Odds of matching estimate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

For somebody from top 10 medical university in Europe, how do odds of matching differ estimated?

Position A: Residency application same year of graduation. Exchange studies done in better USA schools through university partnership.

Position B: Residency application 1 year after graduation. Exchange studies done not through university partnership but through sites who help FMGs get clinical experience.

If everything else the same, and step results are average, how much difference would the differences above make? Is the match rate at least 50 %?

Members don't see this ad.

Overall IMG match rate is in the 50% range. No actual statistics exist to answer the question you're asking. But person A is undeniably in a much better position than person B.

Overall IMG match rate is in the 50% range. No actual statistics exist to answer the question you're asking. But person A is undeniably in a much better position than person B.
Thank you.

As you say, no actual statistics for this. But for the sake of eliminating some of my anxiety, if you could estimate based on the documents presenting data over the match, do you think the chance of matching is at least 50 % for this IMG-candidate:
* Graduates from top 10 medical university in the world
* Step 1 233, step 2 CK 250
* Applies to only IM residencies
* Applies to residency 1 year after graduation; clinical hands on experience in USA obtained from sites helping IMGs get clinical experience.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

For somebody from top 10 medical university in Europe, how do odds of matching differ estimated?

Position A: Residency application same year of graduation. Exchange studies done in better USA schools through university partnership.

Position B: Residency application 1 year after graduation. Exchange studies done not through university partnership but through sites who help FMGs get clinical experience.

If everything else the same, and step results are average, how much difference would the differences above make? Is the match rate at least 50 %?

What do you mean exactly "sites who help FMGs get clinical experience"?

If you mean some commercial companies such as "xxx clerkship", some of these are of EXTREMELY low quality with little educational experience and a possibly generic letter by a private doctor, which will be viewed generally unfavored by most residency program.

That being said, exchange studies done in better USA schools through university partnership will be MUCH BETTER.

You step 1 score is so so, but with decent step 2 score. If you obtain good letter from prestigious university faculties and apply broadly, you should have decent chance of match, in my opinion

Thank you.

As you say, no actual statistics for this. But for the sake of eliminating some of my anxiety, if you could estimate based on the documents presenting data over the match, do you think the chance of matching is at least 50 % for this IMG-candidate:
* Applies to residency 1 year after graduation; clinical hands on experience in USA obtained from sites helping IMGs get clinical experience.
Again, overall match rate for IMGs is ~50%.

There is literally nothing else that anyone can tell you that I didn't already say.

Real clerkships>>>>>shady observerships.
"Top 10 Medical University in the Universe" means little or nothing without USCE or really good connections.

Thank you.

FMG is FMG...no one really cares if you graduate from a “top 10” medical university in the world if it’s not in the US...

Again, overall match rate for IMGs is ~50%.

There is literally nothing else that anyone can tell you that I didn't already say.

Real clerkships>>>>>shady observerships.
"Top 10 Medical University in the Universe" means little or nothing without USCE or really good connections.
Those real clerkships you talk about, are they common or extremely rare to come by if you're a graduated IMG (i.e., no longer in med school)? Sites like FMG portal, are they something that will yield something people will frown upon or can they give that "real clerkship" experience?

What do you mean exactly "sites who help FMGs get clinical experience"?

If you mean some commercial companies such as "xxx clerkship", some of these are of EXTREMELY low quality with little educational experience and a possibly generic letter by a private doctor, which will be viewed generally unfavored by most residency program.

That being said, exchange studies done in better USA schools through university partnership will be MUCH BETTER.

You step 1 score is so so, but with decent step 2 score. If you obtain good letter from prestigious university faculties and apply broadly, you should have decent chance of match, in my opinion
Sites like FMGportal etc, can they yield good LORs? You said some are low quality, surely there are some that can yield good ones?

Would you say that the chance is at least 50 % for this candidate: one has done all the steps (step 3 included), step 1 233, step 2 240 and any USCE obtained through clerkship site agencies and graduated from Europe´and applies broadly?

Last edited:
Check out the NRMP data on match for IMGs...the rate increases with the # of interviews that you get (which is intuitive). Chances are that unless you were already a somebody in Europe and have connections you won't match at a great academic center. There are plenty of "low tier/newer" programs that are matching candidates from all over the world though.

Sites like FMGportal etc, can they yield good LORs? You said some are low quality, surely there are some that can yield good ones?

Would you say that the chance is at least 50 % for this candidate: one has done all the steps (step 3 included), step 1 233, step 2 240 and any USCE obtained through clerkship site agencies and graduated from Europe´and applies broadly?

I don't have any personal experience or detailed information to assess the quality of FMGportal. But as far as I can tell, your chance is highly likely to be much lower with these commercial companies than having a formal exchange program ("elective") to a US medical school/university while you were a medical student and have good LoR from a real faculty.

It is debatable which is better regarding "hands-on" USCE with these low quality commercial companies vs a good observership at a decent university hospital (I remember CCF may offers such opportunity). I would even prefer the later to be honest.

Do you have a choice to participate the exchange program to a US medical school or not? If you do, please please do it and it will be a huge help. If you cannot, we can discuss other options.