# of patients per 12 hour shift

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Arghhhh! I hate that. Common courtesy, people, that's all I'm asking. If you want me to be your dumping ground, fine. Just the tad bit of courtesy of a simple, brief phone call if you know they're coming in. Grrrr.

Actually, we get a lot of notification, and it pops up on epic as a Hold bed with something asinine like "ED to see: coming from FM clinic with pneumonia". Really? If you want them admitted, call your damn residents and have it sent to the floor. I don't make things happen faster just because we order it from the ED. Trust me, our lab doesn't prioritize for our patients.
The really stupid ones are "ED to see: chest pain r/o". I can't rule out non-cardiac chest pain in the majority of patients from the ED. At least not the ones that they can't rule out from the clinic. If it is costochondritis, don't send it. If you send over anyone with an EKG, I call your residents before the labs result, because that's why the patient was sent over, to r/o coronary disease. No cardiac CT/ED obs/stress tests done in my department.

Members don't see this ad.

I have to agree with Southerndoc. I tend to see as much as him. Thats probably because we work with the same ED group. He can also attest i bet that we have attendings that are much faster than us and who are making a ridiculous amount of money.

It is very tiring. If they were 8's, they would be less tiring I feel.

I have to agree with Southerndoc. I tend to see as much as him. Thats probably because we work with the same ED group. He can also attest i bet that we have attendings that are much faster than us and who are making a ridiculous amount of money.

It is very tiring. If they were 8's, they would be less tiring I feel.

Not sure how many you saw last night, but I ended up with 38. Didn't have much acuity though. 1 ICU admit and only 5 admits (3 at the end of my shift). Not sure why the charge nurse batched them right as you were going home. As soon as you left, she brought back 6 people from the waiting room.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure why the charge nurse batched them right as you were going home. As soon as you left, she brought back 6 people from the waiting room.

Grrrrr! My head is about to explode.... I HATE it when they do that!

Take care,
Jeff

Grrrrr! My head is about to explode.... I HATE it when they do that!

Take care,
Jeff

They love to do that here too. Wait for 6 discharges, then wait for all the rooms to be clean, and instead of one at a time, bring back all 6 at the same time.

They love to do that here too. Wait for 6 discharges, then wait for all the rooms to be clean, and instead of one at a time, bring back all 6 at the same time.
Patients get pissed when they are the last in the line of 6 to be seen and it takes you 60-90 minutes to see them. Then the nurses are overwhelmed because suddenly everybody needs an IV. The lab gets 6 peoples' blood at one time. The tech has to do 3 or 4 EKG's at one time. 6 people now need medicines. There are now 6 x-rays to do.

Of course not everybody needs something, but when you batch patients like that from triage, it just trickles down to overload everybody.

Patients get pissed when they are the last in the line of 6 to be seen and it takes you 60-90 minutes to see them. Then the nurses are overwhelmed because suddenly everybody needs an IV. The lab gets 6 peoples' blood at one time. The tech has to do 3 or 4 EKG's at one time. 6 people now need medicines. There are now 6 x-rays to do.

Of course not everybody needs something, but when you batch patients like that from triage, it just trickles down to overload everybody.

True but asking a nurse to room a patient in the hour before shift change is like asking her to fly or breathe underwater.

Yeah, but the good news is that the one nurse bringing them back from triage only has to walk back once. That's certainly worth all the other pain, right?

Take care,
Jeff

My favorite.
"Why do you all keep discharging everyone at the same time?"

Retort. "Everyone has the same length of stay. It isn't my fault they all got brought in at the same time."