Offered ABIM Research Pathway for GI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiliaryBay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY-1 MD (no Ph.D) with a decent amount of research experience and publications. Last week, I was rounding with our IM PD and he told me to consider doing the ABIM Research pathway for GI since I have a strong interest in academics and research. I spoke with our GI PD, and he said he would offer me a spot!

Now I know most people would immediately jump on any spot for GI, but after looking over the requirements for the pathway, I'm not sure I will be able to be certified in EGD, Colons, and ERCP/EUS if I choose this pathway.

Can anyone let me know what their experiences have been with the research pathway for GI? Also, during your research years are you "required" to dedicate all of this time to research, or can you continue doing consult months to increase your procedure numbers?

Thanks a lot!
BB

Members don't see this ad.

Now I know most people would immediately jump on any spot for GI, but after looking over the requirements for the pathway, I'm not sure I will be able to be certified in EGD, Colons, and ERCP/EUS if I choose this pathway.

Can anyone let me know what their experiences have been with the research pathway for GI? Also, during your research years are you "required" to dedicate all of this time to research, or can you continue doing consult months to increase your procedure numbers?

Thanks a lot!
BB

Without knowing the specifics of your program, you should still be certified in EGD and colonoscopies. It's increasingly more difficult to be certified for ERCP/EUS during general GI fellowship, especially at large academic medical centers, since there are more and more advanced endoscopy fellowships. Since you are considering the ABIM track, I assume that you are at a big academic center, so it's not surprising that you don't get much ERCP/EUS training. This is really no great loss if you are considering an academic career, since advanced therapeutic endoscopy fellowship is almost required to be competitive for academic jobs.

Also, when you are in your research years, often you still have continuity clinic and maybe one 1/2 day of endoscopy per week to help keep your skills sharp. There may be an odd consult month in there somewhere as well (but obviously less than your clinical track colleagues). Depending on the program this is not always negotiable. If you are on the research track, then you are expected to be productive (ie. publications) within that pathway.

Last edited: