% of enrolled pharmacy students with degree.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZAKHSTERN

FSU PILLS President
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for statistics on the % of enrolled pharmacy students with BS degrees from different pharmacy schools. Anyone have any numbers for their school? Appreciate the feedback.

Zak

Members don't see this ad.

hmm, i'm interested in this also.

From U of miss. almost 50% of regular entry students had a degree of some sort (bachelor or higher). Ole miss has early entry students also, (from high school) in the 0-6 part of their program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Roughly 30% at my school, UGA, have degrees...

Roughly 30% at my school, UGA, have degrees...

Oh wow...that's not that much then.

People keep saying "Oh you REALLY need to get a degree if you want a good chance of getting into pharmacy school"

Like it's almost impossible to get in without one?? I mean, if you have an average GPA and a mediocre PCAT score then yeah, you probably would need a degree just to be competitive. But whatever.

People keep saying "Oh you REALLY need to get a degree if you want a good chance of getting into pharmacy school"

Like it's almost impossible to get in without one?? I mean, if you have an average GPA and a mediocre PCAT score then yeah, you probably would need a degree just to be competitive. But whatever.

I don't know. It's something to fall back upon, however... I think if you finish your degree it gives you more of a chance to decide where you want to go than hope you get in somewhere. Maybe. Lol.

In the new enrolling classes at Ohio State, 100% have a degree. Not sure about any other schools.

at UIC, for my class, about 60% have degrees, but this number is going to rise because the GPPA (guaranteed admissions program for entering high school students) now requires a bachelors. GPPA makes up about 10% of total pharmacy students.

I know VCU School of Pharmacy (MCV) has 75% of their class with bachelor's degree. I have heard that nowadays its easier to get into pharmacy school with ur bachelor's.

I think if you look at the total % that have degrees it might be more than 30%....the question said BS degrees, but many students have BA's

I'm looking for the % enrolled students with any type of degree, BS. BA. anything.

I think if you look at the total % that have degrees it might be more than 30%....the question said BS degrees, but many students have BA's

Well, from the pharmacy school point of view, I don't think they really care BS vs. BA - I think the statistics simply mean did you have a bachelor's degree of any kind before you started pharmacy school, or not. At Mercer, our entering class year was just a little over 50% with a bachelor's degree or more before entering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. I didn't mean that the pharm schools prefer BS degrees/ i just thought the original poster was looking for percentages on BS degree holders; not BA, that's all.

Washington State University class of 2010 has over 70% bachelors degrees. Of those 70+% there are 4 masters and 2 PhDs. I have a 2 year community college degree and was accepted. Those of us without the 4 yr degree felt very lucky to be accepted!

This information is found on the individual school websites and sometimes the school pages on pharmacas.

This information is found on the individual school websites and sometimes the school pages on pharmacas.

I haven't been able to find this for Ohio State or University of Cincinnati. I remember seeing a link to a PDF file with all the schools, but I forget the site. Maybe it was APhA or whatever it's called.

It really depends on the school.

I think that the schools that are more "friendly" towards older applicants (the type that are coming back to school for a second career or whatever) will typically have more students with degrees. UGA, on the other hand, has more of the type of student that went straight into pharmacy, so less people have degrees. However they place a lot of emphasis on grades and PCAT.

At my school, UW Madison, about 30 to 40 percent have a bachelors. But UW madison admits almost no out of staters so that reduces the competition for us in staters (otherwise our school would be filled with californians and new yorkers with BS degrees and 4.0 gpas). There are a few out of staters here and they all have BS degrees.

Washington State University class of 2010 has over 70% bachelors degrees. Of those 70+% there are 4 masters and 2 PhDs. I have a 2 year community college degree and was accepted. Those of us without the 4 yr degree felt very lucky to be accepted!

It would be difficult to compete with the guys with masters and phDs in basic science classes. The playing field gets leveled when you start your clinical science. Am I right? The top 10% of the class tends to be those with the degree.

only 30%??? wow.....

My understanding of UGA's admission process is that they only calculate GPA on the required pre-reqs +PCAT. Therefore, there's not a strong incentive to complete a degree. Not saying that's good or bad, but I think it plays a factor in the stat.

It would be difficult to compete with the guys with masters and phDs in basic science classes. The playing field gets leveled when you start your clinical science. Am I right? The top 10% of the class tends to be those with the degree.

In pharmacy school we no longer compete with each other, thank goodness, just ourselves. We haven't had any indepth clinical science experiences yet so I don't know if the playing field will level out. There are classes some excel in and others we struggle in.

Our class has grades from one extreme to the other. Even though we were all academically competitive before we were in school, we now are all over the grading scale. (Someone is going to be top of the class, and another the bottom)...see the thread about pharmacy school showing who is "below average"! HAHA!! It's ok to be below average when you're in the top. At least that's what I keep telling myself. As long as I'm IN and passing!

As far as getting IN to pharmacy school---yea, those big degrees are tough to compete against!! That's why I highly recommend going for the 4 yr degree. Don't put all your eggs in an associate's degree being enough to get you through. The competition is as steep, and having a 4 yr degree (of just about any kind) puts you on a step above the rest. Capitalize on whatever will give you an edge!

In the new enrolling classes at Ohio State, 100% have a degree. Not sure about any other schools.

When I interviewed there I think everyone but maybe 1 or 2 out of 25ish had degrees or were going to by this fall. They really seem to push for them at OSU. In reality many schools are moving this direction.

At the U of Minnesota, about 67% has bachelor's, 5% associate's, and the rest no degree.