Program-Specific Info / Q's Occupational Therapy- University of St. Augustine, Miami Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nglna

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Maybe someone would be able to give me some advice and input regarding my concerns:
I am interested in applying to the Occupational Therapy program at the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences and unfortunately, I am hearing mixed reviews from current students.
I am hearing that it was very expensive and that the education is mediocre. I am also hearing that half of the professors do not care about their students and do not properly prepare them for exams and the "real world" in terms of actual career.
Someone also made a comment that a few OT clinics and facilities refuse to hire post-graduate students as OT's because they are from this University.
Lastly, someone else made a comment that in their second year of field work, they were placed 2 hours from their home and the university refused to accommodate them and place them closer to home.
Should I look for other graduate programs or is everything I heard a fallacy?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on what campus. Every campus is different. I heard nothing but great things about the Dallas campus which is where I’ll be going

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know of this campus and hopefully you find more helpful info. I will advise it's always possible bad reviews may come from poor/dismissed students. Go to an information session and ask your questions directly to current students if possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Were you able to catch some of this thread? - General Admissions & OTCAS - Texas schools 2020-2021 stats

At the end of the day it is your decision and in a sense you are what you make of it. There are different campuses and of course people are going to have varying subsequent experiences. I do believe the best perspective to take is from current students and if that aligns with a program you want to be a part of. Yes of course you can learn information from their sessions and tours but as we all know from undergrad schools as well, it's as much of a sales pitch for schools as much as we sell ourselves to be good candidates in the interview process so of course they are going to put themselves in the best possible light. I do believe that people are more likely to voice their experiences when they are negative, but that doesn't make it invalid in any way. I am sure you will be able to find people who speak highly of their experience there too and see if its a good fit or not.

I know for me personally, I was looking at their San Marcos campus but was turned off on the idea how they always had a hybrid model (pre-pandemic) and you are watching lectures but still paying a pretty hefty amount. Of course it is important to consider they are a for profit school and I was turned off on the idea that they literally always have spots open seemingly no matter how soon the session is to start. Regardless, good luck!

The general consensus I have heard is that if you have the option of going to a more affordable school, you should absolutely do that. Additionally, St. Augustine is a for-profit school which may impact your ability to get federal student loans and/or financial aid, but I can't say that for certain. It's something to look into, though.

Were you able to catch some of this thread? - General Admissions & OTCAS - Texas schools 2020-2021 stats

At the end of the day it is your decision and in a sense you are what you make of it. There are different campuses and of course people are going to have varying subsequent experiences. I do believe the best perspective to take is from current students and if that aligns with a program you want to be a part of. Yes of course you can learn information from their sessions and tours but as we all know from undergrad schools as well, it's as much of a sales pitch for schools as much as we sell ourselves to be good candidates in the interview process so of course they are going to put themselves in the best possible light. I do believe that people are more likely to voice their experiences when they are negative, but that doesn't make it invalid in any way. I am sure you will be able to find people who speak highly of their experience there too and see if its a good fit or not.

I know for me personally, I was looking at their San Marcos campus but was turned off on the idea how they always had a hybrid model (pre-pandemic) and you are watching lectures but still paying a pretty hefty amount. Of course it is important to consider they are a for profit school and I was turned off on the idea that they literally always have spots open seemingly no matter how soon the session is to start. Regardless, good luck!
Thank you so much! Good luck to you as well.

Hey,
why do you not like a hybrid model? I would imagine it would make virtual classes more efficient since their remote learning system is already pre-established and how almost every OT school is remote for now. I understand it sucks to have to pay full tuition for online but every other school is doing the same thing. Their hybrid models were originally catered towards working students who could not attend regular classes.
Please let me know if I’m missing something! Thanks!

Hey,
why do you not like a hybrid model? I would imagine it would make virtual classes more efficient since their remote learning system is already pre-established and how almost every OT school is remote for now. I understand it sucks to have to pay full tuition for online but every other school is doing the same thing. Their hybrid models were originally catered towards working students who could not attend regular classes.
Please let me know if I’m missing something! Thanks!
Yes that is a valid point and I definitely see the positive effects if you chose to do their flex program. Of course COVID caused for OT programs to move to an online/hybrid model as it did for all schools practically. But, we are re-opening again and I know UC's and Cal states are going to be back in person in the fall and feel as though most programs are going back in person as well as we approach 'the new normal.' All it boils down to is that I do better learning in person and find it very hard to concentrate and learn from watching a video as opposed to a live lecture. Other programs would still have Zoom lectures as well and I feel as though its important to have that component where students can contribute towards the lecture, through questions and comments to better and learn and understand the material. Again, we all have varying learning styles so definitely does boil down to that. I do see how some people would rather do the lecture content on their own time and in person focus on labs and hands on components.

Yes that is a valid point and I definitely see the positive effects if you chose to do their flex program. Of course COVID caused for OT programs to move to an online/hybrid model as it did for all schools practically. But, we are re-opening again and I know UC's and Cal states are going to be back in person in the fall and feel as though most programs are going back in person as well as we approach 'the new normal.' All it boils down to is that I do better learning in person and find it very hard to concentrate and learn from watching a video as opposed to a live lecture. Other programs would still have Zoom lectures as well and I feel as though its important to have that component where students can contribute towards the lecture, through questions and comments to better and learn and understand the material. Again, we all have varying learning styles so definitely does boil down to that. I do see how some people would rather do the lecture content on their own time and in person focus on labs and hands on components.
Oh okay yeah I understand what you mean. I definitely can see both perspectives on online vs in class learning preferences. I also wanted to add that I might attend USAHS San Marcos program this summer and they have began making a few of their classes in person! So students will be meeting on a weekly basis. From what I can tell from our chief academic officer’s messages, they are trying their best to push mostly in person classes starting the upcoming fall semester for their residential program (different than FLEX program) while complying to the county’s regulations.