OCPM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gymbritt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because nobody has started this thread yet!

Members don't see this ad.

Just picked out my housing this past weekend. I'm really excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Me and my wife will be in Cleveland from June 9-13 looking for housing if anyone wants to get together for dinner or something.

I'm moving July 18th...we should get everyone that's in town together to have a low key meet and greet.

hello guys,
i'm just wondering what made you guys decide on OCPM over other schools (like CSPM and NYCPM, etc.)? I also had 3 interviews at these 3 schools. I got accepted. I would like to know your opinion. Thank you.

Here's a thread for you to read about it if you like: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=681043

To summarize why I chose OCPM:

- Very large scholarship offer
- Low cost of living near school
- Near some of my family
- Relatively family-friendly area
- OCPM's long history
- only school that has a course focused on the business aspects of Pod

Hopefully you decide to come and join us.

I will be moving into my place on June 1st. It would be great to get together with a few people before classes start! Where has everyone chosen to live?

I'm living in Dover Farms in North Royalton, it was the only place that would accept my dog. Plus, it's close to family...and I don't mind a drive.

What apartment complexes are you all planning to stay at?? I need names so I can shop around a little more before I sign one in a few weeks! I really like the Vineyards Apartments in Broadway Heights.

I think I'm going to check out apartments sometime in May or June. Has anyone looked at the Regency apartments yet? I've heard mixed results. Also, when is everyone else going to start moving in?

I think I'm going to check out apartments sometime in May or June. Has anyone looked at the Regency apartments yet? I've heard mixed results. Also, when is everyone else going to start moving in?

I actually applied for a Regency apartment. I heard mixed reviews as well, but when I visited I LOVED what I saw. I chose it b/c it is relatively cheap for a 2 bedroom and VERY close to campus. I am from Ohio so I know how the weather can get in the winter and I don't want a 45 min travel home after a long day of class b/c of the snow. This is purely just my personal preference. Some may not mind the drive. It usually gets a knock b/c they have a strong partnership with the school and it is considered by many as the "first yr dorms" but I can say that many other types of people live there as well. So, that aspect of it didn't bother me. I hope to see you at the end of July. Until then... :)

dayNight

congrats to all accepted,

I will be applying to this school in September. I take my mcat on May 21. I am realistically expecting between 25-30. I hope I can get in there with my 3.3 and future 25-30 mcat. The new campus is awesome from what
I hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going up for an interview in June, anything I should know that's not in the SDN info? Hotel suggestions?

Also, what areas and apartment complexes are you all looking at? I'm guessing living in downtown wouldn't be the smartest move because of travel to school during the winter.

I took my MCAT last Friday...I was conditionally accepted and was told I needed a 21 to gain full acceptance..Is/was anyone in the same boat?? I felt I did well, but if for some reason I score less than 21 what are my chances of them letting me in this fall??

wait.. how did you get conditional acceptance? did you just finish all your apps and stuff minus the mcat score?

Ya I filled out app and went through whole interview process before taking MCAT...I have sent all LORS and all financial aid info in as well as everything else needed for matriculation..all they need now is my mcat score to finalize everything..

I was wondering the same thing... I won't be done with organic chem I and II until next spring and I want to apply for fall 2011. I thought about submitting my app in sep-october and taking the MCAT in March but I am thinking most of the seats will be gone by then and I won't get accepted due to the late mcat....
But good luck to you!!

Ya I filled out app and went through whole interview process before taking MCAT...I have sent all LORS and all financial aid info in as well as everything else needed for matriculation..all they need now is my mcat score to finalize everything..

Ryan, I'm in the same boat. I interviewed this May and was told to increase my MCAT score so as to be accepted into the 4 year program. I as well have the rest of my app submitted etc...I'm taking the MCAT June 17th so I'm currently studying for it.

If you don't mind me asking, how close were you to the 21 they require

Hey Everyone!!!
I'm a current student in the class of 2013 and I wanted to let you know about the HOUSING FAIR this weekend that I am sure you have all heard about from OCPM taking place this Saturday the 12th. This provides a great opportunity for everyone to meet some classmates and see what the area has to offer housing wise. I am more than willing to answer any questions you may have via PM or on this thread. I just completed my first year not long ago and I live at the Regency Luxury Apartments which some of you may have heard about seeing as a large number of students live there. Its nice to be with a lot of your classmates and it's also an inexpensive alternative to some of the high priced housing that can be out there. If your interested or just curious about living there, feel free to contact me. I'm looking to refer some new students to the apartments, and if you sign a new lease not only will you receive the OCPM discount from the Regency but I will also be willing to offer compensation to those who I refer that sign a lease. CASH!! It's a great deal for anyone who is going to sign anyways, and I would be willing to match any signing referral bonuses that someone else offers you, provided with proof. In return for having new leases referred by me I get a break on my monthly rent. This is win win for anyone who will sign anyways, you'll get an additional signing bonus from me and I'll get a discount on rent for a month. If your interested in this please contact me or if you just have some questions about OCPM contact me! I will be in the area this weekend and would be more than happy answer any questions about your visit.
Thanks!!

Regency luxury apartments? The word oxymoron comes to mind. The remodeled units are decent though.

Over the last 5 days my wife and I went around to 17 apartments in the area (including a couple of privately owned condos and a few houses) and so we were able to see a lot of what these places have to offer. If you have questions, we can probably answer some about many of the places you're looking at. PM me if you have specific questions about any of the places on OCPM's list of apartments since we saw a lot of them.

We ended up deciding on the Big Creek apartments in Parma Heights because they were fairly cheap for the amount of square footage you get (1250 ft 2BR 2BA for $850/mo) and the area was pretty decent. We also talked to some other students that live there and they seemed pretty satisfied with it.

We also loved Dover Farms but they were a bit more pricey for the sq footage.

Anyways, let me know if anyone needs help with some info.

Here's a thread for you to read about it if you like: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=681043

To summarize why I chose OCPM:

- Very large scholarship offer
- Low cost of living near school
- Near some of my family
- Relatively family-friendly area
- OCPM's long history
- only school that has a course focused on the business aspects of Pod

Hopefully you decide to come and join us.

Ohio is a great school, but wanted to point out that it is not the only school that has a class about the business side of Podiatry.

Ohio is a great school, but wanted to point out that it is not the only school that has a class about the business side of Podiatry.

Let me rephrase: Ohio is the only school that has a class about the business side of Podiatry that I interviewed at, or had any interest in attending.

I wasn't aware that Barry had a class like this but I'm glad to hear other schools are addressing this subject as well.

Let me rephrase: Ohio is the only school that has a class about the business side of Podiatry that I interviewed at, or had any interest in attending.

I wasn't aware that Barry had a class like this but I'm glad to hear other schools are addressing this subject as well.

That makes sense then. You can't learn everything in one class though. Joining your school's AAPPM club will help you learn about the business side of Podiatry. If you are involved all 4 years with the club, then you should be better prepared to jump out into the business world of Podiatry and then continue to go to the AAPPM's conferences every year. THere are a lot of good business books that Students should read to help prepare them for a practice. You get all this information at your AAPPM club meetings. Am I sounding like a leader in the AAPPM, sorry. THe national AAPPM are mainly based out of Ohio I think, so that school gets to see those keynote speakers quite a bit.

That makes sense then. You can't learn everything in one class though. Joining your school's AAPPM club will help you learn about the business side of Podiatry. If you are involved all 4 years with the club, then you should be better prepared to jump out into the business world of Podiatry and then continue to go to the AAPPM's conferences every year. THere are a lot of good business books that Students should read to help prepare them for a practice. You get all this information at your AAPPM club meetings. Am I sounding like a leader in the AAPPM, sorry. THe national AAPPM are mainly based out of Ohio I think, so that school gets to see those keynote speakers quite a bit.

Sweet, thanks!

Just to expand upon the information on this subject in this thread. Ohio has the largest amount of curriculum on the business side of podiatry of all of the schools. The course is now, (as of this past year) taken during all four years. The course is actually run by AAPPM members.

Where is everyone living? Can't wait to meet everyone!

Also to current ocpm students, which apts do you recommend checking out and avoiding. Thanks!

Just to expand upon the information on this subject in this thread. Ohio has the largest amount of curriculum on the business side of podiatry of all of the schools. The course is now, (as of this past year) taken during all four years. The course is actually run by AAPPM members.

That's pretty cool. Do you know who teaches it, or does it change from week to week?

Also to current ocpm students, which apts do you recommend checking out and avoiding. Thanks!

When I came to check out the area I went to 8 different apartment complexes, and the one I decided on was Royal Oaks in North Royalton. I felt it was a lot nicer than the others that I visited. It is a little more expensive, but I feel it will be worth it to really like where you're living. For OCPM students they are offering $90 a month off rent, waiving the security deposit, and giving you $100 off your first month. PM me if you have any questions, and if you check it out and end up liking it, I can offer you cash for a move in bonus if you say I referred you.

That's pretty cool. Do you know who teaches it, or does it change from week to week?

They bring in a lot of different people to talk to us, which makes it pretty cool. But, the course is run by Dr. Hal Ornstein and Dr. John Guiliana.

They bring in a lot of different people to talk to us, which makes it pretty cool. But, the course is run by Dr. Hal Ornstein and Dr. John Guiliana.
You guys are lucky! I get to talk to them on a conference call once a month or so and they are amazing people. Soak up what you can from them.

When I came to check out the area I went to 8 different apartment complexes, and the one I decided on was Royal Oaks in North Royalton. I felt it was a lot nicer than the others that I visited. It is a little more expensive, but I feel it will be worth it to really like where you're living. For OCPM students they are offering $90 a month off rent, waiving the security deposit, and giving you $100 off your first month. PM me if you have any questions, and if you check it out and end up liking it, I can offer you cash for a move in bonus if you say I referred you.

I thought these were nice as well but they were way too expensive for the space. Dover Farms next door is just as nice, if not nicer, and has larger floor plans for a bit less cost. Dover Farms includes garages with your rent, whereas Royal Oaks is an additional cost. Both of them have very nice amenities (Dover has indoor raquetball courts and a tanning bed, among the normal stuff) and the floor plans are quite nice. We almost went with Dover Farms but just needed the extra space that Big Creek offered.

As far as ones I would definitely avoid - Cherry Tree Village and Clarkwood Greens were both very shady and I wouldn't feel safe. Clarkwood is in a rougher area and I felt uncomfortable even parking my car.

I thought the grounds and apartments at Hampton Club and Spruce Run (same exact floor plans, same company) were decent and very cheap, but both were VERY close to the freeway and we could hear a ton of noise.

I also liked Woodbury Commons but they were overpriced for what they offered.

Most of the other stuff we saw was fairly forgettable. There were some good choices for single students but for anyone with a family they were just to small or pricey.

We also saw a condo in Broadview Heights at a place called Stoney Run that blew us away with the grounds. Absolutely immaculate landscaping - felt like you were in the middle of a forest - and the condo wasn't bad, but too small for us. If anyone wants to check it out, I have contact info for the lady who owns it. She seemed pretty desperate to rent it so that she doesn't keep eating the cost so I think you'd have a lot of room to negotiate with her.

Anyways, hopefully this helps someone.

I thought these were nice as well but they were way too expensive for the space. Dover Farms next door is just as nice, if not nicer, and has larger floor plans for a bit less cost.

Just out of curiosity, how much are the apartments at Dover Farms? I did not visit them since Royal Oaks and Dover Farms are owned by the same company, and figured they would be very similar. Did they give a discount on rent as well like Royal Oaks did?

I called Dover Farms, because it wasn't too late to switch apartments, and it turns out that Dover Farm's cheapest apartment was $675 for a 702 sq. ft. apartment. I will be paying $650 for my 783 sq. ft. apartment at Royal Oaks. Not a huge difference, but I had to check it out for some peace of mind.

I called Dover Farms, because it wasn't too late to switch apartments, and it turns out that Dover Farm's cheapest apartment was $675 for a 702 sq. ft. apartment. I will be paying $650 for my 783 sq. ft. apartment at Royal Oaks. Not a huge difference, but I had to check it out for some peace of mind.

Ya, we only looked at the bigger ones which were a better deal at Dover. Glad to hear it worked out better for you that way though. Both were nice.

Sorry for getting off topic, but I was wondering if any of you have started reading or studying at all for the first semester? I know most say to just relax and enjoy this time off but I would feel a lot more at ease if I had some studying under my belt come the first week of school. If anything else just to get myself in that mode.

Sorry for getting off topic, but I was wondering if any of you have started reading or studying at all for the first semester? I know most say to just relax and enjoy this time off but I would feel a lot more at ease if I had some studying under my belt come the first week of school. If anything else just to get myself in that mode.

Nope. No studying for me. There's no point. Where do you start?

Just got my mcat score back..thought I would do a lot better...got a 20....OCPM requires a 21...how strict are they on this number?

hey everyone,

i hope everything is going well in your transition to OCPM. a lot of rest/relaxation is what i have been up to. that and catching up on a lot of television that i missed due to school and other stuff. well quick Q...are you all going to wait until the first day of classes to concern yourselves with books or are you going to try to purchase some before then? just curious about if any of you have thought about this yet. enjoy the rest of your summer :)

dayNight

hey everyone,

i hope everything is going well in your transition to OCPM. a lot of rest/relaxation is what i have been up to. that and catching up on a lot of television that i missed due to school and other stuff. well quick Q...are you all going to wait until the first day of classes to concern yourselves with books or are you going to try to purchase some before then? just curious about if any of you have thought about this yet. enjoy the rest of your summer :)

dayNight

As far as I know there is no book list available yet. I would love to be able to start ordering stuff off of Amazon or Half.com.

As far as I know there is no book list available yet. I would love to be able to start ordering stuff off of Amazon or Half.com.

i was going to wait until the middle of July then probably just email the instructors that will be teaching us this semester to figure out what book(s) they use for their class. hopefully they solve this for me and send out a book list soon. i don't want to wait until the first day of class to find out because that would obviously put me behind about a week or two in reading. until then :D

dayNight

Personally, I would wait until after you attend the first classes before you make decisions on books. I went through the first semester with only an anatomy atlas. Everyone learns differently, but i would say overall it is not necessary to buy a book for every class. Also, the school had a bookstore hold a sale at the school during the first or second week of class, so the books will be available to you then.

I've heard from students at both OCPM and Scholl that buying books is often a total waste. The 4th year who gave me my tour at OCPM told me that she never purchased a book throughout her years there, as all of the profs provide detailed notes. All of the test material, I'm told, is taken directly from these notes. I plan on waiting after the first day of classes to purchase any books if necessary.

I see everyone here is posting about apartments where they'll be living. That is something that really had me worrying. I'm hoping to enter OCPM, but I have no family from Ohio, nor a family that can afford to keep me up in an apartment. Neither will I be able to work enough to afford an apt, and maintain the grades during podiatric MEDICAL school!

How are you all paying? Is there a way to get it through financial aid graduate loans ?

Thanks!

You can pay with graduate loans or financial aid awards from the fafsa. You should have received a financial aid packet of information regarding OCPMs "housing allowance" when you went for your interview. I believe the allowance is around $7700/year (I may be wrong on the exact figure). I would assume you would pay this back to OCPM upon graduation in installments, as a loan. Contact OCPM and get more details on this plan. They give an "allowance" for almost everything you will need during school (i.e. travel expenses, food, etc.).

I see everyone here is posting about apartments where they'll be living. That is something that really had me worrying. I'm hoping to enter OCPM, but I have no family from Ohio, nor a family that can afford to keep me up in an apartment. Neither will I be able to work enough to afford an apt, and maintain the grades during podiatric MEDICAL school!

How are you all paying? Is there a way to get it through financial aid graduate loans ?

Thanks!
When you get excepted to a school, they will provide you with all the financials options in how to fund your education. Very few people actually work in professional schools. Most live off of loans or scholarships or a combination.