# of interviews.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't see it being a matter of where adizz applied. I would have thought anyone from Northwestern with a 260+, good grades, and recs could apply to any 20 programs and be just fine.

I wasn't talking about him in particular, a few other ppl had posted good stats and less than 10 interviews. Clearly their stats are not the issue, otherwise he and other ppl would have had a lot more interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Another in the somewhat nervous camp.

Top 20 school, 260s Step 1, no Step 2, average clinical grades. Really sharp ERAS photo

35 applied
7 invites (including an auto invite from my home school)
4 rejections.

This makes absolutely no sense. Top 20 medical school?

i agree it makes no sense. what types of schools did you apply to? i would think you would have more than that for your school and scores. what were your EM rotations like?

maybe no SLORs yet?

it's ok. the sharp picture thing is a joke. i am not throwing "blue steel" or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a slor from one of the biggest names in the business.... not helping one iota

You didn't write 'yolo' in your PS, did you? I think that would be an auto-reject, lol.

30% Stats, 30% rest of application, school, geographic locale, 30% complete randomness, 10% magic.

Applied to 36, 14 interview offers, 3 rejections (thankfully none were places I really cared about), cancelled 3 interviews, and since I had a fair number of interviews I withdrew my application from 4 programs that I wasn't as interested to check out. I could have applied to less programs but I am not from the west but have some interest in going out there so I figured it doesn't hurt to try. For future applicants, up until last week I had 0-2 invites/week until last week when I had 5 interview offers and all 3 rejections. It's a waiting game!

Step 1 230's, Step 2 240's, honors in all core rotations but 2, EM home-honors, EM away-high pass, top 1/3 of class, several pubs including one first author, 2 SLORs, 2 LORs.

Applied to 19, interviews at 10, 1 rejection. Haven't heard a peep from 8 of them, and at least 3 are programs that I'm really really interested in.

Step 1 high 240s, Step 2 mid 250s, 2 SLORs (1 home, 1 away), top 1/3 of the class at a not big named school, minimal extracurriculars

Honestly thought 19 was overkill considering the advice I was given by EM faculty. I am just glad to be at 10 right now.

Applied to 19, interviews at 10, 1 rejection. Haven't heard a peep from 8 of them, and at least 3 are programs that I'm really really interested in.

Step 1 high 240s, Step 2 mid 250s, 2 SLORs (1 home, 1 away), top 1/3 of the class at a not big named school, minimal extracurriculars

Honestly thought 19 was overkill considering the advice I was given by EM faculty. I am just glad to be at 10 right now.

You're looking good w/ ten. Finally someone that didn't cave into the panic. I also thought 22 was overkill but I guess we might have been wrong.

You're looking good w/ ten. Finally someone that didn't cave into the panic. I also thought 22 was overkill but I guess we might have been wrong.

I did 24 and it was overkill considering that I'm sitting on 18 right now and withdrew from 5 so far. But to be honest, I have no idea where I really want to go and looking at the places that I have right now I could see myself at any of them. Plus, you have quite a few programs that are top tier, which could be dangerous come rank time if you only ranked those programs.

I'm at 24 offers out of 29 applications. One rejection. I have already cancelled some interviews and will be cancelling more within the next couple weeks. Waiting to hear from the other programs is painful.

Top 25% of class at Top 40 school, Step 1 250s, Step 2 270s, EM Honors x2 with 3 reportedly very strong SLORS. Lots of bells and whistles on my application (research with publications/presentations, heavy community service, some unique training).

Hang in there, everyone. It is a crazy and unpredictable year. I think we are going to see lots of shuffling of interviews and that the offers will continue to come out through January.

I'm at 15 interview offers, all at my top picks at top programs,1 Wait list 5 rejections, and still waiting on 15 programs, but I already have interviews at 5 places that I would do anything to be at.

Step 1 220, step 2 260, normal 3rd year grades, big name school, EM High pass x1, Honors x1, SLOR x3, albeit 1 was very lucky and very strong, and very famous. Some good research and a lot of hard social work throughout the years.

Guess I got on the lucky side of the interview process, a superstar I am not. I'm just writing here because all of these SDN superstars seem to freak out the regular applicants. I'm waiting on only 2 more programs before I call it quits on accepting interview offers and I'll start cutting them down.

I'm at 13 pumpkin ales for the week. 2 Foster's Oil Cans. 3 Spiced Apple Cider Rums... uhah. Waait.. wrong thread.

Good luck to all.

I'm at 13 pumpkin ales for the week. 2 Foster's Oil Cans. 3 Spiced Apple Cider Rums... uhah. Waait.. wrong thread.

Good luck to all.

Have you ever felt the need to cut down on your drinking?
Have you ever been annoyed by people criticizing you for your drinking?
Have you ever felt guilty about your drinking?
Have you ever felt the need to have an eye opener?

Sorry, just took step 2 CS yesterday, lol.

Sooooo.........can I get one of those pumpkin ales?

Sooooo.........can I get one of those pumpkin ales?

Sure. Sounds to me like you've earned one.

http://newhollandbrew.com/beer/seasonals/ichabod-pumpkin-ale/

Once upon a time, I was a young man, and I loved my dark, hoppy, hairy, nasty, stout, fierce, dwarven beers.

I got older.

Now, on any given day, I'd much prefer a Coors Light (if just to have one), or a Foster's OilCan - but the "seasonals" are something that I kept following, if just to taste.

This one was really good.

Addendum: I remember my "match season". It wasn't long ago.

Step 1: 248
Step 2: 228
IMG from SGU. Around 40 applications. 8 interviews. Could have had more, I'd like to think, but I didn't apply to those traditionally "strong IMG markets" of Detroit and NYC. I can't live in a big city. I'd simply die.

Matched at my number-four. Loved my training. Still love and speak ardently about my program.

I remember the day that that word came out. I checked my hotmail account. Just a simple machine-generated, plain-text, no header, no footer, no graphics, in plain old "system font", one-line e-mail.

"Your ACGME match results are as follows: University of Toledo".

That was it.

I'm sure that its much more dressed-up now. But that was all it took. I landed a residency in EM. I won. I called the wifey. She was already at the pub (she lived in a different city at the time, we were still dating). She cried with joy. "Not matching" was a very real possibility for me. I didn't have a "backup plan" but to scramble.

Good luck to all.

I don't say this to be mean at all, but if the most notable thing about your application after your step 1 score is a sharp picture, that might have something to do with it- either from qualifications or what you put in your PS (even if you meant it as a joke). I talked rather extensively about personality types with my department chair, and they consider any personal statement with the hint of confidence turned into cockiness/obnoxiousness to be a red flag. I'm not saying yours is, but tone/humor doesn't always translate well in writing, so something to look at again or have someone else look at.

Also, what SLORs say (and who they're from) mean a lot too. I'm pretty sure they are how I got a lot of my interviews.
"I don't say this to be mean at all," but learn to lighten up and take a joke. Jeez, maybe all the PD's will like you but at least 20-30 people won't be able to stand you. Your fellow residents.

Anyone else experiencing a quiet week? Last week 6 interviews rolled in and this week, only one waitlist. What's going on? I was on a winning streak and on a high last week, only to be disappointed this week. Is this the end of interview invite season? I have a total of 8 interviews so far but feel that I am a less qualified applicant due to my scores, so was hoping to interview at 12-15 places for a sure match.