Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BCAA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for an easy to understand description of their value and role in securing residency. Are they very correlated with the residency we place into? I have been quite set on NYCPM, but I learned that they do just 4 externships--is this a bad thing? I have a DMU ii coming up, and that was the other program I am interested in--what is the situation with their externships?

Members don't see this ad.

We've had a few threads about the topic of externships before and I won't attempt to paraphrase them as it shouldn't be too hard to locate them.

Here's an different take - do you want to do your residency in New York? I'm not saying it will be your only option or that you are forced to stay there, but the last NYCPM match list that was released (2011?) showed heavy placement in New York residencies. If you want to stay that would seem to make NYCPM an easy choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
We've had a few threads about the topic of externships before and I won't attempt to paraphrase them as it shouldn't be too hard to locate them.

Here's an different take - do you want to do your residency in New York? I'm not saying it will be your only option or that you are forced to stay there, but the last NYCPM match list that was released (2011?) showed heavy placement in New York residencies. If you want to stay that would seem to make NYCPM an easy choice.
If anybody else is interested in this issue, I asked the dean of NYCPM for the latest match list (representing the last 4 years...they keep a log in their office). Surprisingly, there are a solid number of matches outside of New York/the east coast. This allayed my fear of this issue.

Is it very difficult to get a residency at a location if you have not done an externship or rotation at the hospital? (Please pardon my ignorance...still figuring this out!!).

If anybody else is interested in this issue, I asked the dean of NYCPM for the latest match list (representing the last 4 years...they keep a log in their office). Surprisingly, there are a solid number of matches outside of New York/the east coast. This allayed my fear of this issue.

Is it very difficult to get a residency at a location if you have not done an externship or rotation at the hospital? (Please pardon my ignorance...still figuring this out!!).

Really this depends on the residency. At my program, if you haven't done a clerkship, your chances are just a bit better than zero. Some programs don't have clerkships. If you interview well, there are programs that put a lot of weight on interviews and you could have a good shot. Obviously, doing good on a clerkship will give you a strong advantage.

Hi there, I'm a current 3rd year at NYCPM who just applied to externships.

Just a quick correction to make: NYCPM changed their policy last year and all students get 5 externship months now. As for residency placements, NYCPM has traditionally had a lot of students from the tri-state area, so they tend to stay in the general region. I believe this is gradually changing (I know my class has many students from all over the US) and a lot of us are looking at non-NY-area programs. That being said, the majority of our class will do their residencies here, simply because there are so many local programs.

DMU : http://www.dmu.edu/pm/rotations/

A third or 4th year may be able to chime in on specifics.

You have the option to have up to 7 full months of podiatry externships (June-December + a week or so in January before CRIP) in your fourth year and you have full control over where you apply. You will only have less than 7 months if you choose to do your core rotation before interviews. (Core rotation is a 3 month rotation at a set of pre-approved podiatry programs around the nation that combine podiatric medicine and surgery with other specialties such as IM, plastics, neuro, etc).

You have the option to have up to 7 full months of podiatry externships (June-December + a week or so in January before CRIP) in your fourth year and you have full control over where you apply. You will only have less than 7 months if you choose to do your core rotation before interviews. (Core rotation is a 3 month rotation at a set of pre-approved podiatry programs around the nation that combine podiatric medicine and surgery with other specialties such as IM, plastics, neuro, etc).

PacPod do you know off the top of your head where the core rotations are located in the US that DMU has an affiliation with? Thanks.