OChem IN OAT. PLZ PLZ HELP!!!

somaira

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I just started studying for OAT. I heard from my friends that OAT covers only OChem I and not Ochme II. Is this true? Can someone plz let me know what sections of OChem are covered in the exam? I would really appreciate it. Thanks! and best of luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but Organic II is definitely covered on the OAT. You can check out their website to see the exact sections covered on the test. If you have the practice test booklet, the sections are also outlined in the front of the book. Good luck!

I took the OAT in June, so hopefully I can give you enough helpful info!
As far as I know, you do not need organic chem II. However, going into the OAT I had already done both organics, and organic II definitely helped (If I remember correctly there were several questions on esterification, condensation reactions (claisin) and dienes). All of this is touched on in organic I, just not in the depth that it's covered in organic II. As long as you just look over it, know the basics about some of the end topics in organic I, you should be fine. They were very basic questions, nothing tricky. Know your core organic I stuff well.

PS. my organic OAT score was my highest, and I'm not particularly good at organic chem so you should be fine!

Hope that helped, good luck!

Sorry, but Organic II is definitely covered on the OAT. You can check out their website to see the exact sections covered on the test. If you have the practice test booklet, the sections are also outlined in the front of the book. Good luck!

hmm....I wonder, is the organic I course the same in every school? They may in fact be slightly different...?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think that it all depends on what topics were covered in your classes so its best to follow the topics that the oat says will be tested on

its important to know about that

Topics covered from school to school are virtually the same. Orgo 1 is the foundation...Orgo 2 is aromatic stuff. The only place where schools will differ is where they fit in the spectrometry - end of orgo 1 or beginning of orgo 2.

Regardless, you should be comfortable with everything - it's a matter of understanding the "language" of organic. It may seem like a bunch of memorizing rxns, but once you see the pattern and understand it - you can see what happens in any rxn. Furthermore, the ones on the OAT are fairly easy - many of mine were the standard "gotta know" rxns like dehydration of an alcohol, and plenty SN1, SN2, E1, E2 rxns. But there was Orgo 2. Kaplan summarizes the rxns well in their course book if all else fails.

Follow ASCO's scope of examination, and you'll never go wrong from there.

O Chem 2 was on my test for sure, although most of the material on the OAT was from O Chem 1.