OFFICIAL 2008 Interview Invite Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have slight interviewing issue that I thought i would throw out there to see what yall think....

Got an interview offer from school X recently and I have to tell school X within a short specific amount of time if I'm coming or not. The thing is, I have already interviewed at school Y and it is way up towards the top of my list (possibly #1 depending on a few other interviews) but definitely above school X. I will hear from school Y soon, but not soon enough for school X's deadline (will hear a couple days after the deadline).

If I don't get into school Y, then I would definitely want to interview at school X. BUT, if I agree to interview there and then find out I got into school Y, I don't want to retract a confirmed commitment but nor do I want to go to an interview knowing there is a slim-to-none chance I will be going there.

Thoughts?? Should I just say yes (in case I don't get into Y)?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone had heard about any acceptances at Wash U or at Vanderbilt? Thanks!

On the acceptance thread it says 2/11 for the A&S side. I asked about the Peabody side and haven't seen/read anything about it.

eta: haven't seen/read anything that was a definitive yes having heard from them (cause there was a post about a person hearing from a person that may get an offer if some other person turns down some other offer, etc)

If I don't get into school Y, then I would definitely want to interview at school X. BUT, if I agree to interview there and then find out I got into school Y, I don't want to retract a confirmed commitment but nor do I want to go to an interview knowing there is a slim-to-none chance I will be going there.

I do think you should just say yes. And if you do get an acceptance from school Y then you can cancel the interview. They will be happy to give it to someone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have slight interviewing issue that I thought i would throw out there to see what yall think....

Got an interview offer from school X recently and I have to tell school X within a short specific amount of time if I'm coming or not. The thing is, I have already interviewed at school Y and it is way up towards the top of my list (possibly #1 depending on a few other interviews) but definitely above school X. I will hear from school Y soon, but not soon enough for school X's deadline (will hear a couple days after the deadline).

Blind Chaos-- Are you applying to some sort of MA/PHD program? I do not know for a fact about PsyD, but I do know for a fact that by APA regulations, schools are NOT allowed to force you to commit. By APA guidelines, you have until April 15 to decide, and all schools know this.

EVEN IF they are waiving a financial aid deadline in your face, they know they are acting against APA regulations...hold on, I will look this up for you.

Okay...according to the "Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology," "By APA regulations, you have the right to consider offers until April 15, at which time an offer may be withdrawn. To protect appliacants from making hasty, premature decisions, all APA-accredited programs and most others have agreed to allow candidates until April 15 for a final decision (or the first Monday after April 15 if April 15 falls on a weekend). This is in accordance with a resolution adopted by the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States in 1965, approved by 317 Universities and colleges, and further modified by the Council of Graduate Departments of Psychology (COGDOP) in 1981. As presented in the Graduate Study in Psychology, this resolution reads as follows:

Acceptance of an offer of financial aid (such as graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by an actual or prospective graduate student completes an agreement which both student and graduate school expect to honor. In those instances in which the student accepts the offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which the commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer by an institution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of the written release from any previously accepted offer. It is further agreed by the institutions and organizations subscribing to the above Resolution that a copy of this Resolution should accompany every scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, and assistantship offer"

Therefore, in my view, you have a few options..

1. Carefully and politely ask the institution which is pressuring you if they adhere to this deadline. Don't be rude, but simply ask for clarification ("Oh, I just wasn't sure, because I had heard that the APA guidelines were that I had until April 15th to decide...are your institution's policies different?")
2. Accept the offer of this school, and then when and if you get accepted to the other school, accept THAT offer, and rescind your acceptance of the other schools. ****This is considered bad form, but as seen above, it is allowable until April 15, and besides, the institution pressuring you is acting in bad form as well, and they know it.****
3. Write off the institution that is pressuring you. As a professor at an interview told me, "If this is how they treat you BEFORE they have you hooked (breaking rules they know they shouldn't break and hoping you are ignorant of said rules), how will they treat you when you're locked into their program for five years?"

Hope this helps!

Don't let yourself be pushed around into making a decision you are uncomfortable with!

*Clarification* School X is pressuring me to accept or decline an interview offer ASAP, not an admissions offer. I have to tell them within 48 hours if I'm coming to interview or not.

Oh, that changes things!

I accepted all interviews. I think it increases your chances greatly, and opens your possibilities.

Even if X is not your first choice, they may offer you better financial aid or research positions. After visiting, you might like their practicum sites better. That is what I have found.

I have 3 interviews...the school which I expected I would hate has become my first choice, and my original top choice didn't look so favorable upon the visit.

You can learn a lot in an interview. Even if it is expensive, I think it is an important expense so that you can look back later and feel like you made an informed choice of your graduate school

...Thoughts?? Should I just say yes (in case I don't get into Y)?

Yes.

And I would encourage you to interview. It is good to explore all opportunities -- you applied to the school for a reason. They just might surprise you. The cost and time investment to interview is small compared to the investment of the next five to seven years of your life.

Received a personal email invite from the admissions director from Wright State U. today for an interview on 03/07 for their clinical psych Psy.D program!

Good luck all!!

Funny, I checked the webportal again to see the status (I know they barely received your transcripts xlittlemissalix) of my application and now it says:

Admission Status: DEPARTMENT REVIEWING FILE FOR PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY Admission Status Date: FEBRUARY 13, 2008 Application Basis: SATISFACTORY GPA
So nice to know that 5 days after they extended invites, the department began reviewing my file based on my "satisfactory" GPA :thumbdown:

I also have not heard anything from SDSU/UCSD, but I did email them and they said they have extended interview invites...

I keep hearing about the psychoanalyzing at GWU interviews...I didn't think the Ph.D. program was psychoanalytic, just the Psy.D...Can anyone clarify?

FYI, I applied there last year and got diddly-squat from them. Never even got a rejection. I think they're really bad communicators. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about the 2nd date, but the first VA Tech interview date is tomorrow. I got a phone call from my POI a couple of weeks ago (sorry, I just discovered this forum), but I have no idea when they'll contact people for the 2nd date.

I interviewed last week at American. I had three individual interviews, one with a student and two with a single prof. at a time. In between we could talk to current students in the lounge. We also had lunch together with profs and students so we had more time for casual discussions.

Hope this is helpful.

Anyone know if Virginia Commonwealth is still contacting people for interviews?

So I have been invited to interview at school X in social psyc and I got this email from one of my POIs

Dear Owlettkh:

I am very much looking forward to meeting and chatting with you at our visitors weekend in March. Since my research is focused on intergroup emotions I was particularly interested in your work on trust and of course group identification. I am sure that you will have many good opportunities for graduate training given your excellent credentials and training, but we look forward to the opportunity to try and encourage you to come work at School X. We have many excellent faculty who are expert in the areas you're interested in, and I for one would be very pleased to have you working on my lab. Here's a little more information about the visitor's weekend, and I look forward to meeting with you. Please say hi to (one of your recommenders) for me.

best
POI

Now I think this is a good sign since this POI is now the third prof to contact me, but how much should I read into this? I mean it sounds like the interview is just a formality? Am I right?

Thanks!

Now I think this is a good sign since this POI is now the third prof to contact me, but how much should I read into this? I mean it sounds like the interview is just a formality? Am I right?

Thanks!

that's awesome! i'd guess, unless you are truly inappropriate (respond to everything with 1 word answers, get drunk at the meet and greet, say things like "now, hitler wasn't such a bad guy...") you are totally in!

Members don't see this ad :)
that's awesome! i'd guess, unless you are truly inappropriate (respond to everything with 1 word answers, get drunk at the meet and greet, say things like "now, hitler wasn't such a bad guy...") you are totally in!

Agreed. I would never consider an interview 'just a formality' until I had the acceptance letter in my hand, but I would say things are looking VERY promising at that school. Congratulations!!!

Hey All,

Just wanted to share the news that I got my first interview invite from the University of Hawaii which will be scheduled next week.

YAY!!!

Now, I just need to concentrate on not getting too nervous and bombing it...

Much to my surprise, I got an invite to interview at PGSP-Stanford today. I pretty much thought I was rejected. So don't lose hope!

There are three interview dates: 2/26, 3/10, and 3/17.

I'm going on 3/10. Anyone else going? :)

Does anybody know when University of Michigan is contacting canidates about interviews?

Does anybody know when University of Michigan is contacting canidates about interviews?

Interview days are 3/7 to 3/9, if you haven't heard from them you are unlikely to hear from them at all. They send their rejections after April 15th usually.

Mark

Interview days are 3/7 to 3/9, if you haven't heard from them you are unlikely to hear from them at all. They send their rejections after April 15th usually.

Mark

Actually, they do send out rejections to round 1 early on (over a month ago, now) and round 2 a little later....to keep the short list handy. But, interviewees have already been contacted for interview weekend.

I actually got my rejection letter from them 2 days ago :thumbdown:

Actually, they do send out rejections to round 1 early on (over a month ago, now) and round 2 a little later....to keep the short list handy. But, interviewees have already been contacted for interview weekend.

Ahh... I always got late letters from them. Maybe that was a better sign than I imagined. It was a huge reach program for me and I wasn't a great fit, but since it was free to re-apply, I did.

Mark

Hey guys

I was wondering....has anyone heard from the following in regards to interview invites?

UNC Charlotte - Health Psyc Ph.D
UNC Greensboro - Clinical Ph.D
ECU - Health Psyc Ph.D

I'm feeling a little lost... as in lost in the shuffle. I haven't heard anything from any schools yet.. no interviews but no rejections either. Part of this I am afraid might have to do with me disconncting my phone to move to Mexico for 6 months. The schools no about my plans and that they can contact me via email or my parent's contact info but should I contact them again to remind them? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

ECU is interviewing on March 1st, I just heard from them the week before last. not sure if there are other interview dates as of yet.

hope it helps

I'm feeling a little lost... as in lost in the shuffle. I haven't heard anything from any schools yet.. no interviews but no rejections either. Part of this I am afraid might have to do with me disconncting my phone to move to Mexico for 6 months. The schools no about my plans and that they can contact me via email or my parent's contact info but should I contact them again to remind them? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

If there's a chance you missed their call you can just try giving them a call and ask about the status of your application. I'm sure they would realize how to contact you though. Most schools don't send rejection letters until they've filled all of their spots.

Anyone hear from Harvard yet? I'm surprised to still not see them on the list!

I applied to their social psyc program and I havent heard anything yet....I guess if no ones heard its not bad news yet...

I aplpied to their clinical psych program, and haven't heard a word...
(Yes, I know it's not accredited) :)

One of my friends had a phone interview with her POI from the clinical psych phd program a couple of weeks ago. But she hasn't heard anything else as far as I know

Has anyone heard from Clark? Interview were a little over 2 weeks ago...

Has anyone heard from Loyola MD? I interviewed there last Friday (the 22nd) and one of the current students mentioned that she heard back from them the Monday following her Friday interview last year. Just wondering if that's the case this yr.

Thanks!

Anyone who interviewed at Yeshiva's Ferkauf last month hear back yet? Tick- tock...

hey, nope- the professor who interviewed me said i should hear from them in about a month, and that was on january 29th, exactly four weeks ago....
i hope we hear from them soon!!

Does anyone know how to find last years acceptance thread?

The Ferkauf program for School-Child said they would let people know after March 6th I believe.

I found last year's last evening and it looked like Ferkauf was REALLY disorganzied- some people had heard by mid-march and others were accepted into the MA program but not the PhD... it seems like a really long time (I interviewed on the 29th also...)

Does anyone know how to find last years acceptance thread?

The Ferkauf program for School-Child said they would let people know after March 6th I believe.

I interviewed at GSU 10 days ago and was wondering if anyone got offers there yet? and when is it appropriate to ask them when we should expect to hear from them? considering they didn't make it clear at the interview!

i just called the admissions office just to confirm we'd be hearing from them soon, and the woman told me we would hear "by the end of march"
UCH !!!

what a tease to do the interviews so early if you will not notify early as well... ugh twice.

Hi all.

I am kind of new to this process and don't know much about how it all works. I have interviewed at three schools (clinical Ph.D. programs), and they all said they will have made their decisions by sometime this week or next week. I am just kind of curious, how do they usually contact you? And will they contact you even if you are not accepted or if you are on the alternate list? Thanks!!

Check the acceptance thread to see the ways people have been accepted (phone call from POI, email, etc)

i just called the admissions office just to confirm we'd be hearing from them soon, and the woman told me we would hear "by the end of march"
UCH !!!

which school is this??

Has anyone interviewed at Duquesne? That is the next one coming up, and I haven't seen much about others' experiences...

Anyone know anything about reapplying to PsyD programs? I only applied to three schools, have not yet graduated from college, and did not get into any of them. Have I killed my chances of ever getting in?

Anyone know anything about reapplying to PsyD programs? I only applied to three schools, have not yet graduated from college, and did not get into any of them. Have I killed my chances of ever getting in?

from what i understand, you should be fine. if you were someone with years of research expereince and clinical experience high test scores and gpa, and you interviewed at all three and didn't get in, then i'd say it would be unlikely that re-applying to those programs would help. but for someone who just may need more experience, maybe stronger scores, and to apply to more schools:), you should have no problem re-applying to those schools.

even if you have interviewed there, barring some sort of serious social faux pas, if you think you didn't get in after the interview due to lack of experience or direction, then even then if you strengthen your application, i think you'd still have a shot.

Reapplying isn't bad, as it happens to a lot of people trying to get into clinical psychology.

This year I tried not to reapply to the same schools thinking it wouldn't work...but the two that I did reapply to I got interviews with! So don't lose hope, and in the end, a year off was the best thing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.