Official 08/05/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nirs90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone..who is taking MCAT on 5th Aug,2011. How u all preparing???

Members don't see this ad.

WHEW!

Up from a 28R (9P/11V/8B) in May to a 32O (10P/12V/10B). I'm so relieved! Congrats everyone else on your scores :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems as though the average scores from this and the 8/06 thread are higher than usual...must be a smart bunch...

36O!!!!
VR9 PS14 BS13

Retook after 32Q on May 26th (8,12,12). I didn't do much studying in between the retakes so I feel like MCAT is basically half luck...

36O!!!!
VR9 PS14 BS13

Retook after 32Q on May 26th (8,12,12). I didn't do much studying in between the retakes so I feel like MCAT is basically half luck...

sounds like me. I just got my Aug 6th scores back and I got a 12P 10V 14B S up from an 11 8 11 Q on June 16th. I only studied for the 2 weeks after I got my original scores back before i rewrote, and I only did 1 full length in that time. This test is so stupid.

4/2010 13 PS 7 V 10 B = 30N
8/05/2011 14 PS 9 V 11 B = 34N

I'm done with this exam forever. I can't believe that I can finally move on with my life.

Not quite sure whether I should be happy or not.

38R
15 PS
9 VR
14 BS
R WS.

Perfect 4.0 GPA and very strong EC and research resume (papers, conferences, you name it)....Gunning for top schools . If they reject me because of the 9 screw them. I am set for mid-tier schools and most Canadian schools anyways.

retaker here

PS: I usually do well here, finishing with plenty of time, but I was in panic mode! I literally didn't even read the last three passages! -- just went straight to the questions and referred to the passage as needed. Blind guessed on a few, and realized during the break one I definitely got wrong. (don't you hate when that happens?) Was expecting a really solid performance here, but now just hoping for at least an 11 (what I scored the first time)

VR: After that demoralizing PS, I was thinking "void" already and had a hard time concentrating. Was scoring 10/11s the week prior with 6-7 min/passage. Here I took about 10 minutes on the first passage and felt like I rushed the rest. Barely got through them all. Definitely harder than I expected, but probably also because I couldn't believe that PS section. (scored a 6 the first time so I'll take anything above an 8 lol)

BS: Besides some ochem "educated guesses", I found it pretty easy. I can't say specifics, but TBR definitely helped me here! I finished with about 10 minutes. I think I did really solid here and probably the only reason I didn't void. Hoping for at least a 12. (scored 11 the first time)

And now we wait.......

PS: 13 (+2)
VR: 9 (+3)
W: M (-4) (I really didn't care to write because I thought I might void anyway lol)
BS: 14 (+3)

36M up from 28Q

I suppose I'm wondering whether that M will affect anything. I've heard the writing score doesn't count for anything, but... meh whatever, I'm ecstatic!!

So happy!

5/22/10: 22T (5V, 8PS, 9BS)

8/06/11: 33P (12V, 10PS, 11BS)!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I finally checked my scores...

Verbal: 9
Physical Sciences: 11
Biological Sciences: 10
Writing Sample: Q

Composite: 30Q

I only took AAMC 8-11 before I took this test.
AAMC 8: PS 10 / VR 10 / BS 10 = 30
AAMC 9: PS 12 / VR 10 / BS 11 = 33
AAMC 10: PS 12 / VR 10 / BS 10 = 32
AAMC 11: PS 11 / VR 10 / BS 10 = 31

Averages: PS 11.25 / VR 10 / BS 10.25 = 31.5

Seems like I hit all of my averages except for VR... which I missed by just one point. Knowing how the MCAT works, I could have been just one question away from a 10 on VR. My goal was a 32 with at least a 10 in each category. I'm not really happy, but I'm not really upset either. I don't really know how to feel, to be honest. I know that a 30 is still a good score, but I guess I was hoping for a little better.

29O (9/10/10)

I'm dissappointed but not shocked (except that I thought physical sciences was easiest and that turned out to be my lowest). My GPA is decent but not stellar, and my aamc's were consistently 32-34 by the end, so I think I will most likely re-take. I just wanted to be done with it all :(

Honestly, you must be crazy to not be ecstatic with that score. If you have all of the credentials listed, you are good to go. Quit obsessing.

38 is competitive at all schools. All schools have a median MCAT of 36 or below, except WashU whose median is 38.

Obviously the poster is not worried about the 98+ percentile 38 composite score as much as the 70th percentile 9VR. It could potentially be an impediment at top schools.

I don't think it would be a deal breaker. I don't think it would make him gain/lose an acceptance if he had a 13, 11, 14 instead of what he has right now.

I don't think it would be a deal breaker. I don't think it would make him gain/lose an acceptance if he had a 13, 11, 14 instead of what he has right now.

In Canada it would and the OP mentioned that he was applying to Canadian schools. Some of them have strict cut-offs for VR (10 or above) and some only look at your VR score, so the OP's concerns are valid.

All in all though, 38 is a beast score.

For the above posts.

Thank you everyone for your replies and comments.

The 9 was a result of my ******ed testing center (very angry at them ever since). I didn't have 60 minutes for verbal. I had around 57 mintutes because the computer froze every single time I changed a page. 3 minutes may not sound like a lot. Because of that 3 minutes, I had to guess on one whole passage (read it within the 57 time limit already....3 minutes would have been more than enough for me to at least do 4-5 questions MINIMUM). I submitted a complaint about 30 minutes right after my exam was finished. NEVER GOT AN ANSWER. My practice average was anywhere from 10-13. I decided not to void because I knew I did well in all the other sections.

And Yes I am applying to Canadian schools, but honestly I have very little interest staying in Canada. I don't really care (to be very blunt) about the strict cufoff schools (Queens and Univerity of Western Ontario). They are not even ranked in the top 40 medical schools in the world, especially for UWO.

Also, I have seen on MDapplicants people getting interviews at all major Ivy Leagues and schools ranked in the top 20 along with 6-7 acceptances at Ivy Leagues and Wasington in St. Louis with a similar score (in particular, one girl had 14, 9, 15 R....accepted into Yale, UCSF, Washington, UCLA...). With the level of my EC, I think that I am gonna be just fine.

It will be ******ed (probably will happen) that I will get interviews at Ivy schools in the States with my EC, GPA, and MCAT and got cutoff straight from Queens and UWO. It's quite ironic really considering the school rankings.......

IF you want to see my full profile, go to the Whataremychances thread under please help 4.0GPA and 38MCAT.

By the way, ESL 4 years ago, currently speaking perfect English without an accent. I would think that the R in essay writing says a lot about my English ability.

Last edited:
For the above posts.

Thank you everyone for your replies and comments.

The 9 was a result of my ******ed testing center (very angry at them ever since). I didn't have 60 minutes for verbal. I had around 57 mintutes because the computer froze every single time I changed a page. 3 minutes may not sound like a lot. Because of that 3 minutes, I had to guess on one whole passage (read it within the 57 time limit already....3 minutes would have been more than enough for me to at least do 4-5 questions MINIMUM). I submitted a complaint about 30 minutes right after my exam was finished. NEVER GOT AN ANSWER. My practice average was anywhere from 10-13. I decided not to void because I knew I did well in all the other sections.

And Yes I am applying to Canadian schools, but honestly I have very little interest staying in Canada. I don't really care (to be very blunt) about the strict cufoff schools (Queens and Univerity of Western Ontario). They are not even ranked in the top 40 medical schools in the world, especially for UWO.

Also, I have seen on MDapplicants people getting interviews at all major Ivy Leagues and schools ranked in the top 20 along with 6-7 acceptances at Ivy Leagues and Wasington in St. Louis with a similar score (in particular, one girl had 14, 9, 15 R....accepted into Yale, UCSF, Washington, UCLA...). With the level of my EC, I think that I am gonna be just fine.

It will be ******ed (probably will happen) that I will get interviews at Ivy schools in the States with my EC, GPA, and MCAT and got cutoff straight from Queens and UWO. It's quite ironic really considering the school rankings.......

IF you want to see my full profile, go to the Whataremychances thread under please help 4.0GPA and 38MCAT.

By the way, ESL 4 years ago, currently speaking perfect English without an accent. I would think that the R in essay writing says a lot about my English ability.

UWO is a great med school.. top 40 ranking don't mean anything. All ontario schools offer you the same opportunities after your degree...

30R!! 10PS 10VR 10BS

I'll take it! Although it's not a stellar score, it's enough to get in. I am ecstatic for this score because I thought I bombed the bio section. I took the MCAT 07/16/2011 with 8/5/10Q and was devastated with my verbal score. I decided to retake it two weeks after receiving my score on 09/03/2011only to be heart broken again with 9/4/9Q!!! I was in disbelief. I didn't spend more time studying this time, but I used better resources and did more practice. I don't think I was prepared to take the test last year, and even this summer, I wish I had worked less at my job and more on my exam. i did not even practice writing so I'm definitely happy about the R. time to hand in those apps! yaaaaay!!!