OAT scores 6/21

cessna

Future OD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the OAT today and scored a TS (total science) of 400 and an AA (academic average) of 390. What a relief after worrying about this exam for so long!!

For those of you who, like I did, enjoy browsing for advice on preparing for the OAT, here's what helped me:

I studied minimally from the big Kaplan book, which I received for free from a friend. However, as a quick resource to brush up on things I didn't remember well, the big book was invaluable. More helpful to me were the Kaplan flashcards and the practice tests available in the little Kaplan OAT book (the one you can purchase from Barnes and Noble). I spent the vast majority of my time browsing through and taking practice exams, then focused on areas I did poorly in. Overall, I took 2 full-length practice exams plus the free, but abbreviated practice exam at a Kaplan center and sections of the ASCO practice booklet. Unless this isn't enough, I wouldn't recommend paying for any other study materials.

The most difficult thing for me were the time limits. I practiced hard to be able to do physics and math problems quickly and to read more rapidly, and I improved quite a bit. The hard work paid off - I finished each section of the OAT with plenty of time to review problems I wasn't sure on.

For those of you who are still preparing, good luck!! Feel free to ask me any fair questions about what I did to be ready for exam day.

See you in optometry school!!

Members don't see this ad.

wow, great job!! Are you applying for fall '08, and what schools are you interested in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your scores make it look easy! You said your Kaplan scores were on average about 40 points lower than the real thing. Did you feel like the real OAT was a breeze? It sounds like it, and your scores prove it!

In answer to all of the above posts...

I studied pretty faithfully for a couple of hours a day for the past month and a half, then began taking full-length practice exams for the past 2 weeks.

As far as where I hope to go, Pacific or bust! :) Pacific is by far my top choice of where I would like to attend. My wife's family lives in nearby Washington, some of our good friends are already enrolled at the school, I admire Pacific's emphasis in curriculum, and we both love the northwest. I'm also looking at Ohio State, Indiana, and SCCO - all places that offer top-notch educations with slightly different strengths.

Regarding the exam, I wouldn't say the OAT was easy. I definitely put in some time to study all the things I'd grown hazy on or never learned in my courses. However, the real OAT was definitely easier than the Kaplan tests designed to mimic it. I only encountered one item (other than some obscure bio facts) on the real exam that I hadn't learned before, and that was a strange compound in the OChem section. If you've taken the courses you need and studied hard in them, preparing for the OAT will just mean remembering things you have learned already but forgotten.

Best of luck to everyone!

Pacific or bust! :) Pacific is by far my top choice of where I would like to attend. My wife's family lives in nearby Washington, we have friends already enrolled at the school, I admire Pacific's emphasis in curriculum, and we both love the northwest. I'm also looking at Ohio State, Indiana, and SCCO.

Good man...:D

In answer to all of the above posts...

I studied pretty faithfully for a couple of hours a day for the past month and a half, then began taking full-length practice exams for the past 2 weeks.

As far as where I hope to go, Pacific or bust! :) Pacific is by far my top choice of where I would like to attend. My wife's family lives in nearby Washington, some of our good friends are already enrolled at the school, I admire Pacific's emphasis in curriculum, and we both love the northwest. I'm also looking at Ohio State, Indiana, and SCCO - all places that offer top-notch educations with slightly different strengths.

Regarding the exam, I wouldn't say the OAT was easy. I definitely put in some time to study all the things I'd grown hazy on or never learned in my courses. However, the real OAT was definitely easier than the Kaplan tests designed to mimic it. I only encountered one item (other than some obscure bio facts) on the real exam that I hadn't learned before, and that was a strange compound in the OChem section. If you've taken the courses you need and studied hard in them, preparing for the OAT will just mean remembering things you have learned already but forgotten.

Best of luck to everyone!

Amazing scores cessna. Pacific will be very lucky to have you! Congrats!

More helpful to me were the Kaplan flashcards and the practice tests available in the little Kaplan OAT book (the one you can purchase from Barnes and Noble).

Can someone (or cessna yourself) direct me to whats being talked about here?

I have the Kaplan OAT 07-08 Practice Test Book, but it doesn't contain flashcards.

Thanks.

I'd also like to confirm that THE best study resource before doing all the practice tests (which you should do a lot of) is obviously the Kaplan OAT book,

If that is not available, the 2nd best book to use is the Kaplan DAT book?, with physics from the MCAT book?, Correct?.

Sorry if these may seem like redundant questions, but I'm getting some really contradictory answers.

Thanks again.