# of interviews.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docvino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody care to share how many interviews they have??

I have 8 as of today.

I know this # is highly dependent on numerous variables but I just want an idea of where other people stand - and where I stand in relation to others.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

23 offers, 1 WL, 2 rejections, 2 cancelled....20 scheduled

16 offers, 2 rejections, 1 cancelled, 15 scheduled

Members don't see this ad :)
20+ offers, 3 rejections, 4 cancelled, 17 scheduled

10 interviews. 25 offers. 1 rejection. Guess that makes 15 cancelled/declined interviews. I understand that everyone (myself included) is a bit anxious about the EM match this year. But keeping/going on 13+ intervies seems pretty excessive. I have to wonder whether EM has really gotten THAT much more competitive, or if this is really due to application overload, as each applicant has applied to 30+% more programs than in prior years. I'd be interested to know if the number and quality of applicants has markedly increased or if this is just a function of us freaking out.

10 interviews. 25 offers. 1 rejection. Guess that makes 15 cancelled/declined interviews. I understand that everyone (myself included) is a bit anxious about the EM match this year. But keeping/going on 13+ intervies seems pretty excessive. I have to wonder whether EM has really gotten THAT much more competitive, or if this is really due to application overload, as each applicant has applied to 30+% more programs than in prior years. I'd be interested to know if the number and quality of applicants has markedly increased or if this is just a function of us freaking out.

couples' match = more interviews

As of today, applied to 25 programs. 17 offers. 0 waitlist. 0 rejected. Declined 4. Have 13 interviews scheduled, which is my max. There are 2 more programs that I would like to hear back from. I have a few interviews in late Dec/Jan that I would cancel if i hear back from the 2 programs by mid November.

I sat in on the EM match dinner at my school last year. We had five 4th years speak with us. When asked how far they went down their rank list the answers were: #1, #1, #1, #6, #2.... 'nuff said.

I agree with this. I think the match this year is going to be interesting. I am not interviewing at more than 10. 14 offers, 1 rejection, 1 WL, 2 cancelled.

Applied to 24. Withdrew from 3. Declined 1. Waitlisted 0, Rejected 0. Currently holding 16 interviews and waiting to hear from 4.

Crazy cycle for sure.

Couples' Matching

Applied to 46. 14 invites. 3 Rejection. 2 Waitlist. Scheduled all 14. Means I'm still waiting from... well... 27.

last time I posted my stats, I got called a douche! I don't know if I can take that kind of criticism again . :D

last time I posted my stats, I got called a douche! I don't know if I can take that kind of criticism again . :D

Actually, you posting your stats opened a whole floodgate of people sharing their stats... which I think many people found useful. Thanks for having the cojones to do that.

Not everybody might agree but I found it helpful.

Actually, you posting your stats opened a whole floodgate of people sharing their stats... which I think many people found useful. Thanks for having the cojones to do that.

Not everybody might agree but I found it helpful.

With Misterchimpanze's support:

Holy wall of text Batman!!!!!!!!

***************************​

I copied the format of "Always Tired's" post from the EM 2013 thread, who I think did it very well, because it was set up very clearly. Surprisingly, we had extremely similar stats and applied to almost all of the same programs (Very scary but s/he had an overall better app and applied to more places). S/he applied to almost all of the same programs as well, but they are all programs that I think many of the other applicants also applied to because they are very strong and well known.

A quick summary, I applied to 22, and got acceptances from 18. I haven't heard back from the other four as listed below. I also declined 5 interviews as you can see below as well. I withdrew my app and sent out the decline responses immediately to those programs. The ones I declined were strong programs, and I was honored to receive them, but I didn't see a need to hog to many offers from other applicants when I knew I would not be able to interview at all of them. I haven't received any wait list offers or rejections as of yet so I don't know what that means in regards to the four programs I have not heard from.

I know my application is not average, but it is not the strongest in regards to SDN standards. I hope some one can find the information useful and I promise that I am not posting it to gloat or show off. It is just there for information purposes only. Most of you know me on here and I hope also know that I am the type of poster that loves to only encourage others and not troll/show off.

USMLE:
- Step I: ~250
- Step II CS: Finished, grade pending
- Step II CK: Pending

First/Second year grades: 7 H + 1HP

Third year grades:
- 6 Honors: Surgery, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Neurology, Psychiatry, Family Medicine
- 1 High Pass: OB/GYN

Emergency Medicine grades:
- EM/Peds: Honor [May] (Regular LOR - from the only attending I worked with for the month)
- Away: High Pass [June] (Composite clerkship director SLOR)
- Home: Honors [July] (Composite clerkship director SLOR)

Letters: All letters in by September 15
- EM/Peds: LOR
- Away: SLOR
- Home: SLOR

AOA: Junior

School: Middle Tier State School - With Strong EM Residency

Research: 2 weak projects, no publications

Volunteer/Work Experience: Heavy social service background and part time employment (20-30 hours/week) all years of medical school.

Programs:

Arizona
Maricopa Medical Center - Interview - Accepted
University of Arizona - Interview - Accepted

California -
Alameda County/Highland - Interview - Accepted
* deleted the declined program name out of respect in the edit.
LAC/Harbor/UCLA - Interview - Accepted
USC/LAC - (Interviews are out and I haven't heard a word).

Colorado
Denver - (Interviews are out and I haven't heard a word).

Delaware
Christiana - Interview - Accepted

Florida
* deleted the declined program name out of respect in the edit. x 2

Illinois
Cook County - Interview - Accepted

Indiana
Indiana Univ - Interview - Accepted

Minnesota
Hennepin - Interview - Accepted

New Mexico
New Mexico - Interview - Accepted

New York
SUNY Downstate - (Interviews are out and I haven't heard a word).

North Carolina
Carolinas - Interview - Accepted

Ohio
UH/Cinci - (Interviews are out and I haven't heard a word).

Pennsylvania
U Pitt (UPMC) - Interview - Accepted

Tennessee
Vanderbilt - Interview - Accepted

Texas
Texas Tech - Interview - Accepted (Amazing program/people, super high on my rank list)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to like 40 and have 31 offers and 3 rejections. Ill probably go on 13 or 14. You can PM me for stats, and places, and what not if you would like. Id prefer not to share publicly

Last edited:
As of today, applied to 25 programs. 17 offers. 0 waitlist. 0 rejected. Declined 4. Have 13 interviews scheduled, which is my max. There are 2 more programs that I would like to hear back from. I have a few interviews in late Dec/Jan that I would cancel if i hear back from the 2 programs by mid November.

I sat in on the EM match dinner at my school last year. We had five 4th years speak with us. When asked how far they went down their rank list the answers were: #1, #1, #1, #6, #2.... 'nuff said.

I agree that knowing some context about the applicant is useful. I'm not comfortable sharing all of my stats but from board scores/rank/steps/etc. i'm in the top quarter on a bell curve. I have specific geographical concerns so this limited the scope of where I applied. I turned down some interviews at great places because initially I thought that these places would be doable for my S.O but on further discussion it became apparent that they wouldn't work for him.

Last edited:
Wow you guys have tons of interviews. Congrats!!
Anyone have any insight if some programs still haven't offered interviews? I heard a rumor that some programs are waiting until nov 1 to extend interview offers.

Wow you guys have tons of interviews. Congrats!!
Anyone have any insight if some programs still haven't offered interviews? I heard a rumor that some programs are waiting until nov 1 to extend interview offers.
Judging by the interview thread theres still a number that havent. UCdavis and the two UTSWs come to mind.

Guess Ill play too:

28 places applied to, 20 Invites, 1 rejection, 15 scheduled. Still waiting to here from 2 or 3 places I would really consider going, all of which have sent out invites.

Instead of giving my stats, I will just say that most of my invites are "middle tier" schools with a couple upper and a few "less established" programs thrown in there also.

At this point I plan to go on 12-14 interviews, still trying to decide which ones.

Lastly: in response to the question above about people over applying or if the applicant pool is just that much more competitive this year.... I would say based on my schools applicants it is definitely both. We have quite a few candidates (not myself) that could easily get residencies in Derm/ENT/etc..... that are applying to EM, and a greater number of EM applicants for sure, and a lot of us I think probably applied to too many programs.

Definitely an interesting year to see what happens. I certainly think things will work themselves out to some degree in a few weeks as people drop some invites.

Yeah I'd probably agree with the overall increase competitiveness....multiple AOAers applying to EM this year at my school...

For what its worth, some one told me that I haven't heard back from SUNY/Downstate, Cinci, USC/LAC & Denver because I don't have Step II scores on my app just yet. I don't know how true that is but he said they don't want to offer, reject or wait list you without those scores.

Anyway, I am happy where I am at and would be even more happy if I heard from them, but still content.

I posted my info to show that you don't have to apply to 30 programs to get interview offers. I hope this will help quell some of the anxiety in the next cycle to avoid what we are seeing in this one. By the way, I was told before hand that I would be crazy not to apply to 30+ programs before the cycle and almost caved into the peer pressure. I am happy that I didn't

Good luck to everyone on this cycle, and here is for hoping that the next one will be easier on our friends.

I am a slightly below average applicant. I applied to 40 places. So far I've got 7 invites, 1 waitlist and 5 rejections. Judging by the interview invite thread nearly every other place I applied has offered interviews at least once. I'm very curious to see how things shape up for me..

Sheesh... So are we seeing SDN bias or is 15+ interview offers the norm???

For me, i appled to 30 places (maybe should have applied to more seeig the numbers everyone else applied to???) I have 9 and I'm happy with my programs. I'm hoping to hear from 2-3 more programs, and then I would be really really happy.

Not gonna give my stats, all I'm sharing is that I'm am average applicant. I would be more stressed out if I didn't like my list already.

Last edited:
For what its worth, some one told me that I haven't heard back from SUNY/Downstate, Cinci, USC/LAC & Denver because I don't have Step II scores on my app just yet. I don't know how true that is but he said they don't want to offer, reject or wait list you without those scores.

OTOH, I have a Denver invite without having Step 2 yet. I'm still waiting to hear from Vandy though--I was concerned it might be a Step 2 issue there, but I guess not. Still waiting on Cinci here as well.

Probably doesn't make you feel any better, but I have USC without step 2. What I've realized this process is that it is all so random. I have interviews from USC, Cook, Harbor and Alameda but no word from Denver, Maryland or UCSF....who knows why they decide to interview you or not. Probably depends what side of the bed they get up on that day.

Probably doesn't make you feel any better, but I have USC without step 2. What I've realized this process is that it is all so random. I have interviews from USC, Cook, Harbor and Alameda but no word from Denver, Maryland or UCSF....who knows why they decide to interview you or not. Probably depends what side of the bed they get up on that day.

Lol, no worries, I am happy for you. 18/22 I have nothing to grumble about. I think most of us will do just fine this go around.

It helps to debunk the rumor mills.

Applied to too many programs, 30ish interviews, 16 MD 7 DO accepted (will figure this out later).

Lol, what are you going to do w/ 23 interviews?

Oh and no worries, do it. I don't think anyone can ban you for having some fun.

36 applications. 8 invites, 1 waitlist, 4 rejects - 1 I am upset about. Only scheduled 7 of the interviews so far, though. So, waiting on LOTS. Interestingly, all of my invites were from programs in my region.
Mid-240's step1, Sr AOA, interesting pre-medical-school work, Ain't got jack for med pubs, but have some lame undergrad research. Clinical honors x3 out of 6. 2 SLORS (home and away), 1 fam med letter, 1 EM letter. And fabulously good looking.
I agree huge escalation in apps is hurting all of us - mutually assured destruction that we are all participating in, and will only get worse each year at this rate.

Couples matching with a future peds resident:

49 applied too
24 invites
19 scheduled
1 waitlist
4 cancellations
4 rejections

mid 220s step 1, mid 250s step 2, strong third year, no research.

7 invites, 7 rejections, waiting on 30 programs. couples matching. hating my life.

36 applications. 8 invites, 1 waitlist, 4 rejects - 1 I am upset about. Only scheduled 7 of the interviews so far, though. So, waiting on LOTS. Interestingly, all of my invites were from programs in my region.
Mid-240's step1, Sr AOA, interesting pre-medical-school work, Ain't got jack for med pubs, but have some lame undergrad research. Clinical honors x3 out of 6. 2 SLORS (home and away), 1 fam med letter, 1 EM letter. And fabulously good looking.
I agree huge escalation in apps is hurting all of us - mutually assured destruction that we are all participating in, and will only get worse each year at this rate.

which one you upset about and why?

Okay so there a few ppl with less than 10 invites. This makes me feel a little bit better.

Average applicant, as detailed on the other thread. 30 apps, 7 invitations, 3 rejections, no word from 20. I got 2 of the invitations this Thursday and Friday right after submitting my (very average) Step 2 score and probably more importantly, my last SLOR, so hopefully I'll get a few more this week.

Okay so there a few ppl with less than 10 invites. This makes me feel a little bit better.

I know, this thread teeters between making me feel terribly depressed and making me feel like I am in an okay spot.

For what it's worth
32 applications
7 invites
5 rejections
1 wait list
But nothing for almost two weeks. Hoping it is a good week for everyone!

Couples matching with a future peds resident as well

same scenario

220s step 1, 250s step 2, average 3rd year, some research but nothing fancy

50 programs applied to

25+ invites, in the process of whittling down
2 rejections
3 waitlist

wish i could explain my luck...

Last edited:
Also in the scared category, and also wondering why my stats aren't helping more (perhaps I underestimated the competition...) I didn't expect to be struggling at this stage, and would be happy to hit 10 interviews total.

Applied: 44
Interviews: 6
Rejections: 5

240's step 1, strong med school, average clinical grades

Another in the somewhat nervous camp.

Top 20 school, 260s Step 1, no Step 2, average clinical grades. Really sharp ERAS photo

35 applied
7 invites (including an auto invite from my home school)
4 rejections.

Top 20 school, 260s Step 1, no Step 2, average clinical grades. Really sharp ERAS photo

35 applied
4 rejections.

This makes absolutely no sense. Top 20 medical school?

35 applied
4 rejections.

i agree it makes no sense. what types of schools did you apply to? i would think you would have more than that for your school and scores. what were your EM rotations like?

Hearing some of this it's like some people have a crap load and others have slim pickings with similar stats. This is an interesting year.

I agree that makes no sense, but it makes me feel a bit better knowing I have pretty much the same results as adizz despite slightly lower step 1 numbers. Only problem for me is, I may not get many more than the 7 interviews I have now - West coast schools rarely take east coasters without some connection/away, and the east coast schools that haven't responded are largely mild-"reach" programs (ivy league or big name), besides about 5 places that SHOULD interview me but who the heck knows. Coulda gotten more interviews in derm.

Maybe it has something to do with where people are applying? I focused my application in mostly major cities...

Maybe it has something to do with where people are applying? I focused my application in mostly major cities...

I can't see it being a matter of where adizz applied. I would have thought anyone from Northwestern with a 260+, good grades, and recs could apply to any 20 programs and be just fine.