Of the top 4, how do they rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feenix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I understand that the Top 4 Carribean Medical Schools are AUC, Saba, Ross, and SGU.

But how do they rank between themselves or are they all pretty equivalent? Does anyone know?

I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

So I understand that the Top 4 Carribean Medical Schools are AUC, Saba, Ross, and SGU.

But how do they rank between themselves or are they all pretty equivalent? Does anyone know?

I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Thanks!

Others will probably disagree but I would rank them in this order:

1. SGU
2. Ross
3. AUC
4. Saba

It's all a matter of opinion and skewed methodology (e.g. US News rankings). Still, I think this will be an interesting poll so I'll put in my two cents...

1. SGU
2. AUC (tie)
Ross (tie)
3. Saba

Members don't see this ad :)
I tend to agree with bwells46.

are all 4 accredited?

Others will probably disagree but I would rank them in this order:

1. SGU
2. Ross
3. AUC
4. Saba

I would rank them in this order as well. And just for kicks, I remember when I was reading this forum back in 2002 before I matriculated to SGU, only "the big 3 existed." There was no honorable mention for Saba.

of those schools, is there one that higher rates in students getting US residencies? or how do they rank?

of those schools, is there one that higher rates in students getting US residencies? or how do they rank?

Probably in the same order as above. For SGU, ~99% of eligible US citizens get residencies.

There is no ranking the 4 schools.

People rank them according to where they go (or where the grass seems greener). The truth remains that the VAST majority of all of the students who go to these 4 schools will end up in primary care (IM, FM, Peds) or Psych & OB/GYN.

No matter how special we think we are, only about 10% (or less) would potentially benefit from SGU's slightly more competitive placements. The majority will just end up paying $50,000 more to get the same IM or FM residency that would have been attainable from any of the other 3 schools.

Go to the school that will benefit YOU in the long-run. For example:

small vs. large classes
big and "modern" island vs. small and "primitive" island
student support vs. self-learning

Even though many perfer Ross over AUC, Ross' "reputation" won't help the person who learns better in AUC's smaller classes versus Ross's 300+ classes.

Etc etc etc...

There is no ranking the 4 schools.

People rank them according to where they go (or where the grass seems greener). The truth remains that the VAST majority of all of the students who go to these 4 schools will end up in primary care (IM, FM, Peds) or Psych & OB/GYN.

No matter how special we think we are, only about 10% (or less) would potentially benefit from SGU's slightly more competitive placements. The majority will just end up paying $50,000 more to get the same IM or FM residency that would have been attainable from any of the other 3 schools.

Go to the school that will benefit YOU in the long-run. For example:

small vs. large classes
big and "modern" island vs. small and "primitive" island
student support vs. self-learning

Even though many perfer Ross over AUC, Ross' "reputation" won't help the person who learns better in AUC's smaller classes versus Ross's 300+ classes.

Etc etc etc...

What's up McGill! McGill's actually correct. There is NO real ranking to the caribbean medical schools, there is just perceived perception and opinions being thrown out here. And being on the caribbean forums all day exposes all of us to this.

What it boils down to: It all depends on how you do on your boards and clinical rotations, your personality, and a little luck that determines how good of a residency you're going to get.

Someone from SGU with mainly Cs and a 190 on step 1 isn't going to be as competitive in whatever specialty you're going for as someone with a 245 on step 1 and honored all his/her clinical grades from St. James School of Medicine.

Sadly, most residency programs just lump all the caribbean schools together in one pile along with the other FMG's.

Other things come into play as well...like visa issues etc....but for the most part, your overall application (board scores, research, grades, LOR) are probably more important than which of the Big 4 caribbean schools you attended.

What's up McGill! McGill's actually correct. There is NO real ranking to the caribbean medical schools, there is just perceived perception and opinions being thrown out here. And being on the caribbean forums all day exposes all of us to this.

What it boils down to: It all depends on how you do on your boards and clinical rotations, your personality, and a little luck that determines how good of a residency you're going to get.

Someone from SGU with mainly Cs and a 190 on step 1 isn't going to be as competitive in whatever specialty you're going for as someone with a 245 on step 1 and honored all his/her clinical grades from St. James School of Medicine.

Sadly, most residency programs just lump all the caribbean schools together in one pile along with the other FMG's.

Other things come into play as well...like visa issues etc....but for the most part, your overall application (board scores, research, grades, LOR) are probably more important than which of the Big 4 caribbean schools you attended.

How much does research help with getting a residency? Right now, I have 7 publications and should have two more by the end of the year.

How much does research help with getting a residency? Right now, I have 7 publications and should have two more by the end of the year.

It depends on how much the residency program emphasizes research. Maybe also how relevant your research experience is to the field you are applying for.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on how much the residency program emphasizes research. Maybe also how relevant your research experience is to the field you are applying for.

It's all involving nephrology and chronic kidney disease.

It's all involving nephrology and chronic kidney disease.

Might help with a urology residency.

Considering you will not have access to research in SGU (no matter what people try to say).

There is NO real ranking to the caribbean medical schools, there is just perceived perception and opinions...

There goes that Gad'amned perceived perception gettin' in my ways again, just afters I is gon' and figured out the internets (j/k) ;)

Now, if I could just have more of the perceptions with less of the perceiving...

it helps if you have research in the field you are actually applying into.
other than that non related publications shows you are able to commit to academic medicine and put out something of value to the medical community. this is a lot more helpful if u are applying to an academic program rather than a community program.

bottom line, it helps if you are applying to a specialty that you have research in, if its unrelated- it doesn't help so much but better than not having any research at all.

nephro research good for internal medicine and possibly transplant surgery??

Good addition to the thread.

It all comes down to how well we did on the steps and the relationships we cultivated during clinicals (i.e. LORs).

It all comes down to how well we did on the steps and the relationships we cultivated during clinicals (i.e. LORs).

And/or the relationships you developed after hours while on the rotation. Residency Directors need lovin' too. :D I'm just sayin'...

And/or the relationships you developed after hours while on the rotation. Residency Directors need lovin' too. :D I'm just sayin'...

:laugh:

Somehow, that makes me think it will end with me cowering in the corner of the shower trying to scrub away the dirtiness....

anybody interview with Dr. Becker for SGU?? Just wondering. He is an SGU Med graduate as you would assume. Just wondering who everyone interviewed with and how it went, your impressions. Thanks.

Hey guys, I've been accepted for Ross, Fall 2007 class. The reason I chose Ross was due to the previous two Match results which seemed to yield more stellar residency positions at more prestigious programs vs. SGU. Any thoughts? Has this been an ongoing trend or is it just something that you get depending on the caliber of the class?

Hey guys, I've been accepted for Ross, Fall 2007 class. The reason I chose Ross was due to the previous two Match results which seemed to yield more stellar residency positions at more prestigious programs vs. SGU. Any thoughts? Has this been an ongoing trend or is it just something that you get depending on the caliber of the class?

You can't go wrong with Ross or SGU. I've looked at both match lists: in the past couple years both are comparable.

What about Saint Matthew's University? What do you guys think of that school?

What about Saint Matthew's University? What do you guys think of that school?

I've heard its getting better. But its still disapproved in California and a few other states. Definitely not in the league of SGU, Ross, AUC, or Saba yet.

Someone wrote: the VAST majority of all of the students who go to these 4 schools will end up in primary care (IM, FM, Peds) or Psych & OB/GYN.

Is this by choice? Or due to the fact that they cannot get into other residencies? Does anyone have statistics on what percentage of residencies are in primary care, etc, and what percentage are in more specialized fields? Is the match rate for the 'competitive' residencies significantly lower for Caribbean graduates (US citizens) as opposed to US grads?

Someone wrote: the VAST majority of all of the students who go to these 4 schools will end up in primary care (IM, FM, Peds) or Psych & OB/GYN.

Is this by choice? Or due to the fact that they cannot get into other residencies? Does anyone have statistics on what percentage of residencies are in primary care, etc, and what percentage are in more specialized fields? Is the match rate for the 'competitive' residencies significantly lower for Caribbean graduates (US citizens) as opposed to US grads?

1.Is this by choice?: Difficult question to answer. Many will go into these fields because that is what they want. More will go into these fields because they *perceive* that they are not competitive for more competitive fields, based on board scores, school attended etc. ( Some of these individuals are correct in their assessment. )

2. Statistics? : I suggest you take a look at the websites of the various schools, locate their matchlists for the past couple of years. This should give you a rough idea of the breakdown. I am unaware of official statistics pertaining to the type of information you request.

3. Match Rate for IMGs sig. lower? in competitive residencies: Yes. It stands to reason that more "competitive" residencies would attract more candidates, right? Well, many of these places will use the fact of an applicant being an IMG as a "strike" against them. So, lets say there are 500 applicants for 7 positions ( not uncommon in fields such as plastics, derm, Rad. onc etc. ) The Residency program needs to filter applicants for interviewing, so they might set a Step 1 score of 230 (arbitrary) as minimum for an interview. This cuts the field down to 220 applicants. But seeing as how the residency program is only going to offer 100 interview this year they need to cut the group down further. IMGs are often cut out at this stage, as the residency group is assured of a large group of *qualified* AMGs. Some IMGs may make it to interview at these institutions, but oftentimes they have done audition rotations here, have a contact, outstanding research which sets them apart etc. There are variations on the above, but that is basically how it works. Unfortunate, perhaps, but every year IMGs do land more competitve residencies. These students tend to have better USMLE scores, and are well educated with respect to the Match, and how to make it work for them ( ie. which programs have a history of accepting IMGs, stellar LORs, well though out clinical schedules etc.)

Hopefully that answered your questions.