OAT Test-taking skills

Optiman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Kaplan course and found it extremely helpfull. My instructor gave me a few indespensible test-taking skills I will try to pass on.

First of all I will say that I am not traditionally good at standardized tests. My SAT score was about 1060 (with no prep).

OAT Scores:

AA: 390
TS: 400

1) If you take a prep course, use it to the fullest extent. The most helpfull thing is taking LOTS of practice tests.

2) THIS IS MY MOST IMPORTANT POINT. For the math section (and any other sections in which time is an issue for you) GUESS ON ANY QUESTION THAT WILL TAKE TIME. Almost no one finishes the math section. All questions are worth the same amount. Even if you know how to answer a question, if it will take awhile, make a best guess, mark it to review later, and move on. This is one of the best things you can do to improve your math score.

3) Learn all your Chemistry equasions in a general way. The problems are solved in equasion format. Knowing concepts can score easy and quick points.

4) Know nomenclature for OChem. This scores easy points.

5) For the reading comp section my strategy was this. Read the first question or 2, then start the essay. On scrap paper write a few things (1-3 lines at most) on the gist of each paragraph and some statistics. If you answer your first question before you are done (likely), answer it and read the next questions, then continue reading the paragraph and so on. Number your paragraphs. When you go to start the questions you have not answered, you can look on your summary sheet at what paragraph to look at. IF THE QUESTION REQUIRES TOO MUCH TIME SKIP IT AND GO TO THE NEXT ONE.

Main Point: EVERY QUESTION IN EACH SECTION IS WORTH THE SAME VALUE FOR THAT SECTION. While it may be hard for overachievers to skip questions they can answer, test taking skills are the key to the OAT.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the tips-- i took Kaplan too and it was helpful but I just have nerves that are way too nervous right now. :/
For math--i choose to do the ones I can actually answer really quickly. LIke arithmetic and algebra--if i can do the q's quickly, I do it first. I know it's like impossible to finish the math section. :/ Just not enough time.

THanks for the tips about O-chem and G-chem... I'm going to review nomenclature and certain reagents tomorrow....

How was physics? Any words of wisdom for that section? ::especially nervous about that section::

wow, those scores are incredible! I'm taking the OAT in the middle of May, keep those study tips coming! :)

Thanks for the tips-- i took Kaplan too and it was helpful but I just have nerves that are way too nervous right now. :/
For math--i choose to do the ones I can actually answer really quickly. LIke arithmetic and algebra--if i can do the q's quickly, I do it first. I know it's like impossible to finish the math section. :/ Just not enough time.

THanks for the tips about O-chem and G-chem... I'm going to review nomenclature and certain reagents tomorrow....

How was physics? Any words of wisdom for that section? ::especially nervous about that section::

If you took Kaplan you are fine. Everything I did in Kaplan (I bought the online course) was way, way, way harder than what was on the actual OAT. If you are comfortable with the Kaplan material, you will score well on the test. Also I have to agree with the original post, make sure to answer all of the questions that you know first and then when guessing, guess the same letter everytime to increase the probability of correct answers. Good luck, once you take the test it's a BIG relief to finally have it over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Less than 24 hours for me.... thanks ODuck for your encouragment-- i've done all the practice tests they gave me and also all the subject tests. I've gone over all the answers I've gotten wrong, used the flashcards, have gone to every class and have read all the review notes....
i'm just nervous and frightened that i did horribly in physics and math the last time i took a practice test... hopefully i'll do much better tomorrow.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey optoforme,

Good luck tomorrow!! You're going to do great!

You couldn't have done worse than me - got a 230 on one of Kaplan's tests and my exam is in two weeks :( Everything else was over 300 but I just can't get that Physics score up.

Let us know how it goes - stay positive!