OFFICIAL 2009 Acceptance Thread

Awwww, it would have been nice to actually know someone out of ~50,000 people. :laugh: Were you thinking of transferring after a year or so?
UT is where I want to end up eventually, but that may change in the next year or two... Austin was a neat place, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Ahhh, I'm actually so torn right now. I hear Cali isn't the best place to practice medicine, what with high malpractice insurance and cost of living during residency and all that, but it's one of those dream states for me. I'm guessing attending a Cali college will help truckloads when applying for their medical schools. And for some reason, I always see threads on SDN asking how to best get a residency in Cali, despite the aforementioned setbacks. What would you do in my position?

And TX is hot. :D Unfortunately I'm not near any sources of water--that sounds SO nice right now!

You're an Aggie for sure? :p

yeah no. Don't let the name "Sylvan Beach" deceive you. It is still the Gulf of mexico and just as nasty as Galveston. There is actually a sign that says please limit consumption of fish caught here to one per month to avoid mercury poisoning haha. However they STILL do the yearly triathlon in that horrible water...it is so nasty

yessir, Accepted to A&M since november, paid housing fees, set up all that I can till new student conference in the summer. Aggie engineering! Gig 'em.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any future Blue Devils here? :D If so, just shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. Good luck everyone!

Any future Blue Devils here? :D If so, just shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. Good luck everyone!

Total Posts: 318
Posts Per Day: 34.65 :eek:

Are you a new SDN addicted person like me ?

Total Posts: 318
Posts Per Day: 34.65 :eek:

Are you a new SDN addicted person like me ?

Yeah, I'm a talker.... :laugh:

I've actually been on this forum for a while, but this is my new account

yeah no. Don't let the name "Sylvan Beach" deceive you. It is still the Gulf of mexico and just as nasty as Galveston. There is actually a sign that says please limit consumption of fish caught here to one per month to avoid mercury poisoning haha. However they STILL do the yearly triathlon in that horrible water...it is so nasty

yessir, Accepted to A&M since november, paid housing fees, set up all that I can till new student conference in the summer. Aggie engineering! Gig 'em.

:laugh: A few years back, I would have said Galveston was awesome. But that was before I took a trip to the Cayman Islands. :eek:

Whooo! Congrats and good luck. :luck:

GPA: 4.0 Class rank 1/3680

ACT: 36

ECs:

Tennis champion world cup winner

Novel Prize candidate (Stem Cells research)

Medical Mission in South Africa and cured AIDs with love

Editor of Science, Nature magazine

Girls on Boat Inc CEO.

Interviewed Accepted:
Brown University - Full Scholarships
Columbia University - Full Scholarships
Cornell University - Full Scholarships
Dartmouth University - Full Scholarships
Harvard University - Full Scholarships
Princeton University - Full Scholarships
University of Pen- Full Scholarships
Yale University - Full scholarships
Cameron University

Attending

Cameron University

I know this is a joke post but Ivy's don't give merit-based scholarships

congrats anyway

you guys are all really adorable...I can't believe I was there not so long ago!!!!

It all goes by fast!

Enjoy college...it is awesome!

you guys are all really adorable...I can't believe I was there not so long ago!!!!

It all goes by fast!

Enjoy college...it is awesome!
Yep, it's life's valley, all down hill from there :D

Edit:
Did I say valley lol? I meant the opposite, hill I suppose

I got into University of Mississippi's Early Entry Pharmacy program. Great scholarships as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Princeton, Stanford. that's it :D

That's it.

I feel like kicking you tttaa, but in the nicest way possible.

Princeton, Stanford. that's it :D

Enjoy your debt as a undergrad :) I am much happier going to A&M and owing close to nothing but I did consider stanford till I realized the money I can save, but they do have excelllent engineering.

Enjoy your debt as a undergrad :) I am much happier going to A&M and owing close to nothing but I did consider stanford till I realized the money I can save, but they do have excelllent engineering.
I don't know about Stanford, but Princeton has amazing financial aid...

I don't know about Stanford, but Princeton has amazing financial aid...

And everyone ends up with a ton of debt after med school anyways. Tttaaa's will just be substantially larger. Quit raining on her Ivy parade, Kleyad.

anyone going to UC santa barbara?

ohhhhhhhhhhhh....partayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: So lucky you are going to be so close to the beach!

Alot of my friends went there...beautiful beaches, beautiful women, nice weather...

And everyone ends up with a ton of debt after med school anyways. Tttaaa's will just be substantially larger. Quit raining on her Ivy parade, Kleyad.

something is telling me he/she will not have to worry about being in debt. And I don't mean that as a backhanded comment either b/c I left Rice withy 0 debt.

something is telling me he/she will not have to worry about being in debt. And I don't mean that as a backhanded comment either b/c I left Rice withy 0 debt.

I thought Ivy's didn't give academic based scholarships though... I think that's what Kleyad's trying to say. Then again their need based scholarships are crazy good.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh....partayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: So lucky you are going to be so close to the beach!

Alot of my friends went there...beautiful beaches, beautiful women, nice weather...

stop!
you're making me excited! :D

Hah, so true. The only thing I regret about Ohio State is the weather. The number of beautiful women are directly related to the temperature. Yay Spring quarter, except it's snowing outside right now...:confused:

Hello. I guess I'll make my debut post here.

I'll be at the University of Florida class of 2013 and here I begin my pursuit of medical school.

Welcome to hSDN, DLi! Congrats about the University of Florida... I'm a bit of a Gators fan myself... especially when they're playing Alabama... and their QB, Tim Tebow...

*sigh*

Welcome to hSDN, DLi! Congrats about the University of Florida... I'm a bit of a Gators fan myself... especially when they're playing Alabama... and their QB, Tim Tebow...

*sigh*

Haha that's funny. There is this MAJOR LSU fan on my football team and when the Gators beat them my coach actually bought a Gator and keeps it in his classroom, it is only like 8 inches and has barely grown but it is pretty cool to play with

sorry for deviating from the topic but I felt compelled to say that for some reason lol.

Haha that's funny. There is this MAJOR LSU fan on my football team and when the Gators beat them my coach actually bought a Gator and keeps it in his classroom, it is only like 8 inches and has barely grown but it is pretty cool to play with

sorry for deviating from the topic but I felt compelled to say that for some reason lol.

Chomp was my favorite word for a week after Florida schooled Bama. Stupid cocky rednecks. I'm not a big LSU fan either, they're generally a pretty obnoxious crowd.

Dude, we're still talking about colleges, it's better than I normally do...

Got half scholarship to marquette, 4k to Albany. Albany's cheaper, so I'm leaning towards there, although I am in love with Pitt

As a student at Marquette, unless you're doing engineering, it's a waste of money to come here. The biology department is not great, and our business is pretty decent, but neither are worth the almost 40K a year (w/o scholarship). One of my friends is transferring to Purdue because our biology program is just not up to par with that of almost any state university.

If you want to do biomedical engineering (like me :D), come on in!

PM me if you have any questions!

As a student at Marquette, unless you're doing engineering, it's a waste of money to come here. The biology department is not great, and our business is pretty decent, but neither are worth the almost 40K a year (w/o scholarship). One of my friends is transferring to Purdue because our biology program is just not up to par with that of almost any state university.

If you want to do biomedical engineering (like me :D), come on in!

PM me if you have any questions!

I have noticed that many engineering majors are said to hard to maintain a high GPA.

What's your opinion on that ? What's your primary motivation to major in Biomedical Engineering ?

Thank you !

I have noticed that many engineering majors are said to hard to maintain a high GPA.

What's your opinion on that ? What's your primary motivation to major in Biomedical Engineering ?

Thank you !

I first started out thinking that I wanted to be just an engineer, but after shadowing my uncle, an IM doctor, I really wanted the clinical part as well.

My major right now is biocomputing engineering, which is basically designing programs that interpret inputs for medical devices from AED's, to pacemakers, to medical imaging devices, and determining what the device should do.

My real passion right now is medical imaging. I LOVE anatomy and computers/technology, so I really want to go into radiology. I am most likely going to apply to MD/PhD programs and get a PhD in biomedical engineering specializing in medical imaging (assuming I am accepted), and get a research residency in radiology. Magnetic resonance (MR) has essentially unlimited amounts of imaging possibilities, especially functional MRI. Patients and clinicians are always going to want more accurate non-invasive ways to figure out what the hell is wrong with them over invasive procedures.

I am working on this by hopefully doing some research with a PhD here on mammography interfaces and automated computer detection this summer, depending on the funding the school gets.:xf: I also would like to get a co-op at GE Healthcare Imaging (right next to Milwaukee) following my sophomore year, and continue to do research at Marquette.

I know that radiology is very hard to match into, so I would also love to be involved with neural implants and neurology. So in essence, the reason that I want to do biomedical engineering is because I am a masochist. :rolleyes:

Right now it's not terribly hard to maintain a great GPA(I have physics, bio, calc2, BME class, and computer engineering class), but that's going to change next semester. I have a 3.72 as of first semester, and should be able to get close to a 4.0 this semester.

I absolutely LOVE what I am doing, so it's really not that hard to motivate myself to do the work. This is especially true for the computer engineering class; it's so rewarding finally getting a program to work as intended after debugging.

Quite honestly, what many people say on SDN is true. Major in what you really love doing, and the grades will follow (assuming you have a certain level of intelligence, work ethic, and studying skills).

Now that you've read this, you can read War & Peace. :D

University of Miami, Florida State University (Honors College), Florida International University (Honors College), and University of Central Florida.

Biggest regret? Not applying to EVERYWHERE I WANTED TO BEFORE DEADLINES ENDED!
At least I got accepted somewhere :/
For now, it's RCSI-MUB.. Which I like :) But it has no financial aid/help. It's only got one scholarship for one student per applying year. I'd love to get it :| But being the procrastinator I am, I still haven't done the application + essay to that.
Still waiting on WCMC-Q to reply.

What I WANTED to apply to:
Various numerous Universities of California :( - Vanderbilt - BU - Baylor - Johns Hopkins - Penn - George Mason.

I'm sure there are many many more that I didn't put up there :) Yup, I had high hopes ;)

I will be attending the University of Washington, Seattle class of 2013. It was my first choice and I'm very excited to be going there.

[removal of personal information by yours truly]

Last edited:
I wanted to go to UT-Austin or Baylor, but since those schools are 40k a year (without aid or scholarships) they got thrown out. Which sucks cuz-being from missouri-i was extremely happy to get into UT. after everything, i'll be at the university of south alabama this fall. warm weather, beach, and a medical school all in one. what more could ya want? : )

Anyone coming to Ohio State? :) You know you wanna!

University of Maryland. Wait listed at UPenn. If I don't get off of the wait list, I'm going to try transferring to Dartmouth or Brown next year.

Headed to Indiana University Bloomington in the fall, planning to major in Biology!

I was accepted to:
Drexel
Kansas-Mount Oread Scholar
West Virginia
Penn State
UConn
Hofstra
St. Bonaventure
Shepherd
Utica
Kentucky
and Nova Southeastern for the 8 Year BS/DO
I debated between being a Jayhawk and a Shark but the promise of a half tuition scholarship and a DO was too much to pass up.

GPA: 4.0 Class rank 1/3680

ACT: 36

ECs:

Tennis champion world cup winner

Novel Prize candidate (Stem Cells research)

Medical Mission in South Africa and cured AIDs with love

Editor of Science, Nature magazine

Girls on Boat Inc CEO.

Interviewed Accepted:
Brown University - Full Scholarships
Columbia University - Full Scholarships
Cornell University - Full Scholarships
Dartmouth University - Full Scholarships
Harvard University - Full Scholarships
Princeton University - Full Scholarships
University of Pen- Full Scholarships
Yale University - Full scholarships