forcing yourself to stare at a book if its not going to stick). If I didn't finish what I wanted, I would just pick up with it the next day.
I benefit from constant reinforcement, which is why I did FA then Goljan with only subject related UW questions.
Don't push yourself too hard. You need some rest and relaxation to let everything sink in and process; take some personal days, drink some beers, see the light of day. Eating well and exercising really helps too.

Thanks to all who contributed in the past, as it helped immensely.

Over the past 8 weeks, this forum has been very helpful...

So far I've been through QBank and USMLE World about 1.5 times each, FA countless times and other random review books here and there. As for practice tests my stats are

USMLE World Self Assessment 1 750 (261) - 06/28
NBME 1 - 670 (260) - 07/01
NBME 2 - 650 (255) - 07/04
NBME 4 - 700 (266) - 07/07
USMLE World Self Assessment 2 800 (265) - 07/11
NBME 5 - 650 (255) - 07/15
NBME 3 - 650 (255) - 07/20
NBME 6 - 700 (266) - 07/23

I take the test on Sunday. I plan to relax and do nothing on Saturday. Any advice as for what to do the next 2 days? At this point I'm getting a little worried because I feel like information is slipping from my head. Also, I just feel like I'll get burned out midway through and just start freaking out. Anyone had similar feelings? Words of advice? Anything?

Thanks.

eh, i had a similar mcat breakdown, and it had nothing to do w/ asperger's or being a foreigner. it was a mixture of depending on cliff notes + being unable to stand boring subject matter of the verbal section (18th century art:sleep:) + public school education lol

No kidding...give me science questions, screw literary critique. Got a 7 on my verbal and I'm just an American white kid with no other language influences, yet I made a 260 on this thing. That "correlation" between MCAT verbal and board scores is BS.

So far 3 highest scores on SDN: 275, 276 and Mr. 279. :eek: Seriously, I am speechless.:clap: :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. Anyone 280, 283 or higher out there?:laugh:

First time poster/long time SDN follower. I've been following threads on this site since the MCAT, but taking this test was the first time I actually felt compelled to share my experiences.

I mostly just wanted to post for those who feel like studying 10+ books doesn't work for your study style. I've always been the type who learned better reviewing one thing multiple times (as opposed to multiple things one time), so I didn't feel like spreading myself thin book-wise was efficient at all. If you are like me, here's some advice:
Find a small number of really good sources that work for your studying style, and stick to them. I feel like too many people on here spread themselves too thin because there is always someone online who "swears by" some study source, so everyone else feels like they have to use it. No matter how many sources you study, there will be some facts tested on your Boards that you didn't review. In my opinion, it's better to really know the things that you did study, then to try to study more things just for the sake of studying more things.

I used two big review books (obviously one of them was FA), and Kaplan Qbank. I did NOT use uworld and did NOT ever look at/listen to Goljian. I read through FA 1.5x during the school semester (hit some of the chapters I was less comfortable with 2x, and the rest once) while really studying hard for my classes (at my school the 4th semester is basically a big review semester for boards and 3rd year). During my four weeks of Boards study time I read FA 2 more times and supplemented with a friends' Kaplan books on parts where I felt like I didn't understand FA, or that FA wasn't complete (upper and lower limb anatomy is a good example that comes to mind, but there were several others). I also did Kaplan Qbank during the second half of my school semester and finished it during my boards studying time (overall 83% first time through, random, timed, 48q blocks).

A few caveats: I did study very hard (when I say I read through, I mean I sat and spent an hour/2-3 pages in FA, trying to memorize as much as I could, and reviewing it multiple times), and did very well in the first couple years of med school. Also, I have nothing against uworld and Goljian. For all I know they very well may be better than the sources I used to study. A few weeks or so before my test, I got really nervous that I had never used them when everyone else talks about how great they are. However, I stuck to my sources that I knew were suiting my study style.

Final score: 265/99

excellent work!! i was just looking back at your experience post and thinking that we'd score somewhere in the same ballpark. :thumbup:

Thanks guys! Looks like people on the June support thread did really well as a whole.

us june test takers seemed to have destroyed the step. for all those conspiracy theorists who think there's a certain "best" month to take the exam, you have your answer now. :laugh:

hey guys , i received my score last week . i have been a silent reader of the forum , i learned a lot about how to do well on step 1 , it did motivate me to study harder seeing people score over 260 . but not every1 posting here is telling the truth . i wanted to inform people about this before ,but i waited for my score . now i come to the real story.i read a forum here dat was started by sum1 who dint score 0ver 250 and thougt all his hard work and preparation had gone down the drain coz every1 seems to be scoring over 260 here.to help those who worked hard and did a great job in passing the exam and still feeling small coz of a few posters who find pleasure lying about their score .i am gonna bust 2 of such bullsh@@@ers today.

i am a 4th year img who took the exam in june and got the result on 15 july . a few other students form my medical school also got their results and had posted their experiances here. sum of them claimed after the exam that the got almost everything rite on the exam and were expecting over 240. they are average medical students who had to even retake a few exam in second year. they recieved dere scored last week and claimed that they score over 240. told every1 in medical school posted in different forums etc etc.but they dint knw i had keyword logger in the library computer ,to record their oasis id and password.

TRUTH!!!!!- neither of them has even crossed the average 215 score. they both have scored between 200-210(wont reveal their real scores).

also they never scored over 500 in any nbme forms !!!

i know its none of my buisness ,and most of you think im an a@#h## to do such a thing ,but i did all dis so that another reader who passed the exam feels worthless coz sum1 claimed that they scored 260. so frends passing the exam itself is big enough. dont take away the credit from yourself. and to those who find pleasure lying about their score, stop doing it. be happy with what allah gave you .be truthfull as you are gonna be a doctor who will be trusted by every pt nd their family. learn to be honest and content with what god has blessed you.

about me -
i am an average medical student who never scored over 550 in any nbme forms.
i worked really hard but could only manage 218 on the exam , which is over the mean score .and i am overwhelmed by allah's grace and kindness to bless me this score.and congrats to people who really scored over 230.u guys must have worked really hard to get their. gud luck to every!!!

With a keyboad, a monitor and anonymous nickname, everyone can be anything they want to be. Everyone know that it's BS in here but they come here to learn and share experiences. Personally, I don't care if people are lying or not. I am here to learn the exam experiences and strategies.

I would like someone to give me back the time I spent trying to read the post by some illiterate person just above TXDO's.

There are about 14,000 US seniors in the match. Given a mean of 221 and SD of 23 as in the latest results, that means there are about 2,240 US med students who scored 240 or above. Is it so hard to believe that a few hundred of them might have posted in this forum?

There must be some law that gets one in serious trouble for installing spy software in a university library with the purpose of breaking into fellow students' confidential records. BTW, FMG here myself and I found the above post really disturbing both grammar-wise and ethics-wise. Guess you can't effectively have privacy anywhere nowadays, but there are privacy laws still.

Last edited:
There must be some law that gets one in serious trouble for installing spy software in a university library with the purpose of breaking into fellow students' confidential records. BTW, FMG here myself and I found the above post really disturbing both grammar-wise and ethics-wise. Guess you can't effectively have privacy anywhere nowadays, but there are privacy laws still.
yeah, that's exactly what i was thinking. and on the ethics scale, spying on fellow students significantly outweighs lying about step 1 score on an anonymous online forum. i just can't see what benefit someone would get by posting a fake score.

I would like someone to give me back the time I spent trying to read the post by some illiterate person just above TXDO's.

There are about 14,000 US seniors in the match. Given a mean of 221 and SD of 23 as in the latest results, that means there are about 2,240 US med students who scored 240 or above. Is it so hard to believe that a few hundred of them might have posted in this forum?

Haha seriously.

The scores posted on SDN are self selected in two pretty big ways that explains the extraordinary distribution. First, obviously high scorers are more inclined to post -- in fact, as can be seen in the last couple of pages of this thread, you have lurkers who register JUST to showcase their scores (lmao.. at least most of y'all at least share y'all technique though). Second, SDN already has a gunner rep :laugh: at my school I actually hide that I post here for that reason. Not hard to imagine the SDN forum visitor base are those who are already highly motivated to learn, dispense, and share techniques for academic success. Those two reasons combined makes it pretty damn unsurprising as to why you would only have scores 1-2 SDs or more above the mean represented here.. so I dunno WHY the accusation even gets levied as often as it does here. Like someone else said, what benefit would be derived from lying to a bunch of strangers? Online props?

I did some research on SDN ,may be this can help! UPDATED :)

UWorld correct%/Step1score real = from SDN

% Score real

49 218
50 213
51 232
53 195
55 233,
56 209,233
58 193,210,231
59 228,241
60 245,248
61 235,239,247
62 233,238,248
63 231,243
64 237,244
65 236,239,242,247,254
66 239,242,243,251
67 228,231,242,245,246,247,248,253
68 241,246,247,249,251,255
69 232,236,237,246
70 222,235,236,240,241,245,246,247,248,253,256,258
71 240,241,243,244,260
72 246,250,251,252,253,255,258,261
73 249,250,260,265
74 243,245,246,251
75 247,250,251,261
76 250,256,261,264
77 262
79 261,269,270
80 238,254
83 264

UWSA1 stepI result
201 222
206 232
209 240
210 245
212 214
214 221,224
216 218,233
219 223,234,237
221 249
222 231,243
223 231
224 237
226 236
228 228,252
230 237
234 232
235 248
236 239,242,243,254
238 235,238,243,244,245,247
244 237,245
248 240
245 237,255
253 261
254 246,258
257 262
260 260
261 251,267,270,273
262 258

You have big problem here:)
hey guys , i received my score last week . i have been a silent reader of the forum , i learned a lot about how to do well on step 1 , it did motivate me to study harder seeing people score over 260 . but not every1 posting here is telling the truth . i wanted to inform people about this before ,but i waited for my score . now i come to the real story.i read a forum here dat was started by sum1 who dint score 0ver 250 and thougt all his hard work and preparation had gone down the drain coz every1 seems to be scoring over 260 here.to help those who worked hard and did a great job in passing the exam and still feeling small coz of a few posters who find pleasure lying about their score .i am gonna bust 2 of such bullsh@@@ers today.

i am a 4th year img who took the exam in june and got the result on 15 july . a few other students form my medical school also got their results and had posted their experiances here. sum of them claimed after the exam that the got almost everything rite on the exam and were expecting over 240. they are average medical students who had to even retake a few exam in second year. they recieved dere scored last week and claimed that they score over 240. told every1 in medical school posted in different forums etc etc.but they dint knw i had keyword logger in the library computer ,to record their oasis id and password.
TRUTH!!!!!- neither of them has even crossed the average 215 score. they both have scored between 200-210(wont reveal their real scores).

also they never scored over 500 in any nbme forms !!!

i know its none of my buisness ,and most of you think im an a@#h## to do such a thing ,but i did all dis so that another reader who passed the exam feels worthless coz sum1 claimed that they scored 260. so frends passing the exam itself is big enough. dont take away the credit from yourself. and to those who find pleasure lying about their score, stop doing it. be happy with what allah gave you .be truthfull as you are gonna be a doctor who will be trusted by every pt nd their family. learn to be honest and content with what god has blessed you.

about me -
i am an average medical student who never scored over 550 in any nbme forms.
i worked really hard but could only manage 218 on the exam , which is over the mean score .and i am overwhelmed by allah's grace and kindness to bless me this score.and congrats to people who really scored over 230.u guys must have worked really hard to get their. gud luck to every!!!

As a reminder, posting personal information about other users will result in your account being disciplined.

As an additional reminder, reduviid bugs have two "i"s in their name.

MCAT: 35
Qbank (timed): 72%
Qbank self-assessment test #1: 245 (2 weeks out)
Qbank self-assessment test #2: 261 (1 week out)
Step I score: 237 (took it July 1 and got my score today)

When I started studying, my goal was anything over 230. On exam day I was expecting a 250+ but am definitely satisfied with my score. I was really hoping and thought I was capable of getting an amazing score after I got the 261 so I am somewhat disappointed. However, I want to go into ophthalmology and a 237 along with the rest of my application should definitely guarantee me a spot so I will take it. I've never worked harder or stressed more over anything in my life so I am very happy to have it over with. Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting for their scores!

Congrats Mr. Eyeballs! :) I am now quaking in my boots since I took it 5 days after you --- maybe I will get my score back next week? :/ :/ crossing all of my fingers and toes!

I did some research on SDN ,may be this can help! UPDATED :)

UWorld correct%/Step1score real = from SDN

% Score real

49 218
50 213
51 232
53 195
55 233,
56 209,233
58 193,210,231
59 228,241
60 245,248
61 235,239,247
62 233,238,248
63 231,243
64 237,244
65 236,239,242,247,254
66 239,242,243,251
67 228,231,242,245,246,247,248,253
68 241,246,247,249,251,255
69 232,236,237,246
70 222,235,236,240,241,245,246,247,248,253,256,258
71 240,241,243,244,260
72 246,250,251,252,253,255,258,261
73 249,250,260,265
74 243,245,246,251
75 247,250,251,261
76 250,256,261,264
77 262
79 261,269,270
80 238,254
83 264

UWSA1 stepI result
201 222
206 232
209 240
210 245
212 214
214 221,224
216 218,233
219 223,234,237
221 249
222 231,243
223 231
224 237
226 236
228 228,252
230 237
234 232
235 248
236 239,242,243,254
238 235,238,243,244,245,247
244 237,245
248 240
245 237,255
253 261
254 246,258
257 262
260 260
261 251,267,270,273
262 258

Maybe ZagDoc can make one of those spiffy line graphs with all this data.

Maybe ZagDoc can make one of those spiffy line graphs with all this data.
uwstep.jpg

To Reduvidbug

You are upset that others are being deceitful for there scores? You're the creep that has to install programs to steal others personal information. You don't have to believe what you read. We are smart enough to know that not everything on SDN is true. Thanks for the advice though.

Those that post high Step 1 scores usually provide very nice, detailed study plans. Even if they didn't get that score, I know most of those that post more than likely do. They at least have more credibility than you and your 1 post. In any case, your story and comments were useless. You are probably just upset that as an IMG w/ a 218, your chances of getting any competitive specialty just went down the toilet

Last edited:
To Reduvidbug

You are upset that others are being deceitful for there scores? You're the creep that has to install programs to steal others personal information. You don't have to believe what you read. We are smart enough to know that not everything on SDN is true. Thanks for the advice though.

Those that post high Step 1 scores usually provide very nice, detailed study plans. Even if they didn't get that score, I know most of those that post more than likely do. They at least have more credibility than you and your 1 post. In any case, your story and comments were useless. You are probably just upset that as an IMG w/ a 218, your chances of getting any competitive specialty just went down the toilet:thumbdown:

Reduvidbug stated something that many people on SDN don't acknowledge and is actually true: people who lie about their actual scores.

The truth about his post is the way he obtained this information is the most shallow and unethical way.

However, Adam 368, he is not mad because he is an IMG with a "low" score (I sense something against IMG's here... you have it easy for studying on the "mainland", it seems, consider yourself lucky). He is criticizing how people with actual low scores publish high scores here. In the end, no one gains anything from this...

Nothing at all against IMG's. I also applied to caribbean schools as well. I just have a problem with someone that has never posted before discrediting people who have been on SDN for years. I don't think anyone on this forum needs to be told that not everything is legit. If we're smart enough to get into med school, we probably know that not everything is always how it seems. Reduvidbug felt it necessary to call out all the high Step 1 scores on SDN and post his 218 score. To me, it seems he has some problems with his score.

just got score back.. 265/99 . Pretty happy with the score, esp considering I was around average in my US med school. Now to figure out what field to pursue.. hmmm

hi every1, when i wrote da above post , my intention was not to hurt or challenge any1.im deeply sorry to any1 who felt offended by my first post.i didn't realise that my method was wrong, coz i was mad when i did it.but after reading the following posts ,i have realised my mistake nd would try to avoid doing anything of such nature in the future.
well, like i mentioned before,i wrote dat post becoz people who passed the exam but did not get sky high scores feel dejected. if u go back and check threads that have students posting " i scored 215 ,do i even have a chance to get into residency" or" should i even take step 2 or there is no hope left" . i know i am not even among the average students who apply for residency programs in usa,but making to medical school ,passing the exam ,itself is a big achvment, dont feel dejected coz 5 out of 10 people posting here lyied saying they scored 270 studying 4 weeks. i did not do it out of jealousy or becoz i scored less.i believe that you get what is destined for you ,neither less nor more.it was just for those who think scoring low is a curse.

secondly,
i know my english is weak, but im working hard to improve on it,it isnt my mother tounge . you guys should understand its hard to learn a language when you have no one to speak to in ur family or frends(imagine ure told to learn arabic when ure 15, nd u have to learn nd master it in few years and take the hardest medical exam in that foreign language.)well,
.thanks again for all da concerned members for their advice,sdn has helped me a lot and even people who might have lyied did motivate me to hit the books harder. this is my last post nd hope it did help a few people reading it.may god bless every1..