"Obstacles" in the secondaries ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JETER

Super Educated, I'm Smarter than Spock
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the optional essay on some secondaries, there is that question about obstacles that you have overcome. Is this reserved for real hardcore obstacles (like, for example, working while in college to support your parents, or being born with a handicap), or can we include "small" ones. I have one that I would like to include:

As a graduate student, I took our required Advanced Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics course. This class was insane. I worked over 40 hrs/wk just on the problem sets. But, I received the only A ever given in the class (except for the A received several years ago by the current instructor). As a result, I can become the first student in the program to graduate with a 4.0.

Obviously, this means a lot to me, but is it too trivial to include on the application? I did not mention this on the AMCAS or elsewhere. I really would appreciate your input. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

i would suggest calling the specific school and asking someone from the admissions office. i ran into the same issue while filling out my secondary applications and when i called to verify the intent of the "hardship paragraph" different schools gave me different answers.

Hi Hockebob,

Could you be more specific as to what schools you called and what kinds of replies you received from them? Jeter's question is one that has been on my mind as well and I greatly appreciate your input.

Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read on another post that you should answer those type of questions even if you think your experience wasn't that traumatic. Sorry I can't be more specific!

i figured people were going to ask me that and i wish i could remember, but i'll have to go back and check my files. i think i remember calling baylor and them saying that it was reserved for things like financial hardship or whatever. again, if you have any doubt, the best way is to just call the school yourself. they really don't mind.

aaron

if the question specifically addresses "hardship," you're going to have to define what a "hardship" is to you and if you think your experience was one. i think it's more about what you learned from it more than what it actually was. if you do not think your experience was a "hardship," then by all means leave it blank.

if the question is more general, like "tell us something else about you" or "if you had any hardship OR any other unique situation," then i would highly suggest you answer the question.