OBLC Orders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when orders for OBLC are set to come out for this summer?

_____
Sent via electrons by an Apple Gadget

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i too am actually awaiting orders! trying to get the uniforms.

you guys think they would let us show up without the ASU and just buy it from there?

i too am actually awaiting orders! trying to get the uniforms.

you guys think they would let us show up without the ASU and just buy it from there?

Yea that's what most of the people did in my class. It was pure chaos at the clothing store trying to get the uniforms and get them tailored. They ran out of some of the pins and shoulder bars.

Yea that's what most of the people did in my class. It was pure chaos at the clothing store trying to get the uniforms and get them tailored. They ran out of some of the pins and shoulder bars.

are there any disciplinary repercussions to this or would they be lenient?

are there any disciplinary repercussions to this or would they be lenient?

Repercussions to what? We had a uniform inspection a few days before graduation. Mostly it was so we could figure out how to wear the uniform with everything according to regs. It didn't count for a grade or anything. If you can't get it from the clothing sales store, go to www.iragreen.com and you can probably get it off there. It's the same stuff they have in store. If you didn't have everything last year, it was no big deal. I heard we were the first class in awhile that had to buy the dress uniform and have an inspection since the ASU's were new. Don't buy the ASU online. You need to get it fitted and tailored.

Your class advisor will give you all the information on uniforms. I wouldn't start buying anything for the ASU right now just in case you don't have to buy them. It's a cool uniform but I would've rather purchased it going into residency when I have more money. They clothing stipend didn't pay for everything and I paid a good amount out of pocket.

ah ok ill hold off on the ASU till i get to sam houston.

thanks for the information! :thumbup:

Well hold off on the pants and jacket...if you can get the other stuff (pins, shoulder boards, etc) before hand do...and I agree with bleeker...wait for the email from the class advisor to see if you need to get it. It is good to get it before going active cause technically many of the army residencies like you to interview with them in ur ASU. And if you can get ur ASU squared away before it counts for something it makes it all the easier than trying to thumb through a book showing pin placement the day before an interview...plus you can totally wear it to weddings and funerals and what not if ur into that.

If you have to get the ASU, get to the clothing store as soon as you can and get into the tailor as soon as you can to try and beat the mad rush...captain obvious i know, but ive been some peoples head spinning the first few days of training and learning the military way...

Last edited:
Another reason to get some of the stuff before you go is because it takes up a lot of your time having to go to clothing exchange and back to the dorms. When there are over 100 people going to the store to get stuff for their uniforms, you may have to go a couple times to get everything. FSH is a pretty big base if you walk it. There is a taxi you can take, but its $5 each way. I would just walk and I would use up 2-3 hours walking there, shopping and walking back. I wasn't used to being up at 0500 or 0600 and it made for a long day. Add to that the fact you have to prep your uniform, shave and mold your beret, get a haircut, do some PT on your own, etc and the day flies by really fast.

Or if you are like me and fry your laptop the first week and "have" to get a new Mac, you want to play around with it and learn the ins and outs of your new toy. But it was one of the best purchases I ever made.

Speaking of uniforms, anyone mind sharing whether we're supposed to wear our ACUs on the trip down to San Antonio? Seems like you could, though others have said I'd look like a dork (to which I responded, "that's normal").

Members don't see this ad :)
On the topic of ASU's, personally, my logic was that I'll have to get one eventually, so might as well now. Marlow White has great stuff. It was slightly cheaper than getting it at clothing sales. I took it to a tailor here and had it done in a few days. I bought the "Look Sharp" book for the Army. That is a great purchase. It tells you what goes where and comes with a ruler designed to help you put everything in the right place.

I've been slowly acquiring all of the stuff before I head down, just because I'm a tall guy and I know they'll be out of L, XTall ACU's when I get down there, or size 13 boots, etc.

Are we going to be issued anything, aside from field gear for the FTX? Do we need a duffle, or would normal luggage be acceptable?

Speaking of uniforms, anyone mind sharing whether we're supposed to wear our ACUs on the trip down to San Antonio? Seems like you could, though others have said I'd look like a dork (to which I responded, "that's normal").

No don't wear them there. Just wear civies and you will be fine. For the first couple days you will wear PT gear. I wore my ACUs on the way back, mainly because I had a lot of stuff and the ACUs (especially the boots) took up a lot of room.

I've been slowly acquiring all of the stuff before I head down, just because I'm a tall guy and I know they'll be out of L, XTall ACU's when I get down there, or size 13 boots, etc.

Do you have boots already? Most pairs of boots run two sizes bigger. Also, this is a big post so they will have your size. Just make sure you get there early in the week.

Are we going to be issued anything, aside from field gear for the FTX? Do we need a duffle, or would normal luggage be acceptable?

You will be issued an assault pack, helmet, rain gear, MOLLE vest, canteens, ammo pouches, sleeping bag and some other stuff. A lot of people bought a camo backpack to carry stuff in but I didn't. They are ridiculously expensive and overpriced IMHO. I just used the assault pack. I think we got it in the second or third week. I bought a cheapo ($20) black backpack just to carry stuff in to class. Once I got the assault pack, I stopped using the black backpack. As far as acceptable backpacks, it has to be black or camo with no visible logos (or they have to be covered).

do we take home all that issued gear? in other words....should I be planning on bringing home a lot more than I arrived with? I already have my ACUs, boots and pt gear.....just missing the ASU, so I was planning on just cramming all that into a bag with little left over room

do we take home all that issued gear? in other words....should I be planning on bringing home a lot more than I arrived with? I already have my ACUs, boots and pt gear.....just missing the ASU, so I was planning on just cramming all that into a bag with little left over room

Nope, anything that is issued to you for training purposes you have to turn back into supply.

You get to keep the pads for your helmet and the ballistics glasses. Otherwise you turn the rest in. I brought my golf clubs so I had to pack around them. If I didn't have them, I could've had another bad to carry stuff in.

Just curious if anyone has received their orders by mail yet? I was told I had a spot in this summers OBLC class by email and phone by HPSP army staff but no physical orders yet.

Just curious if anyone has received their orders by mail yet? I was told I had a spot in this summers OBLC class by email and phone by HPSP army staff but no physical orders yet.

You get them about 5 to 6 weeks before ur report date. I have a friend that is graduating this year and has to report June 6th and she just got her orders like friday. So they should come soon.

Yup, got my orders on Saturday as well, now who do we contact to make flight arraignments?

There should be a number provided for Carlson-Wagonlit. Otherwise go on MODS for the number. Make sure you fax/email your orders to them right after booking your flight

You know where I can get the phone number for them?

This is the number I found on MODS for Carlson Wagonlit: 1-800-709-2190. If you log in and go under FAQ --> ADT, it talks about travel

What time were ya'll arranging return flights on the 26th? I know graduation is early that morning, but I didn't schedule one until 1700 just to be safe.

So, got my orders yesterday. Decided to call Carlson Wagonlit today to make arrangements. The only flights available had me arriving in San Antonio at 1400 instead of 1200. I didn't think this would be a problem since I've seen in multiple places that they'll grant an "automatic exception" based on flight availability.

However, the woman at Carlson Wagonlit seemed to think she needed new orders to reflect this exception (but oddly she was more than willing to schedule me a day early). Anyone else have this issue? What did you do? How long would it take to get new orders?
I ran into the same issue. She said I would have to get my orders re-issued/re-written (or something like that) to reflect a later arrival time. She ended up being able to get with an arrival time of 11:56 am, thus technically arriving in san antonio before 12 :laugh:. I would say be persistent and tell her that they have already ok'ed us arriving later than what our orders say due to travel issues. Thats what I was going to do until she found a flight that put me there with 4 minutes to spare

So I lost a copy of my orders, well, probably didn't lose them, I just can't find them :\

How do I get a second copy of my orders?
I got a physical copy a week ago in the mail, then a few days ago a digital copy showed up in my email. I bet if you call that 800 number and talk to them they could email you one.

I just pulled this off of MODS: 1877MEDARMY

Well I found my orders just before I called to have the resent. And then I tried to get them amended because I'm going back home before I fly to San Antonio and where I go to school is about 7 hours away from home. But the travel agency will only approve me to fly out of where my school is and AMMED isn't willing to amend my orders so I can fly out of my home airport. Guess I'll be shelling out some case to buy a plane ticket

Well I found my orders just before I called to have the resent. And then I tried to get them amended because I'm going back home before I fly to San Antonio and where I go to school is about 7 hours away from home. But the travel agency will only approve me to fly out of where my school is and AMMED isn't willing to amend my orders so I can fly out of my home airport. Guess I'll be shelling out some case to buy a plane ticket

Yea this is similar to what happened to me last year. I was back home which is 16 hours away from our school but the only way I could get them to pay for it was to fly back to school and then go to FSH. I just bought a ticket and flew on my own. Then I tried to get it reimbursed but I never heard anything after I submitted the paperwork.

Have you guys received any emails from your class advisor? Anything about gear to bring? Let us know what they say and we can tell you what you really need compared to their list. I even brought my golf clubs and played while I was down there.

Yea this is similar to what happened to me last year. I was back home which is 16 hours away from our school but the only way I could get them to pay for it was to fly back to school and then go to FSH. I just bought a ticket and flew on my own. Then I tried to get it reimbursed but I never heard anything after I submitted the paperwork.

I think they changed the rules this year. Last year I called the HPSP office to get my orders amended to fly from Omaha to San Antonio because like Bleeker I was at home. They said that BOLC was the only time I would be allowed to fly from an airport not closest to my school. So they amended my orders. However, I recently talked with a 1st year at my school that is going to BOLC this summer and apparently they are not allowing people to fly from a different location. That kinda sucks knowing ticket prices are wicked high right now.

Have you guys received any emails from your class advisor? Anything about gear to bring? Let us know what they say and we can tell you what you really need compared to their list. I even brought my golf clubs and played while I was down there.

I am curious about glasses. I wear glasses, but I'm not blind without them. They say to bring 2 pair. If I bring one pair for classroom, plus a pair of prescription sunglasses for the field, will I be ok? Should I go get a cheap pair just to satisfy the requirement?

Did you ever use your cold weather PT gear?

I am curious about glasses. I wear glasses, but I'm not blind without them. They say to bring 2 pair. If I bring one pair for classroom, plus a pair of prescription sunglasses for the field, will I be ok? Should I go get a cheap pair just to satisfy the requirement?

You don't need to bring 2 pairs of glasses. Bring one pair to use in the classroom. They will fit everyone who wears glasses with a pair of BCG's, another pair of crap glasses (my vision was worse wearing these than not) and some lenses to go into the ballistics frames. For prescription sunglasses, make sure they are black and not "faddish".

Did you ever use your cold weather PT gear?

Nope don't even waste your money on cold weather PT gear. I did and regret buying it because I could've used the money for something else. When you do pt at 0500, it will still be in the 70's.

I think they changed the rules this year. Last year I called the HPSP office to get my orders amended to fly from Omaha to San Antonio because like Bleeker I was at home. They said that BOLC was the only time I would be allowed to fly from an airport not closest to my school. So they amended my orders. However, I recently talked with a 1st year at my school that is going to BOLC this summer and apparently they are not allowing people to fly from a different location. That kinda sucks knowing ticket prices are wicked high right now.

Yea I had this thought as well since there are so many students and most people are not at school for the summer. I just hope I don't run into this problem next year when I'm doing my ADTs.

Yea I had this thought as well since there are so many students and most people are not at school for the summer. I just hope I don't run into this problem next year when I'm doing my ADTs.

Yeah, that's the issue I'm going to have to worry about now. The rest of my rotations are back home and with my ADT's coming up I'm not sure how that's going to work with getting flights from back home to go out to my ADT's.

My other concern is that one of my ADT's ends on a friday and the next one begins that following monday. So Will they fly me directly to my next ADT or will I have to go to my airport of origin and then fly back out across the country

I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get my address changed for the rest of the year for my future ADT's

How can I go about getting copies of the SF1199A, DD93, and SGLI form that I filled out when signing up for HPSP? We're required to bring these to BOLC and I was never given copies from my recruiter.

How can I go about getting copies of the SF1199A, DD93, and SGLI form that I filled out when signing up for HPSP? We're required to bring these to BOLC and I was never given copies from my recruiter.

I think we filled out new copies of this information at BOLC. I'm almost positive we filled out the SGLI there. If you need copies of your application packet, I bet you could call the HPSP office and ask if they have it. Make sure you bring about 10-15 copies of your orders. Each department needs a couple copies so you will need to have a lot to give out.

Nope don't even waste your money on cold weather PT gear. I did and regret buying it because I could've used the money for something else. When you do pt at 0500, it will still be in the 70's.

could I save space and not even pack them or are they gonna do some random equipment check and yell at me for not having everything even if its not needed?

could I save space and not even pack them or are they gonna do some random equipment check and yell at me for not having everything even if its not needed?

good question! i wasnt planning on packing the cold weather pts. anyone have knowledge answering this?

Your class advisor should tell you to not even purchase it. They aren't gonna do an equipment check to see if you have it. The only time we had an equipment check is when we went to Bullis. They just wanted to make sure we didn't bring anything we shouldn't have (i.e. EtOH).