OCPM & externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwilldlvr

not listening
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you know how much time OCPM allows for externships in the 3rd and/or 4th years? I know CPMS pretty much gives the entire 4th year to be spent exploring externships but can't find any info on how much time OCPM allows. I'm interviewing there next week, and that will be a big selling point. If any of the current students or prior interviewees know, I'd really like some info on that topic.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

check out the catalog on their website. it lays out all 4 years.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I looked over the catalog they sent me but it never said anything about externships or how long/many a student could participate. According to the catalog, students are required to participate in externships for a minimum of 5 months. That's good info.

Members don't see this ad :)
where else are you interviewing?

I've been offered interviews at all 8 schools but have only scheduled for OCPM, CPMS, Temple, and Scholl (pending reschedule of NYCPM due to classes). OCPM & CPMS are top choices for me due to cost of living, but I want to make sure I can also have enough time allowed to participate in as may externships as possible and of my choosing. I'm having difficulty finding info on the length of certain externships. If OCPM requires a minimum of 5 months (and max of ? months- I didn't pay attention to whether or not that was in the catalog) then realistically how many externships could be done? From what I can tell, they last from 1-4 months depending on the program. If that's true, then 5 months isn't very long. I don't know how much of this is accurate since I am piecing together info. I don't know where to find the individual program lengths or if that info is even available prior to the 3rd year. I know one of the programs I'm interested in- KY- doesn't state their length. All they state is that in order to be available to apply for residency with them the externship must be done. If most residency programs have the same app requirements, then I would need the most time for externships to allow for the most residency prospects. I just want to make sure I have all the info before choosing a school.

Thats cool. I wish I knew some specifics on all that too. Good luck on your interviews. Let me know which school you choose!

I'll let ya know! :) After my interview next Friday, I'll post on here any info I get from the adcoms about those questions I have so everyone else can know. Good luck to you, too.

I'll let ya know! :) After my interview next Friday, I'll post on here any info I get from the adcoms about those questions I have so everyone else can know. Good luck to you, too.

you should definitely check out NYCPM.

After talking to some other students at some of the "top" schools the NY clinic is still one of the best clinical educations that you can get.

You just will have to make sure to augment the literature part. (as in read on your own)

My main concern with NYCPM is the cost of living. I'm not in the situation where I can live in student housing since I have a small dog. Also, I'm 30, so I have to factor in how many years I may have available to practice, make an income, and pay back student loans. The only other concern is if the clinicals are required to be taken in NY, then how many residencies can I apply for out of state, realistically? Of course, I don't know if the clinicals are all required to be taken in the area. Krabmas- can you tell me if that's correct or not?

It has always been my understanding that most externships (clerkships) are 1 month in length. The expection to that is at DMU (it may be at other schools also) there is a core rotation that is 4 months.

Thanks Dr_Feelgood. Maybe that's where I was seeing the 4 months description. I'm sure I'll get this all figured out when the time comes. By the way, will you be in on the interviews this month at DMU?

My main concern with NYCPM is the cost of living. I'm not in the situation where I can live in student housing since I have a small dog. Also, I'm 30, so I have to factor in how many years I may have available to practice, make an income, and pay back student loans. The only other concern is if the clinicals are required to be taken in NY, then how many residencies can I apply for out of state, realistically? Of course, I don't know if the clinicals are all required to be taken in the area. Krabmas- can you tell me if that's correct or not?

the clinical rotations in the 4th year can be done anywhere in the country. but this does become expensive in travel since you will also have to pay rent in the ny apartment as well as where ever you are (unless free housing is offered) on externships. at nycpm you'll get 4 externships and possibly a month of senior surgery at west penn or UMDNJ.

Parkchester in the bronx is student housing and you may be able to have pets.

thanks krabmas for all the info, I'll see if i can find some info on parkchester.

Thanks Dr_Feelgood. Maybe that's where I was seeing the 4 months description. I'm sure I'll get this all figured out when the time comes. By the way, will you be in on the interviews this month at DMU?

I will not be there. Good luck with your interview. If you have any ?s feel free to PM me.

Thanks. Too bad, I was hoping to meet the all-knowing Feelgood. :) Maybe another genius from the 3rd row will be there. :laugh: :D