Official 2006 ROL Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRMICKEY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to see other people's ROLs and their thought processes. So here goes:

1-Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (best combination of clinical experience, research, fellowships that take their own residents, city, etc)
2-UNC (happiest, most enthusiastic residents I saw, great overall program)
3-Brigham & Women's (the name, weak ultrasound training and cost of living in Boston kept it from being higher)
4-Yale (great chairman, research, etc., New Haven is the only negative)
5-Duke (great cost of living in area, loved chair and PD)
6-NYU
7-Brown/Women & Infants
8-Northwestern
9-Beth Israel Deaconess
10-Cornell
11-Johns Hopkins
12-Columbia
13-Einstein/Montefiore

Sorry for only commenting on my top 5. Basically, I think all these programs are excellent in their own way and it came down to personal choice. I don't really have a "safety," but I felt with 13 I'd match somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

DRMICKEY said:
I think it would be interesting to see other people's ROLs and their thought processes. So here goes:

1-Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (best combination of clinical experience, research, fellowships that take their own residents, city, etc)
2-UNC (happiest, most enthusiastic residents I saw, great overall program)
3-Brigham & Women's (the name, weak ultrasound training and cost of living in Boston kept it from being higher)
4-Yale (great chairman, research, etc., New Haven is the only negative)
5-Duke (great cost of living in area, loved chair and PD)
6-NYU
7-Brown/Women & Infants
8-Northwestern
9-Beth Israel Deaconess
10-Cornell
11-Johns Hopkins
12-Columbia
13-Einstein/Montefiore

Sorry for only commenting on my top 5. Basically, I think all these programs are excellent in their own way and it came down to personal choice. I don't really have a "safety," but I felt with 13 I'd match somewhere.

Ok, did anyone else feel like puking at 9:00.

1. UAB - best in the country for onc as far as I'm concerned
2. UNC
3. MUSC
4. UVA
5. Duke
6. University of Kentucky
7. Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
8. University of Oklahoma
9. Carolinas Medical Center
10. UC - Irvine
11. Tufts/ New England Medical Center

Here we go....

1. NYU: LOVE nyc. loved the program with the combo of bellevue and tisch. residents seem happy.
2. Tufts-NEMC: LOVE boston. like exposure to different hospitals. residents are happy
3. Hospital of the Univ of Pennsylvania: it's PENN. other than that...it scares me. it is by far the best institution i interviewed at and had to rank it high. how could i pass up the opportunity?
4. Pennsylvania Hospital: residents were awesome and i loved the faculty. i love their exposure to adolescent medicine, abortion training, and their emphasis on training the generalist.
5. Univ of Vermont: LOVED this program. got a great feel. residents were great. they really fit with my ideal training. great exposure to midwives. neg - 3 residents/yr.
6. UMass: ranked this one high bc my husband would liek to be near a big city. residents were happy. i liked the faculty. worcester is close to boston.?
7. Asheville - Mountain Area Health Ed. Ctr: lots of exposure to midwives and privates. some abortion training if you want. Neg: q4 call. my husband would hate it.
8. Washington Hospital Center: ranked this one 8 for my husband. seems like a good community program.?
9. MUSC: honestly, too cush. on the interview day we never really saw the PD or chair. the resident was the one to show us around and stuff and really emphasized the amt of time the group spent going "out" (drinking it up) and that she never felt overworked. while that is great, i want to come out experienced and well-trained. also, not abortion-training friendly.
10. Carolinas Medical Center: very southern conservative. virtually no abortion training. most of the residents from the south. almost all married. lots with kids. just not my cup of tea.
11. Emory: who knows. considered not even ranking, but i am too much of a ***** to do that.
12. Univ of MD: see number 11.

I am expecting to end up at number 4 or 5. Yowzas!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I was so tempted to keep making last minute changes.

Can you tell us know which programs you were referring to when you mentioned people in Onc retiring?

DRMICKEY said:
Yeah, I was so tempted to keep making last minute changes.

Can you tell us know which programs you were referring to when you mentioned people in Onc retiring?

Reportedly Creasman and Underwood at MUSC are on the retirement track, but Creasman has been on that track since my friend Amy (now an Onc fellow here) was a resident there. Not sure what the timeline is, probably sometime in the next 2 years cause Amy is a 2nd year fellow and they offered her a faculty spot.

1. Yale - Dyn-o-mite chair; friendly, normal, smart residents; smart, strong faculty; HUGE in research
2. Duke - Great PD, good surgical concentration, happy residents, Sweet Climate
3. BID - Happy friendly residents. Quality training. Oh yeah, nice digs.
4. Brown - Excellent hospital all for OB/Gyn (and the associated infant). Focused on residents. Successful placement.
5. Northwestern - Great surgical training. Big, happy resident class. New hospital. A lot of chatter about too much private physician BS, though.
6. Brigham - Pompous.
7. UCSF - Clearly, a very strong, special and unique program for the right resident.

If you are thinking Yale, feel free to PM me to compare notes.

1. Brown: LOVED it!
2. OHSU
3. Brigham
4. Norhtwestern
5. UNC
6. Tufts
7. BID
8. Univ. of Washington

Keep posting them! It's fun to read and totally safe to tell everyone now!
Good Luck everybody!!!

I can't believe it is now officially out of our hands!! Good luck to everyone!! I hope March 16 brings smiles!! :) :) :)

Ta daaaaaa here's mine!

1. Cornell (LOVED the residents, LOVE NYC, think if I end up here I will definitely be working very very hard though)
2. Brigham (eeh the name, what can you say..but I agree..very pompous...but I do love boston)
3. DUKE (Perfect program, just not so into Durham)
4. Yale (Heard rumors about problems with OB numbers and some interns leaving but still great name and great program)
5. Brown
6. BI
7. Pitt
8. Emory
9. UNC
10. Tufts
11. UVA
12. MUSC

Still freakin' out that this is all over and we have to wait THREE weeks!!!! Anyway, here's mine (sorta-- I couples matched and there are complicated combinations etc)

1. UCSD
2. Northwestern
3. UC Irvine
4. OHSU (I LOVE these top 4... will be super excited about any of them!!!)
5. U Chicago
6. George Washington
7. UCLA
8. Minnesota
9. UIC (not sure how this made it up so high... but mainly to complement a program my partner is obsessed with ;) )
10. Hopkins (would have liked to rank higher but my sig O wasn't crazy about U Maryland or B'more in general)
11. UC Davis
12. Kaiser LA
13. Washington Hospital Center
14. UCLA Harbor
15. Rush
16. USC
17. Maryland
18. UT Memphis
19. Georgetown

Didn't rank: emory (vetoed by my other half)

Come on people, post your rank lists. It's fun to see what other people were thinking.

1. Brown - solid program, happy people, developing research division
2. U of Mich - small class size, good training tradition, solid research
3. Johns Hopkins - training...good, Baltimore...bad
4. Mayo - research/surgical training make it a prefered choice, Rochester bad
5. Duke - excellent, but couldn't shake off feelings of hidden malignancy
6. Southwestern - good training/reputation, faltering academia (research)
7. Harvard - not my bag baby
8. U of Minnesota - fellowship options not available in-house

Well...there it is my friends...exposed! Let me know what you think.

Hey Dr. Butcher
maybe i'll see you at Brown! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
1. U of Rochester (NY)-solid academically, extremely friendly/laid back residents, great research, Fred Howard international expert on laparoscope and pelvic pain, have sent residents to fellowships and have a couple (MFM, Urogyn) in house, only rotate through 2 hospitals, cheap standard of living ( I can maintain my Donald Trump lifestyle, albeit not in NYC). Negatives are: location, snowy snowy, vag surgery numbers a bit low, and location.

2.Pitt-Magee-great numbers, very busy, work with "experts" in every field, many fellowships but train excellent generalists, research division off the hook incredible, ob/gyn hospital (I thought this was a plus, others might disagree). Negs: residents/atmosphere seemed quite intense, maybe even "cut throat" but I guess if I end up there...when in Rome...

3.Brown-friendly residents, definately the best taken care of, though seemed a bit over worked, but the additional 8th resident should help. Sent three residents into REI but lost the division head so don't know how that will pan out. Great exposure/relationship with midwives. Negs: hospital charting system/orders etc still all paper, the Women's ER was a real zoo staffed only by residents, medicine clinics each week during the first year I believe, which the residents did not care for that much.

4.HUP-the name by itself has it in my top 5, I think it has all of the fellowships in house, great research, loved the PD and the new chair, residents seemed a bit intense but still quite friendly. Neg: one of my interviewers told me that in her opinion the place does not give you the best training if you want to be a generalist!

5.PennState
6.Pennsy
7.Emory
8.Duke
9.GW
10.U of Maryland
11.USC
12.UC Davis
13.Washington Hospital Center
14.Lehigh Valley Hospital
15.Reading Hospital

Couple of other points:

I'll be ecstatic to land at any place in my top 4, very happy at anyplace in my top 8...and pray that I don't drop below my #10! But I'll be successful and make the best of it whereever I end up.

Also, I was deemed unworthy of an invitation to interview at The Brigham and I notice many of you have it ranked quite low on your lists. Just wondering if/how the impression they made was that poor? Now I'm thinking I should have just left my ROL blank so I could scramble into one of the several open spots I'm sure they'll have!

okkkkkkkkkk

1. Hopkins (loved the training and the people) Baltimore isn't as bad as the impression you get if you only look at the area around hopkins. + closer to family
2. Stanford (I had THE MOST difficult time choosing between number 1 & 2 I LOVEED PALO ALTO, the program was good, people seemed happy. but I decided I would be better trained at hopkins;
3. Northwestern -- close to family; great training;

I'LL BE TOTALLY HAPPY AT MY TOP 3.

4. Yale -- again close to family; good program
5. Mayo
6. Iowa
7. Duke
8. Maryland

just a note: i didn't rank columbia (thought their attitude was awful) I also didn't rank Wash-U (they seemed over-worked and didn't like St. Louis --but the faculty were really great!)

Here's my list...a little funky due to couples matching

1)Brigham-MGH:I actually didn't come across an overwhelming amount of pompous people on my visit...go figure
2)NYU
3)BID
4)Pitt-Go Steelers!
5)Brown
6)Baylor-Houston
7)Tufts
8)UCLA
9)UCI
10)Vandy
11)Cleveland Clinic
12)Miami

Ok here's my list
1. Georgetown- close to home, I really liked the residents & attendings
2. Cedars-Sinai-close to significant other's hometown & plus I love SoCal, went to undergrad in Cali
3. Sinai Hosp of Baltimore-loved the program, residents were great, and it is relatively close to home
4. Brigham & Women's- I liked the residents, great program, but not too sure about that Boston weather
5. Franklin Square Hosp-close to home, liked their curriculum, but it was a little too small, only 3 res/yr
6. Thomas Jefferson Univ
7. White Memorial Hosp
8. Washington Hospital Center
9. Jackson Memorial/University of Miami

I'd be really happy at any of my top 5, and just ok at the others. Didn't rank Einstein/Montefiore.

I would like to stand up for the Brigham/Mass Gen Prog. Someone needs to. Like I told many of you before, I did a subinternship there. The residents and faculty were great individuals. The type of health care providers you would aspire to become. I had some great role models! In addition, the chairman is wonderful and really cares about our futures (hence the article on leadership)!!! I know that it's hard to sometimes not judge a book by it's cover, but this is a fine example of why you cannot tell what a program is like based on an interview date. Even if I don't end up there, I'm sure that those of you who do will not regret it. Lastly, if you do end up there, do not take it for granted. Plan accordingly and be sure to get the most out of the opportunity during your four years.

Much luck in the match!
community

Here's my list:

1. Johns Hopkins
2. Mayo
3. Washington University
4. Northwestern
5. Iowa
6. UW-Madison
7. BIDMC
8. Loyola
9. University of Minnesota
10. Emory
11. Metrohealth/Cleveland Clinic
12. Medical College of Wisconsin

1. UCSF (very reputable, nice location)
2. UCLA (location great, but residents spend tons of time driving to different sites)
3. UC Irvine
4. UC Davis
5. UC San Diego
6. USC (great surgical training with lots of autonomy for residents)
7. Stanford
8. Univ. of Colorado (my favorite program by far, except it's in Denver...)
9. Kaiser San Francisco
10. Santa Clara Valley Med Center

Community, How does the rest of you ROL look? I'd like to hear your thoughts on other programs...

community said:
I know that it's hard to sometimes not judge a book by it's cover, but this is a fine example of why you cannot tell what a program is like based on an interview date.

I totally agree with you on this - Making a 4 year decision based in large part on a few hours of interviewing is pretty close to ridiculous. Like basing treatment on an uncontrolled medical study with n=4 or something crazy low.

I came away down from my MGH/BW interview feeling down, and in the context of the time pressures of the interview season there was no way I was going to try and investigate it, or any of the other programs that didn't seem 'right' after the first meeting, any further. I had other inteviews, and had to look harder at programs that 'won' the interview day charisma game. It's really a shame, because obviously your point of view after a sub-I is immensely more relevant and better informed.

I really question the utility of the match. Whatever its merits, it forces a cattle call approach to making a list. I would very much appreciate a traditional interview->offer->acceptance/decline procedure so that you could focus your attention on your preferred institution and if they indicate that they don't want you, you can move on to the next. In such a system you can respond to the way programs react to you. Getting great feedback? Shoot higher. Getting dinged? Aim lower. Not getting responses ? Widen your net.

Every other graduate program works this way. Undergraduate recruiting works this way. If you like a program, send in your CV. They can call you or decline, just like in the match. If you have a good interview, they can call you back for more, or give you an offer. Or give you a ding. And you can accept or move on to the next. There could be some national 'rules of engagement' - limits on exploding offers, restrictions on early offers, minimal decision times, etc., but I don't think these need to be too restrictive because other professional schools generally operate with minimal restrictions and do OK.

I resent the implication that medical students are too weak, vulnerable, or otherwise unable to act like professionals when entering the marketplace. The Match pulls away flexibility, adds uncertainty, induces delays, and forces reliance on terribly small quantities of actual information about your fit with a program. Whatever benefits graduates derive from this system are minimal in comparison. And I haven't even addressed many of the issues raised in the antitrust lawsuit that got killed a year or two ago.

OK, so I'm frustrated that I have to sit for nearly a month while the NRMP (operated by the AAMC, those same jerks who royally fouled up our medical school applications 4 years ago) mainframes work so diligently on coming up with the match. I'll bet my PDA could work the algorithm in about 10 nanoseconds. Medicine as an operational enterprise is so often stuck in its belief that the old way is the best way. And I think we as resident applicants are stuck in an inefficient and decidedly suboptimal rut because of it.

Good luck in the match all!
community

braxtonhicks said:
Here's my list:

1. Johns Hopkins
2. Mayo
3. Washington University
4. Northwestern
5. Iowa
6. UW-Madison
7. BIDMC
8. Loyola
9. University of Minnesota
10. Emory
11. Metrohealth/Cleveland Clinic
12. Medical College of Wisconsin

Hey Braxtonhicks -- maybe we'll end up together next year!!

I know a lot of you guys still haven't posted! It's really fun to read what other people finally decided -- keep it coming guys :love:

I am a resident at the Brigham and am surprised that people found "pompous" attitudes here. One of the most attractive elements of this program was how down-to-earth and easy-going the residents and attendings were. I am sorry some of you came away feeling we were stodgy or pompous. I assure you that is not the case. I wish you all the best of luck on the upcoming match. For those who are fortunate enough to end up here WELCOME ABOARD!

Sincerely,
Whifftest :D

My list:
Utah
Pitt
Northwestern
BIDMC
Yale
New Mexico
U Chicago
Minnesota
UC Irvine
Hopkins

Here's my list:
1. Lenox Hill (NYC) - Yes, a surprising choice. And it was a VERY difficult choice to come to. But I have known 3 grads of the program (one of which is now an attending) and they have nothing but great things to say about the program. Great surgical experience with a wide variety of attendings. I do not plan on practicing Ob, so this was a great option for me. Although there are a lot of private patients, there is still a lot of hands on and decision making by the residents. Residents are great and very happy. I've seen rumors on this board about a lack of ancillary services, but I've heard nothing to support this. I simply think that this is the program and city in which I will be the happiest.
2. Columbia (NYC) - I had a great interview and really like the program. But I have heard awful things from a past resident about malignancy. Although things may have changed in the past few years, I continue to hear rumblings of unhappiness from people connected with the program.
3. St. Lukes - Roosevelt (NYC) - Great program and exposure to cases with their 2 hospital system. But I was told repeatedly that they are only 80 hours on paper and work much more than that. Second and third years get 3 weekends off per year. Despite this workload, the residents seem very happy.
4. MUSC -I spent a month rotating here and really loved it. The residents are very happy and get along great. But I had trouble acclimating to the south. I was called a "Yankee communist" in the OR and it took me a while to figure out what the "War of Northern Agression" was.
5. Duke - A wonderful program, but I still have concerns about living in the South. As a single woman, this is not a place I want to live for 4 years. One of the single female residents recently transferred because of malignancy and lack of a social life.
6. UMass - Loved the program, residents, and staff. Didn't love Worchester.
7. UMaryland - Didn't get the best feeling during interview day.
8. Emory - Please, don't let me match here!! Residents seemed miserable.

Looking back, I wish I had applied to more programs. I wasn't sure what I was looking for when I first applied. But in the end it all came down to location. After working 80 hours, a want a place where I have a lot of options for fun on my day off. Being single, I look forward to being in NYC where dining or seeing a movie alone is not frowned upon.
Best of luck to everyone!!

Can March 16 get here any sooner???

1. University of Washington: Did an away rotation here and loved it. I loved the residents, loved the faculty (well, most of them), love Seattle, and loved several little details about how UWMC provides care and little details that make resident's lives a little easier, like rounding as a team on the gyn-onc service. I interviewed here first, and if there were an early admission/early decision process for residency, I would have committed to UW without interviewing anywhere else.

2. Stanford: There wasn't anything that really stood out to me as unique about this place, but something just felt right on interview day, and the residents seemed happy and close-knit. I really like their established international connections, and they seemed to have good fellowship opportunities. I have a lot of family and friends in the bay area, and this was as much a location and comfort decision as anything else...

3. Kaiser SF: I agonized over ranking a community program so high, for fear that it might limit my fellowship opportunities, but after a discussion with a trusted mentor, decided to just take the leap. This is a very cool program with good numbers, a very supportive and enthusiastic PD, and seemingly great teaching. They also seem to have some interesting connections with UCSF that would allow me some of the benefits of that program (i.e. world-class family planning experience) without having to go through as much of the competitive environment that UCSF residents seem to experience. Also, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of learning the Kaiser model of health care and benefiting from all the cool technology they have available.

4. Kaiser SAnta Clara: I came away from my interview day thinking this place was Pleasantville. There is a gorgeous brand new facility with state of the art technology, happy shiny residents, and a super enthusiastic, supportive PD. Some aspects of the program were more attractive to me than Kaiser SF (teen clinic at a local high school, 2nd trimester terminations on site, better electronic medical record keeping and ordering vs San Francisco which still uses paper medical records), but I think the connection with UCSF and the location in San Francisco led me to pick SF over Santa Clara. I was also more comfortable with the night float system at SF than the traditional call schedule at Santa Clara. I would be thrilled to end up here though.

5. University of Colorado: I loved this program and loved the idea of living in Denver. I originally wanted to rank them #3, but ultimately felt it was more important to try to stay closer to friends and family on the west coast, and now that many states are passing ridiculous laws to try to limit womens' reproductive choices, I can't help but worry about moving to a red state! I will be happy to end up here though - I might never sleep in the wintertime here because I'll be snowboarding every free minute I have!

6. OHSU: My home program. I love this place, but want to have an experience somewhere new, and I just never quite felt like I fit in here. Don't know why.

7. University of Pittsburgh: What a fabulous program!! Next to UW, this was my favorite. I loved the residents I met, and the program seemed world class. Ultimately, I couldn't get into the idea of living in Pittsburgh, and I don't want to be so far from anyone I know.

8. Beth Israel Deaconess: My interview day was totally underwhelming. I went into this one with very high expectations and was pretty disappointed. I loved the international health emphasis and the opportunities that BI has, but something just didn't feel right. Maybe I just felt lost in the shuffle with the 40 other applicants interviewing that day.

9. USC (Southern California): I really liked everyone I met on my interview day. The dedication and passion emanating from this place was truly inspiring. I hate to admit how shallow this is, but on the tour of the hospital, I pretty much concluded that I couldn't spend 4 years (or even the one or two years until they move into the new hospital) treating patients in the s*#@thole that is the womens' hospital. It would just be too depressing. I also couldn't rank them higher given the continued probationary status.

10. University of New Mexico: I really liked this program and really felt that they wanted me, but I couldn't see myself living in Albuquerque, and I really don't want to be at a program that doesn't have any elective time.

11. University of Hawaii: I really thought I would like this program. They have great volume, and who wouldn't want to live in Paradise? I just wasn't feeling it, and there is no elective time.

UW was far and away my favorite, and I will definitely be disappointed if I don't match there. But, I am not the most competitive applicant, so who knows what will happen. I will be very happy to match anywhere from #2-8. #9-11, well...better than having to scramble.

Good luck everyone!!

Bump!

If you're reading this, you should post your ROL. The computer algorithm has already been run, so don't worry! It will just help us kill some time waiting for the next 7+ days.

I second that...Post 'em!!

sorry...too scared...bad karma....product of a failed couples match last year so i am extremely geographically limited(husband already started his residency)....sweating bullets here...i'll probably puke before it's over....but best of luck to y'all...seems like a lot of good programs on your lists:)

Thank god those days are over... Best of luck to you guys. I must say that across the board, talking with friends at several programs, the caliber of the applicants was high this year. Looking forward to working with the ones of you that match with us at the Hospital Center!

BIDMC
Pitt
UofChicago
Yale
Wisconsin
UAB
OSU
Cincinnati

1. Carrilion Roanoke, VA --exactly what I wanted from a community program. Great subspecialty teaching, solid numbers, lots of cases/deliveries. Nice little town as well. I felt that resident education was a strong priority, the program is incredibley stable (recent 5 year accreditation) and if for some reason I change my tune and want to get a fellowship I feel the subspecialists on board here really could help make that happen.
2. UCSF Fresno- this one was close to home for me, which bumped it a bit. But it seemed like a solid enough community program, with an infusion of new faculty and a new hospital that make it seem like a program on the rise.
3. Univ of New Mexico-super cool place. Great faculty, loved the atmosphere. Training seemed very oriented to community practice, but in a University setting.
4. Grand Rapids, MI-absolutely loved this place. Too bad it is in MI.
5. USC/Palmetto-i cannot really say why I put this program here. Just sorta happened that way, I guess
6. USC/LA County-Of the Ca programs that I interviewed in, this was likely the strongest. But, lots of issues with this program.
7. Eastern VA- felt like a decent program on the rise, but they had recent accreditation issues that made me nervous. I just got the feeling on interview day that I wasn't getting the real picture.
8. Riverside-nice hospital and benefits, questionable training.
9. Washington Hospital-not a fit for me
10. Monmouth, NJ-better than not matching
11. UCLA Harbor-very, very marginally better than not matching. Thought about not ranking them

1. Yale
2. Johns Hopkins
3. NYU
4. Columbia (only reason it is so high is geographic)
5. Brigham
6. UPenn
7. Cornell
8. Brown
9. Einstein
10. Northwestern (only reason it is so low is geographic)
11. BIDMC

1. OHSU
2. Pitt
3. Brigham
4. UWashington
5. UNC
6. UMich
7. BIDMC
8. Duke
9. Brown
10. Beaumont

How weird?! My ROL that disappeared two weeks ago finally appeared on this thread... hmm. Hope that didn't really happen when the NRMP was trying to run the algorithm! ;)

1. nyu
2. columbia
3. einstein
4. bidmc
5. mt sinai
6. NJ - newark
7. yale
8. north shore
9. kaiser SF
10. kaiser santa clara

(i'm trying to be in new york or at least in the area...)

I love looking at these match lists. But they all make mine look very "community" to put it nicely....is everybody going for the big name spots? It seems like only a few community programs are getting any love, and these seem to be psuedo-community anyhow (the Kaiser programs come to mind for this group).