OAT with calculator?

jbaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'v just been reading in some threads that there is a calculator available on the REAL OAT exam for the QR section...is that correct?

Members don't see this ad.

No, you have been misinformed. There is no calculator available for any section of the OAT. You are given 2 dry erase boards and 2 dry erase markers to calculate your answers.

thank you! thats what i thought but i read this:

"I just took the OAT today with the calculator and it's NOT a scientific calculator, just a regular calculator that you would find with your computer. I didn't use it at all. You don't need it unless you want to punch in numbers to add, subtract, multiply or divide (which would be faster to solve without the calculator)."
..on a thread and i just got so confused thank you very much!

No, you have been misinformed. There is no calculator available for any section of the OAT. You are given 2 dry erase boards and 2 dry erase markers to calculate your answers.

That is incorrect.

As of May 1st 2010, the OAT now includes a standard calculator on screen for the quantitative reasoning section only.

Please consult the 2010 OAT handbook. The calculator is discussed on page 42, which is also the last page of the handbook. This page also shows you a screenshot of the calculator

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you! thats what i thought but i read this:

"I just took the OAT today with the calculator and it's NOT a scientific calculator, just a regular calculator that you would find with your computer. I didn't use it at all. You don't need it unless you want to punch in numbers to add, subtract, multiply or divide (which would be faster to solve without the calculator)."
..on a thread and i just got so confused thank you very much!

Here is the link to the 2010 OAT guide. Page 42 lists that you have a calculator for the QR section

https://www.ada.org/oat/oat_guide_2010.pdf

That is incorrect.

As of May 1st 2010, the OAT now includes a standard calculator on screen for the quantitative reasoning section only.

Please consult the 2010 OAT handbook. The calculator is discussed on page 42, which is also the last page of the handbook. This page also shows you a screenshot of the calculator

Oh seriously? Wow, my bad. I already took the OAT and finished applying and all that, but if I had known, maybe I would have postponed it hah.

That is incorrect.

thanks for that! i feel a little better now for the QR :)

thanks for that! i feel a little better now for the QR :)

yeah, the best part is they did NOT make it harder. questions like "which fraction is larger" i just number punch super fast. i dont even bother thinking about it. just punch up the calculator. QR still kicks my butt on some days. timing has always been my issue.

Good luck with everything jbaker :luck::thumbup:

Someone mentioned that the keyboard numbers doesn't work for the calculator so you have to click each number with the mouse, did anyone else have that happen?

Seriously, I hardly even used the calculator. Like someone said on a previous post. Most of the questions I received were either word problems, algebraic equations that needed to be simplified and other problems concerning geometry. The Calculator was only good for about 2 problems and even that was after I manipulated the equations. But the problem difficulty didn't seem at all harder than what I prepared for.

hmm yea i cann see my self running out of time bc of the calculator. but I just registered for sept 1st so ill find out then i guess! :) good luck to everyone and thanks!

hmm yea i cann see my self running out of time bc of the calculator. but I just registered for sept 1st so ill find out then i guess! :) good luck to everyone and thanks!

I took my OAT a few days ago. Confirmed: YOU CANNOT USE THE NUMBER KEY WITH THE CALCULATOR. you have to click on each number. I did not experience any lag, as some people have.

I used the calculator for only 1 or 2 problems where i felt accuracy was needed.