# of US Senior Applicants vs. Matches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silvertip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many U.S. seniors, in recent years, have applied to Rad Onc, and what percentage of them matched? I really like everything about Rad Onc except getting in! Thanks.

The Bear

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there -
I dont know how many applied but there were 117 spots this year which all filled. This was quite a few more than there had been in previous years. I know that some big programs had about 250 applications. Maybe that means that about 400 applied? Just a guess. Anyone have a better information?
Ann

I agree with Ann, I have heard there were about 400 people applying for Rad Onc this past year. Don't know how many were US vs. FMG. These 400 people were fighting for 107 spots (not 117). So, its about a 4:1 ratio. That's a tough match but not impossible. Great board scores helps, but making connections is more important. If you want to get in, get to know the PD at your medical school. Do research for the PD at your medical school. Show enthusiasm to the PD at your medical school. If you do these things you will increase your chances of matching substantially as your home program will probably want you. In addition, do an away rotation to make more connections. Above all else, show enthusiasm! This may be more important to some PDs than grades or board scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that its that critical, but it looks to me like there were 117 spots. 10 spots that were PGY1 and 107 that were PGY2. Isn't that right?

I agree with all AlexJs advice. esp. the research with PD. Thats a great idea if you can do it.

what would you guys do if your school is not affiliated w/ a medical center and you want to enter a competitive specialty?

btw, last year i started a thread about DOs and Rad onc. After people told me that there were DOs in rad onc i did some researc and found LOTS of DOs in chief posistions., etc. it then occured to me that most of them were older and probably entered the field when it was v.non-competitive. as a future DO, i don't think i would stnd a chance. but i would like to get an answer to the above for other specialties as well. thanx. susan

there was a harvard grad that didn't get placed -- that should go to tell you how competitive this field has become! one way to enhace getting in is if you mentioned and are truly interested in academia. There is a shortage of rad onc faculty, so an interest is a plus!