October PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yordy

Reaction score
Did anyone take the October PCAT? Please let us know how you did, and what study materials did you use? Was it similar to what you studied? Please share. Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I felt Pearson was definitely the closest material for the PCAT in terms of similarity followed by Dr Collins. I would say these were the best refresher materials since I have already taken all the necessary courses. Pearson won't provide too much to study from with just 1 to 3 practice tests. They will just show you your most likely score range at the moment. Dr Collins had TONS of practice tests with passages just like the PCAT so that was a plus. Questions difficulty were more aligned with the PCAT vs Kaplan imo. They also included study guides for some of the sections. I bought Pearson practice tests earlier this spring 2018 and had a used updated collins with the passages for reference.

Kaplan was okay but the questions were too hard and not representative of the PCAT difficulty. Reviews were very long and fluffed. I kinda wish they made it more concise like collins. Some of the topics they taught weren't on the PCAT too. If you need an overhaul review of everything and have alot of time Kaplan could be a good option. I used the 2018 - 2019. I recommend using an older edition of Kaplan because nothing has changed in their year to year editions.

TLDR: Felt the newer Pearson and Dr. Collins were the best quick refresher materials. Kaplan was is okay, but just get an older edition to save you money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I felt Pearson was definitely the closest material for the PCAT in terms of similarity followed by Dr Collins. I would say these were the best refresher materials since I have already taken all the necessary courses. Pearson won't provide too much to study from with just 1 to 3 practice tests. They will just show you your most likely score range at the moment. Dr Collins had TONS of practice tests with passages just like the PCAT so that was a plus. Questions difficulty were more aligned with the PCAT vs Kaplan imo. They also included study guides for some of the sections. I bought Pearson practice tests earlier this spring 2018 and had the 2017-2018 collins for reference.

Kaplan was okay but the questions were too hard and not representative of the PCAT difficulty. Reviews were very long and fluffed. I kinda wish they made it more concise like collins. Some of the topics they taught weren't on the PCAT too. If you need an overhaul review of everything and have alot of time Kaplan could be a good option. I used the 2018 - 2019. I recommend using an older edition of Kaplan because nothing has changed in their year to year editions.

TLDR: Felt the newer Pearson and Dr. Collins were the best quick refresher materials. Kaplan was is okay, but just get an older edition to save you money.
I felt Pearson was definitely the closest material for the PCAT in terms of similarity followed by Dr Collins. I would say these were the best refresher materials since I have already taken all the necessary courses. Pearson won't provide too much to study from with just 1 to 3 practice tests. They will just show you your most likely score range at the moment. Dr Collins had TONS of practice tests with passages just like the PCAT so that was a plus. Questions difficulty were more aligned with the PCAT vs Kaplan imo. They also included study guides for some of the sections. I bought Pearson practice tests earlier this spring 2018 and had the 2017-2018 collins for reference.

Thank you very much for sharing. Did you got a good Score? When did you take the Pcat? Thank you.

I will take the test in January 2019 and currently I'm using Kaplan for biology and math and Collins for chem. However, I'm using the 2016 Collins edition, is it still ok to use? Are there new topics added to the pcat since 2016? I did some searching on google and saw that the only changes were just additional passages for chem and bio and more word problems for math. Also the biology section in dr Collins looks really brief compared to the Kaplan and I'm actually tempted to use it but I'm not so sure, can you guys give me your thoughts about that?
Thank you in advance :D