Army Army Reserve/ARNG Orders and MDSSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twist27896

Reaction score
I have 2 questions regarding joining the Army Reserves or Army National Guard as a medical student:

1. What kind of orders are you on during medical school? I had a reserve recruiter tell me that I would receive a title 10 order to APMC and a national guard recruiter tell me that I would only receive orders for drill and officer training. I am trying to protect my civilian aviation career while in medical school, and need to be on title 10 orders for the duration of school to trigger military leave. Our union's cba eliminates USERRA's 5 year limit as long as we are on orders.

2. As my main goal is to use the reserve or national guard to trigger military leave with the added effect of wanting to serve part time after residency, I have no need to use MDSSP incentives. I would prefer to just join as a medical student officer candidate without taking any incentives to reduce the service obligation as much as possible. I have been told this isn't possible from the reserve recruiter (that taking MDSSP is the only way to get slotted as a medical student). The national guard recruiter said it used to be possible, but wasn't sure if it still is. Does anyone have recent experience with this? Most forum posts regarding not taking MDSSP are at least a few years old.

Members don't see this ad.

The Guard recruiter is giving you accurate information, people in reserve components are not on any orders when not drilling, training, working, etc. USUHS and the Navy's HSCP are the only options for being on orders throughout medical school and both incur years of active duty obligation after medical school. Your second question is irrelevant because drill status is not going to get you USERRA protection.

Even if you find a potential avenue to make this work, I would speak with a lawyer if this is important to you particularly since it's going outside of the intended purpose of USERRA.

Reactions: 1 user